2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Bandon: Stay at the Inn or in town

JMO TO

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='spud3' timestamp='1391142851' post='8569742']
Lodge/Inn, definitely. You get the full experience if you're on site, not to mention tee times.

And waking up and walking right down to breakfast, then to the practice tee is great.
[/quote]

+1 The Inn is great and there is nothing like seeing the coast and course right when you wake up!

Big Bertha 9* Diamana 70S
RBZ Tour 14.5* Diamana Ahina 82 X
Callaway Apex Pro forged 3-PW Rip Tour X
50*,54*,60* Callaway Forged Copper Wedge
Scotty Futura X Dual Balance

We went into town one night for dinner - I think we got in there about 7:30-8pm on Saturday night - there were a few restaurants open, and that was it - many (including the place we had intended to eat) were closed. This was very late March - I would think it might be different depending upon the time of year.

But stay onsite. It's a great facility, you can soak in the entire Bandon experience, and you'll eliminate some hectic-ness from the trip.

Resort guests get a discount on green fees depending on the time of the year. $295 peak season for golf-only guests. Good luck finding anything on the internet about businesses in Bandon.(its like jumping back to 1998) Bandon Bills, Lord Bennett's, and Alloro's(open seasonally) are the good restaurants in town. Whatever you do...DO NOT GO TO THE DAIRY QUEEN, my god it is absolutely terrible. For sight seeing check out Beachloop Rd. and just take a drive down and stop at the waysides and you'll see some spectacular views of the Pacific. I lived in Bandon during the peak season and was glad to leave in November. I loved the resort, hated the town.

Stay at the resort and enjoy the golf junkie paradise. Why?

Mckee's Pub
The Gallery
Pacific Grill
Trails End
The Punchbowl
Shorty's
World Class Practice Facility
Bunker Bar
Four of the Top 100 you can play
The Preserve

There's a reason why its considered one of the best resorts in North America.

From everyone I have talked to, staying on property is the way to go.

I don't mean to thread-jack, but I have a question regarding staying at The Inn. Are rooms with two beds double-occupancy ONLY, or can we have 3 guys stay in one room and still all be considered resort guests for purposes of tee times/rates?

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

[quote name='QMany' timestamp='1391183703' post='8571482']
From everyone I have talked to, staying on property is the way to go.

I don't mean to thread-jack, but I have a question regarding staying at The Inn. Are rooms with two beds double-occupancy ONLY, or can we have 3 guys stay in one room and still all be considered resort guests for purposes of tee times/rates?
[/quote]

You can have up to four people per room. I have two tee times reserved for December, and only needed to reserve two rooms, under the assumption that up to four golfers/room.

To the OP, I would stay on property, and then visit town if you find/hear of something you want to check out. Best tee times and the full experience of the property makes it worth any additional expense.

G430 LST 9
G410 14.5
G410 19, 22
245, 5-gw
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
LAB Mezz Max

My wife and I stayed at Chrome Lake on my one and only visit. Was excellent and the property is just surreal for pure golf.

Also not to thread jack....but....what kind of shape is it in at this time of year? I know the risk with weather, and am prepared for anything, but is there [b]any[/b] reason to reconsider a trip next week in regards to course conditions?

Either way is good.

The first five trips we stayed onsite in the Lodge, with no need for a rental car since there are two shuttles from the airport.

The last four we've stayed in town at a rental suite with a kitchen, because eating too much restaurant food wasn't healthy. (Also it's a little monotonous being surrounded by middle aged guys in golf caps talking a bit too loudly about their great shots.) We needed a rental car and paid a bit more for greens fees, but being able to decompress away from the resort is also nice.

Depends on what you want.

As for conditions, I've always gone (except for the first trip in June 2001) in winter. In early December 2013 the fairways at Pacific and Old Macdonald were firm and fast. The greens were good. Even Pacific's tee boxes, which in past years have been a little bruised, were fine.

(To give some perspective to Pacific northwest golfers used to soggy winter conditions: sometimes in November & December the Bandon sprinklers were going to keep the fairways from getting too dry.)

[quote name='ryu123' timestamp='1391267467' post='8577526']
Either way is good.

The first five trips we stayed onsite in the Lodge, with no need for a rental car since [size=5]there are two shuttles from the airport[/size].

(To give some perspective to Pacific northwest golfers used to soggy winter conditions: sometimes in November & December the Bandon sprinklers were going to keep the fairways from getting too dry.)
[/quote]

What airport is that?

Thanks everyone for the great responses. This is the most consensus that I've ever seen on the WRX!

I was supposed to fly out west on Monday to Victoria, B.C. and drive down with my uncle, but we've been postponed by a weather system! :russian_roulette:

Hopefully I'll be there within the next month. On another note, should I take my 5 wood or 3-iron?

SIM w Ventus Black 6x

G410LST 3w w THUMP 70x

G410 2H w Thump 80x
TM P790 4-P w X100TI
Cleveland Zipcore 50*Mid & 54*Mid

TM Hi-Toe 60*

Odyssey O-Works Black #1

[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1391217784' post='8575030']
My wife and I stayed at Chrome Lake on my one and only visit. Was excellent and the property is just surreal for pure golf.

Also not to thread jack....but....what kind of shape is it in at this time of year? I know the risk with weather, and am prepared for anything, but is there [b]any[/b] reason to reconsider a trip next week in regards to course conditions?
[/quote]

Since we're going through a drought and, believe it or not, are in fire danger conditions, I'd have to say the conditions should be pretty good for golf.

[quote name='JMO TO' timestamp='1391276285' post='8578206']
Thanks everyone for the great responses. This is the most consensus that I've ever seen on the WRX!

I was supposed to fly out west on Monday to Victoria, B.C. and drive down with my uncle, but we've been postponed by a weather system! :russian_roulette:

Hopefully I'll be there within the next month. On another note, should I take my 5 wood or 3-iron?
[/quote]

3 iron

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Just got back from a trip Feb 3-5th. Staying on site has it's advantages of convenience. Shuttles run everywhere on the property. You just pick up a phone and ask for a shuttle to pick you up from your room to the restaurants, range, or courses. Staying in town is cheaper if you have a large group to justify it. One of our players told us on a previous trip he stayed in a property in the town of Bandon but it was a large group w/ kids and wives etc.

If it's a small group it makes it a lot easier to stay onsite. We had 8 players pkg'd up with 2 nights at Lily Pond and 2 rnds w/ 2 breakfast's and 1 dinner for $465. Went to McKee's Pub for one of the nights. Burgers run $9 and Fish/Chips run $17. The quality of the dining options and food is amazing. The Gallery is where we used the free dinner (rib eye steak) and breakfast coupons. Gratuity was included in all the comp'd meals.

We went into town 1 night to Bandon to hit up the grocery store for beer and fried chicken. Not really much there. I wouldn't advise eating in town unless money was tight. There are plenty of decently priced ($10-$20) options onsite at Bandon.

TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='bpark1210' timestamp='1391795338' post='8617033']
Just got back from a trip Feb 3-5th. Staying on site has it's advantages of convenience. Shuttles run everywhere on the property. You just pick up a phone and ask for a shuttle to pick you up from your room to the restaurants, range, or courses. Staying in town is cheaper if you have a large group to justify it. One of our players told us on a previous trip he stayed in a property in the town of Bandon but it was a large group w/ kids and wives etc.

If it's a small group it makes it a lot easier to stay onsite. We had 8 players pkg'd up with 2 nights at Lily Pond and 2 rnds w/ 2 breakfast's and 1 dinner for $465. Went to McKee's Pub for one of the nights. Burgers run $9 and Fish/Chips run $17. The quality of the dining options and food is amazing. The Gallery is where we used the free dinner (rib eye steak) and breakfast coupons. Gratuity was included in all the comp'd meals.

We went into town 1 night to Bandon to hit up the grocery store for beer and fried chicken. Not really much there. I wouldn't advise eating in town unless money was tight. There are plenty of decently priced ($10-$20) options onsite at Bandon.
[/quote]Just curious, I was at Bandon last week (Tuesday-Wednesday). How did you get a package with dinner/breakfast coupons? Thanks.

In the minority here, but we used vacation rentals by owner. Three guys, found a wonderful house that had EVERY amenity. We only played one round per day so tee times were not an issue in October. Have a great time.

Ping G430 10K w/ Chrome Tour 2.0
Ping G430 3W  

Ping G410 3H, 4H

Ping i525 6-PW Project X IO
Cleveland CBX 2 48*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56*
LAB Mezz Max 

Alphard V2 wheels

[quote name='cfmgolf' timestamp='1391909254' post='8626341']
In the minority here, but we used vacation rentals by owner. Three guys, found a wonderful house that had EVERY amenity. We only played one round per day so tee times were not an issue in October. Have a great time.
[/quote]

This is a good way to do it if you have a group. I recommend The Bandon House... A much better value and given the price, every bit as good, minus the proximity.

[quote]Just curious, I was at Bandon last week (Tuesday-Wednesday). How did you get a package with dinner/breakfast coupons? Thanks.
[/quote]

You just call up the reservation line and ask. They pkg'd us up for 2 nights and 2 rounds, we played a third at the resort guest rate. They'll accomodate as long as you have a group. Not sure if there are single pkg's. We had a total of 8 players and 4 rooms for reference.

edit: That was 2 nights, 2 rounds, 1 free dinner voucher at any restaurant for any value, and 2 breakfast bars. All meal tickets have gratuity included but we all ended up tipping feeling bad for the excellent service staff. They prob got upwards of a 50% tip each time they saw us.

TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

Stayed in town one night at the Bandon Inn ($84), two beds. Very nice, clean, great view of the harbor, water, etc. Got in too late on a Sunday for golf, so saved about $150 for lodging only by staying in town. Walked to the restaurant area and found it pretty quiet. Looks like lots of smal shops, businesses, restaurants for daytime use only. Found a fish place on the second floor overlooking water. Nobody around on a Sunday nite; great bartender, server and real good food.

Other two times I've always stayed on the property and wouldn't change that at all. If you are playing, you're staying. Perfect golf amenities.