2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Players irons - are t100 really THAT good?

JLP_GOLF

Currently in p7mc and it is almost the perfect iron i would design (perhaps a hair too round).  soles are great, topline thin, and beautiful all around.  center strikes feel amazing but off days have me looking for something that has more playable misses.  I am between Cobra CB and T100 for my next and hit them both in store recently.  T100 was stupid long.  7 iron ball speed was hitting 135 and about a club longer than anything else.  In fact it was about a club longer than my old cobra king tours (2 degrees) stronger.  The Cobra CBs def feel better but i dont hit them as far and especially retain ballspeed on mishits 

From other reviews of player irons being testing against each other, it doesn't suggest that t100 should be that far ahead.  Struggling what to make of this?  Are they just that good?  Don't hear that much about them

TM Stealth 9 degrees, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Stealth plus 3 wood 15 degrees, Ventus Blue TR 6x

TM Sim2 TI 5 wood, 18 degrees 

Callaway UW '21, 21 degrees

TM P7MC 2023, 4-pw, fujikura axiom 125x

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

Odyssey White Hot OG 1 Wide, KBS graphite putter shaft

1 minute ago, JLP_GOLF said:

Currently in p7mc and it is almost the perfect iron i would design (perhaps a hair too round).  soles are great, topline thin, and beautiful all around.  center strikes feel amazing but off days have me looking for something that has more playable misses.  I am between Cobra CB and T100 for my next and hit them both in store recently.  T100 was stupid long.  7 iron ball speed was hitting 135 and about a club longer than anything else.  In fact it was about a club longer than my old cobra king tours (2 degrees) stronger.  The Cobra CBs def feel better but i dont hit them as far and especially retain ballspeed on mishits 

From other reviews of player irons being testing against each other, it doesn't suggest that t100 should be that far ahead.  Struggling what to make of this?  Are they just that good?  Don't hear that much about them

I’d want to make sure the loft on the fitting club hadn’t been adjusted strong.

135 ball speed with a traditionally lofted 7 iron means your swinging the 7 iron 100+ mph and delofting it about 30% at impact.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

I’d want to make sure the loft on the fitting club hadn’t been adjusted strong.

135 ball speed with a traditionally lofted 7 iron means your swinging the 7 iron 100+ mph and delofting it about 30% at impact.

so it wasn't a fitting club ... it was an off the rack set and the 7 iron had been unwrapped so i picked it up and took back to the trackman bay with me.  did the same with the cobra CB i hit against it.  i guess anything is possible but would think both off the rack sets were standard manufacturers loft.  100 mph 7 iron is about what it usually is.  The cobra CB was a 6 iron though and still wasn't going as far as the t100 7 iron.  

Edited by JLP_GOLF

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

2 minutes ago, JLP_GOLF said:

so it wasn't a fitting club ... it was an off the rack set and the 7 iron had been unwrapped so i picked it up and took back to the trackman bay with me.  did the same with the cobra CB i hit against it.  i guess anything is possible but would think both off the rack sets were standard manufacturers loft.  100 mph 7 iron is about what it usually is.  The cobra CB was a 6 iron though and still wasn't going as far as the t100 7 iron.  

Sounds like the profile works for you!  I found the opposite.  The t100 was significantly shorter (175-178 carry) vs the cobra cb (185 carry). Ball speeds were similar but the t100 spun much more.

T100’s are a really solid iron. I went into GG last weekend and hit them just see how they felt. Ordered a set 6-pw with the T150 in 4-5 iron that afternoon from DDs. Time will tell but I say initially, yes they are that good 🤣

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

1 minute ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

Sounds like the profile works for you!  I found the opposite.  The t100 was significantly shorter (175-178 carry) vs the cobra cb (185 carry). Ball speeds were similar but the t100 spun much more.

super interesting... wonder what about the profile it would be?  i was hitting draws with the t100 and the cb was slightly fadey but that wouldn't make more than a 5 yd difference really.  I wanted to pick the cobra because its just stunning.... i think i need another day of testing.  these are most likely s300 shafts too which is not traditionally a shaft i've ever played.  Used to be x100, now axiom 125x

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

Just now, jetmech879 said:

T100’s are a really solid iron. I went into GG last weekend and hit them just see how they felt. Ordered a set 6-pw with the T150 in 4-5 iron that afternoon from DDs. Time will tell but I say initially, yes they are that good 🤣

If i get similar results today, i have to order these ..... mishits were still going almost as far as middled

• Like 1

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

2 minutes ago, JLP_GOLF said:

super interesting... wonder what about the profile it would be?  i was hitting draws with the t100 and the cb was slightly fadey but that wouldn't make more than a 5 yd difference really.  I wanted to pick the cobra because its just stunning.... i think i need another day of testing.  these are most likely s300 shafts too which is not traditionally a shaft i've ever played.  Used to be x100, now axiom 125x

At your speed your likely getting 10 yards carry difference between a draw and a fade with 7 iron.  

Im a little slower than you and play a pretty neutral stock shot.  I get 5 yards more for a draw, 5 yards less for a fade.  190 draw, 185 stock, 180 fade.  Those number get exaggerated with a headwind.

• Like 1

Lofts get thrown off quite easily so that could be a factor as mentioned. Also hard to compare fairly unless the same shaft were used in both irons. But the T100’s are very solid, probably not enough tech to justify the drastic difference in distances here but it could just be the shaft, and the club suiting your swing and eye perfectly..and turf interaction, since it seems that it wasn’t purely distance but also dispersion in your case

• Like 1

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

going back tonight to get more info on shafts and see if similar experience

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

I'm probably in the minority, but I struggle to find the sweet spot on the T100's. Played them for a year and while I played some of the best golf of my life, I felt like I wasn't striking the ball how I would like. Swapped to some 620MB's and combo'd them with my previous set of 620CB's and have been hitting the ball lights out. I definitely prefer the leading edge relief the 620 series offers, but to each their own.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 11° - Tour AD UB 7x

Titleist TSR2 16.5° - Tour AD UB 8x

Titleist TSR2 21° - Tour AD UB 8x

Titleist T200 4 iron - Tour AD DI 105x

Titleist T150 5 iron - Modus 130x

Titleist 620 CB 6 iron - Modus 130x

Titleist 620 MB 7 - P - Modus 130x

Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 58LBK - Modus 125x

Ping PLD Custom Anser 30

27 minutes ago, millerj said:

I'm probably in the minority, but I struggle to find the sweet spot on the T100's. Played them for a year and while I played some of the best golf of my life, I felt like I wasn't striking the ball how I would like. Swapped to some 620MB's and combo'd them with my previous set of 620CB's and have been hitting the ball lights out. I definitely prefer the leading edge relief the 620 series offers, but to each their own.

I still think the cb’s are the best iron in them lineup.  The t100 are great, no doubt, but the feel through the turf is outstanding in the cb. 

• Like 2

Driver Searching…

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

1 minute ago, wam78 said:

I still think the cb’s are the best iron in them lineup.  The t100 are great, no doubt, but the feel through the turf is outstanding in the cb. 

Had the CBs for a few months.  Great looking club and feel but launch monitor numbers were not strong.  Could easily play them tho 

• Like 1

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

23 minutes ago, Nickb333 said:

I hit a t100 and my pmc 7i side by side.  I found distance the same. The t100 had a very light Amt red shaft though. It seemed very easy to swing. My pmc have kbs tour shafts. 

i'd say middled shots were less noticeable, though i didn't hit side by side and am comparing t100 on trackman to my p7mc on my quad.  i think mishits were substantially better off though

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60 

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JLP_GOLF said:

That's interesting.  I played 620 MB 3-PW from 2019-2023, before switching to the new T100 3-PW.  The T100 irons are fantastic, feel great too; I have MMT 105S in them.  However, they are only a degree stronger than my more traditional spec 620 MB and 620 CB sets.  IMO, they are similar to 620 CB irons, forgiveness is similar.  I hit T100 irons as far as stronger lofted original T100S irons in storage.

I just took a look at Cobra's latest King CB lofts, they are the same as T100.  To address your question, yes, they are great clubs.  I really like the long irons.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

2 hours ago, wam78 said:

Totally agree, my original Titleist fitting back in 2020 resulted in 620 CB's, but after a couple years I decided to order some T100's on a whim in case I was missing anything in terms of forgiveness. While the off center hits were definitely less harsh feeling, I wouldn't say the distance drop off was that much different. Ordered my 620 MB's for the hell of it end of last season because I didn't like the shape of the 8-P in the CB's and was wanting to go back to something with better feel and experiment with blades (so far it's been a success, broke 70 for the first time in my life).

Had a fitting with Titleist last week because my 5-iron was launching too low and was put into a T150 5 iron bent 2 degrees weak. I just curiously asked the fitter if he were to fit me from scratch what he would put me in... and was fit into the 620CB again 4 years later lol. Still keeping the MB's because I like the feel/shape in the short irons and I don't see too much of a forgiveness difference, but Titleist really killed it with the 620 line.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 11° - Tour AD UB 7x

Titleist TSR2 16.5° - Tour AD UB 8x

Titleist TSR2 21° - Tour AD UB 8x

Titleist T200 4 iron - Tour AD DI 105x

Titleist T150 5 iron - Modus 130x

Titleist 620 CB 6 iron - Modus 130x

Titleist 620 MB 7 - P - Modus 130x

Vokey SM9 50F, 54D, 58LBK - Modus 125x

Ping PLD Custom Anser 30

I haven't personally played the T100 on course but a good friend of mine who is playing Senior tour in Europe right now had them last season found them to be (for him, a very good + index player) inconsistently long and somewhat unforgiving. He's in the 620CB now and absolutely loving them.

Guys (and gals) there’s not a super club that works for every person in every condition. 

This is called “Paralysis by Analysis “.   

Focus on your game and your needs. 

On a mat, in a bay, I can hit P7TW fine enough. 

Would I play them in a round that meant something?

Holy smokes no!

Asking for some other “opinions”is great, but I would recommend a Quick Look in the mirror and think about the most pressure packed moments in your round and the club YOU want/need to grab. 

Trust your feel. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

As @wam78said, there's truth to his statement about CBs.

I bought a set of 620 CB 3-PW when I bought 620 MB 3-PW set, back in 2019, and included them when blending the two.  IMO, CB irons are solid, superior irons, feel great through the turf, and easily workable like its big brother MB.  That shouldn't be a surprise, since 620 CB's were expressly designed to coexist with MBs.  Most of the CB specs are identical to MB.

Maybe the best all around CB made by Titleist until they came out with the "new" T100 irons, which are currently in my bag.  There is a difference, only as a feel player, I can't identify that difference.  Perhaps there's a tad more forgiveness in the T100 than CB.

Honestly, from CB to the new T100, Titleist has outdone themselves.  That said, with T100 being the most played on the tour's, CB are likely to be discontinued.  When, since there are some diehard users on tour, haven't a clue.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

1 minute ago, Pepperturbo said:

There's some truth to your statement.  

I bought a set of 620 CB 3-PW when I bought 620 MB 3-PW set, back in 2019, and included them when blending the two.  IMO, CB irons are solid, superior irons, feel great through the turf, and easily workable like its big brother MB.  That shouldn't be a surprise, since 620 CB's were expressly designed to coexist with MBs.  Most of the CB specs are identical to MB.

Maybe the best all around CB made by Titleist until they came out with the "new" T100 irons, which are currently in my bag.  There is a difference, only as a feel player, I can't identify that difference.  Perhaps there's a tad more forgiveness in the T100 than CB.

Honestly, from CB to the new T100, Titleist has outdone themselves.  That said, with T100 being the most played on the tour's, CB are likely to be discontinued.  When, since there are some diehard users on tour, haven't a clue.

T100s feel like clumsy tools compared to 620CBs. More practical maybe but noticeably less elegant. Loved the 620CBs and could not stand T100.

24 minutes ago, blades_are_life said:

T100s feel like clumsy tools compared to 620CBs. More practical maybe but noticeably less elegant. Loved the 620CBs and could not stand T100.

You didn't say you've actually played them for years??? 

I played CB & MB for years, also don't look for my tools to be elegant.  Neither do the vast majority of tour players who actually chose to use the new T100.  

• T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

8 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

You didn't say you've actually played them for years??? 

I played CB & MB for years, also don't look for my tools to be elegant.  Neither do the vast majority of tour players who actually chose to use the new T100.  

No these were impressions from extensive demoing one day. I know of course most tour players don't look for their tools to be elegant.

Don't underestimate the shafts that were in those irons.

Played t100 since they came out.  They are excellent for what they are.  They do NOTHING better than my 20 year old blades save for a toe hit, so if you expect them to play like muscles or CBs, then they will not.  They are very good for multi-material and composite clubs.  The t100 are much less harsh feeling on mishits, but I am nearly positive that they results are no different save for the toe strike.

The only thing that I don't care for with the t100 is the low hit - they fly and don't spin.  This is very likely unfair, but I can still get a LOT of spin on these with my blades and the ball will often stop past the hole, but still on the green.

I play a t100s 3 iron (which is really a 2 iron).  If I stop playing as much, I will play the t100 again and put the blades away.

58 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

As @wam78said, there's truth to his statement about CBs.

I really hope they keep the cb’s in the rotation.  Fewer and fewer of these types of irons are being produced now with ball speed being too much of a focus imho.

They still have room for classic cb’s in this game.  And I hope what I’m saying is not taking anything away from the t100.  Absolutely beautiful iron that gets a ton of play on tour.

Any way, sorry to hijack OP.

• Like 2

Driver Searching…

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

41 minutes ago, wam78 said:

I really hope they keep the cb’s in the rotation.  Fewer and fewer of these types of irons are being produced now with ball speed being too much of a focus imho.

They still have room for classic cb’s in this game.  And I hope what I’m saying is not taking anything away from the t100.  Absolutely beautiful iron that gets a ton of play on tour.

Any way, sorry to hijack OP.

They will keep the cb and mb in the rotation.

most of the titliest staffers that seem to be winning have cb or mb from pw- 6-5 iron.  You start to see the t100 as 4 and 5 iron replacements.  There is a reason they are playing those cb and MBs in the shorter and mid irons.

So went back and had a similar experience with t100.. the thing just performs even on decent strikes.  this time i did hit the p7mc next to it and while center strike ball speeds were similar (133/134), the ones were I could tell I didn't middle it went much further with t100.  Still wondering about that golf galaxy trackman tho hahaha.  those ball speeds are more like 6 iron flushers for me, not 7 iron.  oh well, decisions decisions i think t100 is in my future as p7mc is too punishing

Srixon RTX 6 - 52,56,60