2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

73 and Apprehensive before 1st Round of the Year

rony

I posted this here because seniors might relate to this better. I love golf. I have a 14 Index from the middle tees, work as a Ranger P/T and play right around 50 rounds a year. I am in excellent health, Viet Nam Vet, and the VA takes good care of me. Zero Meds except a B12 Vitamin Pill each morning. I can play with anyone at any level and always get compliments on my form, tempo, and game. BUT..........I AM 73 and I KNOW it! Every year over the winter lay off, a few more things become a little bit more difficult to do, little things that only I notice, but these little things are sending me a message. You are getting old!

I was always such a good athlete, (Baseball, Tennis, Golf) I never thought about getting old! (lol) This apprehension started for me around the age of 68. "I wonder if I can still play like last year?" Then the next year, "I probably won't be able to break 100 this year," Then the next year, "I'm sure I can't play anymore." Every year I would put off and push back the first round that I would play. I never say anything to anybody and fortunately over the last 4 years, after a couple of rounds to get rid of the Winter rust, my game has always returned. I hate this apprehensive feeling that I get, and being honest, I think it is foolish.

A possible light at the end of the tunnel happened for me last season. The last round I played (Oct 28th) with my regular partner who is my age, we were joined by two older fellows who were actually both 10 years older than us. They were 83. We were on a NY State Course, Montauk Downs. We only had to see two or three shots to understand that these two fellows were scratch golfers back in the day. A little slow getting in and out of the carts. We helped them find their golf balls if they went in the 1st cut. (They NEVER went OOB) And, we pointed to the next Tee Box a few times when they were not sure where it was. But, make no mistake about it; these guys were players! All 4 of us played 1 ball for all 18 holes! The best part......Two of the nicest gentlemen you could ever meet on a Golf Course. Happy and friendly as could be.

As I age each year, if I could be assured, that I could..... dump the "Distance Ego" that youth saddles all of us with, still enjoy the game for it's exercise, fresh air, and comradry, and have the great outlook that those two wonderful fellows had while playing a round; perhaps this stupid apprehension would disappear. What do you think? :rolleyes:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be 60 in a few weeks and haven't played in four months. I hope to play in the next week or so. Sure I am a bit apprehensive, but I am more excited than apprehensive. I didn't start playing until I was 50, so there is probably more excitement than apprehension. Compared to a lot of folks on this forum, I am still relatively new to the game.

Good luck, and most of all, have fun!

Every year brings the arthritis to a new place while settling deeper in the places already invaded in past years. Jumbo grips are the order of the day. 800mg of advil before a round are a must. Yet I cannot see myself not playing.
Next year, if I must, I will find a velcro grip somewhere......

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
Maltby KE4 14* 3w , Axe Excaliber R flex tipped 1"
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
Mizuno MP30 5 - PW, AXE Excaliber stiff, Hogan Apex PC E Wedge (50*) TT DG s300
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* TM TP wedges 3* flat

55 here and another late comer to the game. I think that any apprehension I may have had vanished on the first tee when I split the fairway with my tee ball (hybrid) earlier in the month in Florida. I only managed one game due to an unexpected trip to the ER, but all is good and I'm anxiously awaiting the start of the season here in the north.

With respect to the comments about losing your game. I don't worry about it assuming that I will be able to adapt as aging takes its toll. I suffered a serious arm injury a couple of years ago and was faced with a choice -- adapt or quit. The impact to my golf game hasn't been particularly noticeable, but the days of being a scratch bowler are over. Equipment changes and a change in technique have allowed me to keep playing, but the scores will never be the same again. That brings new challenges with it to reset goals and aspire to other things while still embracing my [i]love of the game[/i]. I think that approach is transferable to any undertaking. Rather than dread the changes that aging brings, embrace the challenge of adapting to your new circumstances. You might just surprise yourself how well it turns out and how ultimately your love of the game remains intact!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

turned 50 last fall and with the joint pain and stiffness that seems to be getting more intense after a round etc makes me quite concerned about what it will be like as the years go by.
Life has a funny way of challenging us to accept our shortcomings physically but with age also comes the wisdom of enjoying simple things...the beautiful landscape created by a course,
a well struck shot piercing the sky regardless of their frequency or distance; and enjoying the game with friends-and of course playing vintage gear !

enjoy the season everyone

I agree with the OP, getting old sucks.

Unfortunately, there's but one alternative.

During the last few rounds of the season when the days get shorter and future golf plans are only made weather permitting and "if able". I always putt out on 18 wondering if it's the last time I'll play the game.

On a brighter note, I'm scheduled to tee off at noon tomorrow! (first time in this area code this season for me) Whether I shoot a 71 or a 102 (man, I hope it's not the latter) I will certainly enjoy each moment.

X________________________________ Sign Here

[quote name='rony' timestamp='1427819322' post='11253283']
...............still enjoy the game for it's exercise, fresh air, and comradry, and have the great outlook that those two wonderful fellows had while playing a round; perhaps this stupid apprehension would disappear. What do you think?
[/quote]

Therein lies your answer. Enjoy the company you keep while playing, whether with good friends or perfect strangers than share the same enjoyment of "just getting out for a round". What one shoots or that the ball doesn't seem to go as far as it use to, in the grand scheme of things, is inconsequential. A beautiful day, a nice walk or ride, a few laughs, and realizing a few of those great shots that happen every round, sounds like a pretty good day. Its a cliche, but we occassionaly need to remind ourselves that we cannot change one thing that happened yesterday and have little control over what may occur tomorrow. Therefore, why not just enjoy today for what it is.

I'm a little younger than you (soon to be 64) but feel and act no differently than when I was in my 40's. Blessed with excellent health, take no meds, try to exercise with some regularity and limit the number of beers I drink post round to no more than three (LOL). I love to golf, enjoy it with friends as well as the Mrs. But its not everything, I try to have diverse interests and activities. What I score or how well I play on any given day is really not that important anymore. Was never going to be better than a bogey golfer anyways, never willing to devote the necessary time and expense. Just didn't seem that important. Therefore, never had unnecessary pretense that a low score was the "be all, end all" for playing.

One thing that I've discovered and have mentioned in these chronicles. I've rediscovered the enjoyment of playing alone and walking. Usually just nine holes with a short set of classic clubs. Just me, the club and the pursuit of hitting the pure shot on any given swing. Little variety to keep things fresh. Good luck. Remember, you're only as old as you allow yourself to be.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

I remember playing with my grandfather, who at the time was the age of the OP. I was in high school, and he used to put it past me every time with a 3 wood (and I was far from a short knocker). It was juuust stupid. I never could beat the old man, and he passed away by the time I got good enough. WWII vet, and Border patrolman. I doubt he ever considered his age except when my grandmother made him a birthday cake.

edit: Come to think of it (I haven't thought about this in twenty years) even though he was in his 70's, he always used to complain about "old folks driving slow." He pointed out that they were all busy looking at other people's lawns. Called them "swivel-heads"... or something like that.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

My father is legally blind, 75, was a Marine but then a desk-jockey for decades.

When we last played, an 18-hole executive course in Palm Desert last Thanksgiving, he blew me away at how well he could read lines on the green!
Ha! Can't read the WSJ anymore but can curve a ball toward the hole!

As a persimmon-only player, this is how I see 'Distance Ego' affecting me:

I won't EVER hit as far as a good player with a trampoline driver. But I don't care about that at all.
My drives will leave me shorter, and my fairway woods MIGHT leave me shorter than a hybrid.

That's similar to losing distance as I age.

But here's the thing: all it means is my approach shot irons are 2-3 clubs longer. I'm using 4's and 5's when playing partners are hitting wedges and nines. No big deal.

I'm 62, have arthritis, and take only Prilosec and Tums for a bad stomach (Stomach problems since I was a kid.) I stay away from doctors as much as possible; I'm sure that will catch up to me at some point.

The arthritis is gaining on me. I'm stiff most of the time when I'm not on the golf course. Chiropractors have helped tremendously. I need to go back again, haven't gone since last June. Funny, no pain on the golf course most of the time, and can briskly walk 18 like a kid.

In the last several years, I've played the best golf of my life, averaging in the low 40's for nine holes, mid 80's for 18. I break 40 and 80 regularly. Like Hateto3putt, at the end of the season, I wonder if I'll ever play golf again. Like Fellaheen51, I enjoy playing alone, for me, sometimes more than with company. When you play alone, you don't worry about score, and play better. Yesterday, I played 7 holes on an empty course, cold and windy. A foursome teed off on 1, I teed off on an adjacent 3rd hole. I was finishing up on nine, and the guys were just on 3. I don't know if they stopped after 2, and got coffee or what, but I know I played those 7 holes in a little over a half hour, really cold and windy.

I made two birdies playing those seven holes, I was really stepping it out, not worrying about score, just wanted to be finished. The secret to good golf is not really caring about score. Playing alone enhances the I don't care attitude.

My advice to the OP, learn to enjoy playing alone. Confidence will be gained playing alone, so when you do play with guys, you'll play better. A bunch of rounds alone in the beginning of the season is better than any practice sessions.

My opinion.

At 53, I have some of those same feelings. Fellaheen mentioned the joy of playing 9 by yourself and walking. That's what has kept me going the past few years. This year I will add hickory golf to the equation and I'm nervous as to how that will turn out. Heading out today for the first 9 of the year in fact. It's been a rough winter and I've gain 15lbs and lost some hand strength. So I'm just hoping to make solid contact with the ball and be able to walk 9 holes.

Good luck to the OP....looking forward to hearing how things go as you start the year.

Ping G430 HL 10.5*

Wilson Staff Dyna Power 5 wood
Ping 410 7 wood
XXIO 10 5 Hybrid, Tour Exotics 6 Hybrid
Wilson Staff DynaPower forged 7-GW

Wilson Staff 56*

Wilson Staff 60*

Bettinardi BB0 TRI DASS Skull and Bones 2023 33" 

Like Edberg's forehand, my swing is held together with a paperclip and a rubber band.

Oh my goodness, you ought to take a moment, pinch yourself, and remind yourself how wonderful it is to be at your age, with your health, and ability/time/wherewithal to play the great game of golf. Lots of guys would love love to be in your position!

That, and then use the old actor's maxim--nerves are the respect you pay the audience (in this case the game).

Go get 'em.

M6 10.5
M4 3W
Titleist 816h 21
CF19 5-AW
SM6 54 & Cally PM 60
Byron Morgan 612
V1X/ERC Soft

Lots of great wisdom in this thread, thanks to all for reminding me about what's really important about playing this game and what's not.

For me, the best way to play and have fun without obsessing about score or my personal performance is to play a game of four ball (defined as[color=#252525] two teams of two golfer[/color][color=#252525]s competing directly against each other. Each golfer plays his or her own ball throughout the round, such that four balls are in play. A team's number of strokes for a given hole is that of the lower scoring team member).[/color]

[color=#252525]A game of four ball with three good friends is hard to beat. [/color]

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

[quote name='HoldenCornfield' timestamp='1427890003' post='11259819']
[color=#252525]A game of four ball with three good friends is hard to beat. [/color]
[/quote]

Thanks for the reminder! I've never played any form of match play, but I've been wondering what we could come up with to ensure that everyone could have a good day on the course regardless of how they are scoring. I have a group of three friends that I play with about once a month and four ball would be the perfect format I think. Draw for partners and away you go!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

68 years old here.

One of the most important lessons that I've learned is that worry and apprehension are a waste of time and energy. Nothing good can come from such negative thoughts.

Every day is a blessing and the ability to play golf at all is part of that blessing. Accept what comes your way and enjoy the experience whatever it may be.

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

There are some very nice responses on this thread from the older segment of the Golfwrx community. Thank you so much.

I should clarify my initial post with the following: I play within myself, not long but extremely accurate, always in play. My natural shot shape is a draw. I'll cut a 3 wood, hybrid, or a 4 iron once in a while with no problem. I like the draw because I need the roll out because I am not long. Driver 210 carry, 7 iron 145, PW 100. That's it! I very seldom keep score anymore. I simply enjoy playing and that feeling that only a golfer knows when you get ALL of one at any given moment. (That is something you can not explain, it has to be experienced.) I really get along with everybody and people love to play a round with me. Total strangers always shake hands and thank me after a round. Happens all the time. I know it is because I totally love to play, know how to work my way around a track, and always treat my playing partners and the course with respect. My favorite golf situation is when I play with a young fellow who can drive the ball 50-70 yards past me if he keeps it in the fairway. I always win in that situation, and I always tell them they will become excellent players and just watch the "Old Guys." They love it! I truly love playing with and helping the young fellows, because I never forget how the older golfers always helped me when I was young. I guess you would call this "The Right of Passage" in golf.

I guess the point I was trying to make was, it gets a little tougher each year, and I'm always nervous not knowing what to expect. I'll learn when I grow up. I mean, after all............I'm only 73. :rolleyes:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1