I think I've found it. Here's my take on Hogan's Secret.

WinKiePie ·  
WinKiePieWinKiePie  149Members Posts: 149
Joined:  edited Today @ 1:28am in Hogan's Heroes Swing Forum #1

I know Mr.Hogan has been long gone and now smiling down from the golf heavens chuckling at all our feeble attempts to unearth his secret. So unfortunately he can't be here to confirm nor deny anything anyone of us "Hogan Nut" has come up with regarding his swing. So with this I am simply saying "It is my best guess that this might be his secret not that I know his secret".
First of all I would like to start by saying I am well aware that I have zero credentials on this forum or anywhere for that matter. Most of you will think I'm trolling or simply just... juvenile. I get that. I myself also have never trusted anyone claiming to know Hogan's swing . With that as an irony, I believe I've somehow discovered how to swing the golf club in a similar fashion as Mr. Ben Hogan. To prove this, I will use it to get a golf instructor level pro card.
A little about me. I've been playing golf for over 14 years now and would have a hard time breaking 90. I've spent my life as a big fan of Mr. Hogan and his swing because like him, I also hook the ball whenever under pressure. I've read his interviews and books. Watched any of his swing clips i could find. Rushing to the range or backyard to try any swing ideas I get from following the bread crumbs. As we all do, mostly to miserable failure. I've never thought it was possible to decode his swing until i had an idea to tried reverse engineering it. Looking at his swing backward lead to me accidentally discovering a drill to make me feel the Hogan impact zone. And from this drill, I was able to start putting the pieces together. I kept at it until I can be certain where each body parts needs to be at set-up, backswing and transition. It sure is a "feeling of greatness" to hit the ball straight all the time. The clubface never flips shut "even if I try". I showed it to my friends and it worked for them as well. Some golfer I met jokingly called my swing the "robot swing" because it produces straight boring shots all the time. Before using this swing, my best score would be an 83 on a very easy and short course. So it amazes me that by using this swing I'm able to regularly break 80 and in many rounds shot even par with very bad putting. My swing on camera looks similar to Mr. Hogan's especially from P6 to P8. I knew this because my teaching pro was kind enough to compare my swing and Mr.Hogan's frame by frame both down the line and frontview using the V1. Hitting shots that goes where I aim now seems so much easier. With bad shots resulting from mis-alignment, wrong club selection or my inability to control distance. I still do not know how to use this swing to shape shots at the moment. It usually goes dead straight or a very slight left to right drift.
I know some of you will think I'm trying to sell you guys an e-book or some training program to make money. I AM NOT!
Golf have become so much fun for me and i hope to do the same for my fellow golfers. I'm still finding a coherent way to explain in words how to do it. So please bear with me...
In regards to what I think Mr.Hogan's swing and his swing secret or "secrets" is about...
1. I believe there is indeed a secret. I'm actually using it right now to shoot respectable scores with poor distance control and putting! LOL
2. To use Hogan's secret effectively, one must also incorporate all of his swing components. We "must" have all the pieces or it simply wouldn't work.

The Grip
A neutral to weak grip positioned more in the palms of the lead hand works best. So at impact the clubface is ever so slightly open or square. And the way he "activates" his hands-arms unit at address is also the key component to the secret. It creates the pressure and restrictions for the stable clubface at impact. This is a "must" if one was to wield the club through impact with a super flat lead wrist like Hogan.

The Set-up
This is also unique from the traditional set-up. To the naked eyes it looks similar but it isn't. If done correctly, the automated weight shift at the top of the backswing where Hogan looks like he is backing up against the target at the top of the backswing will happen all by itself. One would be in a strong position to unwind as hard as one would like without getting caught in the dreaded "spin-out" and "over the top" move that plagues most amatures and high handicappers.

The Backswing
When people think of Hogan's flat backswing. They will try to emulate it by whipping the clubhead way inside the hands at P2. Which gets them flat but stuck at the top, which leads to the over the top or severe in-to-out flip release. If you watch Hogan's backswing from down the line, his clubhead never gets inside his hands at P2. Yet he arrives at the top very flat and unstuck. Another thing is that he stands real upright at address but at the top his swing is real flat. How did he manage do that? And why? The answer is to achieve the pure rotary motion around his spine in the backswing and the automated slotting of the club in the transition.

The Transition
Funnily enough the transition will happened all by itself if we implement the previous parts correctly. The term "swinging in a barrel" only works if you've already master everything else leading to this part. Or else one would spin out of control leading to all kinds of bad shots. And yes, for those ready to pounce on me saying that Hogan did have tons of lateral move and not just a spin. You are correct. But what if he never tried to do that. What if he only felt like he "spins his hips" just as he demonstrated in the Shell Wonderful World of Golf video about the importance of the lower body.

What if I tell you that to him the lateral move happened automatically from his unique set-up and backswing. Would you believe me?

The downswing
He goes through the hitting area from P6 to P8 with the "skipping the rock underhand" motion. He does it by pure rotation of his body. This is why we never see the butt end of his club pointing back at the camera after P8 from down the line in any of his swing clips. The way he goes through the shot, some called it "exiting low and left" or "turning the corner". His trail arm sliding underneath the lead arm while squaring the clubface with "the secret".

So what is "THE SECRET" exactly?

The simplest way I can put it is this... "Hit the ball with the rotation of the body while squaring the clubface with both the lead and trail hands at it's maximum supination counter balancing one another."

Before the Secret

After the Secret

So you guys do the math... that's how he never hooked the ball ever again.

So what exactly did Hogan's secret achieved?
"Eliminating the flip release for good" was the secret!

But let us forget about Hogan's secret for a moment and get back to the basics. Anybody with just a tiny understanding of the golf swing already knows that the flip can be prevent by good sequencing. Keeping everything rotating through the shot and the hands can't flip over. The flip happens when the body stops while the hands still have to complete it's range of motion. The trail hand cross over the lead hand from clubhead wanting to move forward due to it's momentum. It is only natural when that happens. So the fact that the hands will always want to "flip" or cross over eventually somewhere in the downswing is not a fault in one's swing. Don't fight it. You'll lose almost everytime.

Now back to Hogan's. He found a better way to eliminated the flip by "reprogramming" his hands to come through impact in a different way. He squares the clubface through the hitting area with the hands already at it's maximum rotation from P6. He couldn't rotate the clubface close even if he tries to. So he just keep that pressure intact and goes through the shot as hard as he wants. How did he achieved this impact dynamic consistently under tournament pressure after being a chronic hooker of the ball all his life? What idea came to him one night? Yep, he found a secret alright. Look at his face when he hits the ball in the after pic. Does he looks like he was holding anything back? He's smashing the living sh*t out of the ball. Hitting hard without relying on timing to square the clubface is indeed the golfer's holy grail.

Oh, and contrary to popular belief, the secret helps fix slices as well. So anyone who knows how to activate it will not slice either. Who would have thought eh?! I know many Hogan expert will disagree with me about this. But it did help my friend who's a chronic slicer so that's good enough for me.

Please forgive me, I'm not a teaching professional so it is very difficult for me to articulate to you guys how to achieve all these positions and feelings. I find it easier to show this to my friends in person. Being able to guide their body parts and club, letting them feel the swing as it happens works wonders. But I will try my best to come up with better ways to explain all these ideas through words in the future".

In the videos below, I'm trying to show u guys the dynamic of swinging the hands, arms, body and club "FREELY" with very little to no conscience effort to "STEER" anything. It is just me going along for the ride. Sorry for such a poor quality video. And I do realized that I am swinging a yellow plastic children's golf club. I know it looks retarded. I will try to record my on course and driving range swing once I get a proper camcorder and tripod. Without my teaching pro's help I am hopeless. I know people will say I'm an idiot for claiming to know Hogan's swing. And they might be right! And again, thank you all for tolerating my insolence. For those who feel like I'm just glorifying my own aha moment... you might be right as well! LOL. It happens to us mortals alll the time in this quest to find the perfect swing. But I'll try to prove you wrong. Thank you for your patience reading my overenthusiastic rant. Respect to all the members here including the teaching professionals who I am sure took one look at my post and videos, rolled their eyes and felt pity for my soul. Will post more videos in the future and hopefully i can get this pro card soon.

Posted:
Post edited by WinKiePie at

Comments

• EzgolferEzgolfer  3172Members Posts: 3,172

Interesting...

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • GinoxeGinoxe  1Members Posts: 1

This is personally the most stress free swing I learned online

Posted:
  • farmerfarmer  8243Members Posts: 8,243

In that little film clip, I have always enjoyed the "now, if you don't mind ...".

Posted:
  • WinKiePieWinKiePie  149Members Posts: 149

@farmer said:
    In that little film clip, I have always enjoyed the "now, if you don't mind ...".

Me too! I can watch this clip everyday and never get bored. I love the way he talks and carries himself on and off the course. A true gentleman.

Posted:

@Ginoxe said:
    This is personally the most stress free swing I learned online

If there's any part that I've failed to articulate please feel free to ask. I will try my best to explain it ok. Cheers!

Posted:
  • Man_O_WarMan_O_War  3099Members Posts: 3,099

love your passion for the sport. I actually find Hogan's old swing visually more appealing but the results of the change cannot be denied. he also had plenty of the old skill to make the new changes work, how well he used his body/pivot, keeping the swing plane so true, even the so called flip release was on plane and that grip change.. a genius. I do like the voices of the old recordings. I suspect it had a lot to do with the technology at the time or how gentlemen spoke....they had this old style movie way of speaking. Very cool. dead now

Posted:
    Cobra F9 Camo/LTD PRO/LTD BLACK  Matrix F6M2/Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ 
    Cobra LTD 3/4 Kai'li 80
    Cobra LTD 4/5 Kai'li 80
    TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
    Srixon Z-Forged 120x 4-pw
    RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
    TM Spider DJ Sightline Black Tour Spider 
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement

@Man_O_War said:
    love your passion for the sport. I actually find Hogan's old swing visually more appealing but the results of the change cannot be denied. he also had plenty of the old skill to make the new changes work, how well he used his body/pivot, keeping the swing plane so true, even the so called flip release was on plane and that grip change.. a genius. I do like the voices of the old recordings. I suspect it had a lot to do with the technology at the time or how gentlemen spoke....they had this old style movie way of speaking. Very cool. dead now

Watching his interviews gave me as much pleasure as watching his swing. Pure class.

Posted:
  • SuperbritSuperbrit  564Members Posts: 564

Ignoring all the Hogan stuff, in there somewhere you say your trying to turn pro after shooting par a few times? Is that right?

I admire your optimism

Posted:

Taylormade M6 10.5* (down to 9.5)
    Taylormade M6 Rocket 14
    3 wood
    Taylormade M6 18* 5 wood
    Adams DHY 21*
    Honma TW717V irons 5-PW
    Honma TW forged 50*
    Cleveland RTX4 RAW 54/60*
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5CB

@Superbrit said:
    Ignoring all the Hogan stuff, in there somewhere you say your trying to turn pro after shooting par a few times? Is that right?

I admire your optimism

Just for a golf instructor pro card. Not touring pro card. But I get what you're saying. I am indeed an optimist. LOL

Posted:
  • EzgolferEzgolfer  3172Members Posts: 3,172

Can you post some video’s on the range hitting golf balls. Thanks

Posted:

@Ezgolfer said:
    Can you post some video’s on the range hitting golf balls. Thanks

Will do sir.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji