2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

People who sell used clubs on Craigslist

bowilbury

Anyone ever notice a lot of people who sell used golf gear on Craigslist will price the clubs nowhere near what they're worth. I'll see someone who has found a set of old set of dusty persimmons and blades in their grandfather's garage and they'll put them on Craigslist and ask $300.

Even newer gear that was top of the line when it came out, a few years later most of the value is gone. Let's do a little research before putting our used clubs up for sale. My rule of thumb is, don't sell it for more than what someone can go into a store like Roger Dunn or Play it Again Sports and buy it for.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From my experience with Craigslist in my area, price does not matter to most shoppers on there. They typically just offer whatever they feel like.

I sold some r11 irons back when they were 6 months old with custom shafts, got them for a steal off ebay but didn't like them after a few weeks. Posted them up on craigslist for $450, the highest offer I got was $300 with most offers below $150.

Maybe the ads you've seen are from people versed in these tactics and only want $50 for junk clubs but know they'll only receive lowballs so they price them crazy high to get initial offers to where they like. It's pretty idiotic anyway you look at it.

The Bayou Club, Largo, FL
Lots of TMade clubs and an old SC putter

I suspect the OP is preaching to the choir. Most people around here selling golf equipment on Craigslist are doing exactly what jnier75 said. There's about 2-3 "Craigslist Entrepreneurs" in the Phoenix area who put together whole sets or have a garage full of clubs and they typically are offering prices at just about eBay level. I can only assume they also sell on eBay as well. One guy in particular in North Phoenix is nice enough but has racks and racks full and labeled in his garage....wonder what his neighbors think about the number of visitors he has.

But then there's also the 70% or so of sellers who simply have no idea what they have.

Up here we use Kijiji. Same as CL. I've noticed that people are often times the victim of the cycle of releasing at least one new model of irons/drivers etc per year. The ones who try to sell TM drivers are hit the hardest. You paid $400 for your R1 last year and are now trying to sell it for $250 with the stock shaft? I can get it brand new for less than $200. Bummer. They just don't want to admit that their $400 driver is now only worth $150.

From my experiences on CL, I expect the average offer to start at about 40% of my asking price, and normally settle at about half of my asking price. Doesn't matter what I'm selling, or the condition, or market value. If you list something to high, you will get zero offers, but once offers come in it normal follows that pattern. So if I want to sell something for $75, I'd probably list it as $75 on the bst, or $150 on CL. Just about knowing your audience.

• 4 months later...

[quote name='jnier75' timestamp='1401817894' post='9422583']I sold some r11 irons back when they were 6 months old with custom shafts, got them for a steal off ebay but didn't like them after a few weeks. Posted them up on craigslist for $450, the highest offer I got was $300 with most offers below $150.[/quote]

So what did you wind up doing with that set? Did you use the wrx bst forum?

People in my area have a tendency to price things high and don't seem to check the market for current value.

A quick search yields (among other things) someone selling a used 913 D2 for $300 (Pretty sure I could buy new for that price).

Just because you paid $400 for something a year ago and used it, does not mean you will get $400 for it.

I also like the "These clubs would cost you $900 to buy new" when talking about an iron set that is 4-5 years old. Or the "Paid $400 for it ____ time ago" so therefore it should still command that price.

For example (and an actual listing):

"I am selling a complete wedge set that includes:

Titleist vokey sm4 60 degree, 7 degree bounce lob wedge, true temper s300 steel shaft ($130 brand new) with a new multicompound golf pride grip ($10 upgrade)

Cleveland reg 588 56 degree, 14 degree bounce sand wedge with an upgraded true temper dg spinner shaft for added spin ($140 new club) with a new multicompound golf pride grip ($10 upgrade)

Cleveland reg 588 52 degree, 8degree bounce gap wedge with an upgraded true temper dg spinner shaft for added spin ($140 new club) with a new multicompound golf pride grip ($10 upgrade)

Selling price is $200 dollars cash (these clubs new would be $440 plus tax)"

Personally, I think the more people that overprice their clubs the better. I've bought and sold a number of sets and individual clubs on CL over the years and have done quite well. My strategy is to price to get as much as I can based on what the market will dictate while still being fair and offering full disclosure on the condition. My ads look far more attractive to a prospective buyer than those who are trying to sell low quality stuff at ridiculous prices. I turn a sale pretty quick with very little haggling.

For buyers, just do your research and know your limit.

Most consumers on GolfWRX are "educated consumers". Most shoppers in general....are not. Why not put a club on CL for $200? Someone will most likely buy it as long as it's cheaper than brand new. Anyone here ever sell cars? My buddy owns a few of the dealerships in the area - he bears out what I'm saying - most people don't haggle over a car price, and they don't know what they are buying. The "educated consumer" isn't in the majority...as long as they see "discount" or X% off - they think they're getting a deal.

On a separate note: beware of CL - often times the "new" or "demo" clubs they are selling....are stolen.

Most of the people who sell on CL either don't know the real value of what they are selling, or price their stuff higher knowing that people will haggle with them.

If I want clubs that are over priced, I usually thro out the pga value guide and a couple of sources from ebay. Never had an issue with someone coming down to a reasonable price.

If someone is in-line with pricing, and I want it, I don't ever bother trying to get over on them by trying to get them down, I just tell them I'll take it.

[quote name='Johnny4379' timestamp='1413601012' post='10308179']
Most of the people who sell on CL either don't know the real value of what they are selling, or price their stuff higher knowing that people will haggle with them.

If I want clubs that are over priced, I usually thro out the pga value guide and a couple of sources from ebay. Never had an issue with someone coming down to a reasonable price.

If someone is in-line with pricing, and I want it, I don't ever bother trying to get over on them by trying to get them down, I just tell them I'll take it.
[/quote]

Which PGA value price do you throw at them? Because i cant tell you how annoyong it is when people send me a screenshot of the trade in value and tell me its only worth that or even less

Titleist 907 D2 w/ V2 67
TM RBZ Stage 2 5W HL 21*
Mizuno MP63 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 52 & 58
Odyssey Tour Fill 2 Ball
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1120495-commerce-tigers-odd-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

It's a little funny ... the listings in my CL market seem to be nothing but junk that's 15+ years old, and that seems to be all that sells on CL. I've tried listing a couple items that are mint condition and there's no interest.

I'm guessing there's a good bit of selection bias with the type of audience frequenting CL.

It's not just golf clubs, it's everything nowadays. Over the last year or two asking prices for used items are through the roof be it on Craigslist, eBay buy it now, or any other classifieds. Sports equipment, collectibles, cars, you name it everyone thinks they are sitting on gold for some reason.
I don't even bother buying used stuff anymore, may as well go new.
For instance I was shopping for a particular type of pickup truck a few months back. Everything listed on Craigslist or autotrader was 2-3 years old with 30k miles asking like $36k. But I could buy brand new for $40k. For slightly more i can customize, get the color i want, and get a full warranty. Why the hell would I buy used at those prices?

[quote name='SnapHooky' timestamp='1413645779' post='10309737']
It's not just golf clubs, it's everything nowadays. Over the last year or two asking prices for used items are through the roof be it on Craigslist, eBay buy it now, or any other classifieds. Sports equipment, collectibles, cars, you name it everyone thinks they are sitting on gold for some reason.
I don't even bother buying used stuff anymore, may as well go new.
For instance I was shopping for a particular type of pickup truck a few months back. Everything listed on Craigslist or autotrader was 2-3 years old with 30k miles asking like $36k. But I could buy brand new for $40k. For slightly more i can customize, get the color i want, and get a full warranty. Why the hell would I buy used at those prices?
[/quote]

Not in my experience. I buy cars fairly often for personal and business and hobby. Cars are still on a ~5 year bodystyle/model cycle unlike golf clubs. Be patient - and I typically save 35-40% on a 1-2 year old car or truck vs brand new. Sell it in 3-5 years and you won't lose your shirt.

Golf clubs are entirely different. I'd never buy new these days. With TM models and Callaway releasing things every 6 months or so - they're the worst sort of wasting "asset". You can't give them away. If you see a new model - wait 3 months after they are new and buy them off pre-owned site, or ebay - save 50%, and then dump them for 50% less at the end of the season. Just too much "good equipment" flooding the market today, the component industry is dead; and the new OEMs are cannabalizing themselves. :(

I find clubs on Graigslist to be completely random with respect to price point. Have ferreted out a couple of superb deals, usually on classic or vintage clubs that someone just wants to get rid of. And on the other side of the spectrum I have scratched my head in amazement with, "you want how much for that, I can still buy it new for cheaper."

[quote name='CommerceTiger' timestamp='1413606195' post='10308513']
[quote name='Johnny4379' timestamp='1413601012' post='10308179']

[/quote]

Which PGA value price do you throw at them? Because i cant tell you how annoyong it is when people send me a screenshot of the trade in value and tell me its only worth that or even less
[/quote]

Usually mid resale if they are well above it.
I get your point about getting trade-in values thrown at you. If you wanted to take trade-in for it you would have just done that instead of dealing with a lowballers.

On a side note about trade in values and over pricing used clubs, places like golf mart are the worst.
You're gonna give me pga trade in value, but then turn around and sell it for way above high pga resale? Take in a used driver, give me less than half what I paid, and then turn around and list it for $20 below retail. Really?

As in every other facet of business, if there is no market for a product at a given price, the market won't last. What something is worth is based on whatever someone is willing to pay. Not everyone, but someone, and it is different from person to person. You never know, he/she may be nostalgic for a 40 year old, rusty set of beat up, cheap clubs and be willing to pay top dollar.

I don't pay attention to trade in values. My driver (TM R580xd from 2003) has a trade in value of like $6. I could get several times that from somebody (again, not everybody) based on its excellent condition. Who knows? I could put it on ebay and two people who love that club and broke or lost theirs and long to have another one could bid each other up to $200 and I only paid $125 years ago. I wouldn't pay that, but I'd pay $50 or so because I really like it and know its a good club for me.

I buy and sell on craigslist pretty frequently and agree most people on there are way out of touch. They will ask 3x what a club or set of clubs or worth then offer you 1/3 of what is a fair price. I will price things at a fair price but have a minimum I will accept. Most of the time I have a harder time moving my premium items so I have to sell those on ebay. From my experience I can get more $$ off ebay, I just don't like to deal with the hassle.

[quote name='ChipDriver' timestamp='1413648340' post='10309887']
Golf clubs are entirely different. I'd never buy new these days. With TM models and Callaway releasing things every 6 months or so - they're the worst sort of wasting "asset". You can't give them away. If you see a new model - wait 3 months after they are new and buy them off pre-owned site, or ebay - save 50%, and then dump them for 50% less at the end of the season. Just too much "good equipment" flooding the market today, the component industry is dead; and the new OEMs are cannabalizing themselves. :(
[/quote]

This actually sounds like a fun way to play each season. What's your preferred way to sell at the end of the season - I'm guessing eBay?