2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Sky Caddie or Bushnell?

I'm on the fence as well. And to top it off Bushnell has to come out with the Medalist. I want both!!!!

The Medalist is only 4X magnification whereas the Pinkeeker is 7X magnification -- big difference.

As to the slope feature, I thought slope was not legal for handicap purposes. I don't mind having a device for yardage but when you get to slope adjustments, I think that pushes the envelope a little too far.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Own both, use both.

Skycaddie on course, Bushnell on the range.

Both are great, both have features the other doesnt, both have limitations the other doesnt.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P / Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I have a bushnell for two reasons....

a) It was an XMAS present from my in-laws

b) It was an XMAS present from my in-laws ;)

I like mine, however I play the exact same course 95% of the time. Tomorrow, I am heading to a different course I haven't played since getting my Pinseeker 1500 w/slope and I am excited about that.

Once I played my home course with it a few times, the "new-ness" wore off. The first few rounds, I used it almost every hole. Now I find myself only shooting with it maybe once or twice a round.

If I had a fanny pack for it, I'd probably use it more. However I am a walker and I have to dig it out of my bag every time I use it. Then I have to take it out of the case. Its a little cumbersome especially if I am hitting first.

I think either one is a good choice.

I like the fact that I can put mine in scan mode and find out how far it is to the edge of bunker, or pond, whatever....the powerful magnification on mine makes it easier to zero in on the flag....the slope is nice too.

I picked the Bushnell 1500 pinseeker because there are none of the courses i play already setup, it would only be useful for when i went away.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

I have had both and still swear by the Bushnell. It's only limitation is the blind shot, but outside of that it's easy to use, does not lose the signal, and doesn't come up with yardages that are in the plus or minus 10 yard range.

Joe

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 55 Stiff
Wood: Ping G425 5 & 7 Wood  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 75 Stiff

Hybrid: Ping 425 4i Mitsubishi Tensei Orange

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ping Glide 4.0 54 and 58 Wilson Tour Forged 56 and 60
Putter: LAB Directed Force 2.1 (33-69)//Seemore Custom "The Big Fluffy"
Bag: Vessel Player III

Just got a Skycaddie SG4...

1. List view shows you layup/carry of every hazzard

2. Front green carry, back green carry, and pin distance can be seen at one glance as soon as i pu my bag down.

3. i can see exactly how far i hit that last drive/shot. (good idea for the guys on here who say they hit it 350!)

4. Yearly fee is cheap, and inital cost is cheaper (SG2 $250 Vs $300-450 for medilist/1500)

5. Distance to any point on the green... not just the pin to hit those landing areas that will filter teh ball to the hole.

6. "See" hidden hazzards on blind tee shots.

Range People

i've mapped my range too so i know how far it is to each pin no matter where the gates are set up!

Sky caddie is just,no hassle,no work. just stop... look at it, and grab a club. No aiming.

Just got a Skycaddie SG4...

1. List view shows you layup/carry of every hazzard

2. Front green carry, back green carry, and pin distance can be seen at one glance as soon as i pu my bag down.

3. i can see exactly how far i hit that last drive/shot. (good idea for the guys on here who say they hit it 350!)

4. Yearly fee is cheap, and inital cost is cheaper (SG2 $250 Vs $300-450 for medilist/1500)

5. Distance to any point on the green... not just the pin to hit those landing areas that will filter teh ball to the hole.

6. "See" hidden hazzards on blind tee shots.

Range People

i've mapped my range too so i know how far it is to each pin no matter where the gates are set up!

Sky caddie is just,no hassle,no work. just stop... look at it, and grab a club. No aiming.

I agree, I have had the SG3 for 3 months and I love it. The yardage is very accurate I have never played better. It is nice to know exactly what you have to do without having to guess on any distance.

I have had both and still swear by the Bushnell. It's only limitation is the blind shot, but outside of that it's easy to use, does not lose the signal, and doesn't come up with yardages that are in the plus or minus 10 yard range.

Joe

If you're getting +/- 10 yards, that's odd.

SkyCaddie claims +/- 3 yards with the new GPS Satellites. In my experience in using it for 2 years, they've been right on the mark with lasered sprinkler heads.

From reading these threads over 2 years, one either resets the unit or downloads the courses again into the unit and that usually cures any issues.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I don't know if this topic has been asked, but I'm confused to which one to purchase. What do you guys prefer base on your experience, Sky Caddie or Bushnell? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I was kinda reluctant to purchase one after so many years of playing with one and not hinking I would use it, but I just purchased a Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 (no slope), tournament style., and I love it. I use it eerytime I play and would be lost without it.

What I love most about it, as opposed to the Sky Caddie, is you don't have to pay any fees and you don't have to download anything.

It's always ready, for any course, any time. (9-volt batteries is all you need).

Not t deter you from the Sky Caddie, but you would be missing out if you did not to try one out.

Philfest

I don't know if this topic has been asked, but I'm confused to which one to purchase. What do you guys prefer base on your experience, Sky Caddie or Bushnell? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I was kinda reluctant to purchase one after so many years of playing with one and not hinking I would use it, but I just purchased a Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 (no slope), tournament style., and I love it. I use it eerytime I play and would be lost without it.

What I love most about it, as opposed to the Sky Caddie, is you don't have to pay any fees and you don't have to download anything.

It's always ready, for any course, any time. (9-volt batteries is all you need).

Not t deter you from the Sky Caddie, but you would be missing out if you did not to try one out.

Philfest

Come on guys....do the math. A $150 difference in price between the Pinseeker and the Sky Caddie pays for 6 years of membership to Sky Caddie. The Sky Caddie is the best option out there.

The new SG3 and SG4 are simply the best.

I would like to think that knowing the exact yardage to the pin with the Bushnell would help my game but I,m not that good,,,and I doubt that more than 1 in 20 golfers would be able to control their distances that precisely.I do have the SkyCaddie SG-4 and it has improved my game by 3-4 strokes because knowing the front,center and back of the green gives me a much bigger target[ at least in my mind].If I know that the center is 145 and the back is 157 then I take my 160 club out of play.If on the same shot the front is 133 then I take my 130 club out of play.Now all I have to do is pick either my 140 or 150 club and hit a decent shot and either way,,I'm on the green.That is why I like the SkyCaddie,,it gives me a "generally specific" whereas the Pinseeker gives me focus on only one distance.Yes,I know with the Pinseeker I can also shoot front,middle and back but it is too time consuming and I focus more on the Pinseeker than I do the shot. With the SkyCaddie,it's just look,decide and shoot.

I picked up a used pinseeker 1500, and have loved it thus far.

Granted, I do have to shoot different targets to get all the info that may be available to me from a Skycaddie, but for the most part it's pretty quick and easy.

I really would like to have an sg3 or sg4 though, as I like the idea of just having it hooked to the bag and looking down for the info I need.

Unfortunately, I am a mac user, and last I checked, it wasn't mac compatible.

Hopefully that will change soon, and maybe I'll give an sg3 a whirl for a couple seasons.

The good thing is my pinseeker will still fetch a pretty good price, if I decide to sell it.

I am planning on buying a Pinseeker.

To everyone who questions if it would be of use... Have you ever stepped up to an approach and struck it pure only to have it come up short, or fly the green? If so, then you could probably benifit. For one it obviously allows you to know the exact yardage you have to a hole. Also it allows you better course management without prior knowledge of a course. And by using it regularly you will develop a better idea of each club's distance in your bag.

I play the same course most of the time as well. What I plan to do is use the Pinseeker a couple of time and make myself a really nice yardage book, with all the typical markings. Then I can use that for most situations and keep the Pinseeker around for when things get interesting.

I played with a guy who was lasering every shot to five different things, it got real annoying, but I can see the utility in having one handy.

To me the skycaddie seems like too much work off the golf course for too little. I like the independence of a range finder, something I just keep in my bag and not think about till I need it. I have seen PDA programs that keep scores, sats, display full color maps of the courses, and give you GPS. I wish they were as popular as skycaddie, unfortunately I haven't found one that seems like it won't go out of business tomorrow. If skycaddie could incorperate ShotLinks then I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

i wanted to get the bushnell with slope but after reading these post as well, i dont know either. my big question is does the sky caddie take into acount slope or not? if it doesnt, its not worth it. slope makes a difference!!!

Yes, slope makes a difference but using the bushnell with the slope is against the rules. To me, its a useless feature even thought its great information. For me and my friends, the skycaddie has been the better option.

if I was using the bushnell to create a yardage book then I would buy that in a second but for use during the round I have to stick with the skycaddie.

The Pinseeker with the slope feature is illegal for use in Golf Assoc of Michigan tourney's i.e Mi. Am., Mi Mid-Am....If the Sky Caddy shows slope, then it is also illegal. Many Clubs elect to adopt there own states "local rules" with regard to matters such as this and therefore using a device that shows slope in say a club invitational would be prohibted...I have the Pin Tourney edition, which displays an emblem on the top that clearly indicates I am not violating the slope rule. I like the unit and 95% of the time am able to get the dist to the front of the green and find that it picks up the flag pretty quick. It has become part of my routine on approach shots to get the front and pin and I do so in 15 seconds.

I definitely think both are great devices. I have the PinSeeker1500 and love it. Evaluated the Skycaddie but many of the courses I play I already know carry distances etc, and all I am looking for primarily is distance to the pin. Great devices, to each his own.

There have been comparisons about a few things:

1) knowing how far your drives go (which Skycaddie calculates). I turn around at my ball and laser something close to the tee box(cart, person, hole sign) and I get my info on the lentgh of my drive.

2) Holes over 385 Yards, I don't really think I would change club selection based on the fact that the skycaddie tells me there are bunkers out on the right 260+. I am pulling out the big stick no matter what and if I hit the trap its just a bad shot. Last I saw there aren't many long holes with bunkers straight down the pipe!

3) I know all the courses I play really well, give me distance to the pin so that I can still knock it 10 yards short.. :D

Driver - M2/KuroKage xstiff
3 wood - TS2 16.5/KuroKage xstiff
Hybrids - Titleist 918 3/4
Irons - Mizuno 223, Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges - Vokey SM8 - 51, 56, 60
Whitlam/Gauge Design - Coldstar Devon ETBW
Bag - Sun Mountain C-130

Club - WoodenSticks Golf Club

I'm on the fence as well. And to top it off Bushnell has to come out with the Medalist. I want both!!!!

I bought the Medalist and took it back the next day for the PS 1500 W/O slope is much better. There's a big difference between 7X -vs- 4X. It's just my opinion, but I think the x-tra $100 is worth it.

Plus, many of the tour players use it, so I can't be that far off.

I just have a designated pocket for mine, and leave it out of the case for the entire round. Makes it MUCH more accessible. I tried using the case with it the first few rounds...but it was a pain, and I didn't see it as being necessary.

I agree with you, but the one I bought yesterday came with a belt/pouch that wraps around your bag?

It's pretty convenient and you might be able to get one?

I'm seriously thinking of the skycaddie but does the average 10-12 handicapper really need this? Does it help and also the courses I play have one star on the list does that mean that someone at least mapped out the greens?

I'm a 12 and I used the heck out of my Nikon 440. Now that I bought the P/S 1500, it'll be used just as much.

I really don't care what device you buy and as I said I have had both. Here are some things to consider when trying to decide:

1. I play in a group where many of the guys have Skycaddies, If they are so wonderful, WHY are they always asking me for information they don't have or trust? My new answer when I am trying to be funny is to go buy a Pinseeker and leave me alone.

2. A friend of mine plays on the mini tours and one special event was sponsored by Skycaddy. The players were outfitted with the latest models and software and they played a 2 day event. They compared yardages with their pinseekers and filled out surveys info for Skycaddie. At the end of the event of the 70 plus pros invited to the event to play...ZERO of them prefered the Skycaddie over the Pinseeker.

3. I hear the following pretty often: "wait I don't have a signal", "can this be right", "Oops I am on the wrong hole, it was supposed to change" and so on.........

My Pinseeker is point and shoot, grab club and shoot.

Joe

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

I really don't care what device you buy and as I said I have had both. Here are some things to consider when trying to decide:

1. I play in a group where many of the guys have Skycaddies, If they are so wonderful, WHY are they always asking me for information they don't have or trust? My new answer when I am trying to be funny is to go buy a Pinseeker and leave me alone.

2. A friend of mine plays on the mini tours and one special event was sponsored by Skycaddy. The players were outfitted with the latest models and software and they played a 2 day event. They compared yardages with their pinseekers and filled out surveys info for Skycaddie. At the end of the event of the 70 plus pros invited to the event to play...ZERO of them prefered the Skycaddie over the Pinseeker.

3. I hear the following pretty often: "wait I don't have a signal", "can this be right", "Oops I am on the wrong hole, it was supposed to change" and so on.........

Joe

I am amazed at the amount of comments on this forum from people talking about a +/- 10 yds or no signal, etc. I used one last season and never once had one single issue other than me being stupid and forgetting to charge the battery. We have tested it against numerous lasers and its ALWAYS within a yard or two. I have never not had a signal and the only time it has been on another hole is when you are up near a green closer to the next hole.....I don't know about any of you but I don't need to know that my chip is 11 yds....I can figure that one out with my eyes. The people that I play with have put their lasers away because in their opinions they are more of a pain in the rear to use. The only exception is those that have lasers with slope and that is against the rules so that should not even be discussed in this comparison. The slope feature is a huge benefit!!! I guess all of the people with laser range finders play flat courses or always keep it in the fairway because it sounds like they never have a problem getting a yardage for a blind spot.

The pros should not even be in the discussion because 1. they can dial a wedge (or any club) down to almost exact yardage 2. they have a caddie that does all this crap for them. I am a low single digit handicap and I am not good enough that I can make a 93 yd swing vs a 96 yard swing. If your good enough for that and bad enough at figuring out where a pin is on a green then by all means, the laser is the way to go. I however can use my skycaddie to get me within a couple of yards of where the pin is. I can hang it on my bag. Walk up to my ball, put the bag down and look down at the skycaddie, get the yardage and hit my shot....no pointing it, trying to lock on to the flag from 180 yds out, putting it back in its case. There are certainly benefits to the rangefinder for those that want exact yardage to things (trees, rocks, etc) on the golf course but after using both I will never accept that the skycaddie is not MUCH easier to use as part of every round you play.

Bottom line is get what you want...they are both great tools. I chose the skycaddie because I like to use it for most every round I play on virtually every shot. I found it to speed up play and easier to use. If I had a caddie or was using it for practice rounds in order to make a yardage book then I would use the rangefinder.

I hate to sound like a jerk above but I know a number of people that have bought the skycaddie and non of them have ever had a signal problem or had one give yardage that was not within a yard or two of when compared to a laser or an accurately measured course.

Eric

Ping G430 MAX 10K 2024 Ventus Blue
Callaway Ai Smoke Max 2024 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 19deg hyb Blue Ventus HB

Ping G430 22 deg hyl Blue Ventus HB
Mizuno Pro 245 5-pw Axiom 105s
Mizuno S23 50-54-58 
LAB DF2.1 Broomstick

Joe

I am amazed at the amount of comments on this forum from people talking about a +/- 10 yds or no signal, etc. I used one last season and never once had one single issue other than me being stupid and forgetting to charge the battery. We have tested it against numerous lasers and its ALWAYS within a yard or two. I have never not had a signal and the only time it has been on another hole is when you are up near a green closer to the next hole.....I don't know about any of you but I don't need to know that my chip is 11 yds....I can figure that one out with my eyes. The people that I play with have put their lasers away because in their opinions they are more of a pain in the rear to use. The only exception is those that have lasers with slope and that is against the rules so that should not even be discussed in this comparison. The slope feature is a huge benefit!!! I guess all of the people with laser range finders play flat courses or always keep it in the fairway because it sounds like they never have a problem getting a yardage for a blind spot.

The pros should not even be in the discussion because 1. they can dial a wedge (or any club) down to almost exact yardage 2. they have a caddie that does all this crap for them. I am a low single digit handicap and I am not good enough that I can make a 93 yd swing vs a 96 yard swing. If your good enough for that and bad enough at figuring out where a pin is on a green then by all means, the laser is the way to go. I however can use my skycaddie to get me within a couple of yards of where the pin is. I can hang it on my bag. Walk up to my ball, put the bag down and look down at the skycaddie, get the yardage and hit my shot....no pointing it, trying to lock on to the flag from 180 yds out, putting it back in its case. There are certainly benefits to the rangefinder for those that want exact yardage to things (trees, rocks, etc) on the golf course but after using both I will never accept that the skycaddie is not MUCH easier to use as part of every round you play.

Bottom line is get what you want...they are both great tools. I chose the skycaddie because I like to use it for most every round I play on virtually every shot. I found it to speed up play and easier to use. If I had a caddie or was using it for practice rounds in order to make a yardage book then I would use the rangefinder.

I hate to sound like a jerk above but I know a number of people that have bought the skycaddie and non of them have ever had a signal problem or had one give yardage that was not within a yard or two of when compared to a laser or an accurately measured course.

Eric

To each his own and I am glad you have had zero trouble with yours. I have had two of these and sold them both. Maybe it's the signal where you are, maybe not, I have know idea.

I think the pros are relevant because they were in a test/tourney using both peices and came away with that consensus. Had the results been different, I am sure it would have been in a Sky Caddy ad.

We recently played Bulle Rocke in Maryland and two guys had the Sky Caddy and two had Pinseekers. By the 12th hole, only the Pinseekers guys were still using theirs. One guy lost his signal, it was very in and out all day and the other guy failed to charge his battery. Now thats not a device failure but a human one.

Good luck with what ever you choose, I am just glad they are legal.

On a sidenote I did not find the slope feature on a friends unit all that useful. He regrets having bought it as they are illegal and the benift seems marginal.

Joe

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ski caddie, and heres why

what if you want to know the carry distance of a small creek that is in a small valley. From the tee you cannot even see the creek or the valley. The ski caddie will give you distance to the front of the hazzard and the back.

What if your line to the pin is blocked out. Say you are in the wrong fairway for example. Again, ski caddie wins.

I had a 1500 last year and sold it on e-bay, it was no where near as easy to use as the ski caddie I replaced it with. The ski caddie also gave me 10 times the info without any pointing or aiming.

I agree 100%.

There are some local courses I play a couple times a year. And they have blind landing zones in front of creeks. But unless your a regular, your not going to have that information. Now that I'm getting longer off the tee and longer off the carpet with my 3 and 4 wood. I want to know how far it is to fly those blind creeks. Might as well take advantage of my new found length. Especially in match plays, if I can put the pressure on and am up first, I want to keep the ball in play, but as far up as I can.

If you have line of sight, they are both good, but for blind shots, I'll take the skycaddie every time.

I thought long and hard . . . I too wondered. I read all the posts here on GOLFWRX and then I bought a Bushnell off of ebay two weeks ago. . . . Sky Caddie what? I love the Bushnell! I measure everything in sight. Chipped 100 balls today to 3 targets at 40 50 and 60 yards. GO FOR THE BUSHNELL! At the range the other day, too hotshots came over and were mouthing off, "I'm hitting my 7 iron to the 200 yards marker." . . . I couldn't let that go . . "Actually, you hit your 7 iron 176 yards." (Actually, both are great!)