2 weeks post first lesson with iteach (Dan C)... update w/ video

[quote name='tinman143' timestamp='1433341765' post='11681322']
I really like how this has also corrected your follow through. Look at the extension vs the before chicken wing! I'm trying to convince my wife to let me fly out to see Dan but to no avail sadly.
[/quote]

Might be easier to just go see Dan and try to convince her to let you back in the house when you get home ...

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='tinman143' timestamp='1433341765' post='11681322']
I really like how this has also corrected your follow through. Look at the extension vs the before chicken wing! I'm trying to convince my wife to let me fly out to see Dan but to no avail sadly.
[/quote]

Take her to Florida for "vacation"...Then sneak off to see Dan.

[quote name='lefty57' timestamp='1433342623' post='11681456'][quote name='tinman143' timestamp='1433341765' post='11681322']
[/quote]

Might be easier to just go see Dan and try to convince her to let you back in the house when you get home ...[/quote]
Ahhh, the ask for forgiveness is better than asking for permission trick. I likey.

[quote name='dornstar' timestamp='1433123611' post='11663636']
I'll get some video up tomorrow or the next day. I cleared all the videos off my phone before heading out of town. Just wanted to post my scoring since my lesson since that's really what matters.

Rounds since May 12th lesson with Dan...

5/15 74
5/20 69
5/22 68
5/24 78 (76.7 rated course)
5/29 73
5/31 74

Scoring average = 72.7

Rounds after I started working with Wayne Defrancesco (Feb-May)...

[size=6][u][b]93
69[/b][/u][/size]
88 (first round after lesson)

Scoring average = 78.3

Now, I'm a scratch golfer, so it's not like Dan turned a 10 handicap into a 0, but needless to say that he got me back on track in a hurry and a 5 stroke average improvement is a massive improvement in such a short amount of time, so I thought it was worth posting. The biggest change is not so much that my good shots are better. It's that my bad shots are [b]SIGNIFICANTLY [/b]better and my consistency is so much better than what I had when I was working with Wayne D. Part of that is the swing changes. Part of it was the kick in the a** that Dan gave me about being a perfectionist and feeling like every shot had to be struck perfectly. That talk has really freed me up and has got me focusing on advancing the ball to the target safely rather than trying to hit great feeling shots. In the past, I was routinely the guy that would get pissed as soon as the ball came off the face because it felt awful only for the ball to finish safely on the green 20 feet away. The change in mindset was every bit as important as the mechanical changes that were made. What I really like about Dan is that I saw immediate improvement. Wayne is a great player and teacher, but I struggled big time at first with him and really felt like I lost my feel for what the club was doing in the swing.

Anyways, I have a qualifier Tuesday for the Florida Amateur and I can not wait. It's been a while since I felt like I was ready going into a tournament. Looking at the 6 qualifying sites which are already been done, 76 has qualified at most locations and should give a good indication whether or not the changes are ready for tournament pressure. Wish me luck!!!
[/quote]

Damn, to play 3 under one round and then 21 over the next......

[quote name='tjames' timestamp='1433345844' post='11681946']
[quote name='dornstar' timestamp='1433123611' post='11663636']
I'll get some video up tomorrow or the next day. I cleared all the videos off my phone before heading out of town. Just wanted to post my scoring since my lesson since that's really what matters.

Rounds since May 12th lesson with Dan...

5/15 74
5/20 69
5/22 68
5/24 78 (76.7 rated course)
5/29 73
5/31 74

Scoring average = 72.7

Rounds after I started working with Wayne Defrancesco (Feb-May)...

[size=6][u][b]93
69[/b][/u][/size]
88 (first round after lesson)

Scoring average = 78.3

Now, I'm a scratch golfer, so it's not like Dan turned a 10 handicap into a 0, but needless to say that he got me back on track in a hurry and a 5 stroke average improvement is a massive improvement in such a short amount of time, so I thought it was worth posting. The biggest change is not so much that my good shots are better. It's that my bad shots are [b]SIGNIFICANTLY [/b]better and my consistency is so much better than what I had when I was working with Wayne D. Part of that is the swing changes. Part of it was the kick in the a** that Dan gave me about being a perfectionist and feeling like every shot had to be struck perfectly. That talk has really freed me up and has got me focusing on advancing the ball to the target safely rather than trying to hit great feeling shots. In the past, I was routinely the guy that would get pissed as soon as the ball came off the face because it felt awful only for the ball to finish safely on the green 20 feet away. The change in mindset was every bit as important as the mechanical changes that were made. What I really like about Dan is that I saw immediate improvement. Wayne is a great player and teacher, but I struggled big time at first with him and really felt like I lost my feel for what the club was doing in the swing.

Anyways, I have a qualifier Tuesday for the Florida Amateur and I can not wait. It's been a while since I felt like I was ready going into a tournament. Looking at the 6 qualifying sites which are already been done, 76 has qualified at most locations and should give a good indication whether or not the changes are ready for tournament pressure. Wish me luck!!!
[/quote]

Damn, to play 3 under one round and then 21 over the next......
[/quote]
That round really was an anomaly.

It was a tournament around the beginning of March or late Feb at Longboat Key Club which is a really tight course with water EVERYWHERE. The conditions were brutal with rain and about 25mph sustained wind on a 50 degree day which is cold for us down here in Florida. Things got out of hand in a hurry and I basically mentally checked out. Just a miserable day and then I got stuck in traffic for a half marathon on the way home turning a 1 hour drive into a 2+.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name=' Dave D' timestamp='1432910858' post='11649604']
an amazing difference in such a short time, great work.

id be intrigued to see the whole video of your before and after, is that something you would consider posting?
[/quote]
Here's the before and after videos. I forgot how to embed the videos. Things are still going well and I'm getting ready to setup my next lesson with Dan. Hardest change has been mentally seeing a fade since I've been a drawer for so long and sticking with it rather than trying to draw a tee shot for more distance. That draw can go anywhere for me.

Edit...here's a side by side comparison video with the new (yesterday on left... fade swing) and old swing (April on right... draw aka spray ball all over the place swing). Impact is synced up and there's full speed and slow motion. Huge differences...

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0enRoCSIB_M"]https://www.youtube....h?v=0enRoCSIB_M[/url]

This was just the first change after one lesson and I'm sure Dan will go to work on me in our next, but it's a good initial start. Contact isn't always perfect and the ball doesn't do what I want everytime, but my misses are so much more playable.

Thanks all. It's definitely improved. Only problem I'm really experiencing is that when I'm tired, I start to get the ball leaking to the right more than I want.

I played today and I hit my first 5 approach shots inside of 20 feet. 3 of them were inside 10. Unfortunately, I had one of the worst putting days I've had recently and only made 1 of them. Made the turn with a 34, but ran out of gas on the back and shot a 42. Probably didn't help that I had went on a long run today and then got the call for a last minute round. With the 94* heat, I was dead by the end of the round.

[quote name='jbw749' timestamp='1434588701' post='11772762']
[quote name='dornstar' timestamp='1434587918' post='11772694']
Thanks all. It's definitely improved. Only problem I'm really experiencing is that when I'm tired, I start to get the ball leaking to the right more than I want.
[/quote]
dorn,
do you occasionally get a shank out of no where when trying to rehinge fast?
[/quote]
Never.

Contact is generally more toe side for me. Old move was more heely.

With the faster rehinge (I think of Dustin Johnson's swing for my mental image), I stay in my posture better and end up with a much better strike.

great improvement. was it a deliberate change to a fade or just happened with the improved mechanics?

I ask because my online lessons with Dan as my swing is getting better technically ive started hitting a draw instead, which isn't a problem.

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

It was by design by Dan. It moved my path from excessively inside out to 2-3 degrees left. It's definitely not a big fade. Maybe 10-15 yards max. Dan said we would work to reduce the curvature as we progress. It's really, really hard for me to hook a shot and I've only had a handful of them which I love. It's the first time in forever that I haven't had a 2 way miss.

• 4 years later...

> @dornstar said:

> Thanks all. It's definitely improved. Only problem I'm really experiencing is that when I'm tired, I start to get the ball leaking to the right more than I want.

>

>

>

> I played today and I hit my first 5 approach shots inside of 20 feet. 3 of them were inside 10. Unfortunately, I had one of the worst putting days I've had recently and only made 1 of them. Made the turn with a 34, but ran out of gas on the back and shot a 42. Probably didn't help that I had went on a long run today and then got the call for a last minute round. With the 94* heat, I was dead by the end of the round.

I relate so much to many of the things you have said in this thread! I have also started working with Dan- I could be 2 under through 3 or 4 holes then go on a string of pars then before I know it, a couple of bogies or the odd double. When I started to video my swing over time and couldn't fix it with set up changes I knew I needed to consult a diagnostic wizard (Dan). He has delivered in spades!

My first range session was a revelation post online lesson - contact went from bottom toe side to right in the middle of the club.

I have a way to go- I felt like I was doing what we talked about at say, 40%- but was really only doing it about 20%- but the divots and contact on the face changed which was very encouraging.

My swing was a legacy from the high handed swing of the past- I could save the club and the face when my timing and concentration were there- but when it's balls hot out or I'm tired, I will start out good and then towards the back half of the round I'll start hitting sloppy and then lose interest!

I looked a bit similar to your impact as well- you wouldn't think a single digit capper could throw the club at the ball but that's basically what I was doing! It's a lot of work to shoot a 76 on a good golf course for me. A LOT of work.

Consulting with Dan may be the best golf decision I've made!

> @dornstar said:

> jbw749 wrote:

>

>

>

> Dorn, you mean he's wants you to rehinge it agressivley into the follow through? Like speed up the hands?

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Think of a hip high to hip high swing where the club is fully set on both sides. On the through swing though, the hinge is more aggressive. This I suppose got my hands and arms moving faster.

I'm a little confused. Is the "re hinging" moving from radial to ulnar or is it moving the back of the lead hand from flexion to extension?

> @PJ1120 said:

> > @dornstar said:

> > jbw749 wrote:

> >

> >

> >

> > Dorn, you mean he's wants you to rehinge it agressivley into the follow through? Like speed up the hands?

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Think of a hip high to hip high swing where the club is fully set on both sides. On the through swing though, the hinge is more aggressive. This I suppose got my hands and arms moving faster.

>

> I'm a little confused. Is the "re hinging" moving from radial to ulnar or is it moving the back of the lead hand from flexion to extension?

>

> Dan or Monte maybe?