Portable Launch Monitors in 2015

I have heard that Voice Caddie is launching(pardon the pun) a new portable launch monitor at the PGA show. Anyone heard of any rumors? I have looked at the ES14, but want something more like the Skytrak that actually measures those additional variables. Hoping something comes out in the $700-1,200 range. Technology is so good these days that I feel this will happen soon. Hoping VoiceCaddie delivers.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='christiansarran' timestamp='1421116521' post='10736417']
[quote name='j_king' timestamp='1421099426' post='10734383']
There's a trackman on eBay for a cool $9k!
[/quote]

Thats cheap for a trackman. I'll consider it ha!
[/quote]

There was one in the BST for something like $15-20k a few months back, I can't remember. Maybe a different model or something. I thought $9k wasn't bad either.

[quote name='christiansarran' timestamp='1421039851' post='10730671']
I have heard that Voice Caddie is launching(pardon the pun) a new portable launch monitor at the PGA show. Anyone heard of any rumors? I have looked at the ES14, but want something more like the Skytrak that actually measures those additional variables. Hoping something comes out in the $700-1,200 range. Technology is so good these days that I feel this will happen soon. Hoping VoiceCaddie delivers.
[/quote]

All I can find is the LC100 which is similar to the ES14 functionality wise but does not have an app. I agree, I'm hoping for something with more actual measurements rather than calculations. It's $279.00 so it might be worth a try. I have an ES12 now and it's usually within 5 yards of trackman numbers distance wise.

[quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1421164031' post='10738971']
[/quote]

All I can find is the LC100 which is similar to the ES14 functionality wise but does not have an app. I agree, I'm hoping for something with more actual measurements rather than calculations. It's $279.00 so it might be worth a try. I have an ES12 now and it's usually within 5 yards of trackman numbers distance wise.
[/quote]

Do you recommend the ES12 or 14? I really want to see my ballflight while hitting into a net in the garage, along with my spin, and ballspeed. I think ball flight, yardage and spin are what I am looking for the most out of one of these monitors. ARe there physical limitations of these devices: how much flight it needs to see, lights etc.

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR3 with Metaflex 5H shaft (currently testing the Proxima 6 stiff shaft)
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1421165708' post='10739135']
[quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1421164031' post='10738971']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Do you recommend the ES12 or 14? I really want to see my ballflight while hitting into a net in the garage, along with my spin, and ballspeed. I think ball flight, yardage and spin are what I am looking for the most out of one of these monitors. ARe there physical limitations of these devices: how much flight it needs to see, lights etc.
[/quote]

I think only the 14 measures spin.

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

I think with the ES14 the only thing that is measured is ball speed. The rest are calculations. The ball flight shown is only a graphic drawing but not the true ball flight. It's just drawn according the club you are using that you manually enter. I think spin rate is also calculated. That is why I didnt make the jump to the ES14. Am I incorrect or is that what everyone else has heard.

[quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1421170741' post='10739687']
I think with the ES14 the only thing that is measured is ball speed. The rest are calculations. The ball flight shown is only a graphic drawing but not the true ball flight. It's just drawn according the club you are using that you manually enter. I think spin rate is also calculated. That is why I didnt make the jump to the ES14. Am I incorrect or is that what everyone else has heard.
[/quote]

I believe the ES14 measures club head speed as well. Spin rate, launch angle, total distance are calculated. Seems to work best for better players as mishits or shots hooking or slicing don't pick up very well. I also have passed because of this, I think true spin rate would be helpful. Skytrak is high on my list right now.

[quote name='christiansarran' timestamp='1421173017' post='10739913']
[/quote]

I believe the ES14 measures club head speed as well. Spin rate, launch angle, total distance are calculated. Seems to work best for better players as mishits or shots hooking or slicing don't pick up very well. I also have passed because of this, I think true spin rate would be helpful. Skytrak is high on my list right now.
[/quote]

You are right, it does clubhead speed as well. I forgot that

[/quote]

[/quote]

Have you priced Skytrack? Does it measure rather than calculate? Their website is unclear.

[quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1421174837' post='10740103']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Have you priced Skytrack? Does it measure rather than calculate? Their website is unclear.
[/quote]

From what i have seen since its launch in October, it ranges from $1,600-$2,000 depending on if a sale going on. Doesn't look like any added subscriptions. It apparently a camera based monitor as opposed to a doppler radar. This video seems to explain how it works, but it seems that all the swing/ball variables are measured rather than calculated. I think what makes it less than other high end models is that the feedback on the screen is slightly delayed due to the cameras processing the information.

http://youtu.be/35LFV6akGWQ

[quote name='christiansarran' timestamp='1421184485' post='10741095']
[quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1421174837' post='10740103']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

From what i have seen since its launch in October, it ranges from $1,600-$2,000 depending on if a sale going on. Doesn't look like any added subscriptions. It apparently a camera based monitor as opposed to a doppler radar. This video seems to explain how it works, but it seems that all the swing/ball variables are measured rather than calculated. I think what makes it less than other high end models is that the feedback on the screen is slightly delayed due to the cameras processing the information.

http://youtu.be/35LFV6akGWQ
[/quote]

Damn you, I hadn't seen the system before. I think you just cost me $2000. Haha

Seems to me that any company proclaiming their accuracy would be willing to publish their error percentage/absolute range for every parameter measured. Since they don't, as opposed to companies like Foresight, I take their claims with a grain of salt.

The long and short of it is this. Unless you know what the maximum errors are in measuring ball speed, launch angle, azimuth and spin, any ball flight calculations are just educated guesses at best.

Just claiming that the machine is "highly accurate" doesn't cut it.

I think your point is valid about displaying the error. I think this unit would probably be best used indoors as Im not sure how the camera would pick up wind, elements or temperature. I'm not an engineer at all so I couldn't go into specifics, but based on the device measuring the spin, I think it will be EXTREMELY close if not right on the number when hitting indoors. It would be nice if this would work outdoors though. Maybe it does? Still saving up and hoping for something great in 2015.

[quote name='christiansarran' timestamp='1421266886' post='10746695']
I think your point is valid about displaying the error. I think this unit would probably be best used indoors as Im not sure how the camera would pick up wind, elements or temperature. I'm not an engineer at all so I couldn't go into specifics, but based on the device measuring the spin, I think it will be EXTREMELY close if not right on the number when hitting indoors. It would be nice if this would work outdoors though. Maybe it does? Still saving up and hoping for something great in 2015.
[/quote]No camera system measures atmospheric conditions. They are input, if you wish, into the ball ballistics computations.

The error I am talking about is the measurement error for the parameters being measured. This is really important since if there are even moderately large errors in any of these it really screws up the calculations.

The ball flight ballistics routines are not simple plug in the numbers into some equation and then get the answer. They are iterated many times during the flight of the ball. This means things may get multiplied by themselves several times.

As an example a 1% error ends up being about a 5% error if the value or computations that use this value, happen to be multiplied by themselves 5 times.

[quote name='wbond' timestamp='1421270513' post='10747055']
I have the skytrak and I would say it is very accurate. It would be nice if they would post there error percentage but from what I can tell, i think it's quite good. There are limitations with this though, so make sure you know what you are looking for before you buy.
[/quote]

What are the limitations that you have found?

I have the skytrak and I would say it is very accurate. It would be nice if they would post there error percentage but from what I can tell, i think it's quite good. There are limitations with this though, so make sure you know what you are looking for before you buy.
[/quote]

Can you go into more detail on what you feel are positives and negatives of Skytrak? Thanks!

[quote name='bk12' timestamp='1421382514' post='10755457']
I am anxiously awaiting for some folks to dump a Skytrak used. Very tempting, but a bit over what I can justify as something to play with on the range...here is to hoping for a $1K version.
[/quote]

Im with you on that. $1,000 and I'm all in.

[list]
[*]
[quote name='ronsc1985' timestamp='1421269018' post='10746909']
[/quote]No camera system measures atmospheric conditions. They are input, if you wish, into the ball ballistics computations.

The error I am talking about is the measurement error for the parameters being measured. This is really important since if there are even moderately large errors in any of these it really screws up the calculations.

The ball flight ballistics routines are not simple plug in the numbers into some equation and then get the answer. They are iterated many times during the flight of the ball. This means things may get multiplied by themselves several times.

As an example a 1% error ends up being about a 5% error if the value or computations that use this value, happen to be multiplied by themselves 5 times.
[/quote]
[/list]
From the Sky Trak website:
[b] Launch Data Accuracy[/b]
[list]
[*]Ball Speed: 0-200mph +/- 1mph
[*]Launch Angle: 0-55° +/- 1°
[*]Back Spin: 0-12,000rpm +/- 250rpm
[*]Side Spin: 0-4,000rpm +/- 250rpm
[*]Side Angle: 0-20° +/- 2°
[/list]
The tolerances that are actually measured are pretty tight, but every video I've watched including the website the calculated numbers, club head speed in particular don't make sense. I'm looking for something to use on the range and torn between giving this a shot or forking over 5K for an XI+.

Sorry, forgot about posting in here.
Positives-Very accurate and 1/3 price of base GC2. I have friends who have these and I would say it's quite comparable for accuracy. Ball flight shape, LA, spin all seem spot on. It has a laser dot to place ball, this is very helpful. Sometimes on GC2 you have to roll it around a bit for the green light to come on. They have closest to pin, target and long drive challenges. I mainly use either closest to pin or target. You set the distance and see how well you do. Has an alignment feature. Measures, ball speed, LA, back/side spin, side angle

Negatives-no sim play yet. Currently only compatible with later ipad versions. No putting yet. App on ipad is not "polished". Currently has an issue with the displayed distance on mid irons. The unit seems to measure it correctly but displays wrong distance. You can plug in values into another software and it gives you correct yardage. They had this same issue on short irons originally, that is now fixed with latest update, but it appears to have messed up mid irons.

This can pick up chips, I think i got down to 5yd chips. It also does pick up high LA shots. If you want really high LA, you move the ball a little forward of the red dot so it can pick it up. I think i've hit 45 LA, can't remember exactly how high I got up to.

With it's current shortcomings, i still think it was well worth the money. I bought on preorder so i got it for $1500. There is nothing else out there currently that I know of that can give you all this ball data info for this price. I believe most of the negatives will be corrected.
[quote name='Chief Illiniwek' timestamp='1421271457' post='10747133']
[/quote]

Can you go into more detail on what you feel are positives and negatives of Skytrak? Thanks!
[/quote]

If you are only looking for range than the XI+ is probably better if you don't mind the price. The skytrak needs to hit from same spot, so that can be an issue on grass. The divot flying around may mess with the skytrak reading as well, not sure on that one. Just note, if you do plan to use it inside, it requires a lot more room.
[quote name='f18sumday' timestamp='1421976897' post='10800707'][list]
[*][quote name='ronsc1985' timestamp='1421269018' post='10746909']

[/quote]
[/list]
From the Sky Trak website:
[b] Launch Data Accuracy[/b][list]
[*]Ball Speed: 0-200mph +/- 1mph
[*]Launch Angle: 0-55° +/- 1°
[*]Back Spin: 0-12,000rpm +/- 250rpm
[*]Side Spin: 0-4,000rpm +/- 250rpm
[*]Side Angle: 0-20° +/- 2°
[/list]
The tolerances that are actually measured are pretty tight, but every video I've watched including the website the calculated numbers, club head speed in particular don't make sense. I'm looking for something to use on the range and torn between giving this a shot or forking over 5K for an XI+.
[/quote]