2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Any recommendations for The Preserve at Jordan Lake and Chapel Ridge Golf Club?

ZTB481

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend and I played Chapel Ridge 9/26. Here's my review on GolfNow and in re-reading I feel I was too polite. The greens and their surroundings were embarassing.

Stay away (at least for awhile)...

09/26/2019

Handicap: 15-19 Plays: Once a week

I live about 50 minutes away and I paid $35 sr. rate at a course I generally love traveling to and playing. That price was about $30 too much! Greens are in horrible shape as it's truly hit and hope putting. Some greens are aerated, others have been painted, others have tire marks running thru them. All have bare spots and are "muddy". The collars have been re-sodded in places so around those areas are marked GUR. I know the course will get better and it's just a rough patch right now but I cannot recommend someone play there in the near future. At the very least they should lower their greens fees because of all the problems...

Last year as a Christmas gift my wife said she would pay for a golf weekend for me and my son and sent me a link to MyGolfVacation.Com. Looked at the Asheville area and the Raleigh area courses and picking Tot Hill Farm or Tobacco Rd was a no brainer based on what I had read. Looking at the rest of the courses associated with the Raleigh area , The Preserve, Chapel Ridge and Falls Village Golf Club are the courses in the area. They do show "nearby courses in the village of Pinehurst" , including Tot Hill and Tobacco Rd. We live in the Charlotte area so Tot Hill Farm would kinda be on the way from Charlotte to Raleigh. My idea was to drive to to Tot Hill Farm, tee off around noon, then drive to a hotel in Raleigh, get dinner watch a football game on TV. Sunday drive to The Preserve for a 9 AM tee time and then head back to Charlotte. This would eliminate a lot of driving. A lot more choices in the Sand Hills region .

IMHO, The Pinehurst area would be the better choice. The 3 "Raleigh" area courses are not any I would drive from Charlotte to play. I won't even play them living in the area! Falls Village is always disappointing and never in good shape, Chapel Ridge has troubles currently and The Preserve is okay but tight around houses. Try The Comfort Inn in Pinehurst, eat/watch games at Hickory Tavern next door and play a couple nicer courses than FV, CR, or The Preserve. Perhaps even try Tobacco Road Travel rather than My Golf Vacation. Have a nice trip and enjoy the Sandhills.

There is always Finley in Chapel Hill, Lonnie Poole in Raleigh, and Washington Duke in Durham(can stay there too) if you want to do a Raleigh area course. But there are plenty of options closer to Tobacco Rd. that may make more sense to get the most out the trip.

Falls Village isn't worth the 10 minute drive for me, let alone someone coming from out of town.

> @NCLancer said:

> A friend and I played there 9/26. Here's my review on GolfNow and in re-reading I feel I was too polite. The greens and their surroundings were embarassing.

>

> Stay away (at least for awhile)...

> 09/26/2019

> Handicap: 15-19 Plays: Once a week

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> I live about 50 minutes away and I paid $35 sr. rate at a course I generally love traveling to and playing. That price was about $30 too much! Greens are in horrible shape as it's truly hit and hope putting. Some greens are aerated, others have been painted, others have tire marks running thru them. All have bare spots and are "muddy". The collars have been re-sodded in places so around those areas are marked GUR. I know the course will get better and it's just a rough patch right now but I cannot recommend someone play there in the near future. At the very least they should lower their greens fees because of all the problems...

This is Jordan lake your talking about?

> @"Phil_I_am 84" said:

> > @NCLancer said:

> > A friend and I played there 9/26. Here's my review on GolfNow and in re-reading I feel I was too polite. The greens and their surroundings were embarassing.

> >

> > Stay away (at least for awhile)...

> > 09/26/2019

> > Handicap: 15-19 Plays: Once a week

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > I live about 50 minutes away and I paid $35 sr. rate at a course I generally love traveling to and playing. That price was about $30 too much! Greens are in horrible shape as it's truly hit and hope putting. Some greens are aerated, others have been painted, others have tire marks running thru them. All have bare spots and are "muddy". The collars have been re-sodded in places so around those areas are marked GUR. I know the course will get better and it's just a rough patch right now but I cannot recommend someone play there in the near future. At the very least they should lower their greens fees because of all the problems...

>

>

> This is Jordan lake your talking about?

It is Chapel Ridge in Pittsboro that I played and reviewed. I fixed my post. Thanks for the question and I'm sorry I was unclear.

Just to follow up on this. I crapped on falls village in my original post. But I played it yesterday. They have new greens and the fairways are in great shape for the most part. Good greens have turned this place around as it's always had a decent layout. Would definitely play again. Although still not close to a destination course

> @"Phil_I_am 84" said:

> Just to follow up on this. I crapped on falls village in my original post. But I played it yesterday. They have new greens and the fairways are in great shape for the most part. Good greens have turned this place around as it's always had a decent layout. Would definitely play again. Although still not close to a destination course

Thank you for the info that Falls Village is on the rebound. I haven't been there since last spring when I had never been so disappointed in a course's conditions. It's only about 20 minutes away so I guess I'll have to give them another try...

> @NCLancer said:

> > @"Phil_I_am 84" said:

> > Just to follow up on this. I crapped on falls village in my original post. But I played it yesterday. They have new greens and the fairways are in great shape for the most part. Good greens have turned this place around as it's always had a decent layout. Would definitely play again. Although still not close to a destination course

>

> Thank you for the info that Falls Village is on the rebound. I haven't been there since last spring when I had never been so disappointed in a course's conditions. It's only about 20 minutes away so I guess I'll have to give them another try...

Grabbed a Hot Deal and played Falls Village today. Greens are rolling nicely, the tee boxes are fairly level and have grass growing on them and the fairways are improved greatly. I will put this back into the rotation and look forward to playing it again. As Phil said it's not a destination course but at least it is now playable. Previously it was a complete mess!

> @NCLancer said:

> > @NCLancer said:

> > > @"Phil_I_am 84" said:

> > > Just to follow up on this. I crapped on falls village in my original post. But I played it yesterday. They have new greens and the fairways are in great shape for the most part. Good greens have turned this place around as it's always had a decent layout. Would definitely play again. Although still not close to a destination course

> >

> > Thank you for the info that Falls Village is on the rebound. I haven't been there since last spring when I had never been so disappointed in a course's conditions. It's only about 20 minutes away so I guess I'll have to give them another try...

>

> Grabbed a Hot Deal and played Falls Village today. Greens are rolling nicely, the tee boxes are fairly level and have grass growing on them and the fairways are improved greatly. I will put this back into the rotation and look forward to playing it again. As Phil said it's not a destination course but at least it is now playable. Previously it was a complete mess!

Hit me up next time!

I’ll add that Hedingham is also on the rebound this year. They have new Bermuda greens that in my opinion were in the best condition in the area this summer (except for one hole). They also have grass on all the fairways now. Again, not a destination course, but a good opinion for $40 on the weekends and $20 or less through a Hot Deal during the week.

• 2 weeks later...

Played Tobacco Rd on Saturday Nov 2nd and Sunday Nov 3rd. All I can say is WOW! Course was in fantastic shape and the weather was perfect. The greens were the fastest I have ever putted on and fortunately for me I didnt fall victim to the green at #16. The first day the pin was on the upper level and one one the guys we were playing with hit his first putt a little too firm and it rolled off the upper tier , down the slope onto the lower tier and then down 40 feet into the valley below. The second day the pin was on the lower tier and the same thing happened to another guy whose approach landed on the upper tier. The two guys we played with on Sunday had caddies and they said their advice would be to putt the ball off the left side of the green into a gulley that ran the length on the green. From there pitch to the pin on the lower level. This course is definitely more about accuracy than it is about distance. Even on Sunday I had to keep reminding myself "you can ground the club in the waste area and take practice swings and make contact wth the sand". We will definitely be back! Forgot to mention this, my son's fitbit showed we walked over 11,000 steps ea day and we played from the disc tees so it was a good workout as well. This was the first time playing here so I am not sure if these were normal times for a round of golf: Saturday 12 noon , cart path only holes 3, 13 and 16 ~ 5 hrs. Sunday 9:30 AM no cart restrictions ~5 1/2 hrs.

• 1 month later...