2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2009 Taylormade Tour Preferred Irons

bgentc4

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a set of these w/ project x 6.5 shafts and I am very impressed with them so far. I have not played a cast club for 19 years now, but with 2 kids, and one being a newborn, I switched to get something a little more forgiving, but still workable. This is also the first club I have played in 19 years without Dynamic Gold x100 shafts, but that's not what you're curious about. Firstly, forgiveness with these is very good considering the caliber of player they're aimed at. Mishits are noticeable, with very little distance loss. You can feel your mishits, but you aren't punished that badly for them. Secondly, with regard to feel, they're not forged, which is something I'll just have to get used to, but for a cast club, and when compared with everything else I tried (X22 tours, I10's, CG7 Tours) they are very soft for a cast clubhead, notably softer than the ones I mentioned before. The sole design is what really sold me on these. They move through the turf really well, with no digging whatsoever, but not so much bounce that divots are impossible either. Also, for a cast cavity, they are extremely workable, which was another huge selling point. I can work it high, low, left, and right when I need to, and can work it just as easily as my old Mizunos that I got rid of. Normal swings produce a high ball flight, which I like, personally, but trajectory control is very easy with these. They aren't any longer than my Mizzy's, so I haven't had to adjust my club selection any at all. Overall, for a cast cavity designed for the lower handicap player, I feel like these irons do exactly what they are supposed to, which is, they do exactly what you tell them to do. I would highly suggest giving these a look if you are looking for a players club with a great combination of workability, feedback, and forgiveness.

PING G430 LST 9*, Ventus Black TR 7X
PING G425 14.5*, Ventus Blue 8X
PING iCrossover 18*, Ping Tour 85X
PING i230 4-PW, Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X7
Ping Glide 2.0 50, 54, 60
Ping PLD

I play them w/ px5.5's, trajectory is a tad higher but I like that as well. They are a real forgiving club, w/out a loss of workability and like the above post... the sole grind is perfect IMO not to much digging (glides through the turf) I would recommend these irons to anybody, you owe it to yourself to demo these sticks

I have a set of these w/ project x 6.5 shafts and I am very impressed with them so far. I have not played a cast club for 19 years now, but with 2 kids, and one being a newborn, I switched to get something a little more forgiving, but still workable. This is also the first club I have played in 19 years without Dynamic Gold x100 shafts, but that's not what you're curious about. Firstly, forgiveness with these is very good considering the caliber of player they're aimed at. Mishits are noticeable, with very little distance loss. You can feel your mishits, but you aren't punished that badly for them. Secondly, with regard to feel, they're not forged, which is something I'll just have to get used to, but for a cast club, and when compared with everything else I tried (X22 tours, I10's, CG7 Tours) they are very soft for a cast clubhead, notably softer than the ones I mentioned before. The sole design is what really sold me on these. They move through the turf really well, with no digging whatsoever, but not so much bounce that divots are impossible either. Also, for a cast cavity, they are extremely workable, which was another huge selling point. I can work it high, low, left, and right when I need to, and can work it just as easily as my old Mizunos that I got rid of. Normal swings produce a high ball flight, which I like, personally, but trajectory control is very easy with these. They aren't any longer than my Mizzy's, so I haven't had to adjust my club selection any at all. Overall, for a cast cavity designed for the lower handicap player, I feel like these irons do exactly what they are supposed to, which is, they do exactly what you tell them to do. I would highly suggest giving these a look if you are looking for a players club with a great combination of workability, feedback, and forgiveness.

I play them w/ px5.5's, trajectory is a tad higher but I like that as well. They are a real forgiving club, w/out a loss of workability and like the above post... the sole grind is perfect IMO not to much digging (glides through the turf) I would recommend these irons to anybody, you owe it to yourself to demo these sticks

HOw much is the trajectory. I have narrowed it down to these and the Callaway X-Forged, can either of you help

bradkv you nailed it with your review. 110% agree with everything except shaft choice.

HOw much is the trajectory. I have narrowed it down to these and the Callaway X-Forged, can either of you help

I would say if you make center contact every time X-Forged. A little off center from time to time you will be much happier with the TP's.

PXG 0811X+ proto 10.5 Aldila NV blue
Cobra F9 3 wood
PING G410 3 hybrid Tensei blue 
Srixon Z585 4-pw Modus 105
PING Glide 2.0 50* KBS Tour
PING Glide 2.0 56* KBS Tour
TM high toe big foot 60*
Scotty Phantom X 5.5
Srixon Zstar

Completely agree with jwo. I had a set of the TPs, but play the 09 Xforged now and there is a difference, but I tend to think these two sets are marketed to a slightly different group. I think a higher handi can more easily play the TPs than the Xforged. The TPs were definitely more forgiving and the trajectory was higher (I think due to the undercut cavity and a lot of the weight being low on the face). In contrast, the Xforged seem to fly slightly lower (due to a slightly more balanced weigh top to bottom on the heads). Its hard to say exactly how much higher the TPs fly, but I hit the ball high as it is and put a lot of spin on the ball so the lower flight of the Xforged worked better for me. To give you some idea, my 3 iron shots tend to fly higher than the avg 6 iron shots of many golfers and with the 09 xforged, my 3 iron flys a more like a 2 iron would for me while with the TPs, I get my typical high flight. I'd say the TPs were the highest, then the 07 Xforged, then the 09 Xforged.

Both are very good sets, but the Xforged are softer and I like the smaller head size. But there are days when I wouldn't have minded the extra forgiveness from the TPs :)...

Like jwo said, if you hit center more times than not, you might like the extra workability and softness of the Xforged, but if you still have the slightly off-center shots, then the TPs might keep you happier.

Good luck.

• 2 months later...

anybody have any input on the tp's vs mizuno mp 52's in reference to forgiveness, playability etc.

Driver: 9* Callaway Rogue sub zero w/ hzrdus yellow 6.5
3w: 15* Callaway epic w/ aldila rogue 110 s flex
Hybrid: 19* Mizuno Jpx 900 w/ fujikura s flex
DI:  Adams dhy 21* w/ aldilla green S flex
Irons: Mizuno mp 18 sc 5-pw w/ Nippon modus 3 120x
Wedges: Vokey sm7 raw 50 F, 55 S, 60 M w/ dynamic gold black s400
Putter: Scotty Cameron newport 3 w/ super stroke