taylormade penta or titleist pro V1?

golf playa

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[size=2][size=2]I usually play V1 half the year and X the other half (when it is warmer)

I found the Penta to be the best feeling off wedges and putter.[/size]
A tad longer but a tad wider too.
Spin on the greens seemed the same
I didnt really shred them any worse[/size]

Epic Project X LZ 6.0
Epic 15* Project X LZ 6.0
19* and 23* Titleist 916H2
2018 X-Forged Proj X 5-P
MD3 50, 54, 58
PXG Dagger

Distance: About the same

Spin: off driver it seems much lower launching/low spinning, around the green i'm finding they're definitely spinning more... a lot of stopping power in them.

Feel: Second to none around the green, pretty comparable to the v1 everywhere else

Durability: Could have played the ball for two rounds if I didn't put one in the trees. Very very impressed with the durability of the cover, key like any ball is to shine it up between holes to prevent any dirt from becoming caked on.

Another thing often overlooked is the markings on the ball... TaylorMade has kept them very low profile, even making the font a bit smaller for their name. The alignment aid is the nicest because it is very non-descript- you notice it when you're lining up your putt, but its small enough to be less distracting than the Arrow line on the prov1 when you're set up.

The Penta is definitely my gamer this year. Hands down the best feeling ball and most durable that I've found on the market. Just another product that TaylorMade is the number one brand in golf... cool.gif

I like the Penta over the ProV1, but I game the Maxfli Tour ball. If you havent tried the Maxfli, try it out! Great ball and IMO beats the other two as it is longer, straighter and has as much greenside spin and feels super soft off the putter.

AI Smoke TD xCaliber
AI Smoke 3w Ventus Red
AI Smoke 5w Ventus Red

Stealth 2 (3 & 4)Hybrid Ventus Red TR 

i530 Dynamic Gold Mid

RTX6 54/58 DG Spinner

Odyssey AI-One Jailbird Mini

Callaway Chrome Tour

I guess myself and everyone I play golf with are the exception. I found it to be an OK ball, very durable, but does NOT spin around the greens. I'm talking 30 yards and in, it's the most inconsistent ball I've ever played. And my favorite ball of all time is the TP Red LDP, which I'm still playing as I went back to it after the Penta bombed. Several people I play with have all said the exact same thing, no spin around the greens, without a single exception.

PENTA! Not even close in my book. The Penta has great spin around the green and especially around the 30 yard mark where I find the Pro V1 very lacking. Love the feel off the putter and wedges. Did I mention you can spin the wedges! What I find is great about this ball is that it almost always knows how much to spin. I have yet to spin one off the front of the greens but I can finally count on a hop hop stop shot. Never knew what I was getting out of the Pro V1. Feels good off the driver and long irons and I don't feel it spins to much. If the Penta was not so much $ I would be playing it without question. Need to have the same deal they do with the TP series 2 for $55 and they would dominate the market. For now I will sitck to the ONE Tour. All balls costing the same I would play the Penta hands down.

Penta for me. The only deciding factor for me was the durability. Like someone mentioned above I can play one for 1.5 rounds if I want. Also, the markings are pleasing to the eye like tmagman mentioned. Same distance and maybe just a little bit more spinning/ stopping power but nothing to noticeble.

I, like many of you, bought in to Taylormade's marketing and bought a dozen of the Penta Tp ball. First of all, IT HAS A MONSTROUS SEAM! One reason I love the Pro V1 is the staggered parting line that almost eliminates the seam. The seam on the Penta is just ghastly, not to mention inconsistent. The spin on wedge shots is lacking, which is odd for how soft the ball is. The Penta is a good ball, just doesn't live up to all the hype. This ball is all HYPE!

[quote name='68PING' date='29 April 2010 - 04:49 PM' timestamp='1272574192' post='2408621']
I, like many of you, bought in to Taylormade's marketing and bought a dozen of the Penta Tp ball. First of all, IT HAS A MONSTROUS SEAM! One reason I love the Pro V1 is the staggered parting line that almost eliminates the seam. The seam on the Penta is just ghastly, not to mention inconsistent. The spin on wedge shots is lacking, which is odd for how soft the ball is. The Penta is a good ball, just doesn't live up to all the hype. This ball is all HYPE!
[/quote]

I guess golf balls are like cars... Different strokes for different folks. If we all liked the same thing only one company would make cars and perhaps the same company would make golf balls.

No hype here; for me the Penta is the best performing ball for MY GAME... hands down!

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

[quote name='golf playa' date='23 April 2010 - 11:21 PM' timestamp='1272079283' post='2397497']
I'm choosing between the two and they just seem so similar to me. the spin felt the same, yardage was similar, and the feel was different, but both good. so i just want some other opinions. what do you think about these two.
consider:
distance
spin
feel
durability
[/quote]
Both those balls are pretty good, but they pale in an overall comparison to the Wilson FG Tour. Give them an honest look.

Just played Aston Oaks (OH) a couple days ago. Played with the TM Penta on the front nine. Had about a 40 yard lob wedge to a tighter front pin location. The ball hopped twice and stopped on the second bounce. I thought that I had hit a good shot but was not impressed with the outcome I thought that I had put more spin on it. I pulled out a Pro V1 and dit it and got the same results with more roll out. The Pro V1 was about 5 feet further away. Reminds me of why I switched from the Pro V1 in the first place. I have 3 Pro V1's and 2 X's left and when they are gone it will be the first time since I was in HS that Titleist has not been a staple in my bag. Hope that they come out with a better ball on the next cycle but till then I will not be buying another Pro V1.

Might not be warm enough yet to get the full benefit of the Penta but I used for one for 10 holes this morning and swapped it for a Z-Star X. The Penta is great around the greens for pitching and chipping but I could not get any distance control with the putter and it was hard to get the ball onto a high trajectory. It is OK as a ball but will not be replacing Srixon and Titleist as my ammo of choice. This sentiment is the dame for some of my other v low hcp friends, good but nothing better than the opposition.