Denver area club fitter recommendations.

rkrech

Brian - I'm with you. Just dropped all my clubs off to Dan for some work. I can't say enough nice things about the guy.

Because I'm super pumped about my order and excited for pretty much anyone else too, what are you having done?

Just getting ready for the season stuff. Loft / Lies confirm and adjusted, new shaft in my wedges (going from Vokey wedge shafts to KBS Tour to match my irons) and re-gripping. I already plan on going back in the spring to do a driver shaft fitting to be sure what I'm playing is optimal. Funny, he found the lofts on all my irons (mizuno JPX825Pros) were all 2*-4* weak. He wasn't sure how that happened as he normally sees them go to strong from hitting on mats. But like you said, I've found my guy.

I saw some 850F's when I was there last weekend, were those yours? If so, they sure are pretty....

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian - I'm with you. Just dropped all my clubs off to Dan for some work. I can't say enough nice things about the guy.

Because I'm super pumped about my order and excited for pretty much anyone else too, what are you having done?

Just getting ready for the season stuff. Loft / Lies confirm and adjusted, new shaft in my wedges (going from Vokey wedge shafts to KBS Tour to match my irons) and re-gripping. I already plan on going back in the spring to do a driver shaft fitting to be sure what I'm playing is optimal. Funny, he found the lofts on all my irons (mizuno JPX825Pros) were all 2*-4* weak. He wasn't sure how that happened as he normally sees them go to strong from hitting on mats. But like you said, I've found my guy.

I saw some 850F's when I was there last weekend, were those yours? If so, they sure are pretty....

They are. Picking them up at 11! I'll be doing a separate post later about the whole experience. Certainly can't hurt to send more folks his way. Glad you're happy with him as well.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the informative posts, guys. I am in the process of deciding on a place to fit me for a driver. Would love to hear any updates or anyone else's experiences at these places, good or bad.

Still haven't been able to post a full review of my experience yet, but I'm still in Dan Weitzel's corner. He's smart, patient, and knowledgable. He just picked up the Cobra account in January, so he's got a full line of new Cobra drivers, in addition to Callaway and Mizuno. Add to that the fact that he can get just about anything else you'd like to have a look at, and you've got a solid option for a fitter. I think he charges $100 for a fitting session, but gives you $50 back towards your driver purchase if you end up buying with him.

I got fit for my entire bag in the winter, and the only thing I didn't buy was a new driver head. That said, he put me into shafts that are perfect for me, and my high launching/spinning driver he wanted to get me out of now launches lower and has quite a bit less spin, all thanks to the proper shaft. I usually miss a fair amount of fairways with the driver, but was 13/14 on Friday and averaging probably 295-ish, with a few close to 320 (still not sure how, but the yardage book doesn't lie!). Couldn't be happier.

I'd give Dan a call; you won't regret it.

Thanks for the informative posts, guys. I am in the process of deciding on a place to fit me for a driver. Would love to hear any updates or anyone else's experiences at these places, good or bad.

Still haven't been able to post a full review of my experience yet, but I'm still in Dan Weitzel's corner. He's smart, patient, and knowledgable. He just picked up the Cobra account in January, so he's got a full line of new Cobra drivers, in addition to Callaway and Mizuno. Add to that the fact that he can get just about anything else you'd like to have a look at, and you've got a solid option for a fitter. I think he charges $100 for a fitting session, but gives you $50 back towards your driver purchase if you end up buying with him.

I got fit for my entire bag in the winter, and the only thing I didn't buy was a new driver head. That said, he put me into shafts that are perfect for me, and my high launching/spinning driver he wanted to get me out of now launches lower and has quite a bit less spin, all thanks to the proper shaft. I usually miss a fair amount of fairways with the driver, but was 13/14 on Friday and averaging probably 295-ish, with a few close to 320 (still not sure how, but the yardage book doesn't lie!). Couldn't be happier.

I'd give Dan a call; you won't regret it.

Thanks man! I appreciate the input. I'm thinking of setting up a fitting for next Wednesday (weather provided). It's a big commitment (~$400-500 for a new driver), so it's important to me to find a good fitter. At the same time, I'm very excited; I've never been fitted for clubs in my life, despite being a ~4 handicap.

• 3 weeks later...

I highly recommend Dan Weitzel of www.weitzelgolf.com

I had been looking for a solid fitter for a while around denver. He is very reasonable in terms of pricing and he is very knowledgeable.

I highly recommend him.

Hope you find what you are looking for!

I highly recommend Dan Weitzel of www.weitzelgolf.com

I had been looking for a solid fitter for a while around denver. He is very reasonable in terms of pricing and he is very knowledgeable.

I highly recommend him.

Hope you find what you are looking for!

I want to thank everyone than recommended Dan Weitzel. I had an iron fitting with him today. The fitting was outstanding. We spent over 3 hours trying to find the perfect option. He is a wealth of knowledge and his pride really shows.

My irons should be ready next week. So, I will keep everyone posted on the finished product and experience.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my irons from Dan Weitzel on Sunday. I couldn't be happier with the experience. I really ended up with a great set of irons that are meticulously crafted by an expert.

BEST fitting experience I ever had. Thorough and fun. Dan is a laid back guy who obviously loves golf and club fitting.

Here's the final product.

· Mizuno MP-25 RH irons

· 4-P

· +1/4” length

· Progressive swingweight range from D1.5 to D3.5

· White TW 2 wraps, label down

· KBS Tour shafts

o S flex 4 iron stiff, 1 X hard stepped

o S flex 5 iron stiff, 1 X hard stepped

o X flex 6-P X stiff, 1 X soft stepped

50* Callaway Mavk Daddy gap wedge.

All irons 1* upright.

IMG_2075.JPG

IMG_2076.JPG

• 7 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm new to the whole club fitting scene (and Denver for that matter). This thread showed up from a Google Search.

Anyway, I'm not entirely sure where I should go/who I should see for what I'm looking for. I've been golfing for 26 of the 28 years I've been on this Earth. Have never been fitted, nor taken any lessons. I'm a decent player, but can definitely improve. Anyway, I've had the same clubs since high school. Looking at 10-12 year old iron set, and an old R7 driver I got from a thrift store.

I recently picked up a new (old stock) SLDR 430cc TP Japan-issue driver, and a used set of TaylorMade TP MC irons. So I've already got the clubs. It seems from reading here, that when getting fitted for a club, you usually end up buying a new set at the end. I barely have enough money for the fitting itself, let alone a new set of clubs. Anyway, the main reason I want to get fitted is to simply get the right shaft for my driver. The one it came with, I don't really want to use. I have a shaft in mind, so I basically want to get fitted so I know exactly what weight, flex, and length I should buy. Am I approaching this the wrong way? Should I not have something specific in my mind? Will I basically get turned away from a fitting if I'm just looking for something so specific?

Thanks for any help guys!

I doubt anyone will turn you away. At the end of the day, you have a specific goal in mind, and the job of the fitter is to get you as close to that goal as possible (preferably with budget in mind). When I got fitted for my bag, I had a driver head in hand and did not want to move from it at that point. Dan (my fitter here in Denver) worked to help me find a shaft that was great that also fell right in my price range. He told me I could use the head I had, but armed with the knowledge that more optimal numbers were still out there if I decided to switch things up later.

Any good fitter will understand that not everyone has the cash to drop on a new head/shaft/etc. Be clear about what you want to do, and ideally, they'll work with you.

Who knows, some fitters will even knock the price of the fitting off if you end up buying something from them...or at the very least, maybe discount the fitting. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

I am curious on your guys' thoughts about the different fitters in the area. I went to D'Lance golf and while I love the irons I got, I don't know if I was sold on their philosophy enough to do a driver fitting with them. It seemed like they wanted to get me into driver shafts that were very weak. Anyone else have this experience? I spoke with a fitter down here in the Springs and he said that that is kind of the rep that D'Lance has among the fitters. Be interested in your thoughts. I am looking to get a driver (and maybe 3wood) fitting done and would love to hear other's experiences.

Went to d'lance and still have the irons they fit me in (this will be the third season with them)

Driver didn't last long and when I went to get another driver fitting with a club pro outdoor on a launch monitor he laughed that they put me in the driver/shaft combo they did.

I'd check out the new Club Champion opening in centennial. I've heard great things.

Went to d'lance and still have the irons they fit me in (this will be the third season with them)

Driver didn't last long and when I went to get another driver fitting with a club pro outdoor on a launch monitor he laughed that they put me in the driver/shaft combo they did.

I'd check out the new Club Champion opening in centennial. I've heard great things.

Thanks! I think I'll check them out. I love the selection the Club champion locations have.

Thanks! I think I'll check them out. I love the selection the Club champion locations have.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping to connect with Dan this week to get fit for a new set of single length irons. Leaning towards the Cobras after hitting them at the local Golf Galaxy but we'll see how it goes. I'll update with pictures of what I get later.

Good luck! I hit them at GG and was surprised as well. Feel was nicer than I thought they'd be. I'm going to Dan's next week to look at a couple of wedge options to replace my current 60º. Leaning PM grind.

Good luck! I hit them at GG and was surprised as well. Feel was nicer than I thought they'd be. I'm going to Dan's next week to look at a couple of wedge options to replace my current 60º. Leaning PM grind.

Met with Dan today and I'm going with the Cobra F7 single length 5-PW. I also took a few of his demo Callaway wedges to the local golf course to try out. I'll probably pick up a couple of those too. Love that PM grind!

Had a friend get fitted for a driver at Club Champion. His gains were remarkable. 20+ yards for a player who already averaged 285 off the tee. The downside was the driver with the custom shaft was around $800.

That is so much money. I don't think 20 yards is worth it...but everyone's different!

Had a friend get fitted for a driver at Club Champion. His gains were remarkable. 20+ yards for a player who already averaged 285 off the tee. The downside was the driver with the custom shaft was around $800.

That is so much money. I don't think 20 yards is worth it...but everyone's different!

I would agree. I would love to gain 20. But that price is pretty heavy. But, if money isn't concern it seems that they are solid and have unlimited options to get you into a "perfect" fit.

• 1 month later...

Met with Dan today and I'm going with the Cobra F7 single length 5-PW. I also took a few of his demo Callaway wedges to the local golf course to try out. I'll probably pick up a couple of those too. Love that PM grind!

How was your experience with Dan? I'm looking to get fitted for a driver sometime this year.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Bumping this thread.

I'm looking to get fit into a new driver. It sounds like Dan Weitzel is universally acclaimed, but his website doesn't look like it's been updated since 2012. Also, reviews on D'Lance and Gott are mixed. Has anyone been to the Club Champion and been fit for a driver?

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]D - TaylorMade SLDR 10.5* - Project X PXV Stiff[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]3W - Titleist 910F 15* - Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 'ahina 82 Stiff[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]3H - Titleist 909H 21* - [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana Blue 85 Hybrid Stiff[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]4-PW - Titleist AP2 710[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]GW/SW/LW - Vokey 200 Series - Black Nickel[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]P - Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 35"[/size][/font][/color]

Bumping this thread.

I'm looking to get fit into a new driver. It sounds like Dan Weitzel is universally acclaimed, but his website doesn't look like it's been updated since 2012. Also, reviews on D'Lance and Gott are mixed. Has anyone been to the Club Champion and been fit for a driver?

I think a few guys in the Colorado WRX 2017 thread had some good luck with Club Champion.

I was recently fit for a new driver and 3W shaft at Club Champion. Solid experience. Nice little facility and a great selection of shafts and heads. Pricey up front, but not really if you are a typical GolfWRX’er who try’s to continually self fit like I had.

I’ve also been fit at D’Lance. The fitter who I liked is no longer there, but Dan is a nice guy. PJ if he’s still there wasn’t my favorite.

One difference is that D’Lance builds your clubs in house. If you have an issue, they can fix or tweak it quickly. Club Champion does their builds out of state.. Was about a 10day turnaround to get my clubs in hand.

Ping G425 - Oban Revenge 5
2h & 4h Ping G410 - Ping Tour 90
5-9 Srixon Z585 - Steelfiber FC90cw
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 46* & 50* 

TM Bigfoot Raw 56* 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten
Vice Pro