2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Miura CB57 vs. Baby Blade

redhead

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'll answer....

I tested a 6 iron Baby Blade side by side with a 6 iron Tournament Blade for about 2-3 weeks before I broke down and bought the Tournament Blades.

Standing on a flat driving range the BB really is a great club to hit. But it is surely small.

There is anoher thread on here that compares the BB size vs TB size and it does a pretty good job of explaining that the BB isn't really that much smaller than the TB but I'm telling you, Man....those things are small. I had visions of me playing in a tournament with a hanging lie and a 4 iron in my hand with those BBs and bought the TBs. I played with them for almost 3 years and bought the CB57 about a month ago.

I haven't had a chance to hit them yet because it's still winter weather up here.

If you're thinking about buying a full set of Miura then you know what kind of cash you're about to drop.

My suggestion, as it has been for several years on this comparrison subject, is to buy a 6 or 7 iron of each set made up to your specs and try them out for a few weeks. When you order the remainder of the set your clubmaker might buy the other one back or you can always 'Bay it or BST.

You're won't lose that much and you won't be relying on an uninformed opinion from a hack like me.

PS: Those BBs are small.....

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1426521376' post='11153269']
I guess I'll answer....

I tested a 6 iron Baby Blade side by side with a 6 iron Tournament Blade for about 2-3 weeks before I broke down and bought the Tournament Blades.

Standing on a flat driving range the BB really is a great club to hit. But it is surely small.

There is anoher thread on here that compares the BB size vs TB size and it does a pretty good job of explaining that the BB isn't really that much smaller than the TB but I'm telling you, Man....those things are small. I had visions of me playing in a tournament with a hanging lie and a 4 iron in my hand with those BBs and bought the TBs. I played with them for almost 3 years and bought the CB57 about a month ago.

I haven't had a chance to hit them yet because it's still winter weather up here.

If you're thinking about buying a full set of Miura then you know what kind of cash you're about to drop.

My suggestion, as it has been for several years on this comparrison subject, is to buy a 6 or 7 iron of each set made up to your specs and try them out for a few weeks. When you order the remainder of the set your clubmaker might buy the other one back or you can always 'Bay it or BST.

You're won't lose that much and you won't be relying on an uninformed opinion from a hack like me.

PS: Those BBs are small.....
[/quote]
+1 !
That's some of the best advice you are ever going to receive .
The BBs and the. 57s are both a part of the 1957 series of Miura clubs but that's where the similarities end !
I've hit them both . The BBs are beautiful and when you hit them right in the sweet spot it's phenomenal but if you don't ouch !
You gotta really have game to game them !
The 57s are a lot more approachable . If you were to compare them with a Miura blade that you build a combo set or try to decide which'll suit you best then it would probably be the MB001 .
Demo the irons that you think you want extensively before you finalise your decision .
Good luck .

Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
Yamada Shogun

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1426551027' post='11156335']
Im assuming that you haven't seen them in person based on the question of comparison. You really need to see the baby blade and cavity back in person to believe the radical differences.

Forged, satin, and part of the 1957 family is all the similarities you would care to find.

Polar opposition.
[/quote]

I spent a couple of hours visiting Muira's only Oregon distributor today. Frankly, I was surprised by how [i]small[/i] the differences are between Miura's muscle-back blades, in looks, in performance, and in feel. So much so I had a difficult time deciding which I preferred. Yes, the 'baby' blades are a smidge smaller than their other two, but only a smidge, certainly not particularly noticeable when viewed alone. In size I bet they're within a millimeter of my old 1969 Haig Ultras, the clubs I played my best golf with. All three are quite different from the CB57 of course, just not each other. In the end I selected the 'baby' blades simply because they'll cut through long grass easier (a place I've been known to occasionally visit with my drives).

I bought the baby blades on a whim, couldn't be happier. They are somewhere between not much smaller than my mp14s and pretty freaking small clubs, if that makes sense to you. The long irons are demanding. Let me put it this way, I have gamed my Vega MBs the last couple of rounds(not exactly considered game improvement), and I was just striping the vega 3,4 and 5 irons........to be able to nut the BB 4 iron consistently like that is something I just don't currently have in the bag being honest with myself.....and I was throwing darts at the range last night with the bb 6, but past 5 the BBs are like doctorate level ballstriking. Good thing my set is only 4-pw, I would love to see the 3 and 2 in this set......

So if you are not long with your irons, then that may be something to consider. I love having a 7-pw BB in my hand all round, but if it was a 4-7 that would be a different story...

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1427633048' post='11238831']
The BB's are about the only iron I would put a hdcp bracket on. While some days I play to a 10, I don't let that fool my psyche into thinking that I'm a good ball striker.

BB's are reserved for the single digit imo.
[/quote]

Well, no, I disagree. They're wonderful irons to use to improve your game, they tell you where your miss is. Moreover, they're surprisingly forgiving, you don't have to pure every shot to get an acceptable result, all that mass in a small area has benefits.

[quote name='igolf8' timestamp='1428350893' post='11296561']
I have tried baby blades, cb57, MB-001, TB, and cb501. I actually found baby blades are easier to hit among all. I know it sounds weird. But the following article might explain it.

[url="http://abc7news.com/archive/9014991/"]http://abc7news.com/archive/9014991/[/url]
[/quote]

Yes

[quote name='redhead' timestamp='1428335476' post='11294443']
[quote name='craniac76' timestamp='1428260321' post='11288849']
Regarding the baby blade, which Miura giken model is similar to the baby blades? I have not seen anything from Miura Giken with the baby blades name....
[/quote]

I was curious with this as well.
[/quote]

Right here. These bad boys are the same size and shape (slightly different grind) as the BB's:
http://www.miuragiken.com/products/miuraism/sb-01/index.html

[quote name='MizzyMan' timestamp='1428422468' post='11303155']
Regarding the baby blade, which Miura giken model is similar to the baby blades? I have not seen anything from Miura Giken with the baby blades name....
[/quote]

[/quote]

Right here. These bad boys are the same size and shape (slightly different grind) as the BB's:
[url="http://www.miuragiken.com/products/miuraism/sb-01/index.html"]http://www.miuragike...b-01/index.html[/url]
[/quote]

Cheers!
Couldn't find one like that on Rakuten though...

[quote name='redhead' timestamp='1428451658' post='11307153']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[url="http://www.miuragiken.com/products/miuraism/sb-01/index.html"]http://www.miuragike...b-01/index.html[/url]
[/quote]

Cheers!
[/quote]

because the cost is too high to be sold online....

[quote name='craniac76' timestamp='1428485175' post='11309617']
[quote name='redhead' timestamp='1428451658' post='11307153']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Cheers!
[/quote]

because the cost is too high to be sold online....
[/quote]

It's probably because they're isms instead of regular Gikens...

• 10 months later...

The BB's are about the only iron I would put a hdcp bracket on. While some days I play to a 10, I don't let that fool my psyche into thinking that I'm a good ball striker.

BB's are reserved for the single digit imo.

I can't help but agree. I don't think there is any question that the BB's are pretty amazing. But, in terms of scoring consistently, they are pretty amazing only for those playing in the vicinity of scratch or better.

As you implied, our psyches can talk us into almost anything, but it is our egos that usually lead to our eventual downfall.

But, the fact remains that it only takes one bad shot to ruin an otherwise great round. That is why nobody on tour plays baby blades and likely never will. The goal is to swing the club that will optimize the chance of success while simultaneously minimizing the chance of failure. That is why cb's are so prevalent on today's tours. It isn't about the good swings, it's about the bad swings.

Saying, "I play BB's because I simply love them and will live with the associated penalties" is one thing. Saying, "I play BB's because they enable me to score better" isn't founded in logic or physics.

Years ago I played with an LPGA player and she said, "I occasionally do practice rounds with a set of MP-33's to help me perfect my swing and ball contact but I would never play a tournament with them." I always thought that was a pretty rational philosophy.

Spoiler

Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 44.5" D3

Ai Smoke Ti 340 Mini 13.5 Denali Blue R

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4 KBS Tour Lite 100 S, Srixon ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, WW 56 V & 60 V

L.A.B. ZF3 35" 69* w/2* Pistol Grip

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

I play 5-P in Baby Blades and love it.

I started with 4-P but that 4 iron was a tough animal to conquer. I used to be a stud with the 2 iron back in the day circa 2001-2005, but that Baby Blade 4 iron was tough.

So, I'm currently standing at 5-P, and I hit the 5 well, but with the introduction of the Apex 5H hybrid, I feel I may be cheating soon.

Baby Blade 6-P going NOWHERE. Joe Kwok is actually building me a custom, handground, 52* to blend into my Baby Blade set right now.

• 2 months later...

Sooo....for those interested, I should have an interesting comparison for all of you shortly. I currently play Mizuno MP4 irons. From a logical/scoring standpoint I would be well-advised to play something more forgiving but, alas, I have a purist streak that is willing to give up 2-3 strokes per round in order to enjoy the purist sensation of playing quality blades. Nonetheless, I recently picked up a set of CB57 heads (which I expect will be my daily gamers) because I hear they have the solid Miura blade feel with a bit of foregiveness. That said, I ALSO just picked up a set of baby blades. These probably have no business being anywhere near my bag but I'm an equipment geek and I was just too curious to resist trying these. My guess is that I'll use the Baby Blades when on vacation in Florida (where it's more about beer and fun than scoring well) and use the CB57's as my usual gamers. The MP4's (which I have loved) are currently for sale, but once Baby Blades get here, I should be able to do an interesting in-hand photo comparison of the CB57's, the MP4's (i.e. a "normal" blade) and the Baby Blades.

Oh, and the BB set I picked up came with a 2-iron....talk about terrifying! Pretty sure I'll never hit that on course, but might use it to butter my toast.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 (9*), Shaft TBD

3W: Titleist TSi2 (15*) OR TSi3 (15*), Shaft TBD

5W: Titleist TSi2 (18*), Shaft TBD

4i-PW: Miura MB101, KBS C-Taper 130X (Parallel)

52*:  Miura Milled Tour Wedge, KBS C-Taper 130X (Parallel)

56*:  Miura Milled Tour Wedge, DG S300 (Parallel)

60*:  Miura Milled Tour Wedge, DG S300 (Parallel) 

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Newport, Teryllium T22

When you want to sell the 2 and 3 irons pm me :)

Ok, I have now had the small blades for a while and this has come back up. I have gotten better the last year as well, or at least consistently lower and joining a summer club membership has me playing really well after a month because I play and practice more. I still make egregious tee and chipping mistakes, and I am good for 1 maybe 2, but hopefully none bad iron misses in a round. When I say bad, I mean it doesn't matter what tech is in my hands, that was the shot a 90s golfer makes. My current problem is that I seem to have 4-6 of those a round, and I am probably playing to a 6 right now. So that is a brief rundown on me currently.

I am not around scratch, I feel like I should be, I feel like I can be, I feel like I will be, but I KNOW I am currently pretty damn far away no matter how close it seems. I truly believe I have the best chance at my goals with the baby blades as I would anything else. I have bought and sold various sets since having them and they don't just stay in the bag, they make me hate everything else. I am surprised by the hanging lie comments and all that in the sense that because I love these irons from creative lies. Last weekend I had a weird lie, some trees and long story short I hit I big slicing 3/4 8 iron around the trees 135 that almost hit the stick, like I saw it and stepped up and so excited I got it to turn right so much and it was total confidence in the shot and iron behind it. Of course it also could have been a bogey or hit a tree or whatever, but after a few months of the baby blades, they feel like an extension of your hand. From the fairway, they go straight. Sounds stupid but this is the most accurate set of irons I have hit. Yes I have weak drifting small push fades, and pulled hooks but that was my hands not doing their job, and in general, they find GIRs like no other and the distance control is outstanding. In my last 2 rounds, I used a 5 iron to make a green in 2 from 210 all out with a helping breeze, and to make a green from 165 into a hard wind with a 3/4 knock down thingy. To me, these are versatile and true irons.

Fwiw, my experience with them is that my bad swings are so bad it doesn't matter. Could spieth have not gone in the water twice if he had a more forgiving iron and wedge? Exactly. So I am working on not making those swings, but that still leaves 16 other approach swings with good contact. Of those, how many have bad face/angle? Not the irons fault, and can't buy tech to fix face and angle right? But the good shots...those need to be accurate and close. So if you are not scratch, and not some pro type, but out of 18 approaches can give yourself say 4-6 realistic runs at birdie inside 20 ft.....out of rounds that avg 8-12 greens, those are accurate irons in my book.

Also, the size is only weird for a week or two, that is it. You spend a week at the range a few times and that is gone.

I dunno, I just know you don't need to be scratch to game them with confidence. I think to game them 100% without reservations you do need to be a consistent contact striker, and you do need to be someone who has experience playing blades so that the little things are a non issue. Golf is so mental, if you are not looking down at it thinking this is going to do exactly what I just saw in my mind, it doesn't matter what the club or tech or lack of tech, it isn't going to work. So I would say if after a week or 2, you are not comfortable with them, then they probably are something you never will be comfortable with.

I play the Miuraism SB02 7-PW and SC01 3-6.....The Miuraisms are slightly smaller than the MP4s which was one of my favorite irons but i like change. In terms of forgiveness, i would say it is the grind that is not forgiving.......i can hit it all over the face ( inside a quarter ) and get decent results, but slightly fat and these puppies will dig and shots hit high on the face have nothing behind it......Love the irons and will continue to game them, i enjoy the challenge of using them, my Kuros are much more forgiving and easier to use but its like the allure of playing the tips, sometimes you just feel like challenging yourself.

* I do wish that i had the SB02 up to the 6 iron though

I play the Miuraism SB02 7-PW and SC01 3-6.....The Miuraisms are slightly smaller than the MP4s which was one of my favorite irons but i like change. In terms of forgiveness, i would say it is the grind that is not forgiving.......i can hit it all over the face ( inside a quarter ) and get decent results, but slightly fat and these puppies will dig and shots hit high on the face have nothing behind it......Love the irons and will continue to game them, i enjoy the challenge of using them, my Kuros are much more forgiving and easier to use but its like the allure of playing the tips, sometimes you just feel like challenging yourself.

* I do wish that i had the SB02 up to the 6 iron though

I get the allure of a sc-01 CB per se, but the tips is a feat that I have zero interest in.

@therealping

I was just wondering today at what point you are compelled to always play tips....

Or another question, more respect for a 76 from blues or a 81 from tips?

its not always play the tips but when u start playing the golds well, you are always curious how much harder it is to move back a tee box, it is a way of measuring if your game is progressing i guess.....i don't do it often but i enjoy the challenge every now and then