Womens swing different than a mans?

This may sound like a stupid question, but my wife is taking up golf this year, and me being an over zealus single digit handicapper I am planning on helping her out as we go. I was wondering if there is anything specific that is different about a ladies swing due to certain female body parts getting in the way? She is in good hape an well endowed so to speak. I am wondering if they will cause and oddities in her ability to swing?

Anyway If any ladies can offer any insight it would be appreciated.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This might sound really bad, and I dont mean it that way at all. But in the late 1980's, my wife wanted to play golf or try. So I paid for her a series of 3 lessons. I would stand and watch and keep my mouth shut.

My wife was rather well endowed. The pro told her, you have to swing under or over. That is as clean as I can get it. Ben Wright got fired for saying something along those lines a number of years ago from CBS.

Good luck attempting to teach her yourself. In my experience, being somewhat endowed, the most import adjustment for a woman is in the address position. You know the drill -- athletic posture, bend from the hips, back straight, hold head up (proud chin), allow arms to hang comfortably from the shoulders... Woman also have a somewhat lower center of gravity; like in our hips vs. lower torso. As in any sport, women with less interference up top will also have less to compensate for in their swing path. The biggest challenge that you will have is to remain patient and to be as positive during the learning process as possible. Unless she is built somewhat like Michelle Wie, her swing will not and cannot look like yours.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I am just learning and I thought this would be an issue for me BUT the key is to swing correctly. What I mean is if she is moving her shoulders she should not have an issue. I also don't recommend a husband to instruct a beginner golfer. I am taking lessons and it is the best thing to do even if it is pricey, it is worth it in the long run. Good Luck!

• 4 weeks later...

My wife is also familiar with this problem. It certainly is an issue, but it can be overcome. She goes with the sports bra strap down method combined with a more body rotational swing.

Actually it has helped, since she was so flexible, she use to really overswing her arms..now she kind of locks her arms to the side of the ladies and then turns her body through the ball, focusing on keeping her hands more in front of her chest, actually a very sound move for better players who tend to get stuck (which was her main fault before,,would hit monster pushes).

I have learned a lot about my marriage by teaching my wife to golf. If you are going to do it yourself, as I have been, this is my recommendation. "LISTEN TO HER".... If you are compatible in this way it is actually extremely rewarding, learning to communicate on the course helps us communicate better at home and in other areas of life.

I ask her to tell me when she wants my advice and when she doesn't, and no matter how bad I want to say something I shut the F up unless she asks me for my input. When she says "Gah Right again!" resist the urge to point out she was aiming there, or whatever else is about to come flying out of your mouth.

I give her a weekly lesson during which I am "Coach", I get to speak freely and she works on what I ask (She calls me Coach during this time, it is cute). Every other range trip/ round together I am just her husband/friend; I don't read putts, I don't offer swing advice, I don't tell her what to hit, etc. unless asked.

Good luck my man.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

Here's what I would do. Golf is the hardest game ever invented. Women do not possess the upper body strength, but mostly, arm and hand strength as men. Thus, just hitting the ball is the biggest obstacle. For a man, that's not the hard part. We can hit it from day one. But just making contact is difficult for a woman who is learning. Thus, there is no way I would teach my wife the basics. What I'd do is pay for a series of lessons so that she gets the basics. And if she still wants to play after she's done with that, I'd be glad to take over from there. But not before.

[quote name='songwriter']Here's what I would do. Golf is the hardest game ever invented. Women
do not possess the upper body strength, but mostly, arm and hand
strength as men. Thus, just hitting the ball is the biggest obstacle.[/quote]

Huh? Since when does it require upper-body strength to hit the ball? Women may have some physical issues ( noted above ) with swinging a club, but strength isn't one. My wife and I played with a gentleman in his eighties last weekend, and I guarantee you she'd win any strength contest between the two... but his ballstriking was so far superior as to be basically a different game. You don't have to hit the ball hard.

I've been teaching my wife to play this summer, and it has worked 'okay'. I get a little frustrated by her inconsistency because I just cannot figure what she's doing sometimes. She'll have a great range session one day, and the next, awful. The problem isn't physical, it's mental, and I don't know what to do about that ;) She has the coordination ( from martial arts and boxing ) to swing properly once shown how, but that does matter when after one bad shot she's convinced she can't play. Practice your responses to this kind of illogic before hitting the course, and save yourself the time. She's going to see a pro (also a woman) for the first time soon, and we'll see what happens.

Observation: all LPGA golfers swing "over."

Fact: a low handicap does not a good teacher make.

On the thought that your wife may be intimidated by a male pro, find a female pro that knows exactly what she is going through. Just because you are a low handicapper and great golfer, doesn't mean you have any skills in conveying that information to a student (unless there's something you're not telling us).

Just my $.02. I'll shut up now.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='justaman5' post='1582745' date='Mar 26 2009, 06:36 PM']This might sound really bad, and I dont mean it that way at all. But in the late 1980's, my wife wanted to play golf or try. So I paid for her a series of 3 lessons. I would stand and watch and keep my mouth shut.
My wife was rather well endowed. The pro told her, you have to swing under or over. That is as clean as I can get it. Ben Wright got fired for saying something along those lines a number of years ago from CBS.[/quote]

I don't see how a bra size could effect this ladies swing at all; surely one [b][i][u]turns the shoulders[/u][/i][/b] to make a swing with the arms being a more passive element operating as levers...dog wagging the tail etc??
Women in golf is a strange element at times due to the sexual angle and as most golfers and hence teachers are men this can lead to misunderstandings.
This being said my pro is a lady and [i][b][u]she's excellent :clapping: [/u][/b][/i]

[quote name='jedimater' post='1582388' date='Mar 26 2009, 09:48 PM']This may sound like a stupid question, but my wife is taking up golf this year, and me being an over zealus single digit handicapper I am planning on helping her out as we go. I was wondering if there is anything specific that is different about a ladies swing due to certain female body parts getting in the way? She is in good hape an well endowed so to speak. I am wondering if they will cause and oddities in her ability to swing?
Anyway If any ladies can offer any insight it would be appreciated.[/quote]I have a girl coach and we get on great and I have progressed more with her than I ever did with a male coach. My dad is a single figure golfer and all he ever comments on is my set up and ball position he never ever interfeers with my swing even when I get mad and ask him what I am doing wrong he always says he hasn't been trained to teach.

[quote name='golfgirl94' post='2009556' date='Oct 16 2009, 08:17 AM'][quote name='jedimater' post='1582388' date='Mar 26 2009, 09:48 PM']This may sound like a stupid question, but my wife is taking up golf this year, and me being an over zealus single digit handicapper I am planning on helping her out as we go. I was wondering if there is anything specific that is different about a ladies swing due to certain female body parts getting in the way? She is in good hape an well endowed so to speak. I am wondering if they will cause and oddities in her ability to swing?
Anyway If any ladies can offer any insight it would be appreciated.[/quote]I have a girl coach and we get on great and I have progressed more with her than I ever did with a male coach. My dad is a single figure golfer and all he ever comments on is my set up and ball position he never ever interfeers with my swing even when I get mad and ask him what I am doing wrong he always says he hasn't been trained to teach.
[/quote]
Go Girl :clapping:

• 2 months later...

My wife and I have played golf for a long time together (18 years or so). As has been posted already I would find a good woman instructor and take her to see them. We drive over 2 hours for lessons and it is well worth the time and money. Also listen to the person that says they keep their mouth closed. When my wife asks me for a target or what club to hit I just tell her to hit what makes her comfortable. I am not saying it is easy to keep opinions to yourself but it is the best course of action :D

Enjoy you time together. It won't always be smooth sailing but in the end it is worth it.

[quote]The problem isn't physical, it's mental, and I don't know what to do about that ;) She has the coordination ( from martial arts and boxing ) to swing properly once shown how, but that does matter when after one bad shot she's convinced she can't play.[/quote]

LOL....mine too. One bad shot and she is convinced she can't break 100 (she is a 9 hdcp). She played her first big am tourney this past summer. Goes through qualifying shooting her cap so she is happy. First match she wins by 4 holes and is feeling really good. Next morning we go to the range and she shanks every shot. I mean every shot! She is in full panic mode and I am trying to figure out what a caddy might say (so I am in panic mode too). I finally put all the clubs up and ask her when the last time she hit a shank on the course. She says years and we go to the putting green. I was extremely nervous on the first hole but not a single shank the entire round .... WHEW !!

hackin

Teach her the short game...

Be patient...

Don't talk down...

If she is game, have her watch some of the better women LPGA Tour players swing, allow her to analyze/observe their motion...

Have fun...

Is she competitive? This will change the dynamics a bit, but can be a helpful tool in her progress!

Start with a straight forward chip shot...Keeping the hands ahead, crisp chip shots! Don't move on until she can do this...

[quote name='mikpga' date='11 January 2010 - 09:50 PM' timestamp='1263268237' post='2176102']
Teach her the short game...

Be patient...

Don't talk down...

If she is game, have her watch some of the better women LPGA Tour players swing, allow her to analyze/observe their motion...

Have fun...

Is she competitive? This will change the dynamics a bit, but can be a helpful tool in her progress!

Start with a straight forward chip shot...Keeping the hands ahead, crisp chip shots! Don't move on until she can do this...
[/quote]

+1

i showed my wife the basics of the swing, grip, and setup. I then told her the most important thing was contact with the ball first, so she should only do half swings. I showed her what half swing was, helped her feel what it was, watched her hit 10 balls and answered any questions she had. then i just went on to my own bucket in front of her and listened to her swing for "contact". Once i could hear her making contact more often then not, we moved on to a full swing. She hits more greens than i do now...:russian_roulette:

But i think for the most part it helped her that i had my back to her while she learned. I only listened for good shots and gave words of encouragement when i heard them. we are still married, and although she doesnt play as often as i do, she can pick it up whenever she wants without worry that she will shank everything.

• 2 weeks later...

I also have been teaching my wife to play. Like the last two posters mentioned, we started with the short game. I got her to where she could make several five foot straight putts in a row and then we moved on to chipping. After getting to where she could chip a little bit, I had her practice chipping and then go and putt the ball out so she'd get used to scoring. Now, we have a lot of fun playing "couples" golf scrambles where there is no pressure on her "long game" but, she can still contirbute around and on the greens as she is a good chipper and putter. Simple pitches are next. We are going to slowly work our way all the back from the hole until we are hitting tee shots.

It works for us.

• 1 month later...

I am new to the sport (5 years ago) began playing this past summer. I take the position that women do not have upper body strength to heart. I was a gymnast for 18 years and there is no guy I know that can do the stuff I do with my upper body (plus upper body in golf really means nothing)! My husband is my coach, belives in everything I do, we fight about things just like normal and we go to bed like husband and wife! Its not always easy, but I trust his knowledge being in the profession. He does talk down to me and we do argue about that. I am also very (chestly) gifted, in the beginning it drove me crazy. Now given the speed of my swing at the upmost 80mph....its no longer an issue! The biggest thing is HE sees the talent, I am not just another women looking to be a weekend player, I am in this to win, I am in this to win BIG and I do not have the patience to suck at this sport! The attitude is everything.................

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, after reading all these, I'd say a proper clubfitting is in order. Generally the 'over' method is effective, but if you give her a club that is too short it would be a disaster. Depending on how tall or, shall we say, stout, she may be, longer clubs might help. 'In good shape' is rather ambiguous, but getting a good clubfitter involved and changing specs will definitely help.

Many women stand taller than men with similar height, often due to strength or flexibility differences. Forcing players into 'model' positions doesn't always work because of this. Fit her best swing with proper clubs and she'll do great.

• 3 weeks later...

I will turn 70 in one month and I am hitting the longest ball of my entire life.
That proves strength or swing speed is not the issue. My strength has certainly diminished since my 30's. I just have a better tempo now. It is true the equipment is better today but not that much better. I was much stronger and athletic in my 30's with all that down hill skiing.

As a life long practicing mechanical engineer, take it from me the critical thing is not swing speed. Instead it is acceleration during ball strike. Without boring you with lot of equations, an accelerating body striking a stationary body will impart greater velocity to the stationary body than striking it at same velocity but with zero acceleration.

So that is why the "tempo" thing is the most important thing in golf swing. In a good tempo swing, you do not try to generate club speed from the beginning of swing. If you do that, by the time the club reaches the ball,
your acceleration is down to nothing. So all you got is club speed but no acceleration. That reduces the time ball spends in contact with the club face. On the other hand if you start smooth and snap it through the ball,
then you got a bit less club speed but much more acceleration. That increases the time the ball remains in contact with the club, which results in higher ball speed. You are after ball speed not club speed.

A good analogy is is the long barrel of a rifle. If you sawed off the barrel, and fired the identical ammo, it will go nowhere. Why? Because the barrel forces the bullet to experience pressure for a longer time span. The time span is very important in generating higher exit velocity of the bullet.

So for all you women and for that matter all golfers, think to generate club speed AFTER the ball is struck. That thought will enable you to develop a better tempo with a smooth & slower start of swing and a full follow through.

Big boobs, small boobs, under or lower, is not nearly as important as tempo.
Another benefit of a good tempo is since you are starting your downswing at
a slower speed, you have better control over the club and better chance of hitting the ball on the sweet spot and square to the target.

Observe the swings of Paula creamer and Lorena Ochoa. Lorena hits it longer because she accelerates at the ball. Paula starts her downswing too hard right from the beginning. And Paula is taller and stronger than Lorena!

• 1 month later...

came across this post a year later, hopefully you are on the rigth track in teaching your wife!

I was taught by my husband, back then he was about a 12hcp and I listened to him, I let him teach me all the fundamental such as ball position, swing sequence, follow through, aim line, finding my tempo......etc.

6 years later, I am now a 7hcp playing from the men's tee, I give 5 shots to him when we play match-play. I play one tee ahead of him which is about 300 yards less and now he is screaming that I should play at the same tee with him. ^_^ We play every weekend together. I now play better, more ladies/guys would like to play with me in the club but I never want anyone to take over the schedule I have for my husband. Because backthen when I was hitting ground ball all day long, he was the one to sit it through and suck it up!

yes I was gifted with something larger than normal, I am not fat or heavy just carry some extra weight. To tell you the truth that was the main reason why women slice the ball to start with, also my weakness when I first learnt how to play. If I do not turn through my body quick enough to let my shoulders drop down to the proper slot, I hit it to the right for sure --- over the top --- because I let the "obstacle" stay in the pathway and swing my arms around.

I have to intentionally keep my arm close to my body, make sure my right elbow is down and under while moving through the ball, clearing the pathway to release through the ball, that is the time I hit it straight and pure.

It's a good thing to do, about teaching your wife how to play. I am sure you would gain a lifelong companion on the golf course, or make golf trip together traveling overseas. But be sure to give her space to learn, to digest all the new information, let her try in error because you are familiar with a golf swing, not your wife. She has to accept a new knowledge that did not exsist in her mind before. Buying her lesson package is good too if she likes it. My huband had the club pro gave me 2 hours lesson to start with, I did not like it, then he was the sole teacher I listened to because he knows me, he was there with me, he understands what I have to do to overcome technical issue and mental fear at the beginning.

Nowadays, he doesn't give me lesson anymore. We just enjoy each other's company, or I enjoy taking a few bucks extra on the golf course from him. ^_^

j

• 2 years later...

[color=#800080]I think if a female is athletic, mimic the men's swings. Quite few *power moves* that require some wierd timing that females do. I had soccer coach tell me when little that play and watch with the guys, it is only way you get better. Personally he was right for me. It made me go harder and I find men are very *efficient* with bodies. I have smaller boobs, so they are not so much issue. I am not super strong, but manage to hit long drives and irons being more *aggressive* and *efficient* moving self really at the right times.[/color]

[color=#800080]I see women teachers and cringe hearing their lessons. Not just boring, but not enough *aggression* through the ball. It is all about moving such a way with body, not always strength. My coach wants me to hit *home runs* but at right spots. So, i am in the men's court of swinging. My handicap has gotten to +1.6 altering approach this year and better positions. He teaches me as would a guy and we never talk LPGA stuff. Old coach wanted smoother swings and clubbing up a bit.[/color]

• 8 months later...

If you are going to teach her, use the YouTube videos. A lot of great videos of Na-Yeon Choi. Have her watch and comment on what she sees. This will give you a sense of if she understands what you are trying to teach her. I would suggest starting at the green, and work back to the tee. This is the opposite of what the "men" would usually do, but you will find that at the end of the day it is the most effective. Putting, and wedge / approach shots are 80% of the game. Don't forget to encourage her, BE PATIENT ! Good luck ! :)