2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Sky Caddie or Bushnell?

I have to post this because I had an interesting experience today at the range. I was practicing away minding my own business today when some guy settled himself a few stations in front of me and immediately went down on one knee and began lasering with his range finder to the targets. It looked extremely funny and I just smiled (he didn't notice since he was so busy finding his targets). Anyways, I politely asked him twice about his rangefinder to which he blatantly ignored me (there was no one between us and the range was quite quiet since it was around 2 pm). To which I was a bit irritated I admit. Anyways, he proceeded to hit nothing but shanks, fat slices and duck hooks with every club in his bag to which at that point I couldn't help but crack up. Sorry guys, but I've realized a few things based on seeing this....

1. People who use rangefinders look quite moronic when peering though their gadget only to hit nothing but shanks.

2. If you're going to use your device, at least have the polite mannerisms to acknowledge me when I say "Excuse me sir, what kind of rangefinder is that?" at the very least, whether or not you choose to answer whatever question is another point.

3. If you're that scruffy looking middle-aged Caucasian @ Island's Range in Anaheim, CA, go return your rangefinder for a refund and go buy some lessons since you can't even hit a ball straight.

Hahahahaha, this sad but funny event has led me to decide I'd rather choose a SkyCaddie over laser. I couldn't hit a 3 yard in diameter target 150 yards out (I lost good money too at the range because of this) which leads me to believe that I have zero need for exact distances. Not to mention quickly looking at an electronic device is a lot less moronic than standing their looking through something like Captain Ahab.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to post this because I had an interesting experience today at the range. I was practicing away minding my own business today when some guy settled himself a few stations in front of me and immediately went down on one knee and began lasering with his range finder to the targets. It looked extremely funny and I just smiled (he didn't notice since he was so busy finding his targets). Anyways, I politely asked him twice about his rangefinder to which he blatantly ignored me (there was no one between us and the range was quite quiet since it was around 2 pm). To which I was a bit irritated I admit. Anyways, he proceeded to hit nothing but shanks, fat slices and duck hooks with every club in his bag to which at that point I couldn't help but crack up. Sorry guys, but I've realized a few things based on seeing this....

1. People who use rangefinders look quite moronic when peering though their gadget only to hit nothing but shanks.

2. If you're going to use your device, at least have the polite mannerisms to acknowledge me when I say "Excuse me sir, what kind of rangefinder is that?" at the very least, whether or not you choose to answer whatever question is another point.

3. If you're that scruffy looking middle-aged Caucasian @ Island's Range in Anaheim, CA, go return your rangefinder for a refund and go buy some lessons since you can't even hit a ball straight.

Hahahahaha, this sad but funny event has led me to decide I'd rather choose a SkyCaddie over laser. I couldn't hit a 3 yard in diameter target 150 yards out (I lost good money too at the range because of this) which leads me to believe that I have zero need for exact distances. Not to mention quickly looking at an electronic device is a lot less moronic than standing their looking through something like Captain Ahab.

Great story.My only caveat about the guy not responding to you is that he may very well have been deaf.I cannot imagine anyone being so rude as to not respond at all.

I have both, but on a semi-foggy morning the other day the laser was useless.

If you can not see your target, Skycaddy wins all the time.

But then again, there are very few times I shoot at a target we can't see, or more importantly, don't know where it's at?

your course has no blind shots? is it dead flat with no trees?

But then again, there are very few times I shoot at a target we can't see, or more importantly, don't know where it's at?

I don't allow for a blind shot. I usually know the hole or course by maping out how I'm going to play it, the course and hole!

Phil

I don't allow for a blind shot. I usually know the hole or course by maping out how I'm going to play it, the course and hole!

Phil

Quote of the year! Coming from a 12 handicap too!

I play a lot of different courses and I do not have the time to scout them or know them by heart. Heck, the second into hole 4 of Lost Canyons Sky course is a big fade around a mountain, about 240 yards.

You need to walk to about 100 yards out to see the pin. No laser will work there.

I use both, but I can stop the push cart/drop the bag and know yardage within 2 seconds with the SkyCaddy. Noone has their laser locked/loaded to get info that quick.

I use the laser mainly on new courses when I can see whatever it is I want to carry, but a 4 star mapped Skycaddy course eliminates that need to. Im using the laser less and less as more and more courses get 4 star mapped.

The ones that are not 4 star mapped I play often enough I dont need either, I usually know what to hit when I see my ball stop rolling from the shot I just hit.

In fact I could almost tell you what club I will hit on EVERY shot tomorrow morning, +/- a club for wind :D

icec0ld,

What is your problem? Do you really think you are so good that you can insult people like your do? You remind me of Gary from Big Break VII....

Scott

??? I have no problem with ANYONE here. I just found it funny that he said he doesn't allow for blind shots. If anything that's more Gary ala BB than anything. You sir need to stop getting your panties in a bunch and realize this is nothing more than a message board and that you cannot assume tone based on simple words. Anyone who knows me knows I'm no a** and I've met plenty of people on this board and dealt with many others without problem. Take a deep breath, it's the internet and no one has a gun to anyone's head.

icec0ld,

You laugh at people because they can't hit the ball as well as apparently you can. You say people look moronic when using a laser range finder. You make fun of someone's quote and then add insult to injury when you comment that they are a 12 handicap. Obviously you think you are superior to these people.

I don't laugh at people that are trying to get better but are having problems doing so and I certainly don't say someone looks moronic when looking through a laser range finder. And I wouldn't regardless of how good or bad I played the game.

Maybe it's not your intent to come across the way that you do...but you do come across as someone that thinks they are superior.

Scott

icec0ld,

You laugh at people because they can't hit the ball as well as apparently you can. You say people look moronic when using a laser range finder. You make fun of someone's quote and then add insult to injury when you comment that they are a 12 handicap. Obviously you think you are superior to these people.

I don't laugh at people that are trying to get better but are having problems doing so and I certainly don't say someone looks moronic when looking through a laser range finder. And I wouldn't regardless of how good or bad I played the game.

Maybe it's not your intent to come across the way that you do...but you do come across as someone that thinks they are superior.

Scott

I called the guy "moronic" because the guy was on one knee scoping the range. You would laugh too (and probably get pissed at him) if he then proceeded to shank balls left and right and cursed after every word disturbing yourself and everyone else at the range. On top of that, you'd probably snicker after you politely ask him something to which he tries to act above you by ignoring you. You can try to make the statement "he might be deaf" but how does a deaf person hear his cell phone ringing (not to say you were the one that initially made that statement). Maybe you should stop keying in on words and instead read EVERYTHING I say. Let's stop bickering because you obviously have problems with me. IF you STILL have a problem interpreting text written on the internet, feel free to pm me with your name and number and I'll call you and we can discuss this man to man.

Can the Sky Caddie tell you how far your neighbors windows is? I think not. Just in case you skull a wedge shot in your backyard, you may have to pay for the repairs.

Actually it could... LOL

You have to Map a "new course" on your back yard.

Sorry couldn't help myself. :D

I just took out to the course a Bushnell sport 400 which I picked up at my local Dicks Sporting goods Hunting section for $140 yesterday.

Let me tell you that it is kinda cool but not $140 worth of cool... I played a quick nine and returned it on my way home, didn't even bother waiting till monday.

If you're giving a Laser Range finders a try get a good one or dont bother. :beach:

I am giving up my Rangefinder seach for a GPS search.

Last year I had the SG, this year I have the PS 1500 no slope. The people that say that each have their advantages and disadvantages are correct.

I actually had 2 SCs last year, due do some technical problems with one, SC sent me another etc. Their tech support is ok. Very nice etc, but technically, they could be better. Anyway, I played a good amount of courses that are tree lined with some big pines, and the SCs signal struggled. Yardages that I knew by heart were some times 10 yards off. Also, it did take probably 5-10 seconds for the yardage numbers to stop moving when I got to my ball. It was irritating, but very manageable. The SC really worked well when I was off the fairway, and in those cases probably wouldnt be able to shoot the flag with the laser. The front middle back green yardages were also nice. In the end I sold both because of the yardage descrpencies. Both units were considerably off and couldn't get a good signal in my neck of the woods. Maybe the guy who mapped for them around here liked his booze, who knows?

This year I've got the PS 1500, so far so good. You do have to shoot everything to get the number, where as on the SC, I had the numbers right there, at one time on the screen, and miss that. There are times when I can't shoot my target, but the times that I can, I know it's accurate.

Obviously the best thing would be to buy both and use them side by side for a few rounds and see which one you like the most, and sell the other one on Ebay if you can't take it back, or take store credit etc.

Just to be clear, I gave the 400 a try because it was the only one they had.

At this point I think the only way to go for laser would be to at least start with a mid level model or of course the 1500 would be the way to go if you can afford it.

But not the entry level $140 one unless you want to carry a tripod to keep it steady while you shoot your distances...

Laser does work, and it couldn't be simpler, just point and shoot. Perfect for technologically challenged people.

And I NOT trying to say that people who use them are! Just want to make that clear before I start catching heat for pointing out the obvious.

I say that beacuse there are certain individuals that I play with on ocasion that I know could not handle the complexity of having more than one button on anything.

Ideally, I would like to have both. Assuming the it was a 4 star course for the Sky Caddie, I would use it the majority of the time. Courses I have played that had GPS systems built into the carts work quite well. The Laser range finder would be used for ranging points on the course that the Sky Caddie reported no information on. If I could only have one or the other, or could afford to only buy one first, I would buy the laser range finder. That's what I did, in fact. I have a Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 Tournament Edition and love it.

Scott

I have the SG3...

Yesterday, I had a couple of bad yardages from my Skycaddie (pull club and hit shot from 156 to center)( fly green...walk 10 steps forward to the 120 marker). Grrrr

So today I used the shops Pinseeker 1500. Nice unit...had to shoot the flag 2 or 3 times to make sure that I had the number (and I have a steady hand from photography). Still not perfect but very good.

By 15, one of the assistants was driving by and I gave him the 1500. At the end of the day, the SG3 was within 2 yards of the laser...yeah, I got a bad yardage yesterday. It Happens. But the Skycaddie just works best for me. On par 5s, I can hit it to 100yds with no blinking. I also got tired of putting it in and out of the bag.

No one looks at you funny when you have a Skycaddie on your bag, but if you pull out the laser, shoot the pin, and then chunk it....well you just look like a wannabe.

I am a 4 handicap, and I prefer the Skycaddie.

Patrick

Ping G400 MAX 10.5* w Xtorsion Copper
Ping i210 4-u, Glide 2.0 54, 58
Guerin GR3 Mallet

I had a Skycaddie and sold it. I found that if the course was not lasered correctly, then the yardages in the Skycaddie are wrong. This is quite common because a person had to get the actual yardages at one time, and if they were wrong, the database is wrong. I also hated to remember to recharge it. Many times I pulled it out of my bag and it was dead. The yardages to trouble were very hard to figure out. Also, if you are a Mac guy, then you have to borrow a friends PC to load the thing. I replaced the Skycaddie with a Bushnell 1500 and love it. Battery lasts forever, and I can get yardages to anything in seconds.

Played my first round last weekend with the Sky Caddie and I am sold. First off, this was a 4 star (professionally mapped course), so keep that in mind as you read this review. This is a course that I play the majority of the time, so I am familiar with the yardage. The course also provides a pin sheet with a general area on the green where the pin, so I can get a very good guess of the accurate yardage to the pin. With that said I was very impressed with the amount and accuracy of information provided. I was lucky enough to have full reception throughout the day and experienced no issues as others have mentioned above.

Here are some of the features that have me sold:

First off, there are several tee shots that have a end of fairway that is blind from the tee. I would not have been able to laser the distance, but with the sky caddie, had all of the numbers right there in front of me. Even though I have played this course several times, it was great to know that I could take one more club if I wanted to. Second, I am a big fan of the ability to pick a hazard or feature, and then get the remaining yardage to the pin from that area. This is very helpful in the overall course management as I can pick the yardage and club that I want to have left for my approach. Along those lines, I am also very impressed with the lay-up numbers that are given. No more guessing what club to hit on a downhill blind Par 5 to get to the 100 yard mark. I also find it beneficial to be able to mark of the yardage of my tee and approach shots. Although it can be sobering, it is useful to know what distances I really hit my clubs. Finally, I just loved having all of this information given to me instantaneously without having to do a thing. I am never one who likes to go digging in my bag when I am playing, so a rangefinder seems like a monumental pain in the arse to me. Now using the Sky Caddie, I realized how upset I would have to pull out the rangefinder all day when I needed a number. Never having to pull out a laser and take time to find the yardage is huge advantage (at least to me). There is no doubt that in terms of time spent, the Sky Caddie has a significant advantage in terms of pace of play.

Your mileage may very, but so far, this has been a great purchase that I do not regret.

I'm thinking of getting a sky caddie..particularly after reading all of these reivews and knowing that all the courses I play have a 4 star rating. How easy is this thing, particularly the SG3 to put in your pocket? Does it disappear like a cell phone or is it best to leave it in the cart/bag?

Thanks for all the great reviews on both the Bushnell and Sky Caddie offerings.

I am on a 4 star course, but have had 2 units that could not keep a signal. Several guys in my group have the same issue and the Bushnell is winning out.

I am just wondering if my area and home course Hobbits Glen are too close to government locations that diminish the number of signals an area can receive? Admittedly I am not up on the tech aspect but Ft Meade and several NG facilities are near by.

The Sky Caddy can be faster and somewhat easier to use...but it has to be working, my Bushnell has always worked.

Joe

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 55 Stiff
Wood: Ping G425 5 & 7 Wood  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 75 Stiff

Hybrid: Ping 425 4i Mitsubishi Tensei Orange

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ping Glide 4.0 54 and 58 Wilson Tour Forged 56 and 60
Putter: LAB Directed Force 2.1 (33-69)//Seemore Custom "The Big Fluffy"
Bag: Vessel Player III

No one looks at you funny when you have a Skycaddie on your bag, but if you pull out the laser, shoot the pin, and then chunk it....well you just look like a wannabe.

:russian_roulette: great point, one would definitely look like an idiot if they did that. Maybe thats whats holding me back from getting either one...

No contest. I play tourney golf. No charging, downloading courses, blah, blah, blah. Just point, shoot, get yardage and go. My buddy has a sky caddie, and when his subscription runs out he's getting a Pinseeker from Bushnell.

Ty

Funny I have a buddy who is doing the opposite. Plays the Bushnell now and wants to throw it in a hazard. He complains about his Bushnell:

on really cold days, can't hold it still

on blind shots,

needing to measure multiple targets (on one screen for SC),

taking too long, SC much faster,

no feature displaying prior shot length, etc.

All the courses we play are 4 star, and when they are 4 star there IS NO COMPARISON. When a course isn't mapped I guess a Bushnell is better. On a 4 star course, again, no discussion. It's not even close. And whoever wants to know about their neighbors window............. ummmmmmm OK.

Callaway Paradym  9*  Kai Li White
Callaway Paradym  15*  Kai Li Red

Callaway Paradym  20*  Kai Li Red

Ping G425  22*  Alta CB
Ping G425  26*  Alta CB

Ping G425  30*  Alta CB
Ping G425   7 - SW   KBS C-Taper Lite
Odyssey Tank Marxman
Callaway ERC Soft Yellow

I had the LaserLink, the one where the pins at our club had reflectors. Could only shoot the pin. Picked up a Bushell 1500 this Spring. Big Difference! Can shoot any target you want and can take it to any course to use. Haven't tried the "satellite" versions, but looked and found few courses in my area marked. Most had just front, middle, back. Also don't like the idea of subscriptions, downloads, etc. Bushnell gets the job done for me.