Streamsong - Am I the Only One

I loved the place. I had a gig for a while as a Florida golf tourism writer (talk about a tough job to leave) and played Streamsong well before it was open, not even all the holes were grown in. Then I played in some of their opening parties for media and such and continued to love it.

All that said -- their price point is pretty darned high. Even in the summer, when they should be paying you to play in that searing heat, it's not a giveaway. If you collect Top 100 courses then you gotta go, but if I was traveling with my buddies I think we'd opt for more rounds on the B-plus level courses in Orlando just for more bang for the buck.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='edresnick' timestamp='1425486435' post='11075823']
Just got back from 4 days at Streamsong. We had great weather and a great trip but am I the only one that played the courses and said, its nice but what's all the hype about? The conditions on several of the tees (especially the par 3s) were poor, most of the holes are not memorable, and the bunkers are way too soft and every lie become a fried egg. I can see the options that each hole gives you, like the Old Course, but with all the bunkers around the greens many of the links style shot options are not available or due to the speed of the greens are not advisable. If I was planning my east coast trip I am thinking Kiawah and Pinehurst would trump a trip back to Streamsong. Am I the only one?
[/quote]

I played Red in February, loved it very beautiful out there and a great break from traditional florida courses. Did you play w a caddie?

• PXG Gen 2 0811X 9* Even Flow White 6.5X
  • TM M2 Tour 3W Kuro Kage 70S
  • PXG 0311X Darkness 3 Iron - Aerotech Steelfiber 110S
  • PXG 0311 4 & 5 Iron - Aerotech Steelfiber 110S
  • PXG 0311T 6 - PW - Aerotech Steelfiber 110S
  • Cleveland RTX-4 50, 54, 58 DGS400 Tour Issue
  • 2018 Scotty Laguna

[quote name='teejaywhy' timestamp='1427987095' post='11268597']
[quote name='edresnick' timestamp='1425496422' post='11077059']
[quote name='prsgtrman' timestamp='1425493472' post='11076723']
is streamsong the end all be all? no. are there two really good golf course and a great golf "feel" to the place? absolutely. would i play it again? yes but only b/c my in laws live kinda close. i wouldnt make a trip of it b/c other than golf there isnt enough to do(night time).
[/quote]

That is kind of my point. I had been dying to play both courses since they were both voted top 25 in the country for public access courses. After playing both 2x, I felt like it was a lot of fun and good golf but not much wow factor. If you are only willing to make a short trip to a place that has two top 25 courses, doesn't that mean they are somewhat overrated?

As for the feel, its a very modern facility. Its very different than a traditional golf club. There isn't really a pub only higher end restaurants, which are great but not your typical guy trip golf feel. Give me the feel of Pinehurst anytime with the history and more golf club feel.
[/quote]

I have never been to Streamsong, but here are my thoughts on the topic, focusing on two things:
- Individual motivations, values and expectations
- use of the term "wow factor."

During the recent golf boom period (mid 80's to mid 2000's), a lot of golf courses were built where the "game of golf" was not really the primary focus. Courses were built to sell real estate or resort rooms and as such, an eye-catching visual presentation was needed to attract business. In many cases, the courses were sited on the less desirable property, leaving designers to deal with severe terrain that wasn't always golf friendly. Turning a negative into a positive, the spotlight began to shift from the game to the wow factor and a lot of courses were designed that made for stunning photographs. Dramatic elevation changes, bold hazards, beautiful landscaping, waterfalls, signature holes, etc. In many cases however, the actual playability and golf values were overlooked. High slope ratings became a marketing stratagem. The result: a lot of very visually attractive courses that were damn hard to play and not very fun.

Somewhere along the way, a handful of visionary developers and designers started a paradigm shift toward the idea of building golf courses for playing golf, using property ideally suited for golf. Perhaps one could look at Dick Youngscap and the Sand Hills Golf Club as a beginning of this shift. A site perfect for golf, but miles from nowhere. And the use of a relatively unknown architect, Bill Coore. Then came Bandon, and Ballyneal and so on. Some have called it a renaissance in golf where some of the traditional values of golf were rediscovered. The focus is on golf and the game and less on the peripheral clap trap that distract from the actual golf experience.

So perhaps that is what you are experiencing. Doak and Coore are designers that don't aim for WOW, their goals are playable and interesting GOLF. The focus of the Streamsong resort is golf, not nightlife or glitter.

Now that speaks to one's individual motivations, values and expectations. Perhaps one seeks the more traditional experience where the party is part of the equation in which case, the lack of nightlife may disappoint. On the other hand, if one's interest is more on the golf experience, an early rise and 36 holes of walking golf may not sustain a desire to continue with a late night out.

I think it's helpful to put value on these places for what they are, not knock them for what they are not. Taking a statement like "i wouldnt make a trip of it b/c other than golf there isnt enough to do(night time)" as a confirmation that the place is "overrated," to me misses the point of what places like Streamsong are all about.

I for one, embrace the paradigm shift.
[/quote]

A massive +1 for the above.

That said, most people (including a number on this thread) have never heard of Sand Hills or Ballyneal. There's plenty of resorts in FL with waterfalls on the course and hot girls on the beverage cart. I'm glad Streamsong isn't one of them.

[/quote]

100% agree, great post. So many courses in the DC area were built as the afterthought of an afterthought of the real estate around it.

Again not having been there, we're in on a weekend night package in May for $260 a night. For room + round - I dont know, its going to have to be really, really awful for me to feel like I got ripped off.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Kaili Red 75s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1428100240' post='11278721']
[/quote]

100% agree, great post. So many courses in the DC area were built as the afterthought of an afterthought of the real estate around it.

Again not having been there, we're in on a weekend night package in May for $260 a night. For room + round - I dont know, its going to have to be really, really awful for me to feel like I got ripped off.
[/quote]I also hate courses designed to sell houses. Your deal sounds very good to me, and I'm old enough that a good bed is more important that nightly entertainment.

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1428100240' post='11278721']
[/quote]

[/quote]If you are walking, bring the extra strength Goldbond, and many changes of socks/underwear. Its at least a 14-15 mile walk for 36. Have a great time!