2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

I'VE JUST GOTTA VENT

filth and foul from players
Just a couple of little things that have been bothering me about the coverage of golf on TV and the conduct of some of the players. I'm no holy-roller but it seems to me that his highness (Tiger) could clean up his filthy mouth just a little bit. He knows that the camera is going to be on him on virtually every shot, usually a close up if possible, and yet after every single shot (seemingly) you can easily see the "f*&$", and "g%&-d&@* it". Regular as clockwork--swing and expletive deleted. Limited vocabulary I guess. This guy seems to be given a pass no matter what, but it looks to me like he could show a little more class, and consideration of his audience. A while back, Sergio caught hell for spitting in the cup, yet at the Masters (and others also) Tiger is seen hawking up great globs of stuff and shooting it everywhere. Is it only disgusting when somebody else does it? Do we have double standards, or worse? Vent over.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And guess what, today I saw the results of this behavoir. I go to the range and some kid is wearing the latest TM/Adidas attire, leather staff bag and even plaid pants. Had an R7staff bag with his name on it.He's got some older guy, his coach I guess. If he's a staffer, don't ask me why he's over there hitting a bunch of cracked Top-Flites.

Anyway, there is a wall and a plexiglass window between us and he is swearing up a storm and arguing with the old guy very loudly. I tried to ignore it but then a loud "F-that!!" while I'm in my transition and I top my 3W. I gave them both a look, picked up my stuff and waited till he was in mid-swing and slammed the booth door hard.

He'll learn his lesson sooner or later. I moved way over to the left, like 200yds. in the grass area and I seriously thought about putting a couple nice hard low fades with my driver over that way. Had there not been other people I most definitely would have.

And guess what, today I saw the results of this behavoir. I go to the range and some kid is wearing the latest TM/Adidas attire, leather staff bag and even plaid pants. Had an R7staff bag with his name on it.He's got some older guy, his coach I guess. If he's a staffer, don't ask me why he's over there hitting a bunch of cracked Top-Flites.

Anyway, there is a wall and a plexiglass window between us and he is swearing up a storm and arguing with the old guy very loudly. I tried to ignore it but then a loud "F-that!!" while I'm in my transition and I top my 3W. I gave them both a look, picked up my stuff and waited till he was in mid-swing and slammed the booth door hard.

He'll learn his lesson sooner or later. I moved way over to the left, like 200yds. in the grass area and I seriously thought about putting a couple nice hard low fades with my driver over that way. Had there not been other people I most definitely would have.

And that is because Tiger is dropping curse words? Try parenting. If you would seriously consider smoking him with a golf ball are you any better than him? Point it in the heat of the moment things like that are bound to happen. Golf is the most accessible sport in the world where the mics are the closest etc. It is going to occur and it's not a big deal.

all the tour players not just tiger get like that...and also sergio spit in the cup tiger...i guess...had a cold or something and any spitting was off the green i dont think this is a vent i think its a tiger bash

I wouldn't consider it Tiger bashing, because none of the stuff that was said is made up, and the original poster wasn't just throwing out garbage.

All of the pro's are having a problem with the use of foul language. The issue at hand, is that Tiger lives under a microscope when on TV. Every shot, every movement that he makes is video taped. That is what happens when you are the #1 player in the world. I don't care if he is getting angry at himself or angry and other things, using the language that he does, isn't very appropriate. Some people may argue this point, but it would be similar to me standing on the driving range and cussing and yelling, because I was mad at myself for not doing something right. Not something that you want to be around or for your kids to be around. Just because you apologize and then give a kid a ball or glove doesnt' make it any better.

There is a double standard at the Master's though. Two commentators have been banned from broadcasting for making comments that were not taken well by the members. Gary McCord was banned for saying that the greens got a bikini wax before the tournament. This obviously in regard to the crazy speed that they run. Another commentator was banned because he referred to the gallery as a "mob". Yet, Tiger can cuss and moan yet each year he gets invited back, because he makes the club millions upon millions of dollars. It is all about double standards.

And that is because Tiger is dropping curse words? Try parenting. If you would seriously consider smoking him with a golf ball are you any better than him? Point it in the heat of the moment things like that are bound to happen. Golf is the most accessible sport in the world where the mics are the closest etc. It is going to occur and it's not a big deal.

You know there is always some kid ( or adult) who takes themselves to seriously about sports or anything else. It's all about winning not how you get there. I think Tiger and others who perform at a very high level spawn those who want to imitate them. Some of those heroes are good role models and some are not.

Talk bout parenting, I remember a very pivitol moment with my Dad after a Saturday round at our club on the way home. I was about 17 and would play with him and his buddies in their Saturday morning game and then he and I would play on Sunday ourselves. My Dad, being the kind of guy he was, would not even let me on a course by myself until he was convinced I knew all of the proper "golf etiquette" needed on the course to act right.

Well by then I was a high single digit handicapper and would get all pissed if I hit a bad shot or, heaven forbid, bogey a hole. I knew not to through tantrums or clubs in his presence but I would just clam up and act mad. On the way home he told me he thought I should give up golf and consider another sport. I said are you kidding, I love golf! He said, well your not having any fun and it is a game. Even though I was a reasonably decent player at that age it was clear my livelihood would need to come from somethinig other than my golf skills.

He said if I was going to play and enjoy this game for the rest of my life I needed to lighten up and accept the bad shots and scores that would surely come and work on being a better golf partner to those I played with.

That discussion happen 35 years ago and while I still can get pissed when I do something stupid on the golf course, I quit letting it bother me long ago.

I appreciate that he gave me the right perspective. Maybe other parents should do more of the same. I now have a 5 year old grandson who shows interest in golf and he WILL learn to have fun first.

Titleist TSR2 10* Hzrdus Red
Titleist TS2 15* Tensei AV Blue 
Titleist TS2 18* Tensei AV Blue
Titleist Hybrid (816) 23* Basarra HL 
Titleist AP1 718 5-GW 48Tensei Red
Vokey 52.08, 56.10 SM9
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35”
Tiltleist 14 Hybrid
Titleist Pro V1

What surprises me is that TV zooms in on the player after they hit a bad shot. You think they would do something different once in a while.

You are right,,the TV networks are partially to blame,,but they would say "Don't shoot the messenger". However, the networks have a responsibility and I'm certain that after the infamous Janet Jackson Super Bowl nipple-ripple that CBS is on a digital delay of at least 5-7 seconds.

Something's gotta give,,sooner or later.

What surprises me is that TV zooms in on the player after they hit a bad shot. You think they would do something different once in a while.

This is what I found myself wondering...YEARS ago. Shoot, I don't get to watch as much golf on TV as I'd like, but even I know which players are stoic in their anger, and who is about to erupt into a stream of obscenities. If the networks want to catch the club-slamming on tape, that's on them. We all know everyone loves to watch hockey fights or nascar crashes, but what's wrong with cutting away to the commentators' audio though? :busted2:

And being a competitor is not necessarily mutually exclusive with being a pouty potty-mouth. Plenty of competitors do just fine by acting as an adult. For all this talk about golf being a gentlemen's game, maybe it's time to implement an unsportmanlike conduct penalty.

:rolleyes:

:hi:

Just a bit of a vent here, so I apologize in advance.

Why is it that so many here want to jump on the soapbox and take a stand on foul language? I have a suggestion, being the wonderful parents and upstanding, contributing citizens that you are, TURN OFF THE TELEVISION, or just the sound.

I have played many sports throughout my life, hockey at the collegiate level. Foul language has been a part of all of them. I am not stating that it is correct, or that we should use it liberally in every day life, but when you add competition and passion, the language seems to flow.

I do appreciate that golf is a gentlemanly game, but let's cut the Brady Bunch fantasy. We have far greater challenges as a society and as parents than foul language in the throws of competition. For example, why is it that I see neighbors or family's that we know make a Huge deal if their child says "stupid", but find it perfectly OK if the kid throws a whining fit or cracks another youngster on top of the head when they don't get the toy that they want?

Again, I don't condone foul language, but let's give it a rest and move on.

Sorry for the rant.

Why is it that so many here want to jump on the soapbox and take a stand on foul language? I have a suggestion, being the wonderful parents and upstanding, contributing citizens that you are, TURN OFF THE TELEVISION, or just the sound.

I have played many sports throughout my life, hockey at the collegiate level. Foul language has been a part of all of them. I am not stating that it is correct, or that we should use it liberally in every day life, but when you add competition and passion, the language seems to flow.

I do appreciate that golf is a gentlemanly game, but let's cut the Brady Bunch fantasy. We have far greater challenges as a society and as parents than foul language in the throws of competition. For example, why is it that I see neighbors or family's that we know make a Huge deal if their child says "stupid", but find it perfectly OK if the kid throws a whining fit or cracks another youngster on top of the head when they don't get the toy that they want?

Sorry for the rant.

Well said! :rolleyes:

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

Sorry for the rant.

I agree 100%.

Get over it.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

all the players that cuss on tv... get fined... so its not like they get a free pass.

What's the fine? $1,000 maybe? Even if were $10,000, these guys carry that much in their watch pocket. When you're making as much as $50,000 per week (the low end players) a fine like this is chump change.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

I'll admit that I used to have a huge problem with my language on the course along with my temper and slamming my club. I still have moments when I do it now, but nothing like I used to do. Now, in no way am I a pro or on TV, but I have started to realize that my attitude can be seen or heard from far away and if kids see me doing this then that makes me partly responsible if they pick up the habit.

I have since realized that my foul mouth and tirades are uncalled for and need to be eliminated. I am hoping eventually I can hit bad shot and not get so mad about it.

Sorry for the rant.

Couldn't agree more. I'm thinking that some of the people on this board that are anti-cursing have never played in a competitive, pressurized, sporting environment. Rec league softball doesn't count. Your club championship doesn't count. I've played collegiate baseball for 2 years. In this world, if you're not eating others, others will eat you. Competition is cut throat.

• 1 year later...

I simply cannot imagine pulling off some clutch shot with millions on the line, never mind not swearing if I blew it. I think it's up to the tv coverage to not show it. This is an issue in **all** pro sports.

Then again, when they show the old black and white coverage of tournaments/matches from say the early '50's...they get right in on those guys, and they **never** swear or even look pissed. But then yet again...they probably had at most a couple thousand on the line rather than a couple mil.

Part of it has got to be our evolving culture though. Unfortunate in terms of casual sewer mouth, but also a good thing in terms of a generally less repressive attitudes all around (EDIT: ok, less repressive in many, but not all, aspects...I'd forgotten about that STUPID-a** Janet Jackson thing).

ok maybe not my boss lol, i was joking though i am actually a polite person, with a bold sense of humor

Ping G425 Max 9*

Ping G425 Max 14.5*

Ping G425 17* & 19*

Titleist T100 4-6

Titleist 620MB 7-PW

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* & 58*

Odyssey White Hot OG 7s

Sun Mountain Mid Stripe

I have a "pouty potty mouth" I admit it. I do get upset occasionally when i hit bad shots. I also occasionally swear when i hit bad shots. I played a course yesterday and on the 4th hole I hit into my 3rd hazard in a row, and i even dropped the "c" word. All of this occurs in compettitive golf, for me.

When i play with friends, or with my wife, and its just about having a little fun....i dont care as much, and my anger at bad shots can be dealt with by a little self deprecation. After all .....im not that good. I think that the outlet of swearing can be helpful, and as long as Tiger, or anyone else for that matter is being overheard during a compettitive round saying anything at all....i dont care. now if he starts an interview with an f-bomb then i might be startled.

This is what I found myself wondering...YEARS ago. Shoot, I don't get to watch as much golf on TV as I'd like, but even I know which players are stoic in their anger, and who is about to erupt into a stream of obscenities. If the networks want to catch the club-slamming on tape, that's on them. We all know everyone loves to watch hockey fights or nascar crashes, but what's wrong with cutting away to the commentators' audio though? :good:

And being a competitor is not necessarily mutually exclusive with being a pouty potty-mouth. Plenty of competitors do just fine by acting as an adult. For all this talk about golf being a gentlemen's game, maybe it's time to implement an unsportmanlike conduct penalty.

;)

I agree. I have known players playing sports at very high levels who never utter a swear word. Probably more symptom of society than a necessity.

By the way, I much prefer college hockey over pro hockey because I don't like the fighting. Just my opinion.

all the tour players not just tiger get like that...and also sergio spit in the cup tiger...i guess...had a cold or something and any spitting was off the green i dont think this is a vent i think its a tiger bash

I wouldn't consider it Tiger bashing, because none of the stuff that was said is made up, and the original poster wasn't just throwing out garbage.

All of the pro's are having a problem with the use of foul language. The issue at hand, is that Tiger lives under a microscope when on TV. Every shot, every movement that he makes is video taped. That is what happens when you are the #1 player in the world. I don't care if he is getting angry at himself or angry and other things, using the language that he does, isn't very appropriate. Some people may argue this point, but it would be similar to me standing on the driving range and cussing and yelling, because I was mad at myself for not doing something right. Not something that you want to be around or for your kids to be around. Just because you apologize and then give a kid a ball or glove doesnt' make it any better.

There is a double standard at the Master's though. Two commentators have been banned from broadcasting for making comments that were not taken well by the members. Gary McCord was banned for saying that the greens got a bikini wax before the tournament. This obviously in regard to the crazy speed that they run. Another commentator was banned because he referred to the gallery as a "mob". Yet, Tiger can cuss and moan yet each year he gets invited back, because he makes the club millions upon millions of dollars. It is all about double standards.

It is a commentator's job to make on air comments, and as professional commentators it is expected that their comments will be appropriate to the venue. Players are not on air commentators, even if the networks have decided to put a mike in close on every shot.

While swearing isn't necessary it is also not a big deal. If you don't want your kids to swear then try parenting. You are still their biggest influence - assuming you are doing your job. When Tiger swears on television that is a teachable moment. So teach.

Unless I misunderstood a few things, the Master's does not make much (relatively speaking) for Augusta National. Notice how few commercials there are? Some years Augusta has paid so there are NO commercial breaks. No commercials, no money. Ticket sales and on course goodies make them money, but it is not millions. Besides, it is unlikely that there is much real concern for making money among the membership...

This is what I found myself wondering...YEARS ago. Shoot, I don't get to watch as much golf on TV as I'd like, but even I know which players are stoic in their anger, and who is about to erupt into a stream of obscenities. If the networks want to catch the club-slamming on tape, that's on them. We all know everyone loves to watch hockey fights or nascar crashes, but what's wrong with cutting away to the commentators' audio though? :good:

;)

I agree. I have known players playing sports at very high levels who never utter a swear word. Probably more symptom of society than a necessity.

By the way, I much prefer college hockey over pro hockey because I don't like the fighting. Just my opinion.

It is a commentator's job to make on air comments, and as professional commentators it is expected that their comments will be appropriate to the venue. Players are not on air commentators, even if the networks have decided to put a mike in close on every shot.

While swearing isn't necessary it is also not a big deal. If you don't want your kids to swear then try parenting. You are still their biggest influence - assuming you are doing your job. When Tiger swears on television that is a teachable moment. So teach.

Unless I misunderstood a few things, the Master's does not make much (relatively speaking) for Augusta National. Notice how few commercials there are? Some years Augusta has paid so there are NO commercial breaks. No commercials, no money. Ticket sales and on course goodies make them money, but it is not millions. Besides, it is unlikely that there is much real concern for making money among the membership...

What's so controvertial about saying "bikini wax"??? That is funny. Shoot, you don't even have to be undressed for that (well, unless...he didn't say brazillian bikini wax, did he?).

;)

What's so controvertial about saying "bikini wax"??? That is funny. Shoot, you don't even have to be undressed for that (well, unless...he didn't say brazillian bikini wax, did he?).

I didn't say the comments were controversial. I think it's funny too. Unfortunately, I'm not yet a member at Augusta.