Tempest, Pine Dunes, and Links at Lands End

Maroon_19

Looking for any information on conditions for Tempest in Gladewater,, Pine Dunes, and Links at Lands End in Yantis. A group of us are heading east to play some weekend golf this weekend. Thanks for any info you can share.

"Obviously you're not a golfer." ~ The Dude
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight." ~ Ben Hogan

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Wedges:  Artisan 50*, 54*, 58* - DG300S

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

Ball:         Titleist Pro V1 | Bridgestone Tour B X

Tempest is my home course. Its in really good condition. The greens are nothing less than outstanding. You just cant go wrong.... you might wanna bring your own bunker rake tho. COVID has them in quarantine. ----- Just as a tidbit, Sam Burns and David Toms played there on Monday last week. They shot a sickening 66 and 67 from the Blue Tees. Sam Burns can flat out Kill a driver... anyways.....

I havent been to Pine Dunes since March, but it was pretty daggone good then. Hard for me to imagine Pine Dunes as being less than awesome, as usual. Maybe someone else will chime in with a more recent update.

If I could make a suggestion - consider playing Oak Hurst in Bullard (about 10 miles south of Tyler). Its not a very long. The fairways are not too tight and not too wide. Instead of distance, this place will seriously challenge your accuracy skills on approach shots into the greens, which are pretty small for the most part. And if you miss, your short game also be challenged as almost all of the greens are elevated and well protected. You need a decent flop shot in your bag of tricks to avoid double bogeys. Its in outstanding (lush) condition. Water in play on 11 of the 18 holes and some nice elevation changes to boot. Very fun and has become my No 2 course in East Texas following Tempest.

I havent been to Lands End in years

• Like 1

Thank you! Will bring up Oak Hurst to the guys.

"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

I might suggest playing oak hurst before committing to a trip there.

Pine Dunes is always good to go, along with having on site lodging.

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood (more shafts need testing)
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk

72 holes in 3 days.

Friday - 18 at Tempest - Course was in great condition other than the tee boxes. Tee boxes were hard as stone. Needed a hammer to drive a tee into the ground. Fairways were good to great. Greens were pretty darn good and rolled true. There is not a single flat lie on the course. I thought it was a fun course.

Saturday - 36 at Pine Dunes - Fairways and greens are great. Don't miss them. Best greens I've played this year, and the first round Saturday was my 50th round of the year. Carts do not have GPS. Luckily I had my Grint app with me for a GPS view of the holes. I had never played Pine Dunes before and not knowing where to hit the ball out there makes it a difficult first time around. Played much better the second round.

Sunday - 18 at Links at Lands End - The only course I had played before. I think Links is overpriced at $95 for sure. It's a $65-$70 course at best. Fairways were pretty thin compared to the other two courses. Greens were in great shape tho and rolled really good. Sunday was a little windy so out on the point the wind feels like it is blowing 40.

Had a good time with good friends. Have been playing golf with these guys for over two decades now.

img-0285.jpg

• Like 1

." ~ Ferris Bueller

Sometimes I'm flabbergasted about some of the negative reviews. But as with everything no matter what it is there are gonna be grumblers.

Perhaps the Marsahll got onto them for some reason? Perhaps their expectations are it will be manicured as if ready for a Tour event? Maybe the course is just too hard for their skill level and they don't enjoy it?

I don't know but it makes no sense when PGA Tour pros give both a thumbs up. Form your own opinion from that i suppose. IMO you just cannot go wrong with either Pine Dunes or Tempest.

As for me, I give negative reviews of ranked courses absolutely zero credit.

• 2 months later...
On 7/6/2020 at 9:20 AM, CougarRed said:

Is Pinnacle (Athens) in the same league with Tempest?

no. Pinnacle is usually in decent shape. Greens usually run pretty quick. Course is tight, and has some challenging holes. Very annoying in the winter/fall though with leaves on the ground everywhere. It is a good $50 course though.

• 2 months later...

Just an update. I played pine dunes on monday and once again it was in great shape. 

• Like 3

Ping G425 LST 9.5 AD-DI 6S
SIM TI 19* Ventus Blue 8X

Stealth 2 7 wood (more shafts need testing)
Srixon 585 4 Nippon Modus 3 120S
Srixon 745 5,6 Nippon Modus 3 120S

Srixon 785 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 120S
Titleist SM8 50,54,60 S200
TM Spider X Chalk

• 8 months later...

Finally made it out to Pine Dunes today and as expected it was great.  Super lush fairways and long rough.  The greens rolled great and nice speed nothing too fast as you could tell they punched them maybe 2-3 weeks ago so still some sand on them.   The only complaint I have is they had a bunch of buddy groups out there taking forever with no marshal checking on them.  I guess you need to get out there early or wait until they are all on the back nice to tee off.  

• Like 3

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, cjblake09 said:

We have a buddies trip set up for in a couple of weeks and have only played there and not stayed.  Are they strict on what you can bring with you beverage wise?  I know the grill closes early 7-8ish so i would hope not but wanted to check. 

If you are talking about what beverages you can bring on course at Pine Dunes, I can only tell you that the starter/marshal went through all of our personal coolers when we started.  I didn't have any beer/alcohol, but was loaded up with water and Gatorade.  He tried to tell me I couldn't even bring the Gatorade.  I told him to pound sand.  It was HOT, we planned on 36, and I was taking it.  Talked to the dude in the clubhouse and he had no issues.  Could have been a Mayberry/Barney Fife thing.  Not sure.  My guess is they would frown on alcohol.

." ~ Ferris Bueller

49 minutes ago, Maroon_19 said:

If you are talking about what beverages you can bring on course at Pine Dunes, I can only tell you that the starter/marshal went through all of our personal coolers when we started.  I didn't have any beer/alcohol, but was loaded up with water and Gatorade.  He tried to tell me I couldn't even bring the Gatorade.  I told him to pound sand.  It was HOT, we planned on 36, and I was taking it.  Talked to the dude in the clubhouse and he had no issues.  Could have been a Mayberry/Barney Fife thing.  Not sure.  My guess is they would frown on alcohol.

I was really referring to after the rounds.  I heard back and they are fine with personal food/drinks in and around the cabins just not on the course which is perfect.  

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...