2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Titleist ProV1x vs Taylormade Tour Preferred X

zachary12

Compared them both at the Kingdom on a California Course.
Played the ProV1x for a very long time and made my first and only Hole N One with that ball so Im kinda of bias towards the ball.

Driver : TM TPX was a longer and more durable.
Irons : Prov1x was Longer with Long Irons but the TPX was higher and held greens better
Short Game : This is where TPX showed its true colors with how much you can hold the green with a Hard'ish ball and but very nice spin on the ball.
Putter: TPX felt softer and less clicky kinda like a ProV1

The TPX that I played with was a prototype and did turn to a yellowish tint at the end of the round.
The ProV1x stayed true to its color but was alot more scuffed than the TPX.

Better ball ............... who knows.

Is TM going to stop re- branding their balls and stick with this line to compete with Titleist ? Only time will tell.

My favorite ball is still the original Penta,

Something Rare
Something JDM
WITB Link

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='G-Bone' timestamp='1400602112' post='9331991']
[quote name='yahtzee' timestamp='1400596118' post='9331189']
Played 85 holes this past weekend...Played first 36 with TPX but went back to the ProV1x for remainder of weekend (and I am as big of a TM guy as you will ever meet).....It just didnt perform as well for me.....That said, I will be giving it another side by side this week at my home course to get a better idea and will check back in.
[/quote]

yahtzee,
Just curious, for you, where did V1x beat TPx... Do you mind sharing some details? Thanks, my friend!
[/quote]
That's a great question...I think it was more of a gut reaction than anything, if that makes sense...I was playing an away course that was wet. Will give more insight after my home course run.

[quote name='TheBoomer ' timestamp='1400605823' post='9332451']
Played the ProV1x for a very long time and made my first and only Hole N One with that ball so Im kinda of bias towards the ball.

Irons : Prov1x was Longer with Long Irons but the TPX was higher and held greens better
Short Game : This is where TPX showed its true colors with how much you can hold the green with a Hard'ish ball and but very nice spin on the ball.

The TPX that I played with was a prototype and did turn to a yellowish tint at the end of the round.

[b]Is TM going to stop re- branding their balls and stick with this line to compete with Titleist ? Only time will tell.[/b]

[/quote]

This would be a very smart move.

9* Titleist TSi3 AD-DI 7X
14.5* Cobra Radspeed D+ 80x
4-48* Titleist T150 w/Project X LZ 6.0
51* Srixon Z785 

56*/60* Taylormade MG2 TW Grind w/ S400 
Odyssey Jailbird Cruiser
Titleist Pro V1x

[quote name='G-Bone' timestamp='1396154217' post='8978737']
Pat,
I just played Torrey in 20 mph winds also on Monday... Same day as you? That was the day I decided the TP (non x) is my ball for 2014.
[/quote]

Me too Bone. It seems to be a Lethal with more green-side spin, which is optimal for me. I've only played a few rounds with it but so far I'm as happy with this as any ball I've ever played.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

[quote name='nitram' timestamp='1400764282' post='9346025']
Pat,
I just played Torrey in 20 mph winds also on Monday... Same day as you? That was the day I decided the TP (non x) is my ball for 2014.
[/quote]

Me too Bone. It seems to be a Lethal with more green-side spin, which is optimal for me. I've only played a few rounds with it but so far I'm as happy with this as any ball I've ever played.
[/quote]

Ok, so how does the TP compare to the ProV1?

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

[quote name='jonn443' timestamp='1400773818' post='9347125']
Pat,
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

long story short, it's better, without any doubts whatsoever

Titleist TSi3, Diamana X Series 60x

Titleist TSi3 FW, Tensei Orange 70x

Titleist 690 MB, 3- Pw, DG x100

Ping Glide 2.0, 52 & 56

Axis1 Joey Putter

[quote name='jihunyu' timestamp='1400776329' post='9347443']
[quote name='jonn443' timestamp='1400773818' post='9347125']
Pat,
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

long story short, it's better, without any doubts whatsoever
[/quote]

Spin wise? durability? Can you give me a brief comparison?

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto

For me the TP ball is awesome. I was a Prov1 and 1x player (depending on conditions)

Similar spin around the greens to the the Prov1 but longer than the Prov1 off the driver.
Better spin around the greens than the Pro v1x and just as long off the driver.

The TP ball gives me Prov1x distance with Prov1 feel and spin around the greens.

Tried the TPx and hated it. Too hard. I swing 107-110, & my 7 iron is my 175yd club to give you an idea about me.

Couldn't seem to compress the TPx. Felt like a Pinnacle to me

JMHO

G

[quote name='gmoney' timestamp='1400776835' post='9347511']
For me the TP ball is awesome. I was a Prov1 and 1x player (depending on conditions)

Similar spin around the greens to the the Prov1 but longer than the Prov1 off the driver.

The TP ball gives me Prov1x distance with Prov1 feel and spin around the greens.

Tried the TPx and hated it. Too hard. I swing 107-110, & my 7 iron is my 175yd club to give you an idea about me.

JMHO

G
[/quote]

Great comparison... I agree 100%

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

JMHO

G
[/quote]

Sweet..great to hear! Looks like my chrome + might have some competition, hard to beat the spin AND the price of the chrome + though.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto

[quote name='jonn443' timestamp='1400780987' post='9348021']

JMHO

G
[/quote]

Sweet..great to hear! Looks like my chrome + might have some competition, hard to beat the spin AND the price of the chrome + though.
[/quote]

I thought the chrome+ was the best ball considering in price/durability/performance.
But lets take price out of that equation, I'm giving it to the TP line.
Pretty much everything gmoney mentioned, but where I was very impressed with the TP was the way it felt off the putter. Very soft, but not mushy, and no "clicky" sound like the previous TP or Cally balls.
I highly suggest try a dozen of the TP if you're a ProV1 user. Its basically a very long version the ProV1.

Titleist TSi3, Diamana X Series 60x

Titleist TSi3 FW, Tensei Orange 70x

Titleist 690 MB, 3- Pw, DG x100

Ping Glide 2.0, 52 & 56

Axis1 Joey Putter

My driver swing speed is 97-100 mph and I am getting 10-12 yards more from the TPX than the Pro V1X??? I also like the feel of the TPX off my irons and around the green as well. I have always been a Pro V1X player but am wrestling with being disloyal to Titleist for the first time in 7 years and kicking the V1X out of my bag for the TPX.

Interesting reading through this thread. I am a longtime ProV1X'er and have been testing a few different balls this year. Tried the Nike RZN Black....short game and putting did not perform well at all. Still too clicky and rolled out more than I liked. Next i tried the TPX and TP. I LOVE the TPX off the tee and around/on the greens, but for some reason, it did not spin enough for me on approach shots. I had several well-struck mid-iron shots roll through the green on a course that wasn't especially firm or fast. Big disappointment. The ball has much better durability than the V1x, and I liked it better off the tee, but the mid iron lack of spin was a deal breaker for me. Found the TP to fix that problem nicely, but too much spin off the tee. If they could somehow combine off the tee performance of the TPX with everything else in the TP, that would be the most ridiculous ball ever!

So....after all that, I'm back to playing the ProV1x.

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

[quote name='Go_Blue!' timestamp='1400685598' post='9339489']
[quote name='TheBoomer ' timestamp='1400605823' post='9332451']

[b]Is TM going to stop re- branding their balls and stick with this line to compete with Titleist ? Only time will tell.[/b]

[/quote]

This would be a very smart move.
[/quote]

I kinda think they might. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em, and TM has a mirror-image product to Titleist. Look at the boxes for the TP and TPx -- one gold, one black. Plus the fact that there is an original and an "x" model. This ain't a coincidence. We'll see if TM has the discipline or desire to change the balls only every two years, and subtle changes at that. They really are very, very good balls.

Couple of interesting notes:

The new NCAA champ Cameron Wilson won using the TaylorMade TPX ball while carrying a bag with clubs from 5 or 6 different companies and yet NONE from TaylorMade! I spoke with some OEMs in Carlsbad and haven't found one that knows what kind of club contract and with whom when he turns pro in a couple of weeks.

I have asked some PGA and Senior PGA friends who play the ProV1s why is it their preference with a lot of good balls out there now, contract or ?. The answers were almost all of the same. Familiarity with it. Other balls are better in the wind but they don't have to get used to playing less side to side movement. They just have found other balls (notably the TMs and Bridgetones) "too straight" for what they are used to. The Acushnet ball-shoe-contract was mentioned also. A couple have noted that if they had better deals offered they might try to get used to a straighter ball. Interestingly that is why some of the the bigger names used to fight to keep their older versions and fought off going to the newer ProVs. It is not unusual to find 3-4 different generations of these on Tour, they just don't announce it.

In the bag: Playing --- TaylorMade  Qi 10 (core) driver w/Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S. 3wd TM (OG) SIM (special smaller tour only head, same that TW was playing prior to the '24 Genesis approx 160cc) @ 15.*) with Fujikura Ventus 7-S.  5 wd TM SIM w/Fujikura Speeder 857TR-S (Japan made)

HyBrids-Cleveland Hi-Bore #1 (16* plays like 2-Iron) W/Fuji-S Tipped 1/2".  SIM Max #4 (set @ 21.5* w/ Fuji Atmos HB8 9S.  IRONS:  TM M3 4i (2*weak)w SteelFiber i95-S,  P790 3, 5-PW,  w/Fuji Pro 95i-S. SW TM MG4  54*/11 bent to 53*/10 w/ Precision Rifle 6.0-S. LW TaylorMade Hi Toe 3, 58/10 w/Modus Tour 105 Stiff. Putter-- BOBBY GRACE Night&Day-Custom, "M.Coz-Bandsaw Prototype". Ball 2022 TaylorMade Tour Response
 Alternating clubs: the 5wd, TM Hybrid Stealth 2+ #2, 3Iron, depending on what part of the country, course, climate, and conditions.

How do people find the launch angle on these?

I found a TP-X today and played it the last four holes. I didn't do a side by side comparison with My usual V1X, so kinda hard to tell, but thinking it launched a bit higher off of all clubs? Or did I just get lazy with my angle of attack?

Not sure it spun enough for me with my irons, but am skeptic to try the non X model if it's supposed to launch higher. I'm already a bit too high as it is.

[quote name='jtd433' timestamp='1401473668' post='9397503']
I've played both balls this year and feel that the tpX is the longest ball I have ever played..
[/quote]

Have you ever hit a Wilson FG Tour X?

I'm getting through my stash of Lethals and I absolutely love this ball. Which one is closest to Lethal out of TP and TPx?

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Exist' timestamp='1401609089' post='9405989']
[quote name='jtd433' timestamp='1401473668' post='9397503']
I've played both balls this year and feel that the tpX is the longest ball I have ever played..
[/quote]

Have you ever hit a Wilson FG Tour X?

I'm getting through my stash of Lethals and I absolutely love this ball. Which one is closest to Lethal out of TP and TPx?
[/quote]TPX

Count me in as a career long Titleist golf ball player switching to the TP.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Great comparisons. I have also been a long time Titleist ball user from the old balata days and this year I tried the Callaway SR3 ball and it was way to hard for my liking so I went back to the ProV1x but a buddy of mine gave me a TPx ball and I used it for 18 holes. It felt very similar to the 1x but the spin on my driver was way less as well as my irons. I hit the TPx and it would hit and stop where is the 1x would hit and back up 5-8 ft. The feel off the club head is "smooth", not hard not mushy. Green side spin is great for me as well especially with pitches and long chips. The 1x sometimes would hit and check and other times it would release. With the TPx it would hit and release consistently which made it easy to adjust.

The ball also held up better then the Titleist. I have switched to the TPx and haven't looked back. This surprised me because I hated the Lethal and the Penta but love the TPx.

Taylormade M1 9.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Titleist 915 Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Callaway Apex Hybrids 20* & 23*
Callaway Apex Pro 16 5-PW Project X
Callaway MD3 54* & 58*
Odyssey Versa 1

I saw this thread. I had a sleeve of 2014 ProV1x and picked up a sleeve of the TPX and went out to play. Regardless of the commercials, the TPX felt better (softer) and performed a bit better than the Titleist. Launches a bit higher, I got a bit more spin, but not bad sidespin. Less so than the PV1x. I usually don't use either ball, so I don't have a dog in the fight. But TM has a pretty good ball. Very nice ball if you're stuck choosing.

Now only if I could putt...

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Not sure if it's just me or not but the Pro V1x just seems to make my bad shots worse.. cant really say its because of more spin because I seem to spin back other "x" tour balls the same amount but the Pro V1x definitely seems to generate more side spin. Both draws and fades seem to work more in either direction when hit with the Pro V1x. Not sure if it's the dimple patter, core or what it is. Maybe it's just mental but it's in my head now so Ill be looking to try ther TPX or go back to the B330. Have played the regular TP and didn't have these issues.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

• 2 years later...

I have played Pro V1 X's since they came out! I have always been a titleist guy. I was on a full scholarship in college and we had a deal with Titleist. After college since i didn't get balls for free anymore i started trying different balls. I have switched to the Taylormade Tour Preferred X's. Absolutely love them! To me they are about 3-5 yards longer off the tee and just as soft. I believe they spin just as good as a Pro V1 X around the greens as well as full shots into greens. I also think that the TPX is much more durable than the Pro VX. I played one round with a taylormade, and haven't played a Pro V since! And by the way, you can get a dozen Taylormade Tour Preferred X's for 35 bucks on amazon prime right now! I hope this helps!

• 8 months later...

I have always been a ProV1x guy, but with the TP5x being on the market for a bit now...I found a dozen Tour Preferred Xs for $20 and thought...what the heck.

I'm writing this review because I have a feeling other ProV1 guys will be curious to test out TM, and will start with their discounted TP line before jumping onto the new TP5.

Look:

Same look as a ProV1x. The TPx almost looked smoother -- as if the dimple's edges (the ridges between the dimples) were less severe compared to the ProV1x.

TPx did not lose its gleaming white color as quickly as a ProV1x, and with a quick wipe they were almost back to new.

TPx held up far better than a ProV1x. Only one shot in 6 holes put the slightest micro cut in the TPx cover. But, I know from past experiences...it would have cut the ProV1x far worse.

Summary:The TPx really is a "play till you lose it" ball. This made losing one to a cruel bounce all the more painful because i knew I could have played it another 9-12 holes before needing to replace it ::sigh::**

Winner: TPx

Feel:

Woods: TPx feels and sounds less clicky than a ProV1x. Especially on off-center drives. A great, firm smooth-POP feel.

Irons: Again, TPx is less clicky than ProV1x. I would have sworn I was playing a "softer ball"...though it still had the firm X feeling ProV1xers enjoy.

Wedges/Greenside: Really felt the TPx on the clubface vs some ProV1x shots that feel like they bounce off too quick. Nice soft feel.

Putter: WOW! What a difference. TPx was soft, and smooth. The sound was so nice, no click or smoooosh.

Take Away: Same umph, and firm pop. But, TPx definitely has a slightly more muffled cover.

Performance:

Driver: On well struck drives, TPx and ProV1x were identical. But, on off centered hits the TPx appeared to spin a touch less. Kept a touch straighter on more toe/heel shots, and didn't balloon on high face shots or scuttle and die on low face shots.

Irons Distance: Definitely noticed a higher, but more boring iron flight with the TPx. Gained 5 yards with TPx. Slightly off centered hits seemed to hold their distance with the TPx, while the ProV1x flooffed and dropped.

Irons Control: The TPx is definitely harder to hit big fades/draws. But, playable fades/draws feel far more solid and under control with the TPx.

Irons/Wedges Backspin: By the numbers the TPx spins less than the ProV1x. But, when it comes to on course play...I didn't notice any difference. If anything the extra peak-height gave TPx more stopping power then the ProV1x on the average hit.

Short Game Play: I could hit all my ProV1x shots with the TPx with ease. The TPx felt more predictable on short pitches. The ProV1x did stop a foot quicker on more lofted shots (lob over bunker etc)

Take Away: If you like hitting more than 20yrd fades/draws into greens, you might be annoyed by TPx's straighter flight. Similarly, players who prefer high lobs inside 70 yards versus low controlled pitches might suffer from TPx's slightly lower spin. For me, I prefer predictable instead of hoping to control something that can MAX out numbers.

Final Take Away:

After all the shots I hit with both the ProV1x and the TPx...I can boil the difference down to one analogy.

You have to choose between one of two dogs to keep as a pet:

Titus is one of the best dogs you could ask for. His mom was a Westminster show dog, and he's obedient enough to take duck hunting with you. But, he'll chew stuff up and replacing everything is getting expensive, and he'll run away if you leave the door open.

Taylor is a mutt. But, she is a fantastic dog. Super obedient, always down for whatever you throw at her, and has never caused you a lick of trouble...not even a ruined shoe. She won't take home any ribbons, but she's such a good dog.

Unless Taylormade messes up their TP line in the future...I have a feeling I've purchased my last ProV1x

While some of the day's absolute best shots belonged to the ProV1x...most of the bad ones did as well. I will be playing the TPx because of its predictable, consistent, controllable performance. I feel like I can just swing with the TPx, where I would be calculating and worrying with the ProV1x because I knew just how much spin its capable of producing. That MAX spin was something that I loved about the ProV1x...until I realized that the only reason I was hitting 20y draws into greens was because I could, not because I needed to. I'll stick with a taller 10y draw that stops just as quick.

(Now I just need to get my hands on a sample box of TP5x to test them out!)

• 4 months later...

I have always been a ProV1x guy, but with the TP5x being on the market for a bit now...I found a dozen Tour Preferred Xs for $20 and thought...what the heck.

I'm writing this review because I have a feeling other ProV1 guys will be curious to test out TM, and will start with their discounted TP line before jumping onto the new TP5.

Look:

Same look as a ProV1x. The TPx almost looked smoother -- as if the dimple's edges (the ridges between the dimples) were less severe compared to the ProV1x.

TPx did not lose its gleaming white color as quickly as a ProV1x, and with a quick wipe they were almost back to new.

TPx held up far better than a ProV1x. Only one shot in 6 holes put the slightest micro cut in the TPx cover. But, I know from past experiences...it would have cut the ProV1x far worse.

Summary:The TPx really is a "play till you lose it" ball. This made losing one to a cruel bounce all the more painful because i knew I could have played it another 9-12 holes before needing to replace it ::sigh::**

Feel:

Woods: TPx feels and sounds less clicky than a ProV1x. Especially on off-center drives. A great, firm smooth-POP feel.

Irons: Again, TPx is less clicky than ProV1x. I would have sworn I was playing a "softer ball"...though it still had the firm X feeling ProV1xers enjoy.

Wedges/Greenside: Really felt the TPx on the clubface vs some ProV1x shots that feel like they bounce off too quick. Nice soft feel.

Putter: WOW! What a difference. TPx was soft, and smooth. The sound was so nice, no click or smoooosh.

Take Away: Same umph, and firm pop. But, TPx definitely has a slightly more muffled cover.

Performance:

Driver: On well struck drives, TPx and ProV1x were identical. But, on off centered hits the TPx appeared to spin a touch less. Kept a touch straighter on more toe/heel shots, and didn't balloon on high face shots or scuttle and die on low face shots.

Irons Distance: Definitely noticed a higher, but more boring iron flight with the TPx. Gained 5 yards with TPx. Slightly off centered hits seemed to hold their distance with the TPx, while the ProV1x flooffed and dropped.

Irons Control: The TPx is definitely harder to hit big fades/draws. But, playable fades/draws feel far more solid and under control with the TPx.

Irons/Wedges Backspin: By the numbers the TPx spins less than the ProV1x. But, when it comes to on course play...I didn't notice any difference. If anything the extra peak-height gave TPx more stopping power then the ProV1x on the average hit.

Short Game Play: I could hit all my ProV1x shots with the TPx with ease. The TPx felt more predictable on short pitches. The ProV1x did stop a foot quicker on more lofted shots (lob over bunker etc)

Take Away: If you like hitting more than 20yrd fades/draws into greens, you might be annoyed by TPx's straighter flight. Similarly, players who prefer high lobs inside 70 yards versus low controlled pitches might suffer from TPx's slightly lower spin. For me, I prefer predictable instead of hoping to control something that can MAX out numbers.

Final Take Away:

After all the shots I hit with both the ProV1x and the TPx...I can boil the difference down to one analogy.

You have to choose between one of two dogs to keep as a pet:

Titus is one of the best dogs you could ask for. His mom was a Westminster show dog, and he's obedient enough to take duck hunting with you. But, he'll chew stuff up and replacing everything is getting expensive, and he'll run away if you leave the door open.

Taylor is a mutt. But, she is a fantastic dog. Super obedient, always down for whatever you throw at her, and has never caused you a lick of trouble...not even a ruined shoe. She won't take home any ribbons, but she's such a good dog.

Unless Taylormade messes up their TP line in the future...I have a feeling I've purchased my last ProV1x

While some of the day's absolute best shots belonged to the ProV1x...most of the bad ones did as well. I will be playing the TPx because of its predictable, consistent, controllable performance. I feel like I can just swing with the TPx, where I would be calculating and worrying with the ProV1x because I knew just how much spin its capable of producing. That MAX spin was something that I loved about the ProV1x...until I realized that the only reason I was hitting 20y draws into greens was because I could, not because I needed to. I'll stick with a taller 10y draw that stops just as quick.

(Now I just need to get my hands on a sample box of TP5x to test them out!)

Very nice review. Thank you. I completely agree. Interested your thoughts on the TP5x. I prefer the tour preferred x. Too bad taylor made switches too often and the ball you like becomes obsolete and discontinued.