2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

I'VE JUST GOTTA VENT

all the players that cuss on tv... get fined... so its not like they get a free pass.

What's the fine? $1,000 maybe? Even if were $10,000, these guys carry that much in their watch pocket. When you're making as much as $50,000 per week (the low end players) a fine like this is chump change.

actually it is quite a bit for some of the not so high ranked golfers. they still pay for their flights rooms and food and all that and that runs around 2500 a week. then if they dont make the cut they actually lost money. Also since they are playing horrible and miss the cut and one of them drops a couple F bombs like I do my self in my highschool tournaments, they are down quite a bit of money.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is just stupid, if someone wants to say a "naughty word" then who cares. If TV doesnt want the audience hearing it then they can do something about it like make it a delay, if the PGA doesnt want someone hearing it they can fine the player, if you dont wanna hear it then dont go to an event. The idea of fining someone 50 grand for saying a bad word is outrageous

This is just stupid, if someone wants to say a "naughty word" then who cares. If TV doesnt want the audience hearing it then they can do something about it like make it a delay, if the PGA doesnt want someone hearing it they can fine the player, if you dont wanna hear it then dont go to an event. The idea of fining someone 50 grand for saying a bad word is outrageous

They could just fire them... that's what happens to me at my job if I use "naughty" words...

Just a couple of little things that have been bothering me about the coverage of golf on TV and the conduct of some of the players. I'm no holy-roller but it seems to me that his highness (Tiger) could clean up his filthy mouth just a little bit. He knows that the camera is going to be on him on virtually every shot, usually a close up if possible, and yet after every single shot (seemingly) you can easily see the "f*&$", and "g%&-d&@* it". Regular as clockwork--swing and expletive deleted. Limited vocabulary I guess. This guy seems to be given a pass no matter what, but it looks to me like he could show a little more class, and consideration of his audience. A while back, Sergio caught hell for spitting in the cup, yet at the Masters (and others also) Tiger is seen hawking up great globs of stuff and shooting it everywhere. Is it only disgusting when somebody else does it? Do we have double standards, or worse? Vent over.

I agree with Sergio spitting in the cup, absolutely unacceptable!

However, I completely disagree with your comments on his "highness"(your words) and his "filthy mouth". We're talking about competitive golf at it's the highest level with the best players in the world. Who happen to have mics on them at ALL times. A couple of cuss words under his breath? As if he shouted them at the top of his lungs. Please... ;) jmo

Well you have to realize a few things first.

These guys are playing for millions of dollars. Not saying that one shot is going to destroy the entire round and that they should just go crazy when they have a bad shot, but you have to appreciate the fact that they're playing very seriously and have a very high stress level during some of the matches. Also, although to us they are basically our role models, they themselves seem like normal people to themselves because they're used to it, thus making it a lot easier to let out a swear or something every once in a while.

And, you can't forget the fact that swearing really means nothing whatsoever, as 95% of all golfers (yeah I just pulled that number out of clouds, but I'm sure it's around there) swear regularly on the golf course, between about 5-30 times per round. Nevertheless, I actually watch quite a bit of televised golf, and never really notice them swearing unless I really try to look for it, in which case you would have to be an accomplished lip reader to actually see what they're saying. Sorry, but I just don't think swearing is that big of a deal; obviously throwing clubs and all that is a different story, but just swearing under your breath really isn't an issue.

EDIT:

However, I completely disagree with your comments on his "highness"(your words) and his "filthy mouth". We're talking about competitive golf at it's the highest level with the best players in the world. Who happen to have mics on them at ALL times. A couple of cuss words under his breath? As if he shouted them at the top of his lungs. Please... rolleyes.gif jmo

Do the players really have mics on them at all times? I've never seen that, why would they have mics on them?

Well you have to realize a few things first.

These guys are playing for millions of dollars. Not saying that one shot is going to destroy the entire round and that they should just go crazy when they have a bad shot, but you have to appreciate the fact that they're playing very seriously and have a very high stress level during some of the matches. Also, although to us they are basically our role models, they themselves seem like normal people to themselves because they're used to it, thus making it a lot easier to let out a swear or something every once in a while.

And, you can't forget the fact that swearing really means nothing whatsoever, as 95% of all golfers (yeah I just pulled that number out of clouds, but I'm sure it's around there) swear regularly on the golf course, between about 5-30 times per round. Nevertheless, I actually watch quite a bit of televised golf, and never really notice them swearing unless I really try to look for it, in which case you would have to be an accomplished lip reader to actually see what they're saying. Sorry, but I just don't think swearing is that big of a deal; obviously throwing clubs and all that is a different story, but just swearing under your breath really isn't an issue.

EDIT:

However, I completely disagree with your comments on his "highness"(your words) and his "filthy mouth". We're talking about competitive golf at it's the highest level with the best players in the world. Who happen to have mics on them at ALL times. A couple of cuss words under his breath? As if he shouted them at the top of his lungs. Please... rolleyes.gif jmo

Do the players really have mics on them at all times? I've never seen that, why would they have mics on them?

The mics aren't actually on them most times, but there is a camera and a mic following Tiger at almost all times on the course. Lately they've even been listening in on player-caddy conversation. I like it, but people have to realize these are real live players in competition, not wind up figures or actors in a movie.

Its kind of a hard call for me. The NFL/NBA do the "live mic" thing now and again. The players of course, know they're being mic'd/recorded.

So, why can't the pro golfers bite their tongues just a bit, especially on the weekend when they know the cameras and mics are right there with them when they're in the hunt. At the same time, I also think a 5 or 10 second delay for a t.v. show is probably pretty easy. . .

But then again, I'm in my 30's, I curse quite a bit. I don't have any kids. . .if I hit a bad shot, I'm cursing up a storm. So who the **** cares!!!

That spitting in the cup thing has to go though.

Its kind of a hard call for me. The NFL/NBA do the "live mic" thing now and again. The players of course, know they're being mic'd/recorded.

So, why can't the pro golfers bite their tongues just a bit, especially on the weekend when they know the cameras and mics are right there with them when they're in the hunt. At the same time, I also think a 5 or 10 second delay for a t.v. show is probably pretty easy. . .

But then again, I'm in my 30's, I curse quite a bit. I don't have any kids. . .if I hit a bad shot, I'm cursing up a storm. So who the **** cares!!!

That spitting in the cup thing has to go though.

Because it isn't a special event; the cameras are there on every hole, every weekend. For Tiger and other top tier players there is even a walking cameraman following them around the course at all times. For a few holes here and there, I'm sure they would bite their tongue. Since it is all the time it is easy to forget they are there and most players have more to worry about then censoring themselves.