unheralded Donald Ross course

jimb6golf

Just played Triggs Memorial GC in Providence this past weekend and what a find. Very oddly situated course in the middle of the city, but apparently the area built up since the course was built in 1932. Terrific track, with some great old growth trees lining the course, and great routing of the holes in typical Ross fashion (meandering, sloping and turning, etc.). Long difficult par 4's (some really long ones), long par 3's with great elevation changes and reachable par 5's in typical Ross fashion too. For a muni it's in pretty good shape too, but I've heard it might burn out in the summer months though. Not much to speak of for amenities though. Great find and looking forward to playing it again very soon.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played Triggs a few times and agree it is a gem of Ross. Unfortunately, the city doesn't really maintain it very well, and during the summer the weekends are glacially slow . It kind of reminds me of the old Newton Commonwealth Course, before they tore it up for real estate development. Newton Commonwealth was Ross' home course when he lived there.

I plan on playing Triggs in early summer, I will post some pictures as well.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

I played Asheboro Municipal a few years back on a weekend trip to the NC Zoo. It is a 9 hole course that Donald Ross designed in 1935. I was talking to the guy in the pro shop and his quote was, "We have a hidden gem in this course." It is the only DR course I have ever played and would love to get back some day. I understand that Asheville's Muni is an 18 hole DR design that is worth playing.

Ping G400 Max 10.5
Ping G400 5 wood
Ping i-e1 4-U Nippon 105 Stiff
Cleveland 588 RTX CB 52, 56&60
Cameron Squareback 1 Studio Select

• 1 month later...

I love the layout, but the last 2 times we've played there, they had an afternoon shotgun outing. 2 years ago, they had a guy drive out to us after we played #12 telling us we had to skip ahead to #15 because the outing was starting. We ignored him, played 13 and were finishing 14 when the outing groups drove up to the tee box. They were fine with letting us go ahead of them, so no problem there. However, our 2nd group was a hole behind and they were not so lucky, had to wait for the outing groups to go while they were trying to play 14.

Last year we saw that they had the same thing planned, but we were assured there was enough time and we wouldn't have any problems. Well of course the front nine went at a glacial pace and once again we had an outing coming out while we were in the middle of the back 9.

Not sure I'll be going back, I know the group I play with has put the course on the "banished" list.

I live here and banished them about 20 years ago. What eurotrash2 said... layout is good, but they suffer from being a true muni with no money to put into upkeep.

I tried again at the behest of a friend a couple years ago... same result. Nothing changed. Crap conditions (and they just aerated/plugged) and we SPECIFICALLY ASKED if they had and they said 'nope, not yet. Next week.' Off we went and... plugged.

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Shennecossett in Groton, CT

I've never played it but from what I hear, George Wright in Boston belongs on this list as well.

Senior Writer, GolfPass

PING G425 LST - KBS TD 60g Cat 4
Srixon Z F65 15 & 19
TM V-Steel 21
PXG 0311 ST (GEN 4) 4-W - Nippon Modus3 105X
Titleist Vokey SM8 52 & 58 (raw)
Evnroll ER5 (370g)

[quote name='Tim Gavrich' timestamp='1405971478' post='9751867']
Shennecossett in Groton, CT

I've never played it but from what I hear, George Wright in Boston belongs on this list as well.
[/quote]

I have played George Wright hundreds of times. It is an excellent Donald Ross layout, in my opinion, but the condition of the course is hit or miss. Typically, the greens are in pretty good shape but the tees, fairways, and rough (hard pan) vary. Not to state the obvious but it depends how much money they put back into the course as well as how much watering they do. It is a municipal course owned and managed by the City of Boston.

As for the layout, the first hole is a bit boring but a good/generous starting hole considering no practice range. There are some short holes (e.g. 2nd), blind tee shots, some great elevation changes without being anything close to a mountain course, and a lot of solid holes.

if you are a fan of Donald Ross and are in the Boston area, it is certainly worth playing. Be forewarned, weekend rounds can push 6 hours!

• 1 month later...

Triggs is a phenomenal layout, but as others have pointed, it is terribly maintained. About 45 min from Providence is Shennecosset in Groton, CT. Another Ross course with a great layout, tricky greens and is much better condition than trigs. Its also inexpensive.

Poland Spring Golf Course in Poland Spring, Maine is my favorite Ross course. A true nine out, nine in and an amazing layout that follows the contours of the land perfectly.

Shennecossett in Groton is garbage for your money and time spent out there will be at least 5+ hours on your round. the only benefit is the back nine, beautiful views of the Groton sound. the fairways are not maintained, the bunkers are rock piles with sand mixed in there, the rough is not nearly maintained and you can clearly see the greens are being discriminated against on this course. its like they purposely do not take care of them.

All the reviews rave about this course, but I don't understand why, I get its only $40 to play, but I would rather take that plus another $30 and play meadow brook in Richmond, RI.

just my 2 cents but its not worth the play at all

• 11 months later...

I played Shenny for the first time in 10 years yesterday. The first three holes are shite, but very interesting and playable after that.

The first hole you drive across the road, short, flat dogleg par 4, green was rock hard. Second hole has a shot over railroad tracks. Third green is blind and tucked into a fenced in corner.

I played from the tips (6500 yards), and there were some long holes and challenging shotmaking. Green were in great shape and fast.

Play was very slow, teed off at noon on a Sunday, 5 hour round. I paid $38 to walk, great value, except for pace of play and first 3 holes I thought it was a great round of golf.