Ping Eye 2 Lob Wedge ID Help.

Raj70Raj70 Members Posts: 21 ✭✭

So, I picked up a set of Ping Eye 2’s 4-PW, SW for quite the good price.... I figured I’d round out the set with a Lob Wedge and found a great deal on one locally (it only cost me $12). Anyway, long story short, it appears to be a replacement club? I’m not sure.... I’m definitely no expert. So, the question is, what grooves does this one have?

Comments

• kftgolferkftgolfer New JerseyMembers Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the raised dot on the back above the "U.S." signifies the newer grooves like the Eye2 Plus models.

• Raj70Raj70 Members Posts: 21 ✭✭

But, it’ll still have the loft of the Original Eye 2 LW? It definitely looks like a 61 degree wedge.

• NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'd have the loft measured. That club is OLD and you can't be assured of any particular numbers based on published specs.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"

Good call, I will get it checked.

@Nessism said:
    I'd have the loft measured. That club is OLD and you can't be assured of any particular numbers based on published specs.

• agolf1agolf1 Members Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just call Ping/give them the serial number and they will be able to tell you what grooves it has for sure. The sole is definitely that of the original version and the loft should be 61 degrees unless it was bent. I would also say that it looks like this club may have been refinished. The black paintfill in PING EYE2 in the cavity did not exist until the XG/Gorge models.

Below is some info that was posted before about the grooves.

• "V" groove models manufactured from 1982 through Summer 1984, identified by PAT. PENDING in cavity and KARSTEN MFG CORP PHOENIX AZ 85068 U.S.A. upside-down on back of top rail.
    • Eye2 Lite models introduced in 1984, identified by PAT. PENDING in cavity and KARSTEN PHOENIX AZ 85068 U.S.A. right-side-up on back of top rail.
    • "U" groove models manufactured from Fall 1984 to Fall 1985, identified by U.S. PAT. D276644 OTHERS PEND. in cavity.
    • Radiused "U" groove models manufactured from Fall 1985 to March, 1990, identified by U.S. PAT. D276644 and 4.512.577 in cavity.
    • Modified "U" groove models manufactured after April, 1990 identifed by dot beneath patent numbers in cavity.
    • "New EYE2" models with reshaped soles, increased perimeter weighting, less bounce in wedges, and stronger lofts than the original EYE2 were first introduced in November of 1989. Identified by U.S. Pat. 4.512.577 and 4.621.813 in cavity, club heads produced before March 31, 1990 had no "+" in the cavity.
    • In April of 1990, a "+" was added to the cavity, and this model became the EYE2+.

Titleist 915 D4 10.5*, Diamana S+ Blue 60 S-Flex
    Titleist 915F 16.5* & 21.0*, Diamana S+ Blue 70 S-Flex
    Ping G25 5-PW (25*-44*), UW (49*), SW (54*), CFS R-Flex
    Ping Zing 2 L/S (57*)
    Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Putter
    Backup Lob Wedges:  Ping Eye 2+ (58*) or Ping Eye 2 XG (60*)
    edited Aug 15, 2019 11:33pm #7

Okay, so I called PING and got the info on my Eye 2 LW. He said it was originally part of a 3 Wedge Set (W, PW, SW) and that it was a specialty build for the “Tour”.... This would explain the black paint fill. The grooves match those of the PING i3 Wedges. It was originally lofted at 60 degrees. I asked for a date of manufacture, but he couldn’t supply me with that and said that the last update on the Serial Number was in 2002. I would assume they were made after the i3’s were released in 1999, right? I have a set of i3’s and quite like them. 👍🏻

Thanks for your help everyone!!

Post edited by Raj70 on
  • BunkerFinderBunkerFinder Members Posts: 35 ✭✭

I’d ID that wedge as one **** of a score then! Enjoy it!

@BunkerFinder said:
    I’d ID that wedge as one **** of a score then! Enjoy it!

Will do! It’s an interesting piece, for sure.

Well, I just found the matching 56 degree SW with the same serial number... It’s on the way here. I’m pretty surprised. I got them both from 2nd Swing, but the 60 was purchased locally in MD and the SW was purchased online from their AZ Location.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file