Shining Rock

rsj1360

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First time playing I take it? Well, I can tell you this is a course that when finished playing a hole you're going to say, oh if I knew that, I would have done this or used that club. I haven't played there this year, but conditions typically are nice... Greens are hard and fast and the course is not walkable. I would say depending on when you are playing expect a 5 hour round. Nature of the course. Enjoy and have fun

[quote name='DCSerafin' timestamp='1402052424' post='9441069']
I would say depending on when you are playing expect a 5 hour round. Nature of the course. Enjoy and have fun
[/quote]

Yep, if you have a morning tee time, don't be surprised when you pull up to the 3rd tee box and see 2 groups waiting to play. Just a poor design for the opening holes. But after that it should move along.

Also there's a big difference between the white and blue tees, white plays really short with a lot of par 4s < 330 yds, blues will have a couple of long forced carries.

[quote name='kevinricci' timestamp='1402429220' post='9468401']
Shining Rock is a very good golf course after you have played it a couple of times. It looks total different from the green back, than from the tee. It is kind of easy if you are able to keep your tee shots in play.
[/quote]
In what way is this a "very good golf course"? Seriously, I can't think of anything good to say other that the conditions were OK.

That's a pretty blanket statement. I would ask what are your complaints?
I don't like that there isn't an option to ride or that there is no range and the time it takes to play, again associated with the layout. But the conditions, the variations of the holes, some risk/reward holes and three reachable 5 pars make it a fair but challenging test of golf. The people are pleasant to boot.

Complaints (some are not anyone's "fault" - they just "are"):[list=1]
[*]Absolutely goofy layout
[*]I prefer courses I can walk. this course would be unwalkable. This can be forgiven on some courses.
[*]I don't like courses around subdivisions.
[*]For $75 they probably should have a range. But since they probably don't have the room they at least should maintain the mats at the net better.
[*]At least two holes were completely wrong on the scorecard and signs as far as distance is concerned. The 13th is labelled as a par 5 at 424 yards (that is goofy by itself). At the time I didn't notice the distance, only the par. So I had a good drive and being a short hitter, I never reach par 5's in two. So without considering it I pulled out a 3-wood to just play it up the fairway ( the green is up hill and hidden). I hit a nice shot and then heard something, but didn't consider it. Then one of the guys I'm playing with said, "you hit the pin!". I was like, "what? This is a par 5 I couldn't have hit the pin". He said, "no, I think it is a par 4 - right here is a marker that says 175". There is no way, ever that I hit a 250 yard drive. It just doesn't happen. Then the 18th is also labelled as a par 5 at 471 yards. My brother hit a pretty crappy drive and I commented about it jokingly. Then when we got to his ball he was right at the 200 yard marker. That would mean he hit a 275 yard drive. I said, "You hit that ball 150 yards, maybe." Who knows if others were mislabelled as well.
[*]Not the courses fault - but I have never seen so many tees left in the ground - never mind laying on the ground, they were still stuck in the ground. Weird.
[*]I didn't like the kid running out to grab my clubs and put them on the cart. I can do that myself.
[*]Did I mention a totally goofy layout?
[*]I don't like courses with too far between green and tee.
[*]I'm sure if I gave it some thought I could find more complaints.
[/list]
So for an 1 1/2 hour drive and $75 bucks I say with 100% certainty I will never go there again. I wouldn't play it again if I lived next door though.

By the way, pace was fine - finished in 4:15.

I could take or leave this place. Condition is good, layout is bad. As far a drive as it is from Boston there are a lot of better options.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot worse courses out there than Shining Rock. I just wouldn't dream of making it my go-to course with the lay out being the biggest reason.

Tsi3 10* Tensel 1k White 70x
Tsi2 16.5* Tour AD TP 8X;

Apex UW 19* Aldila Green 8x

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 iron

2019 T100 Tour issue 5-9 s400

SM9 46F, SM6 54s and 60s s400

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

i played their fo the first imte a few weeks ago and it tough if its your first time. i heard a lot of people say its better the 2nd time. all the greens have tiers and are really fast. i love fast greens but you acn have a rough day if your not careful. that being said if you do not know the course and you just playing front back or center without knowing the greens its a little tough. there are a few too many querky holes for my taste but course was in great shape. the downfall is the chipping green is the size of my bathroom and for the price they have no driving range.

i am a big fan of Blackstone National which is 15min way fromt here and prefer to play there. not sure if i will go again to shining rock. maybe but wish they has a range.

- Driver: Callaway Ai Smoke - Graphic Design Tour AD UB

- 3 Wood: Callaway Ai Smoke  - Graphic Design Tour AD UB

- 17deg Hybrid: Ping G425 - OBAN Kiyoshi White

- 21deg Hybrid: Tour Edge C723 - OBAN Kiyoshi Purple

- Irons: Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-AW - Accra iSteel Shafts

- Wedges: Vokey SM9 54 & 58deg - Accra iSteel Wedge Shafts

- Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom 9.5 (2022)

- Ball: Taylormade TP5

If you like fast greens, go play Green Hill in Worcester. Fastest greens I've played on a public course. Played there Saturday and they had some kind of member's event set up, so the placements were really tough. More than a few times guys in my group had putts go off the green. Definitely have to keep the ball below the hole there.

[quote name='jdl' timestamp='1403631904' post='9567373']
If you like fast greens, go play Green Hill in Worcester. Fastest greens I've played on a public course. Played there Saturday and they had some kind of member's event set up, so the placements were really tough. More than a few times guys in my group had putts go off the green. Definitely have to keep the ball below the hole there.
[/quote]
Played The Ledges in York on Saturday. Those were fast greens.

Play both the Ledges and Green Hill and I concur. I know the Ledges had some green issues (as did most of the NH and ME courses due to the severe winter) but finally got to get up there this wweekend. ITS A great course with some interesting and long holes. Green Hill is a treat as well. A course that allows you to spray it around on most holes but offer some difficult rough and quick and undulating greens. To boot, both courses have very nice people running them who are excited you chose their course to play. That goes a long way with me.