Titleist ProV1x vs Taylormade Tour Preferred X

zachary12

I have been having fun staring at these pages for the past few weeks as I look for help picking my 2014 ball to go along with my new clubs :)

I want to thank everyone for their reviews and insights - esp with so many new options this year. Lots of food for thought. Currently, I switch off between ProV1x and Penta.

I've seen detailed comparisons/recommendations of TP vs TPx, SR2 vs TP/TPx vs ProV1/ProV1x, Lethal vs (all of the above). However, there is one comparison that I have not be able to find. Unless I've missed something, I have not seen anything posted comparing the Taylormade TPx vs ProV1x.

I know the TPx's are just on the market, but any comparisons would be much appreciated.

New sticks

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

isn't the tpx just the penta renamed ?

[size=4]I'm not up on TM balls , but that was my impression from something I read [/size]

[size=4]I really like the Penta ball and the leathal for that matter , but I get Pro v's for free. The penta is really one of the only balls that holds a candle .. maybe the bridgestone bb330 or whatever [/size]

Ping 425 Max Tour Shaft X 75g 

TSI 4 Wood (3 wood smoke shaft)

500U 3 Iron Smoke 80g
712U 4 Iron
714CB 5-6
718MB 7-PW 
Vokey SM9 50, 55, 60 
SC Newport 2.5

[quote name='zachary12' timestamp='1395423832' post='8919201']
Bump again.
[/quote]You have mentioned that you have read several other comparisons of different balls against the ones in the title. What have deduced about these balls from the other studies?

Do they seem to be very similar from the information you have seen or do certain traits seem different, like spin, launch angle, workability, straight, etc?

I should preface this mini-review with the following: I love Titleist. My whole bag is Titleist, I have multiple sets of Titleist irons and Scotty Camerons lining the walls of my rooms. I've used the Pro V1x EXCLUSIVELY (while trying everything at the beginning of each season) for the past 6 years. Now, with that being said.

The Tour Preferred X is the bees knees. For me, it's significantly better than the Pro V1x. Around the green I find it almost identical, maybe a touch less spin. Where this ball really performs is in the full shots though. I have always thought the Pro V1x left a little to be desired into the wind, and the TPx is everything I have hoped for. I tested the TPx for the first time this past weekend and was consistently getting 10 yards more over the Pro V1x into a half club breeze. With little wind, I think it is maybe half a club longer. The TPx noticeably fought through the wind more effectively and came in with a more piercing trajectory.

This was the first time in the past 6 years I had ever found a ball I like more than the Pro V1x. I took the remaining Pro V1x's I had in my closet today and traded them for store credit while I stocked up on the Tour Preferred X. I never though I'd see the day of a new ball in my bag, but it is simply better. It's a B330 with Pro V1x short game, the Holy Grail.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 Fujikura Rombax 7z08
Titleist 906F2 15 Diamana Blueboard 83
Titleist 712U 2 Dynamic Gold
Titleist 712 CB 3-5 MB 6-9 Dynamic Gold
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08 TVD M 52 58
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport

I am playing through some TM Project (a) balls right now - I have played one round - 10 to 15 MPH wind, pretty cool. Found the ball to really perform. First hole was 115 with my AP2 GW and flew it by the hole about 5 yards, ended up below the hole about 5 yards. Really spun nicely on this shot, even being down wind and landing on freshly aerated/sanded greens. Playing partners were amazed how much the ball came back, though they were not paying attention to what type of ball I was playing.

I assumed it would perform with a NXT Tour, which I feel it blew out of the water. I get a couple dozen NXT Tours every year around Christmas from our CPA's - They are usually my winter balls and tough I feel they fly well in the wind, I hate them around the green.

As the weather warms up, I play on playing the TPx and hope it performs well. If it does not, I may become a Project (a) player which suprises me coming from a long time Pro V1x, newly transitioned Lethal player.

[quote name='pat007' timestamp='1396109498' post='8974759']
They are very similar balls. As was mentionned earlier, the Tour Preferred X spun less for me in the wind. I just played Torrey Pines in a 20MPH wind and could flighht the TP x very well, better than the ProV1x.

I like it, I'm switching, and i've been playing only ProV1x for the last decade or so.
[/quote]

I feel that anyone who loves the Pro V1x will love this ball even more. It's just better.

Titleist 910D3 9.5 Fujikura Rombax 7z08
Titleist 906F2 15 Diamana Blueboard 83
Titleist 712U 2 Dynamic Gold
Titleist 712 CB 3-5 MB 6-9 Dynamic Gold
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08 TVD M 52 58
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport

[quote name='Shwagin1066' timestamp='1396138162' post='8977295']
They are very similar balls. As was mentionned earlier, the Tour Preferred X spun less for me in the wind. I just played Torrey Pines in a 20MPH wind and could flighht the TP x very well, better than the ProV1x.

I like it, I'm switching, and i've been playing only ProV1x for the last decade or so.
[/quote]

I feel that anyone who loves the Pro V1x will love this ball even more. It's just better.
[/quote]

Played the TP X my last two rounds and I agree. If you are ProV1X player I can't think of a single reason that you wouldn't switch to the TP X because it is just better.

Cheers guys for the reviews.
I never got to try the Lethal as I bought 2 doz TP5's when they were running them out so cheap. Have 1/2 doz left and have been wondering what's going to replace them when I'm out. I like the ProV's and Vx but prefer the TP5. Glad to here Taylormade's new ball will be a suitable replacement.

[/quote]

Pat,
I just played Torrey in 20 mph winds also on Monday... Same day as you? That was the day I decided the TP (non x) is my ball for 2024.

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

[quote name='pat007' timestamp='1396238122' post='8984545']
I made 1 birdie all day, #17, to a tucked back right pin!
[/quote]

Nice birdie, specially from the tips of that beast! Hole 17 pin was front right when I played, so must have been a different day. I made one birdie too, hole #8, pin center right, we played the blues, 7100 yards. I also missed an 8 foot birdie putt on #3... Man I wanted a birdie on that famous hole!

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='yahtzee' timestamp='1397929274' post='9125549']
Bummed to see this since my buy 3 get 1 free of customized ProV1X's just showed up. They have my twitter handle on them so maybe I will just leave a few in the rough for some branding help. NOT.
[/quote]

That's a great idea! I hope your ponds are fished by lostgolfballs and if you lose any they end up somewhere completely random!

how does the TP X compare to the prov 1

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

• 4 weeks later...

I am impressed with the new TPx ball compared to the new Prov1x, played 43 holes with the same TPx ball and its cover was in way better shape than the Prov1x for just 18 holes. Hit a 130yd shot with PW doing a head to head comparison test...the Prov1x hit and stopped right near its ball mark, the TPx hit and spun back about 3 feet from its ball mark both balls ended up inside of 6 ft from the flag. The TPx seems to have a bit more spin on the wedge shots. I have made the switch to the TPx very solid ball :good:

Titliest 915D3 Diamana D+ White 70
Titliest 3W 915Fd 15*
Titliest Hybrid 915Hd 20.5*
Adams Pro hybrid 23* (2014)
Mizuno MP-69 irons 5-PW S300
Taylormade rac Wedges 52,56

[quote name='zachary12' timestamp='1395003218' post='8884595']
I have been having fun staring at these pages for the past few weeks as I look for help picking my 2014 ball to go along with my new clubs :)
I want to thank everyone for their reviews and insights - esp with so many new options this year. Lots of food for thought. Currently, I switch off between ProV1x and Penta.

I've seen detailed comparisons/recommendations of TP vs TPx, SR2 vs TP/TPx vs ProV1/ProV1x, Lethal vs (all of the above). However, there is one comparison that I have not be able to find. Unless I've missed something, I have not seen anything posted comparing the Taylormade TPx vs ProV1x.

I know the TPx's are just on the market, but any comparisons would be much appreciated.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1017045-my-taylormade-tptpx-review/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...e-tptpx-review/[/url]

To make a long story short, I feel that the TPx is a longer version of the ProV1x, and slightly softer off the putter also.
I haven't tried the SR3 yet, but I really do think this is the year TaylorMade's TP line is better than the ProV's.
Try a dozen of the TP or TPx; I'd be surprised if anyone does not like them.

Titleist TSi3, Diamana X Series 60x

Titleist TSi3 FW, Tensei Orange 70x

Titleist 690 MB, 3- Pw, DG x100

Ping Glide 2.0, 52 & 56

Axis1 Joey Putter

Played 85 holes this past weekend...Played first 36 with TPX but went back to the ProV1x for remainder of weekend (and I am as big of a TM guy as you will ever meet).....It just didnt perform as well for me.....That said, I will be giving it another side by side this week at my home course to get a better idea and will check back in.

[quote name='yahtzee' timestamp='1400596118' post='9331189']
Played 85 holes this past weekend...Played first 36 with TPX but went back to the ProV1x for remainder of weekend (and I am as big of a TM guy as you will ever meet).....It just didnt perform as well for me.....That said, I will be giving it another side by side this week at my home course to get a better idea and will check back in.
[/quote]

yahtzee,
Just curious, for you, where did V1x beat TPx... Do you mind sharing some details? Thanks, my friend!

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12