Tamping down spike marks.

denkea ·  
denkeadenkea Members  442WRX Points: 110Handicap: 10.1Posts: 442 Greens

When the new rules came out I was all for tamping down spike marks. But after watching WGC this past weekend I'm not so sure. I watched Patrick Reed on a 3 foot put tamp down virtually the whole distance from the ball to the hole. Less a few inches. Looked hokey to me. Why not tamp down as hard as you can on the line? Your ball won't go off line then.

And, if you watched Bryson Deschambeau take out his displeasure with 3 putting on the green (Lee Westwood took exception to this) It looked like he couldn't help but do some damage to the green.

Just venting on my part.

Posted:

Comments

• LondonerLondoner Members  1555WRX Points: 344Handicap: 10Posts: 1,555 Platinum Tees

I think you're right. Totally open to abuse.

Posted:
    Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
    taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • HitEmTrueHitEmTrue North TexasMembers  6820WRX Points: 597Posts: 6,820 Titanium Tees

To make a “track” for the ball to ride in would be very time consuming...would require pressing down on the ENTIRE line, otherwise the ride would be bumpy and more apt to go offline. It could take up to thirty-six press-downs on a three foot putt...depending on the width of the putter.

He wasn’t doing anything remotely like that.

Posted:
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 IowaClubWRX  20881WRX Points: 4,846Posts: 20,881 ClubWRX

Bryson could have done that before the rule change.

Didn’t see anything odd watching all the coverage the last 3 rounds.

But since Reed did something . . .

Posted:
  • Mr. BeanMr. Bean Members  4884WRX Points: 469Handicap: 3,8Posts: 4,884 Titanium Tees

When this change in the Rules was planned the RBs were concerned about the pace of play should repairing spike marks et al be allowed. After thorough pondering they decided to go for it and rely on the Rules of undue delay and this is how it should be IMHO.

Once Reed or anyone else starts tampering down all the imperfections on the surface it is just fine as long as he stays within the 40 second limit. I don't care if a player makes a double vault with a twist when it is his turn to play before he makes his stroke as long as it happens within those 40 seconds.

Posted:
  • Bushwood Country ClubBushwood Country Club Bushwood Country Club Members  910WRX Points: 119Handicap: 8.8Posts: 910 Golden Tee
    Posted:
    • Ping G410 LST, Tensei Orange  
    • Ping G410 3 wood, Ping Alta Shaft
    • Ping G410 3 hybrid, Evenflow Black
    • Ping G410 4 hybrid, Evenflow Black
    • Mizuno JPX 919 Forged  5-9, Nippon Modus 105
    • Callaway Jaws MD5 46,50,54,58/
    • Scotty Cameron Newport 3

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.