2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Bandon: Stay at the Inn or in town

JMO TO

[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1392325093' post='8661715']
I just got back yesterday and would stay on site again in a heartbeat. Rooms are everything you need for a golfer, food is very good and reasonably priced and the service is excellent. Sadly, I got rained out day two, but the 36 on a perfect Tuesday was enough to make the trip worth it.
[/quote]

What time were your tee times for 36 holes?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='oregongolf' timestamp='1392330944' post='8662513']
[/quote]

I was booked at 8:10 am (second out) and 1:10 pm. I played as a single in the morning and after letting the grounds crew get caught up, played through the first group on 7. Played in just over 3 hours. Since I didn't feel like waiting around, they moved me up to 11:45 am for the second round.

In talking with my caddie, he didn't think there would have been much of an issue getting finished had we actually waited until 1:10 pm. Playing as a foursome in the afternoon we finished in about 4 hr 20 min. They will always allow 5 hours between bookings. 4 1/2 for the round and 1/2 hr to get to the other course.

My first & only trip I stayed on the property,it was awesome but pricey as I was by myself.I guess it depends on your budget..if you can afford to stay on the property then no question...do it.I might stay in town next time and play 4 days rather than 3.

Either way..its an awesome experience.

TM R1 Tp
Miura CB501's W/recoil proto's
Miura 52,56,60
Machine Damascus Steel

[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1392333626' post='8662845']
[/quote]

I was booked at 8:10 am (second out) and 1:10 pm. I played as a single in the morning and after letting the grounds crew get caught up, played through the first group on 7. Played in just over 3 hours. Since I didn't feel like waiting around, they moved me up to 11:45 am for the second round.

In talking with my caddie, he didn't think there would have been much of an issue getting finished had we actually waited until 1:10 pm. Playing as a foursome in the afternoon we finished in about 4 hr 20 min. They will always allow 5 hours between bookings. 4 1/2 for the round and 1/2 hr to get to the other course.
[/quote]

Thanks, I figured you must have been in the first two or three groups. You were cooking though...

I'm taking a group next Feb and I know a few of the guys are going to want to try and squeeze in 36... I've never tried it in February though. Good to know it's at least a possibility. Almost everytime I ask about it, the booking agent tells me it's not possible.

[quote name='oregongolf' timestamp='1392335751' post='8663089']
Thanks, I figured you must have been in the first two or three groups. You were cooking though...

I'm taking a group next Feb and I know a few of the guys are going to want to try and squeeze in 36... I've never tried it in February though. Good to know it's at least a possibility. Almost everytime I ask about it, the booking agent tells me it's not possible.
[/quote]

Fwiw, the guys that I played with for my second round played 34 holes the day before, but had tee'd off later than I did. Tee times at this time of year are fairly accessible, relative to other times of year apparently. I only booked a week out and had the second time of the day all to myself.

On a side note, that was some interesting weather yesterday. 30-50 mph winds with rain coming sideways...lol. Just not something I ever see...and I know that isn't even near the worst of it...haha.

[quote name='oregongolf' timestamp='1392335751' post='8663089']
[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1392333626' post='8662845']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It seems mid Feb is when 36 starts to become a lot easier. I had tee times of 7:30am / 12:30pm on Saturday and 7:50am / 1pm Sunday without issue. I only booked about 2 weeks out, but I was playing as a single. The courses on Sunday were packed (amazingly perfect weather), but I spoke to some guys who teed off at 2:10pm Sunday and still managed to finish just as it got dark. I think they pushed the first tee time back to 7:30am just this weekend.

Weather on Saturday was something else. The day started with 30mph wind and rain in the morning, steadily increasing and peaking with gusts of 75mph and heavy rain just as I landed on the elevated and exposed 14th tee on Trails. Of course I walked up 18 just as the blue sky and sun was breaking out.

Rogue ST Max LS 9, HZRDUS Black 75 6.0 | Mavrik SZ 15, Evenflow White 75 6.0

P790 UDI, HZRDUS Smoke 90 6.0 | X-Blade 909 4-P, Pro 95i Tour S

Miura 54 Tour, 60K, Modus3 125 W | BB8 DASS

Heading to Bandon on Monday, staying in the Lily Pond rooms. Playing Chambers Bay on Sunday. Thanks again to everyone for all of their advice!

SIM w Ventus Black 6x

G410LST 3w w THUMP 70x

G410 2H w Thump 80x
TM P790 4-P w X100TI
Cleveland Zipcore 50*Mid & 54*Mid

TM Hi-Toe 60*

Odyssey O-Works Black #1

[quote name='JMO TO' timestamp='1392735389' post='8693491']
Heading to Bandon on Monday, staying in the Lily Pond rooms. Playing Chambers Bay on Sunday. Thanks again to everyone for all of their advice!
[/quote]

Give us a report when you get back. Real interested on your thoughts. 20 of us are heading out to Bandon in 3 weeks and we're staying in the Chrome Lake lodges. We were thinking about hitting up Chambers Bay - but that might be better planned for next year.

[quote name='dntrs4' timestamp='1392743637' post='8694459']
[quote name='JMO TO' timestamp='1392735389' post='8693491']
[/quote]

Give us a report when you get back. Real interested on your thoughts. 20 of us are heading out to Bandon in 3 weeks and we're staying in the Chrome Lake lodges. We were thinking about hitting up Chambers Bay - but that might be better planned for next year.
[/quote]

I know it wasn't addressed to me, but I can pretty much give you the consensus opinion on Chambers.

If it's too far out of your way and you don't have that itch to play a US Open course (I definitely wouldn't call it a bucket-list type course or put it above any of the Bandon courses), you might pass.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great course and a nice addition to have here in the NW, but if I lived in another part of the country I wouldn't hesitate to travel to Bandon to play. I don't think I could say the same about Chambers.

I will be driving down from Port Angeles (after taking the ferry from Victoria, B.C.) so Chambers is sort of on the way. We played it twice last year and both loved it. I would agree that unless you're in the area, it's not a must play, but if you can make it work, its a very interesting track.

I am very excited to see how it holds up to US Open competition (and crowds).

SIM w Ventus Black 6x

G410LST 3w w THUMP 70x

G410 2H w Thump 80x
TM P790 4-P w X100TI
Cleveland Zipcore 50*Mid & 54*Mid

TM Hi-Toe 60*

Odyssey O-Works Black #1

[quote name='JMO TO' timestamp='1392823667' post='8701477']
I will be driving down from Port Angeles (after taking the ferry from Victoria, B.C.) so Chambers is sort of on the way. We played it twice last year and both loved it. I would agree that unless you're in the area, it's not a must play, but if you can make it work, its a very interesting track.

I am very excited to see how it holds up to US Open competition (and crowds).
[/quote]

No question then, if it's on the way, I would play it.

I think the course gets better each time you get to play there... it has some weird quirks and there are some tee lines you wouldn't think about if you hadn't played in more than a handful of times.

Leaving for Bandon next Wednesday 2/26 for 5 days. Sheep Ranch on Thursday & 36 Fri-Sun, 18 on Mon. This will be my 11th year with a group of 36 guys from Northern California and the Northwest that have been making an annual trip for 13 years. Lodging on site is the way to go, not much happening in town and food at the resort is better. For the last 3 years our foursome has rented a house just off site and it's been nice to have the kitchen and laundry.

For those that have been recently, I'm interested in how Bandon Trails plays with the updates on 2, & 14-18?

TM 2020 SIM, Aldila Rogue Silver 60 r
TM 2020 SIM 3w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM 2021 SIM2 5w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM M4 5-PW, TT XP95 S300 
TM EF 47* 52* & 56*, KBS  610, XFT 60*, KBS Hi Rev
TM CB Spider Mallet 

Also headed down on Monday. Playing Sandpines on Monday then the next 3 days at Bandon. Can't wait!!

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

[quote name='Swingem' timestamp='1392829414' post='8702211']
For those that have been recently, I'm interested in how Bandon Trails plays with the updates on 2, & 14-18?
[/quote]

Played Trails last Tuesday. I loved the course and my caddie pointed out some of the changes that it had undergone. 2 seemed pretty straight forward, so I'm not sure what changes they made. He asserted that 14 remains the worst hole out of the entire group of courses. Plays almost unfairly hard if you're not on the top, left part of the fairway to the smallest green out there. 16 is brilliant imo. 18 plays much differently now from what he showed me. Amazing that the moved the green complex so far and yet you'd never know it.

Have fun!

[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1392855290' post='8704935']
[quote name='Swingem' timestamp='1392829414' post='8702211']
[/quote]

Played Trails last Tuesday. I loved the course and my caddie pointed out some of the changes that it had undergone. 2 seemed pretty straight forward, so I'm not sure what changes they made. He asserted that 14 remains the worst hole out of the entire group of courses. Plays almost unfairly hard if you're not on the top, left part of the fairway to the smallest green out there. 16 is brilliant imo. 18 plays much differently now from what he showed me. Amazing that the moved the green complex so far and yet you'd never know it.

Have fun!
[/quote]

I've only played Trails once (2nd round is 25 days :-) ) and I've heard all the scorn heaped upon this hole at Bandon Trails and, I must admit, I don't get it. To my eye, it's nearly a mirror image of #6 on Pacific Dunes, which is a hole I love - the shots required are very similar: hit the right line with your drive and have a moderately difficult (but short) approach - miss your line, and have a relatively short but VERY difficult approach. While I don't think BT #14 has the beauty or the architectural points that make PD #6 so spectacular, I don't think it's so very different that it deserves to be reviled.

None of the above is aimed at you specifically - just voicing my dissenting opinion.

[quote name='Chris_NH' timestamp='1392857374' post='8705175']
I've only played Trails once (2nd round is 25 days :-) ) and I've heard all the scorn heaped upon this hole at Bandon Trails and, I must admit, I don't get it. To my eye, it's nearly a mirror image of #6 on Pacific Dunes, which is a hole I love - the shots required are very similar: hit the right line with your drive and have a moderately difficult (but short) approach - miss your line, and have a relatively short but VERY difficult approach. While I don't think BT #14 has the beauty or the architectural points that make PD #6 so spectacular, I don't think it's so very different that it deserves to be reviled.

None of the above is aimed at you specifically - just voicing my dissenting opinion.
[/quote]

All good. Appreciate your perspective as this was the first time that I played it (had only played PD previously). I've attached my pic so others can see what we're discussing. Green size might make them slightly similar but the penalty for a drive that is missed by only a yard or two is severe, imo. If you land anywhere close to where the left edge of the W watermark you're sol.

Visually, it's a stunning tee shot. The margin for error is extremely small though. Apparently, according to my caddie, when Trails hosted the US Public Links, #14 played as [b]the[/b] most difficult hole for the practice round and the third most difficult overall for the tournament. The fact that it is the number 14 ranked handicap hole makes it a bit much. Considering that the green hardly holds, the angle you're coming in at, and it is the smallest target on the course, numbers can add up quickly.

I missed my drive, barely, and watched it trickle right a yard...and then another...and then all the way down and backwards to the bottom. I fluked my way close with a lob wedge, but it was probably blind luck due to not knowing how precise the shot had to be. Literally 6 inches shorter and I'm in that front bunker that is no picnic, a foot further and I'm off the back chipping.

My caddie suggested that in order to make the hole more playable, the green complex would have to extend much further left, basically filling the collection area left of the green, to make it receptive to approaches coming from the bottom level. I would tend to agree with him.

Personally, I don't think there is a bad hole out there...anywhere. It is [b]the[/b] golfers paradise, imho.

Good comments. As I said, I've only played it once, and I happened to hit a drive left that held there, so maybe I'm too generous towards this hole (I bogied it anyway, despite the good position off the tee). I'm going to pay attention to these two holes next trip - because I recall that approach at PD#6 as the most ticklish one I remember. It will be interesting next time to see if my recollection is accurate.

Thanks for the update, I always look forward to playing Trails. Personally I never thought it needed a face-lift.

Though I never thought about it, I agree with the comparison to #6 on Pacific. Get in the wrong place off the tee and you'll feel like your chances of making par just stepped off the curb into heavy traffic.

When trails first opened, 14 was a card-carrying bad-a**. Imagine 6 less feet of green on the left side, that was added about 4 yrs ago. If you were in the upper fairway you could bump a hybrid up onto the green and make par and move on feeling like you got away with something. If you were in the lower fairway, you had zero chance of holding the green.

Just like #6 on Pacific, I've seen guys go back-and-forth over those greens with smoke coming out their ears (I've been that guy a couple times). If your in the wrong place off the tee, the second shot needs to be to get back into position.

TM 2020 SIM, Aldila Rogue Silver 60 r
TM 2020 SIM 3w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM 2021 SIM2 5w, Aldila Rogue Black 80 r 
TM M4 5-PW, TT XP95 S300 
TM EF 47* 52* & 56*, KBS  610, XFT 60*, KBS Hi Rev
TM CB Spider Mallet 

personally, I love Trails #14, as well as Pacific #6 & #16, just because they are non-traditional very short par 4s. I haven't parred #16 in years, but it's always fun to try.

(I also enjoyed #10 at Riviera, which unlike the Bandon short par 4s, is on a flat, undistinguished part of the course, yet because of the brilliance of the architect is a devilishly tough 300+ yard hole. Even for the pros.)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='ryu123' timestamp='1392909347' post='8708509']
personally, I love Trails #14, as well as Pacific #6 & #16, just because they are non-traditional very short par 4s. I haven't parred #16 in years, but it's always fun to try.

(I also enjoyed #10 at Riviera, which unlike the Bandon short par 4s, is on a flat, undistinguished part of the course, yet because of the brilliance of the architect is a devilishly tough 300+ yard hole. Even for the pros.)
[/quote]

#8 at Trails is another great short par 4. It's not as difficult but it's a gorgeous hole that's fairly easy if played correctly depending on the pin placement. #16 at Pac is just a tough hole. I don't think there is a remotely flat lie anywhere in the fairway haha. The approach shot (with the tail wind) is tough with the two traps behind the green that leave you a difficult bunker shot to the downslope on the green and as you know, at risk of going down the false front.. If you have a poor tee shot or just a bad break in the fairway its probably best played to the front left corner of the green and lag one high up down the left to right break for a front or middle pin.

Let's talk about some long par 4's. Ever play #4 and #10 at Old Macdonald into the south wind? :p

[quote name='mringwelski' timestamp='1396367696' post='8994567']
Let's talk about some long par 4's. Ever play #4 and #10 at Old Macdonald into the south wind? :p
[/quote]

Yes. Twice this trip just completed a couple of weeks ago. I remember #4 much better for some reason (perhaps because #10 is just the impediment to me getting to one of my favorite holes - The Road Hole #11). But #4 is clearly a par 5 into a south wind - no other way to gameplan it.

#10 has the 3 bunkers in the middle of the fairway with the giving you the 2 gaps to put your tee shot. Huge false front green that is actually connected to the #5 green making it one of the largest greens in the world (fun fact). I personally think the toughest stretch of holes in #10,#11,#12 at Old Mac with #12 Redan hole being one of the toughest par 3's on the property with the prevailing north wind. #4 Hogsback to me is an easier hole as long as you keep your tee shot left. No doubt that the second shot is a monster but it doesn't have the steep false front that #10 has. It's hard to see how much room you really have on the left side of the fairway, you just have to trust your caddy :)

[quote name='mringwelski' timestamp='1396370027' post='8994969']
#10 has the 3 bunkers in the middle of the fairway with the giving you the 2 gaps to put your tee shot. Huge false front green that is actually connected to the #5 green making it one of the largest greens in the world (fun fact). I personally think the toughest stretch of holes in #10,#11,#12 at Old Mac with #12 Redan hole being one of the toughest par 3's on the property with the prevailing north wind. #4 Hogsback to me is an easier hole as long as you keep your tee shot left. No doubt that the second shot is a monster but it doesn't have the steep false front that #10 has. It's hard to see how much room you really have on the left side of the fairway, you just have to trust your caddy :)
[/quote]

I remember it now. In fact, this was the hole (first round out this year) that cemented for me the fact that my short game was still very rusty - I skulled a 60-yard pitch over the green into that area that's sand/junk behind the green. Took a big number.

I think hogback always strikes me as tougher because my primary ball flight is a fade and when I don't hit it properly, it can turn into a hard fade. It's worse into the wind, and the shape of the fairway on hogback means I end up down in the collection area or rough a fair amount. I do recall hammering a drive left on my first round there - a perfect drive for me - and still had zero hope of getting home.

Have you been back since the time you were there as a caddie?

[quote name='Chris_NH' timestamp='1396436243' post='9001357']
[quote name='mringwelski' timestamp='1396370027' post='8994969']
[/quote]

I remember it now. In fact, this was the hole (first round out this year) that cemented for me the fact that my short game was still very rusty - I skulled a 60-yard pitch over the green into that area that's sand/junk behind the green. Took a big number.

I think hogback always strikes me as tougher because my primary ball flight is a fade and when I don't hit it properly, it can turn into a hard fade. It's worse into the wind, and the shape of the fairway on hogback means I end up down in the collection area or rough a fair amount. I do recall hammering a drive left on my first round there - a perfect drive for me - and still had zero hope of getting home.

Have you been back since the time you were there as a caddie?
[/quote]
Yeah the slice into the wind never goes very far.

Those 60 yard shots are tough with the tight lies and a bump and run up that big false front is difficult to visualize.

I have not been out there since the summer, I've been in Southern California for the winter. I eventually will be making a "boy's trip" with my peeps out back in my old office.