Kevin Burns at the PGA show - "Kustomized"

Gxgolfer

Brief write up
I was on my way out of the show and as I turned the corner, low and behold there was Kevin Burns. During the show, there was this great buzz about KB getting back into the scene but, all I was hearing about was fitting software.

I introduced myself to him and that's when the story unfolded. For those of you that may not know him, KB was one of the first to do alot of thing with milling with CNCs in the biz. His inserts putters are known throughout the world and Jose Marie Olazabal was one of his biggest players. Fans from other parts of the World will recognize his last 3 year venture with Bridgestone/Tourstage Japan.

So the next question came as, "Kevin, where you been?"

He then gave me the nod and said "Let me show you what I've been up to the last few years, 12 hours a day 7 days a week."

He then took me over to the Fitting Interface where Head shape, sight line, sight, dot, insert, non-insert, and initials on the toe could be done. Nothing revolutionary there but, that was just the beginning of the story. After my "virtual head" was built, he took me over to the Virtual fitter. The KB Kiosk had this grip sticking off the side and underneath it was a screen with a virtual computer head. He told me to grab the handle 3 times and setup for a put. We went through the routine and "bam", I was fitted for a 31" putter, 370 gram mallet. The specs of this virtual putter are sent to his factory where your putter is fabricated and sent to you custom fitted to your spec. Kevin then wraps it up by saying that's Mass Customization. By the way for you Lefts out there, a simple button turns the head around. These Kiosk will start showing up in premium markets and will bring the "Tour fitting" and custom putter experience to the everyday golfer from a proven designer and quality Craftsman.

From my previous fittings from others and experimentation, my specs are 32.75", 2 degrees flat, and 4* of loft with a 355gram head. So why the disparity and what about other factors like toe hang, swing type, or loft?

KB countered with his findings that his research has zeroed in on his key factors for fitting and loft for the ideal KB putter. A person's swing type, like a normal golf swing is instructioned related and the optimum loft is a variable dictated by distance from the hole.

Two designs will be available, mallet and anser styles. Stainless only at this point and $599 and $649 are the base prices before additonal upcharges like inserts etc. Once a person's profile is on file, it will allow the instant fitting of future KB designs that are uploaded to the Kiosks.

We will be following up with KB in the near future for a more in depth interview and review.

The laptop will not be part of the system but, was used to show part of the web interface that the Kiosks will access.

We will be following up with KB in the near future with a more in depth review and interview.

Puttertalk also covered this as well:
http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=135510

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting.

A friend still plays an old KB putter and it's one of the most finely-made golf clubs I've seen. Real quality workmanship.

Good to see that the company are still alive and kicking.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

As I said when I originally posted this, I love the fitting system but will be disappointed if there is not another new putter line coming out.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

WOW, extremely interesting!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

[quote name='Konklifer' post='871446' date='Jan 19 2008, 10:14 AM']As I said when I originally posted this, I love the fitting system but will be disappointed if there is not another new putter line coming out.[/quote]

My guess is that he was spending most of his time on the putter fitting system and didn't have time to work on new designs. It might be that new designs will be stage 2.

When I asked him about bringing out new lines, he said that people can get fitted or they can order these over the web.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
BST AD Help

[quote name='indianshaft' post='872608' date='Jan 19 2008, 06:14 PM']So this fitting is only for Kevin Burn's putters, if you wanted another companys putter your specs would be different?[/quote]

That's correct. I asked him about that he said this system is all about the ideal "KB Putter" for you.

BST AD Help

[quote name='indianshaft' post='872608' date='Jan 19 2008, 09:14 PM']So this fitting is only for Kevin Burn's putters, if you wanted another companys putter your specs would be different?[/quote]

If you've ever tried a Kevin Burns Putter, especially one that was fit to you, you wouldn't want to try any other manufactures.

• 4 months later...

You hold on to the grip and look down to the floor at an lcd screen with a putter head graphic on it ?

That's it ? No holding an assembled putter, no making a stroke, no striking a ball ?

I was on my way out of the show and as I turned the corner, low and behold there was Kevin Burns. During the show, there was this great buzz about KB getting back into the scene but, all I was hearing about was fitting software.

I introduced myself to him and that's when the story unfolded. For those of you that may not know him, KB was one of the first to do alot of thing with milling with CNCs in the biz. His inserts putters are known throughout the world and Jose Marie Olazabal was one of his biggest players. Fans from other parts of the World will recognize his last 3 year venture with Bridgestone/Tourstage Japan.

So the next question came as, "Kevin, where you been?"

He then gave me the nod and said "Let me show you what I've been up to the last few years, 12 hours a day 7 days a week."

He then took me over to the Fitting Interface where Head shape, sight line, sight, dot, insert, non-insert, and initials on the toe could be done. Nothing revolutionary there but, that was just the beginning of the story. After my "virtual head" was built, he took me over to the Virtual fitter. The KB Kiosk had this grip sticking off the side and underneath it was a screen with a virtual computer head. He told me to grab the handle 3 times and setup for a put. We went through the routine and "bam", I was fitted for a 31" putter, 370 gram mallet. The specs of this virtual putter are sent to his factory where your putter is fabricated and sent to you custom fitted to your spec. Kevin then wraps it up by saying that's Mass Customization. By the way for you Lefts out there, a simple button turns the head around. These Kiosk will start showing up in premium markets and will bring the "Tour fitting" and custom putter experience to the everyday golfer from a proven designer and quality Craftsman.

From my previous fittings from others and experimentation, my specs are 32.75", 2 degrees flat, and 4* of loft with a 355gram head. So why the disparity and what about other factors like toe hang, swing type, or loft?

KB countered with his findings that his research has zeroed in on his key factors for fitting and loft for the ideal KB putter. A person's swing type, like a normal golf swing is instructioned related and the optimum loft is a variable dictated by distance from the hole.

Two designs will be available, mallet and anser styles. Stainless only at this point and $599 and $649 are the base prices before additonal upcharges like inserts etc. Once a person's profile is on file, it will allow the instant fitting of future KB designs that are uploaded to the Kiosks.

We will be following up with KB in the near future for a more in depth interview and review.

The laptop will not be part of the system but, was used to show part of the web interface that the Kiosks will access.

We will be following up with KB in the near future with a more in depth review and interview.

Puttertalk also covered this as well:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=135510

Anyone hear if the KB operation is up and running yet?

I'd like to know this as well. Anymore news guys?

I've been using a 9304 for nearly 10 years and when I first heard about a potential 'custom shop' I was obviously very interested. I was debating whether to fly over and have another one made but I'm not sure I can justify flying halfway round the world for a fitting that take's less than 5 minutes.

Any idea if you can just order one with your own headweight/length/loft/lie/stampings etc without having the fitting?

• 3 months later...

Hit an imaginary ball with an imaginary putter and BOOM, you're fit?

No thanks... I see this catching on never. This is not to diminish the amount of work put in, but dream on...

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

• 1 month later...