Nashville area in October

Austincountyag

> @Austincountyag said:

> flying in and meeting up with a buddy who lives about 45 min south of Nashville. I am flying in early Wed and leaving late Saturday. Looking to play 36 at least one, possibly two days. Public options only please. How would yall set up the trip?

Is he off I-24 or I-65? I can give you recommendations based off both options.

> @Jonesey07 said:

> > @Austincountyag said:

> > flying in and meeting up with a buddy who lives about 45 min south of Nashville. I am flying in early Wed and leaving late Saturday. Looking to play 36 at least one, possibly two days. Public options only please. How would yall set up the trip?

>

> Is he off I-24 or I-65? I can give you recommendations based off both options.

closer to spring hill area I think

Spring Hill is home to King's Creek. I wasn't impressed with the course but I've only played it once and that was 6-7 years ago so things may have changed since then.

You can make the drive over to Dickson (West on 840) to play Greystone which IMO is one of the best public courses in the state. There's also Montgomery Bell just a few minutes away but I've never played there. If you make it towards Murfreesboro (East on 840) there's Old Fort, Indian Hills, and Champion's Run. I'd rank them in that order. If you are wanting two different 18's, Old Fort and Indian Hills would make for a fun day. They are about 15-20 minutes away from each other with plenty of food options to stop between rounds.

Franklin has what is now known as Franklin Bridge Golf Course formerly known as Forrest Crossing. I enjoyed the course the 4-5 times I've played there but it's been a couple years so your mileage may vary.

• Like 1

Franklin Bridge has a new owner this year, and he has really done a good job improving the course. I played Kings Creek 2 weeks ago, its not nearly in as good of shape as Franklin Bridge. Dead spots in the greens, fairways needed to be mowed, etc. The greens at FB are really good. Thats about it in this area for public courses, other than Cheekwood the 9 hole course.

Actually you will be fairly close to Henry Horton State Park Golf Course. Played there a couple of weeks ago, and their greens are currently as good as any in Middle Tennessee, including the private courses.

I have played all the courses in this thread. If you can make it to Old Fort in Murfreesboro, their course is always very well maintained. Greystone is nice. I have not played there recently, but they have bent grass. The greens are usually great in the spring and fall but can get a little beat up in the middle of summer.

Unless you just want the convenience I would avoid Kings Creek. Franklin Bridge would be much better than the 9 hole Cheekwood. Sweetens Cove is as unique, interesting and fun as any course you will play. However, it might be a bit of a drive for you.

The Hermitage courses are nice, but again a bit of a drive for you.

Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...

I have time for two rounds in Nashville last week of October. I am a clubcorp member but not sure if the courses there are worth it, or even open since one round would be a Monday afternoon. So where to play? I am staying downtown, could probably drive up to an hour Monday round. Wednesday morning I need something closer to the airport.

excited for my trip next week. First day we are playing my buddies home club corp course (cant recall the name), second day making the drive to sweetens (super pumped), third day greystone and fourth playing the gaylord. pumped. hopefully the weather cooperates

> @Austincountyag said:

> excited for my trip next week. First day we are playing my buddies home club corp course (cant recall the name), second day making the drive to sweetens (super pumped), third day greystone and fourth playing the gaylord. pumped. hopefully the weather cooperates

At Greystone hit driver on 1 straight away and 10, aim at the green side bunkers. It's just easier.

For the life of me I can't get my head around the Greystone love. I just do not care for most holes out there.

For the course alone I would put Legacy above Greystone. Legacy gets knocks from me for a weak stretch 15 - 17 and for the fact it has housing on a few holes (4, 5, 6, 10, 13, 14, 15), but Legacy's weak stretch is just that, weak, not shoe-horned into an awkward corner of the property.

Twelve Stones is underrated.

Nashville is incredibly weak from a public golf standpoint. No argument from me on that.

I would think the area between White House, Goodlettsville, Gallatin/Hendrsonville would be prime location for a course. But it is also prime location for a subdivision and the economics say build the subdivision.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to give a quick recap of my trip from last week. Flew in on Wed morning and we played the front nine at my fiends course in Columbia. Can't recall the name but it was a fairly generic course, but the greens were excellent. I enjoyed it a lot. We had the course to ourselves. That afternoon he pulled some strings and we were able to play Westhaven in Franklin. The course was nice and in good shape. A very good set up with the nice clubhouse and on a beautiful piece of property.

Thursday we made the drive to Sweetens and it was awesome. Course was in excellent shape and greens were rolling at about a 12. It was a very cool place and well worth the drive. Just a super cool atmosphere and golf experience.

Friday we stayed close to home and played Kings Creek. It reminded me of my home course. Nothing stood out but it was a fun place to play.

Sat before flying out we played the Opryland Course. It was a slow round but again a very fun, beautiful course. Loved the holes up against the tree/rock line where the road comes in to the clubhouse.

Overall every course had great greens, and the weather was perfect. For a quick golf trip, that was very affordable it was well worth it. I am sure I will be back one day.

• 1 month later...

Not to hijack this thread but I didn’t want to create a new topic. I am heading to Nashville for the girlfriends family Christmas. We have a free day and I got the all clear for golf and thinking of making the trek to Sweetens Cove. How are courses this time of year? How long is day light? I would leave Nashville early, 6-7 and hope to get an early tee time. If enough time in the day, could I squeeze another 18 in? Is it worth checking at Sewanee for an additional 9/18 if I’m heading that way or replay Sweetens? Thanks for the input!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.5* HZRDUS Smoke 70X
Titleist 917F2 15* Diamana D+ 80x
Mizuno MP18 SC 3-PW KBS C Taper S+
Muira Wedge Series 51* 55* 59* KBS C Taper S
Toulon Portland H3
Srixon Z-Star XV / Snell MTB-X

If there has been rain before you get there, Sweetens will probably be very wet. It sits in a low area with a creek running beside it. Definitely call before going. I haven't played Sewanee but hear it's real good. If you leave that early and it's a sunny day, you could probably do 18 to 27 at Sweetens then 9 at Sewanee.

Gets too dark to play about 5:00 if it isn't overcast.

My advice would be to leave earlier from nashville. Being on the eastern edge of the central time zone you don't have much daylight in the evenings this time of year. It gets light around 6:15am though. Play 18 early at Sweeten's (whenever they let you out). Choke down lunch somewhere and play 9 at Sewanee on your way back. Both courses are only nine holes but when I last played Sewanee they only have one hole cut per green where I think Sweetens cuts two.

That also gets you up on the mountain in the afternoon and gives it a chance to warm up. Guy in the pro shop at Sewanee told me that they stay about 8* cooler than down in the valley where Sweeten's is.

They get snow on the plateau pretty regular where Nashville won't get snow. Be mindful of that.