2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Detroit Area Golfers

BillyZ2

[quote name='68kicks' timestamp='1396298028' post='8989013']
[quote name='nick.woods76' timestamp='1395932344' post='8961619']
moose ridge is the most gimmicky course Ive ever played. Spent last summer in MI. The greens were very difficult as well.
Sheppards Hallow was great. Devils Ridge was well worth the 30 bucks.
Ambassador is Windsor was amazing but $$$.
[/quote]

Wow... I have always thought Moose Ridge was super solid. While I will concede that there are a few holes that are a bit over the top ....
But Devils Ridge is straight tricked up. One of the most target-iey courses I have ever played.

I guess we disagree.
[/quote]I enjoy a course the is unique, and challenging, instead of straight back and forth 'cookie cutter' holes.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='WRXClarky' timestamp='1395952383' post='8963857']
What is The Orchards like? If you had to choose one, Shepherds Hallow or The Orchards? Any comments on both are welcome.
[/quote]

Orchards is top notch. While you don't have the elevation changes like at Shepherd's, there isn't one bad hole on the Orchards. IMO, each 9 at Shepherd's has 1 poorly designed hole. I know the guys by name at the Orchards as well, all good guys, and the course is almost ALWAYS in great shape. Plus they have the best aeration system around, doing 1/2 the green at a time and placing the pin on the good side until it's healed.

The ONLY gripe, and it's a minor one, with Orchards is that all of their par 3s are essentially the same length, probably within 20 yards of each other, every time I play.

Not a fan of Moose Ridge or Devil's ridge.

Other favorites in the area: Pine Trace and Cherry Creek. I don't think there area any bad holes on these courses either. Pine Trace has some of the toughest par 5s you'll ever play, which require a good shot all the way around (esp #16). Good mix of par 3s.

Greystone is OK, but 17 & 18 nearly ruin it for me. "Best finish in Michigan" my azzzz!! 17 is the worst, however. I've had balls land on the left side of the fairway bounce all the way across into the water. Too much luck on that hole.

"Liberty" in Clarkston is a hidden gem. Cheap, walkable. Pretty open on the front, but tough greens. Layout was better on the back 9 before the condos came in and took away 2 holes and the driving range, but still a very fun course.

Got to play Huntmore in Brighton last year, I thought that was fantastic. Wish it was closer to where I live.

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1396447588' post='9002271']
What is The Orchards like? If you had to choose one, Shepherds Hallow or The Orchards? Any comments on both are welcome.
[/quote]

Orchards is top notch. While you don't have the elevation changes like at Shepherd's, there isn't one bad hole on the Orchards. IMO, each 9 at Shepherd's has 1 poorly designed hole. I know the guys by name at the Orchards as well, all good guys, and the course is almost ALWAYS in great shape. Plus they have the best aeration system around, doing 1/2 the green at a time and placing the pin on the good side until it's healed.

The ONLY gripe, and it's a minor one, with Orchards is that all of their par 3s are essentially the same length, probably within 20 yards of each other, every time I play.

Greystone is OK, but 17 & 18 nearly ruin it for me. "Best finish in Michigan" my azzzz!! 17 is the worst, however. I've had balls land on the left side of the fairway bounce all the way across into the water. Too much luck on that hole.
[/quote]

I always feel like the Orchards was destined to be a private course and it just stayed public. It has that private club feel and conditions. Watch for the Lesson on Golf deal.

I'd add 16 to that list at Greystone along w/ 17 & 18 as the most undeserving of any kind of accolades, let alone the "best finishing holes". Maybe they mean they are so bad you'll be happy when you are finished with them :-)

[quote name='Mi-Golfer' timestamp='1396453571' post='9003101']
[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1396447588' post='9002271']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I always feel like the Orchards was destined to be a private course and it just stayed public. It has that private club feel and conditions. Watch for the Lesson on Golf deal.

I'd add 16 to that list at Greystone along w/ 17 & 18 as the most undeserving of any kind of accolades, let alone the "best finishing holes". Maybe they mean they are so bad you'll be happy when you are finished with them :-)
[/quote]Great posts from you guys, good inputs. Greystone is an interesting course, and here is my opinion of 16->18. First off they are very difficult, but I think #16 if a great par 3. I have played some nice shots into that hole, my closest was about 4 feet, but missed the birdie. Like larrybird said, #17 I have put some nice tee shots(not a fader either) on the left side of the fairway and they have rolled into the water. To me, that hole is a little little unfair. Sure, some can draw the ball, but 80% of golfers can't. The 18th is a difficult hole, but I think many golfers hit the wrong club off the tee. Your tee shot needs to stay on the top level, which for me is an easy 3w or a solid 5w.
Another fav of mine is Stoney Creek, I have played that one alot over the last 10 years, as we have had a "set" tee time there every othe saturday morning. I don't think Stoney gets the credit it deserves for the challenge it offers. I had an 83 there last year and I was playing quite well for me. It has a nice natural setting with deer, turkeys, and all the rest out there. One of my fav's = Stoney Creek Metro Park GC.
Thanks for the great posts guys, keep them coming.
Please feel free to give your course evaluation on some of your favorite courses in the greater Detroit area, we all look forward to reading them!
Tom

Liberty is now called "The Fountains". New ownership (5+ years ? ago) really fixed up the course and clubhouse. One of our goto places for a quick Sun. afternoon, reasonably priced nine. Always can get on and the front nine is better than the back.

Shepard's Hollow....really have mixed emotions about this one. The pluses are its a beautiful layout and well maintained, nice clubhouse. The negatives are its to expensive to play with any regularity, never seem to have level lie in the fairway (sometimes significantly) and the greens are "challenging". Very difficult to read and putt, lots of undulations. For some, this may be their preference, I find it wearisome.

Since the big $$$ courses are being covered, I'll stick with the more modestly priced tracts that are my preference. Some of my favorites that we play with some regularity (or when we get coupons and group golfer deals):

Boulder Pointe, Copper Hills, Devil's Ridge and Metamora - Oxford
Indian Springs Metropark G.C. - White Lake. What was mentioned about Stoney Creek holds here as well.
Springfield Oaks - Davisburg. This is my league night course. Also have a fond spot for this place because I worked here one summer (many eons ago) when the county was building it out to the 18 hole configuration.
Dunham Hills and Hartland Glen - Hartland
Brentwood - Commerce. Have a Mon. group that I sometimes join here. Last year at least, could play here dirt cheap. Plus punch card where the sixth round was free.
Mystic Creek - Milford. Especially the Woods and Meadows, not so much the Lakes. Friends who are Milford residents can get us on here inexpensively during the week.
Hunter's Ridge - Howell. Fun, links style course.
Katke-Cousins - O.U. Wife is an alumn, always enjoyed this course but do not play much anymore since they changed up how the alumns have to pay to play (have to purchase a three round "coupon").
Courses that I refuse to play....to much "backyard" golf and overpriced for what they offer...Pine Knob and Captain's Club. Also could add Fieldstone to this because of SLOW play and tee time jamming.

While not in the D area, have to mention Forest Akers West at MSU. There is a foursome of us (we went to college together) that meet at least once a year to play. We have to much fun, golf is secondary. Once tried a golf in the morning and FB in the afternoon daily double. Totally crippled!....could not even think about doing that these days.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='Smish21' timestamp='1396638550' post='9021255']
My home course is Rammler.

My other favorites are Bello Woods and Goldenhawk.

Was suppose to play somewhere tomorrow morning but stupid rain went and screwed that all up. oh well next weekend for sure.
[/quote]Rammler may not be the best kept up course, but it is a good tester. Hole 12 is a tough dog leg par 4, and #17 par 5 has owned me several times. Can't wait to get out there again this summer!

Yeah it's not the best but for me it's a good course to sharpen my skills. Since I've only been playing for a year. I really like par 3 on the 10th hole. I also think number 6 is a good test for the dog leg on the right. We should try to do a Golfwrx out for all is MI guys this summer.

Oh and speaking of 17 my dad has a great story about his buddy getting so pissed at the water. The guy tossed his whole bag in the drink.

[quote name='Smish21' timestamp='1396646030' post='9022191']
Yeah it's not the best but for me it's a good course to sharpen my skills. Since I've only been playing for a year. I really like par 3 on the 10th hole. I also think number 6 is a good test for the dog leg on the right. We should try to do a Golfwrx out for all is MI guys this summer.
[/quote]Good points, and Rammler is not that expensive either, and you can usually sneak out without much notice to the course. I like the idea of a WRX outing to Rammler this summer, we'll have to put out a post when we find out who else might be interested.

Smish, any time you want to join our groups, let me know. I play with regulars each week, then maybe twice a month with a bigger group for small dollar skins (rarely does someone pay > $20)

I like Fieldstone, super challenging, but I understand the occasional slow play issue there. It's much too hard for most golfers. I'm a member at Oakland U (Katke) for the last 8 years. Great course, but it's not managed very well, imo. No spring/fall deals, and guest fees are ridiculous.

Larrybud Thanks man! I appreciate it. I will say I just got out for my first 18 this year at maple lane. I shot 98, I'm happy with that I finished last year shooting 105. So yeah range work and clubs I'm comfortable hitting have made a huge difference.

I actually figured I would shoot much worse. So I've already Hit my goal of breaking 100. Now to do it consistently.

Anyone else able to get out yet and play?

Was suppose to play somewhere tomorrow morning but stupid rain went and screwed that all up. oh well next weekend for sure.
[/quote]

Bello woods, no way always soft ,wet conditions, in the same price range and area, try timberwood, from the back tees a nice test for cheap priced golf

still like Richmond forest, blackheath, twin lakes and copper hills

[quote name='jefftomahawk' timestamp='1396737880' post='9028159']

[/quote]

Bello woods, no way always soft ,wet conditions, in the same price range and area, try timberwood, from the back tees a nice test for cheap priced golf

still like Richmond forest, blackheath, twin lakes and copper hills
[/quote]I have played all those, and several times, good choices !

Interesting to see the divergence of opinion about Moose Ridge. I played it once and liked it. I can't think of many "gimmicky" holes. I suppose you could call classic courses like North Berwick "gimmicky" I'd call them quirky or unusual. I liked number 8 at Moose Ridge with the mound in front of the green. There's a green front mound like that at a hole at Streamsong Red and at Yale (two of my favorite courses). https://www.flickr.c...57631960183204/ Moose Ridge photos

8166442019_bbc2ccaa08_c.jpg Moose Ridge #8 view from behind the green to mound that guards green front.

I'll be back in Detroit in August. I've never played Eagle Eye. What do you all think of it?

Interesting to see the divergence of opinion about Moose Ridge. I played it once and liked it. I can't think of many "gimmicky" holes. I suppose you could call classic courses like North Berwick "gimmicky" I'd call them quirky or unusual. I liked number 8 at Moose Ridge with the mound in front of the green. There's a green front mound like that at a hole at Streamsong Red and at Yale (two of my favorite courses). https://www.flickr.c...57631960183204/ Moose Ridge photos

8166442019_bbc2ccaa08_c.jpg Moose Ridge #8 view from behind the green to mound that guards green front.

I'll be back in Detroit in August. I've never played Eagle Eye. What do you all think of it?

Don't miss it, it's one of the best in Michigan. #17 is an island green(I parred it the only time I played EE), great course.

[quote name='Smish21' timestamp='1396736605' post='9028047']
Larrybud Thanks man! I appreciate it. I will say I just got out for my first 18 this year at maple lane. I shot 98, I'm happy with that I finished last year shooting 105. So yeah range work and clubs I'm comfortable hitting have made a huge difference.

I actually figured I would shoot much worse. So I've already Hit my goal of breaking 100. Now to do it consistently.

Anyone else able to get out yet and play?
[/quote]

Awesome!

Funny, my buddy and I played there yesterday and today... kinda the only game in town.

[quote name='Smish21' timestamp='1396983945' post='9048349']
I will do both! I actually have a tee time for timberwood on Saturday morning. I have seen a few of you guys mention this course thoughts? what holes are the most challenging for this course or are the easiest?
[/quote]
[quote name='Smish21' timestamp='1396983945' post='9048349']
I will do both! I actually have a tee time for timberwood on Saturday morning. I have seen a few of you guys mention this course thoughts? what holes are the most challenging for this course or are the easiest?
[/quote]

challenging are the par 5's that run thru the woods, #3,9 & 18
easy, #1,6,8 and 11