2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Oban Isawa

Boogs2

Anyone been able to try one out? From Oban's site, looking forward to try this out on a fairway wood.

http://www.obanshafts.com/woods/isawa-red/

If you have hit it, how does it feel (compared to other Oban shafts)? Smooth? Boardy?

Thanks!

Driver: Who knows at this point smh

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Mizuno T22 50* Blue Ion Modus 115x

Mizuno T22 54 Denim Copper TI S400/Vokey SM5 54F

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

TaylorMade M2 2016, 8.0* UST ATTAS GoGo 5 6X
TaylorMade SLDR 14.3* UST Chrome 8FT5
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 18* Speeder TS HB 9.8X
Srixon Z 765 4-PW Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S
Titleist SM6 50F, 56M, 60K Kuro Kage TiNi LBP 105TX
Evnroll ER2

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/921839-first-witb-guess-where-im-from/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 2 weeks later...

Ordered it for my 14 degree Mini TP. Will try my best to describe it when it arrives but not a shaft expert like u guys. Only got my Oban Purple recently for my SLDR.

Titleist TSR2 10 Ventus Blue
Taylormade Stealth 2 5W
Taylormade Stealth 4H VA Slay 85 S
Mizuno Pro 225 Nippon Modus 115 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 - Nippon Modus 3 Wedge 115

Taylormade Spider Putter

[quote name='icandy' timestamp='1418205803' post='10571379']
Ordered it for my 14 degree Mini TP. Will try my best to describe it when it arrives but not a shaft expert like u guys. Only got my Oban Purple recently for my SLDR.
[/quote]

perfect, which specs have you ordered?

Evnroll ER2

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/921839-first-witb-guess-where-im-from/"]WITB Link[/url]

I have it coming in today. From the guys at fairwayjockey, it's supposed to be their "softest" shaft in the lineup. High launch, mid/high spin. I ordered one at 65g, stiff flex, tipped one inch, to play at 44.5" in an Anser driver head. It's way different than the Kiyoshi White that I have, but I'm looking forward to trying it out. I wouldnt mind sacrificing some distance for a bit more spin and more carry. One of the longest combos I've had was a kiyoshi purple untipped with a covert tour head. So really looking forward to this combo and from the pics I've seen, the Isawa looks great!

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1091195-oban-shafts-shot-at-the-2014-shriners/page__st__30__p__10535621__hl__+isawa#entry10535621

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

[quote name='peakposition' timestamp='1418215663' post='10571539']
[quote name='icandy' timestamp='1418205803' post='10571379']
[/quote]

perfect, which specs have you ordered?
[/quote]
Was getting better consistency with regular in the Kiboshi Purple so decided to get something similar.
Isawa Red 65 - Regular.

Titleist TSR2 10 Ventus Blue
Taylormade Stealth 2 5W
Taylormade Stealth 4H VA Slay 85 S
Mizuno Pro 225 Nippon Modus 115 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 - Nippon Modus 3 Wedge 115

Taylormade Spider Putter

Well, it finally got here. Looks wise, this is one of the best looking shafts I've seen. The candy apple red paint scheme looks great with the matte black finish of the Anser.

Just by waggling the club, it definitely is a lot more active at the tip than the Kiyoshi White, but that is expected. I'm hoping that the weather holds up so I can give this baby a go. Really excited to test this one out.

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1418255741' post='10575013']
Well, it finally got here. Looks wise, this is one of the best looking shafts I've seen. The candy apple red paint scheme looks great with the matte black finish of the Anser.

Just by waggling the club, it definitely is a lot more active at the tip than the Kiyoshi White, but that is expected. I'm hoping that the weather holds up so I can give this baby a go. Really excited to test this one out.
[/quote]

I would love to know what you think of it, I Just ordered it. I have a devotion 6(5) and wanted something higher launching so I'm going with the 6(4). Im conflicted about weather to get the S or X. The devotion in the X was too much at times. Cant wait for your input though!

PING G30 OBAN ISAWA
R9 TP
913 H- D+92
Ping S55 'Merica Edition
Vokey SM4 50 54 58
SC Newport 2 Notchback

intrested how this will work in the anser head. This head is still one of my favourite low spinning heads.

Evnroll ER2

[quote name='sms13232' timestamp='1418258978' post='10575283']

[/quote]

I would love to know what you think of it, I Just ordered it. I have a devotion 6(5) and wanted something higher launching so I'm going with the 6(4). Im conflicted about weather to get the S or X. The devotion in the X was too much at times. Cant wait for your input though!
[/quote]

I got at 65 05 int his and tipped it .5", in retrospect I could have left it untipped. I've played the Devo 65 04 and 05 (05 was too stout), Kiyoshi Purple 65 04 and Kiyoshi Gold 65 04 in my driver previously.. I also have gamed several Obans in my fairways and hybrids i the past. I based my decision to tip it on how loose the the profile of the Gold was ... This shaft is NOT as left biased as the Kiyoshi Gold.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

[/quote]

Hopefully the weather stays decent this weekend for me to play and get a round or two in. Ive never tried a devotion before but based on reading reviews of the devotion and it being a lower spin/launch shaft, I'm pretty sure the Isawa will have no problem getting the ball in the air especially if you're coming form a 6(5) to a 6(4). Depending on how low launching/spinning and how much you easily loaded the devo 6(5), you may have to go 6(4) with maybe at least 1/2" to 1" of tipping, but then again, you could always tip later. I'll try to get a review in this weekend.

[quote name='peakposition' timestamp='1418287096' post='10577137']
intrested how this will work in the anser head. This head is still one of my favourite low spinning heads.
[/quote]

Anser is definitely up there with one of my favorite drivers ever. If it doesnt work out in the anser, I may pull the adapter and put it in my backup Superfast TP and see how that works.

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

[quote name='ladahl' timestamp='1418302000' post='10577409']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I got at 65 05 int his and tipped it .5", in retrospect I could have left it untipped. I've played the Devo 65 04 and 05 (05 was too stout), Kiyoshi Purple 65 04 and Kiyoshi Gold 65 04 in my driver previously.. I also have gamed several Obans in my fairways and hybrids i the past. I based my decision to tip it on how loose the the profile of the Gold was ... This shaft is NOT as left biased as the Kiyoshi Gold.
[/quote]

How does the Isawa play compared to the Kiyoshi Puple (despite different flexes)? I was talking to the guys at fairway jockey and I told them of my previous experiences with the Purple and they told me that I should probably get a 4 flex and tip it 1" so it would be a better comparison to my current Kiyoshi White 65/4 tipped 1".

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1418302756' post='10577457']
[/quote]

Hopefully the weather stays decent this weekend for me to play and get a round or two in. Ive never tried a devotion before but based on reading reviews of the devotion and it being a lower spin/launch shaft, I'm pretty sure the Isawa will have no problem getting the ball in the air especially if you're coming form a 6(5) to a 6(4). Depending on how low launching/spinning and how much you easily loaded the devo 6(5), you may have to go 6(4) with maybe at least 1/2" to 1" of tipping, but then again, you could always tip later. I'll try to get a review in this weekend.

[/quote]

Anser is definitely up there with one of my favorite drivers ever. If it doesnt work out in the anser, I may pull the adapter and put it in my backup Superfast TP and see how that works.
[/quote]

It's 1/2inch tipped just waiting for it to come in. I was just too hot and cold with the devotion and missed right when I wasn't being aggressive. I was down between the Tour AD DI 6X, The New B-Series and this. I had the 6s but it wasn't for me, although it was the perfect fit for my Dad. I'm just looking for something I can consistently hit well. and get a nice launch in tournaments and for qualifying during school season. Fyi Mines going into A G30 Head

PING G30 OBAN ISAWA
R9 TP
913 H- D+92
Ping S55 'Merica Edition
Vokey SM4 50 54 58
SC Newport 2 Notchback

[quote name='sms13232' timestamp='1418332597' post='10579935']
[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1418302756' post='10577457']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's 1/2inch tipped just waiting for it to come in. I was just too hot and cold with the devotion and missed right when I wasn't being aggressive. I was down between the Tour AD DI 6X, The New B-Series and this. I had the 6s but it wasn't for me, although it was the perfect fit for my Dad. I'm just looking for something I can consistently hit well. and get a nice launch in tournaments and for qualifying during school season. Fyi Mines going into A G30 Head
[/quote]

very intrested in this combo - as I'm considering to put the Isawa in a G30 head

Evnroll ER2

Played a round with it today and results were not good. That's not to say that the Isawa is not a good shaft, but its made for swingers rather than hitters. I have a very aggressive transition and my club fitter put me on a Kiyoshi White tipped 1" (stiff flex). My cousin took video of my swing and the bend of the shaft was much more noticeable compared to the Kiyoshi White. Ball flight was much higher as well as spin. I'm a very high spin type guy so the Isawa is definitely not for me. I'm going to play one more round again and as of right now, it doesnt fit me at all. I hate to say that cause it looks FANTASTIC with the Anser head, but if it's not getting results, then its not making it into the bag.

I played at my home course and I was about 20 yards back of where I'm usually playing when using the Kiyoshi White. I brought my Kiyoshi White with me and switched shafts during the middle of the round and it just felt a lot more stable (for people with very aggressive transitions). I think if you are a low spin/low launch person and you need a bit more spin or launch to get more carry and backspin, then this may be a good shaft for you. Feel wise, the tip feels very active and feels really good. Better than the White or the Kiyoshi Purple in my opinion.

I'm going to give it one more round, but as of right now, it's pretty much going to make it to the BST.

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1418518731' post='10589791']
Played a round with it today and results were not good. That's not to say that the Isawa is not a good shaft, but its made for swingers rather than hitters. I have a very aggressive transition and my club fitter put me on a Kiyoshi White tipped 1" (stiff flex). My cousin took video of my swing and the bend of the shaft was much more noticeable compared to the Kiyoshi White. Ball flight was much higher as well as spin. I'm a very high spin type guy so the Isawa is definitely not for me. I'm going to play one more round again and as of right now, it doesnt fit me at all. I hate to say that cause it looks FANTASTIC with the Anser head, but if it's not getting results, then its not making it into the bag.

I played at my home course and I was about 20 yards back of where I'm usually playing when using the Kiyoshi White. I brought my Kiyoshi White with me and switched shafts during the middle of the round and it just felt a lot more stable (for people with very aggressive transitions). I think if you are a low spin/low launch person and you need a bit more spin or launch to get more carry and backspin, then this may be a good shaft for you. Feel wise, the tip feels very active and feels really good. Better than the White or the Kiyoshi Purple in my opinion.

I'm going to give it one more round, but as of right now, it's pretty much going to make it to the BST.
[/quote]

Im looking for something with a litte more spin that's why I choose this . I've hit the white a couple times in the 75 (05) spec it never did a ton for me. I'm hoping for the best, but would you mind sharing your SS just for reference

PING G30 OBAN ISAWA
R9 TP
913 H- D+92
Ping S55 'Merica Edition
Vokey SM4 50 54 58
SC Newport 2 Notchback

[quote name='sms13232' timestamp='1418535073' post='10590675']

Im looking for something with a litte more spin that's why I choose this . I've hit the white a couple times in the 75 (05) spec it never did a ton for me. I'm hoping for the best, but would you mind sharing your SS just for reference
[/quote]

Gotcha. If it doesnt work out for you or spins too much, the Kiyoshi Purple would be a great option.

I'm around 103-108 in swing speed, verified in Club Champion in Rockville when I did a fitting for the Kiyoshi White. It was the shaft that consistently got me around 105. I tried other shafts like Veylix, Acrra, and the Black Tie and I was hovering just over 100 with those. Not sure why the difference, but the Kiyoshi just felt way better to me.

Good luck with the Isawa and let me know how it works out for you!

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Mizuno MCraft Type VI

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1418609166' post='10593995']
[/quote]

Gotcha. If it doesnt work out for you or spins too much, the Kiyoshi Purple would be a great option.

I'm around 103-108 in swing speed, verified in Club Champion in Rockville when I did a fitting for the Kiyoshi White. It was the shaft that consistently got me around 105. I tried other shafts like Veylix, Acrra, and the Black Tie and I was hovering just over 100 with those. Not sure why the difference, but the Kiyoshi just felt way better to me.

[/quote]

So I had the chance to play 9 with the shaft [i](i only got 3 swings with it)i [/i]its a very interesting shaft it almost reminds me of a fubuki, High launch big hang time , but no ballooning. I was missing it left (mostly due to swing issues) but it feels great even on miss hits. For me It felt like a kyoshi purple with a more active tip. I'll post more as I get to play more as well as more pics.

PING G30 OBAN ISAWA
R9 TP
913 H- D+92
Ping S55 'Merica Edition
Vokey SM4 50 54 58
SC Newport 2 Notchback

• 2 months later...

[quote name='sms13232' timestamp='1419911865' post='10658715']
[quote name='Boogaloo_Jones' timestamp='1418609166' post='10593995']
[/quote]

[/quote]

So I had the chance to play 9 with the shaft [i](i only got 3 swings with it)i [/i]its a very interesting shaft it almost reminds me of a fubuki, High launch big hang time , but no ballooning. I was missing it left (mostly due to swing issues) but it feels great even on miss hits. For me It felt like a kyoshi purple with a more active tip. I'll post more as I get to play more as well as more pics.
[/quote]

And some more time spent with it?

Evnroll ER2