The IN's and OUT's of COLLEGE GOLF

13»

Comments

• benkdbenkd Members Posts: 1
    I couldn't agree with you more on every point here. I put myself out there, probably sent over 200 emails to different coaches all across the country and just bided my time. I wasn't a top recruit, but I had solid scores in big tournaments, I had travelled around the east coast playing in tournaments, worked with an amazing coach, Joe Tesori, who was also a college coach and helped me along the process. I also have seen that academics mean a lot, as my coach refuses to take anyone who has below a 90 GPA. At the end of the day, I chose to play at the college I play at because I knew that I would have a great chance to start my first season (which I do), they have fantastic academics, great team chemistry, and ambition. I knew I was coming into a program that wasn't successful, and that motivated me, especially having friends on other teams in my conference. It was definitely tough, shooting 74 day 2 of my first tournament and finishing in last as a team, shooting 74, 73 at our conference championships and finishing in the bottom half of teams. The mental strength I gained in high school was so important for me, having the drive to not give up when you're 10 over par in the pouring rain in New Hampshire, and having the strength to pick yourself up and make some birdies. I think this post should be instrumental for college golfers to read, and I really wish I had read it when I was getting recruited.
    WITB
    TaylorMade M3 440 9* Atmos Red 6x
    TaylorMade M4 15* Atmos Red TS 7x
    TaylorMade P790 UDI 18* Atmos Blue 8x
    TaylorMade TP MB 2014 4-Pw Project X 6.5
    TaylorMade Milled Grind 52*, 56* DG S
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 60* DG S
    Scotty Cameron California Monterrey
    Titleist ProV1
  • joshrad_golfjoshrad_golf Members Posts: 15 ✭✭

For junior boys looking to play college golf, this is spot on. Having grown up competing in the DFW metroplex, I have a lot of experience with the competition. I was a solid player and was recruited to play Division 1 golf. There are so many things a junior needs to learn, and the biggest is humbling himself to be open to going wherever is best for his golf game rather than going to a school with the biggest, most recognizable name. There are plenty of great lower D1, D2, D3, or even NAIA schools that would be way better for someone to go to than a high end D1 program if he isn't going to get much playing time. In the end, you have to go somewhere you will play with teammates who will push you. Take a team in D2 that is winning over a low-ranked D1 team that doesn't have a great culture for excellence.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file