Aldila Trinity vs. Aldila RIP'D NV

How does the Aldila RIP'D NV 60 R-Flex shaft compare to the Aldila Trinity 65-R shaft? Are they similar? About the same? I have a uDesign Callaway Razr Fit Extreme that was supposed to come with the Aldila Trinity Black White shaft in regular flex. It came with the green and black standard Aldila Trinity shaft. So Callaway was supposed to send the correct shaft but instead sent the Aldila RIP'D NV shaft?

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reply Stuart. Let me give a little background on why I'm asking. I won one of the Callaway uDesign Razr Fit Extreme drivers in the giveaway here on GolfWRX. The driver I picked out was supposed to come with this shaft:

Aldila Trinity Black White regular flex shaft

shafts-aldila-trinity-udesign-driver_1_zpsd706ed8b.png

Instead it came with this shaft:

Aldila Trinity Black Green shaft regular flex

DSC03220_zps352cd944.jpg

It really looks odd with the red and black driver head and red and black grip, so I asked Callaway if I could get the shaft that I specified in my entry. I got a box with this shaft in it yesterday:

Aldila RIP'D NV 60 R-Flex shaft

DSC03219_zps5a9e2f9e.jpg

I'm just curious if the RIP'D NV will play about the same as the Trinity I was expecting.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag

Thanks for the clarification - so there are three shafts involved, not two (black trinity, green trinity, and black rip'd nv).

That fact that the Rip'd NV doesn't have the standard coloring will add to the confusion. Callaway used a 'made for' Rip'd nv in the razr fit line that was black w/ red accents and was extremely different from the normal Rip'd NV. The fact that the one you got has custom coloring (just black) means it could be either the 'made for' version or the real one. Might have to ask callaway CS to find out for sure.

Now to answer the question, the real Rip'd NV is a little more tip stiff and has a lower torque than the Trinity. Might launch a bit lower and feel a little more boardy. I think it is also a few grams heavier than the Trinity but that depends on the flex.

The 'made for' Rip'd NV was [u]very[/u] tip soft (whippy) and a much higher launching shaft. Very different from either the Trinity or the real rip'd nv. Probably softer in flex overall as well but it's hard to tell with the extremely soft tip section

For most people, a few swings on the range comparing the two should tell you if it's the real one or the made for rip'd nv.

You may have gotten the green trinity if Callaway was having stock/inventory issues with the black version (since it's made only for the callaway udesign clubs). They might have sent you the black rip'd nv because it was the only black shaft they had available to match your color request - but that's just a guess.

Thanks for the info guys. I assume you are right about them being out of the black white Trinity shaft. But it would be nice if that's the case for someone to just tell me that. Communication has been horrible so far with this thing. It does seem to me that the RIP'D shaft is a little more whippy than the Trinity. I may just take the driver to one of the golf stores and see if I can get fitted for the correct shaft for me.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag

Just use the Trinity because it'll likely be more true to flex, not that there's a standard. The shaft they sent you is the made-for from the Razr Fit and it is very soft to flex. But if you like how it feels, give it a shot, and maybe have someone tip trim it a little to tighten it up. The Trinity is actually a pretty nice shaft, IMO.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1368620422' post='7039092']
Just use the Trinity because it'll likely be more true to flex, not that there's a standard. The shaft they sent you is the made-for from the Razr Fit and it is very soft to flex. But if you like how it feels, give it a shot, and maybe have someone tip trim it a little to tighten it up. The Trinity is actually a pretty nice shaft, IMO.
[/quote]

I did play 18 yesterday. I used my old Big Bertha Diablo on the front and the Razr Fit on the back. I do like the Trinity shaft in it. It just looks odd. My buddy kept calling it the Christmas club. I guess I shouldn't care what it looks like as long as it hits good, but I won this thing in a contest where you were supposed to design a club like you want it to look (hence the uDesign name) and that's not what I got. Now if the shaft I picked is not available, why not tell me that in an email? Heck, why not reply to my emails in a resonable time frame? I don't know, I'm just disappointed in the whole handling of it all I guess.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag

[quote name='nuthin but a hacker' timestamp='1368623192' post='7039346']
[quote name='Puppetmaster' timestamp='1368620422' post='7039092']
[/quote]

I did play 18 yesterday. I used my old Big Bertha Diablo on the front and the Razr Fit on the back. I do like the Trinity shaft in it. It just looks odd. My buddy kept calling it the Christmas club. I guess I shouldn't care what it looks like as long as it hits good, but I won this thing in a contest where you were supposed to design a club like you want it to look (hence the uDesign name) and that's not what I got. Now if the shaft I picked is not available, why not tell me that in an email? Heck, why not reply to my emails in a resonable time frame? I don't know, I'm just disappointed in the whole handling of it all I guess.
[/quote]

You have a point. They usually have great customer service. I think you should still get what you were promised, whether you paid for it or not. See if you can get someone more senior on the phone to get you the black and white Trinity that you were supposed to get.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

[quote name='nuthin but a hacker' timestamp='1368579352' post='7036556']
How does the Aldila RIP'D NV 60 R-Flex shaft compare to the Aldila Trinity 65-R shaft? Are they similar? About the same? I have a uDesign Callaway Razr Fit Extreme that was supposed to come with the Aldila Trinity Black White shaft in regular flex. It came with the green and black standard Aldila Trinity shaft. So Callaway was supposed to send the correct shaft but instead sent the Aldila RIP'D NV shaft?
[/quote]

I can give you the more exact comparison between these two shafts. If you haven't seen this type of shaft comparison before on some of my posts on WRX, the graph and data chart represent full length stiffness measurements of the shafts. This allows us to more accurately compare the stiffness of any two shafts so we can know how much they differ and where on the shaft they differ. On the data chart, the measurements are done at 41" up from the tip, then 36" and so on down to 11" up from the tip.

Here's the comparison and explanations are below that:

[attachment=1683204:RIP'd NV vs Trinity.JPG]

from the butt down to the upper center of the shaft, as designated by the 41 and 36 measurements, the two shafts are very close to being the same. Even that 8 difference at the 31 measurement position is not different enough to really be significant. This means the two shafts do have the same swing speed rating. But then in the center to tip section, the shafts start to differ enough to bring about a little performance difference.

The Trinity becomes softer in the center to tip section than is the RIP'd NV. What this means is that if you have a pretty decent sensitivity to the bending feel of a shaft, the Trinity could bring about a feeling through the downswing that it is very slightly softer in stiffness. If you have a late release, the softer tip section of the Trinity in the 21 and 16 measurement positions is fairly big, so that could bring about an increase in launch angle and spin, with a little bit more flexible feel through the ball.

FYI, from these tip section measurements on the two shafts, neither one is considered to be even close to being tip stiff in design. Tip section measurements that range in the area of 320/350/770 are considered to be more toward being tip flexible while tip section measurements in the area of 360/500/800 are considered to be on the border between tip medium and tip firm but not even close yet to being tip stiff.

So fitting wise, you are looking at shafts which are basically designed for a golfer with a 70-80 or 75-85 mph driver clubhead speed who has an average level of downswing force, and with a midway to only very slightly later release. Of course, as is always the case in shaft fitting, there will always be golfers outside these swing descriptions who will like the shaft as well as some who are dead in the middle of these swing characteristics who may not like the shaft.

TOM

I bought a new Callaway Razr Fit 5-metal with the Callaway OEM shaft that TGW was closing out. I then bought the Trinity shaft only (3-metal length) off of Ebay. I paired these together to regain fairway length with a higher launch, flight and carry. I am 65 and have difficulty getting a 3 higher off the deck. The Trinity is definitely a softer tip that the NV which I play in my TM Rescue Mids. I probably could have gone the S route instead of R with the Trinity but so far I like what I've seen on the range and practicing on the course after hours. The launch is higher and I still get the roll out like a 3. The Trinity is far superior to say an Aldila NVS.

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='TomWishon' timestamp='1368627581' post='7039850']
[quote name='nuthin but a hacker' timestamp='1368579352' post='7036556']
[/quote]

I can give you the more exact comparison between these two shafts. If you haven't seen this type of shaft comparison before on some of my posts on WRX, the graph and data chart represent full length stiffness measurements of the shafts. This allows us to more accurately compare the stiffness of any two shafts so we can know how much they differ and where on the shaft they differ. On the data chart, the measurements are done at 41" up from the tip, then 36" and so on down to 11" up from the tip.

Here's the comparison and explanations are below that:

[attachment=1683204:RIP'd NV vs Trinity.JPG]

from the butt down to the upper center of the shaft, as designated by the 41 and 36 measurements, the two shafts are very close to being the same. Even that 8 difference at the 31 measurement position is not different enough to really be significant. This means the two shafts do have the same swing speed rating. But then in the center to tip section, the shafts start to differ enough to bring about a little performance difference.

The Trinity becomes softer in the center to tip section than is the RIP'd NV. What this means is that if you have a pretty decent sensitivity to the bending feel of a shaft, the Trinity could bring about a feeling through the downswing that it is very slightly softer in stiffness. If you have a late release, the softer tip section of the Trinity in the 21 and 16 measurement positions is fairly big, so that could bring about an increase in launch angle and spin, with a little bit more flexible feel through the ball.

FYI, from these tip section measurements on the two shafts, neither one is considered to be even close to being tip stiff in design. Tip section measurements that range in the area of 320/350/770 are considered to be more toward being tip flexible while tip section measurements in the area of 360/500/800 are considered to be on the border between tip medium and tip firm but not even close yet to being tip stiff.

So fitting wise, you are looking at shafts which are basically designed for a golfer with a 70-80 or 75-85 mph driver clubhead speed who has an average level of downswing force, and with a midway to only very slightly later release. Of course, as is always the case in shaft fitting, there will always be golfers outside these swing descriptions who will like the shaft as well as some who are dead in the middle of these swing characteristics who may not like the shaft.

TOM
[/quote]

Hi Tom,

I have a RIP'd NV 65 S installed on a G20 9.5* with 105mph swing speed and I feel it's launching the ball WAY TOO HIGH. Does that shaft somewhat fit my swing speed? It's a wedding gift and I don't want to end up leaving it in my garage doing me no good. Could you advise on the options I have with this club (tipping it maybe?) Thank you,

Eddie

[quote name='addichen' timestamp='1370994987' post='7218030']

I have a RIP'd NV 65 S installed on a G20 9.5* with 105mph swing speed and I feel it's launching the ball WAY TOO HIGH. Does that shaft somewhat fit my swing speed? It's a wedding gift and I don't want to end up leaving it in my garage doing me no good. Could you advise on the options I have with this club (tipping it maybe?) Thank you,

Eddie
[/quote]

Eddie, based on our bend profile measurements of the RIP'd NV65 S, your swing speed is a little higher than the overall stiffness design of that shaft. The RIP'd NV 65-S is a shaft for golfers with a 90-100mph swing speed with a somewhat aggressive downswing move but not that aggressive, and who also have a somewhat late release but by no means a very late aggressive release.

So if you played this shaft as is, you might think it to be a little more flexible than you might like. Tipping it 1 full inch can help get it to be closer to your swing speed needs, but since you did not offer any information on your transition, tempo and release, I can't say for sure whether the 1" tip would make this shaft be an overall good fit for you or not.

TOM

• 1 month later...

[quote name='TomWishon' timestamp='1371055944' post='7222910']
[quote name='addichen' timestamp='1370994987' post='7218030']

Eddie
[/quote]

Eddie, based on our bend profile measurements of the RIP'd NV65 S, your swing speed is a little higher than the overall stiffness design of that shaft. The RIP'd NV 65-S is a shaft for golfers with a 90-100mph swing speed with a somewhat aggressive downswing move but not that aggressive, and who also have a somewhat late release but by no means a very late aggressive release.

So if you played this shaft as is, you might think it to be a little more flexible than you might like. Tipping it 1 full inch can help get it to be closer to your swing speed needs, but since you did not offer any information on your transition, tempo and release, I can't say for sure whether the 1" tip would make this shaft be an overall good fit for you or not.

TOM
[/quote]

Eventually ditched that driver. Playing 910D2 8.5* w/ Diamana Whiteboard 72S. But thanks for the information Tom. At least I know it's never meant to be.