2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Callaway I-MIX - FT-IQ Vs FT-I LCG

lgriffiths1981

with same i-mix shaft
Apologies in advance guys, there's probably a thread on this but I can't find one. I'm currently gaming an FT-I LCG 9.5 with an Aldila DVS 80-X shaft. The performance is very impressive to say the least - long, straight drives most of the time. However I just can't get used to the sound and i understand the FT-IQ is much better in that department.

Has anyone tested the two clubheads with the same shaft, if so how do they compare on ballflight, distance, accuracy etc??

I have the chance to get an FT-IQ clubhead at a reasonable price, is it worth uprgrading?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The LCG will launch lower and spin less than the IQ. Sorry I cannot put numbers to it but it is quite noticable.

I thought someone might say that.

I hit the 8.5* FT-i Tour LCG w/ XCon 6 on a tight rope! Man, it is such a money club.

I've only hit the iQ Tour is a simulator, but the results were less than stellar.

Hum...

I had the FT-I LCG last year, and have spent 2 rounds with the FT-IQ Tour . . . the IQ launch seems flatter with less spin - feel and sound are much better as well. It could all be the shaft however, as the Fubuki seems a lot more stable and less spinny than the x-con. Your results may vary.

btw - the straighest driver I have ever hit was the original FT-I Tour with Speeder 686 (probably because it spun like a top).

Thanks for the impute. I recently picked up a 9.5 LCG I-mix with a fubuki 63s and I'm really liking it, have only played one round with it. I haven't got it on the launch monitor yet but I really like the flight. With my old driver I battled a hook but with this bad boy I'm either hitting it dead straight or with a little fade. After hooking it for so long it is amazing to finally start finding the right side of the fairway!!! I would like to try the IQ but am content now

I changed from my FT-5 9.5 to the FTi-lcg 8.5 w/ WB and am having too much fun off the tee :tongue: . Spin is much lower and the ball just wants to go and go :)

Can't see this combo leaving the bag anytime soon even if it is old technology.

BB DBD 9 Rogue

BBA 16 Rogue

XHP 18* Fubuki 415

MP-64/MP-4 4-PW Px 5.5

Bettinardi SS DASS 8

SM5 50, 54, 58 Px 5.5
B330S GHIN 6.0

The ft-iq launches lower, spins less and has a hotter face, peroid. Call callaway and ask them. The ft-iq is the lowest spinning driver they ever produced. That includes the ft-9 also.

what do you think callaway would tell you if you asked them?

yeah, the ftiq is ok, but the stuff we used to make was way better... we're just putting out new stuff to make money while not really improving the product

not that I doubt the IQ is better, but asking callaway if it's better is like asking a parent if they think their child is cute

The ft-iq launches lower, spins less and has a hotter face, peroid. Call callaway and ask them. The ft-iq is the lowest spinning driver they ever produced. That includes the ft-9 also.

LMAO Funniest post I've read in a while. The Fti LCG (retail) spins less than the FT-iq tested with the same shafts via i-mix period. The problem with the Fti LCG with xcon was that it didn't spin enough for guys use to the FT5 or FTi with Fuji shafts. I'm waiting to see when Cally comes out with a FT-iQ LCG that should be fun.

I'd be very surprised the the FT-IQ (bearing in mind that the 9.5 would be the tour version) spun more than the FT-I LCG. The LCG isn't a particularly low spin driver, just lower spinning than the original FT-I.

The FT-i LCG (retail) is actually a SUPER low spin driver. Much lower spin than the IQ Tour.

Yes and without the hook face of the FT-iq .

I'd be very surprised the the FT-IQ (bearing in mind that the 9.5 would be the tour version) spun more than the FT-I LCG. The LCG isn't a particularly low spin driver, just lower spinning than the original FT-I.

The FT-i LCG (retail) is actually a SUPER low spin driver. Much lower spin than the IQ Tour.

Excellent point, I forgot how scary it was hitting that what appeared to be closed face driver.

I have a good friend who works for Callaway. I got to test everything on a launch monitor. The ft-iq was definitely the lowest launching by about 2 degrees and spun the least by a small margin. This is not my opinion, its a fact. The ft-i was a very high spin driver. The lcg could only lower the spin so much. While the ft-iq appears to be closed, it measures .5 open. The reason is if you set the diver head level you'll see it. The problem is unless your 6'5" you won't set it up at that level. I'm 5'6" and when I set it down, it sits closed. Which I do find annoying. I would like to get my hands on a tour clock ferrule and see if that would help.

I'm sure it has a lot to do with shaft type tho..

I had a plain ol' FT-i with stock speeder and that thing flew long and rolled.

I have an FT-iq and with the stock fubi 60R, it is a SPIN MACHINE. We're talking about coming down vertically and leaving ballmarks in the fairway, finding the ball 18" away. With a new shaft the iq is getting getting great ball flight and roll. The new shaft changed the club dramatically.

That said, I'm a Ho, so I just ordered the I-MIX FT-i Tour LCG and Fubi 63R so we'll see how it goes this weekend. :-)

The LCG will launch lower and spin less than the IQ. Sorry I cannot put numbers to it but it is quite noticable.

+1

Excellent point, I forgot how scary it was hitting that what appeared to be closed face driver.

FTI LCG = lowest spin of the FTi

FTi = high spin closed face

Fti Tour = high spin open face

Ft IQ = medium-low spin, closed face, Fubuki made for Callaway (per their customer service dept.)

Ft IQ Tour = medium-low spin, open face, real Fubuki (per their customer service dept.)

• 3 weeks later...

I've hit both the FTiQ Tour with Fubuki and FTi LCG. for me the LCG has a WOW factor which the Q lacks. I find the FTi LCG flies higher but lands with more roll and is also better into the wind, Go Figure? I sold the FTi Q head within a week as I just didn't like the look at address or the feel, it felt dead compared to the LCG.... I have ordered a FT9 Tour head in 8.5 which should be here this week so I will compare that against the LCG as well.

I have an FT-iq and with the stock fubi 60R, it is a SPIN MACHINE. We're talking about coming down vertically and leaving ballmarks in the fairway, finding the ball 18" away. With a new shaft the iq is getting getting great ball flight and roll. The new shaft changed the club dramatically.

That said, I'm a Ho, so I just ordered the I-MIX FT-i Tour LCG and Fubi 63R so we'll see how it goes this weekend. :-)

Dude - How did that i-mix FT-i go for you?

Nike VRS Covert 2.0 Comp KK 60 g Stiff
Callaway Razr Fit 15* TourSPX vts silver
Mizuno MP hybrid 23* Fubuki S
Miura PP9003sn 5i - PW Aerotech SF80
Mizuno JPX 50* TP4 55* TP4 60*
Scotty Cameron Newport2

I really like the ball flight and roll out I'm getting with my I-mix FT-I LCG 9.5 (DRAW) driver. I am curious, however, to find out if I'd like the I-mix FT-IQ even better. So, time to demo. I swing in the upper 90's and have both Fubuki 63 and Zcom 60 shafts - for what it's worth.

Here's my question. As a starting point, which FT-IQ head would be closed to my LCG DRAW model?? I assume the IQ Tour is neutral weighted?? In speaking with Callaway, their rep. suggested the Tour IQ would be closed to the LCG Draw head. For those that have hit both, has that been your experience?

Many thanks.

My experience exactly with the Callaway Fubuki 60R and a draw head; a little less with the neutral head. I'm now trying to decide on the Fubuki 63R and would really like to know your experience with it.

• 4 weeks later...

FT-IQ 8.5* Tour Face is .5* OPEN, Not sure where all this "Hook Face" is coming from. Also you can buy A Clock Ferrule from billybobgolf.com and clock it open even further. Remember 1* closed is 1* weaker in loft and 1* open is 1* Stronger in loft. So buy a 9.5 and clock it 1 * open which will give you 1.5* open at address, and a 8.5* loft. I did this with a Mitsu Javelin FX V and absolutely kill it. I am at 12.2* launch and 2430 RPM at 108 MPH swing and carrying it 286 av. I work in a shop with a fit cart, and the FT-9 8.5* Tour with the same I-Mix shaft is at least 5-7 yards shorter on average.

• 4 weeks later...

I have both the FT-IQ and FT-I LCG 8.5 Degree tour drivers. I have been trying to figure out which is better for the longest time. The last month I have gone out in the afternoons and played 9 with 2 balls (same ball pro-vx), IQ vs. LCG. This is what I found...when I hit the LCG straight it went maybe 10-15 yards further than the IQ, HOWEVER thats when I hit it straight. miss-hits with the IQ were straighter and longer than miss-hits with the LCG. I like the sound of the LCG better than the muted sound of the IQ. My conclusion was straighter is better (obviously) than getting 10-15 more yards. Hope that helps.