2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

Interested in hearing opinions about the change to 18 at Worthington. Where did people lay up to? Did anyone put a ball where the bunker used to be? Easy shot?

toed it to the right half of the fairway before the split. had something like 255 in. hit a smother hook 3w that ended up by the red tees of #1. off a downslope, hit a high semi-flop to 15 feet. made the putt for birdie. easy hole. :P

honestly, i didn't notice the change, but i was in the midst of a mental midget/heat stroke/forlorness of failure moment. couldn't wait to wash the unclean stench of loserville off me.

i mean, i could barely muster a smile for this pic afterwards.

image.jpg

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Last year I think it was $200 or 225, and that included money for lunch and a gift card to the pro shop. So in the end of the day the round was only like $150. So that was a great deal in my opinion

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

fare thee well, old friend. all the good you did for my golf game will echo for eternity.

image.jpg

(obviously gonna try to electrical tape hosel epoxy it back in there. it's just that i was desperate to use "fare thee well" in a post at some point today for some unknown reason. mission accomplished.)

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Interested in hearing opinions about the change to 18 at Worthington. Where did people lay up to? Did anyone put a ball where the bunker used to be? Easy shot?

I don't think it makes much difference. Where there was sand, the spot is now thick rough and you'd have to pitch over the bunker. I guess it's less penal than the 50 yard bunker shot, but it's still not a good spot to be. Makes that layup a tiny bit easier, but don't think it changes the hole in any big way.

it's just that i was desperate to use "fare thee well" in a post at some point today for some unknown reason. mission accomplished.)

Because I inceptioned you on Wednesday, B1TCH!!!

We're walking up to the first tee yesterday and a Southwest plane flies overhead.

JJ says "is that Clint?" or "is that Clint giving us a flyover?" or something.

Whatever it was, it took me a couple second to get it. Then I laughed.

That was a good omen.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Something I was thinking about recently.

Visually, I really enjoy courses where you can see other parts of the course. For example, I think it's an awesome view when you're down on 17 green at WM, and can look way the F up at 5 green.

Playing experience wise, I enjoy courses where each hole is sort of isolated from the rest. Minus the groups on that hole, it gives you the illusion that you're out on the course by yourself.

To the guys talking about sunbrellas, I have one and I definitely think it's worth it. It's giant and shiny silver so it keeps me a lot cooler than a regular golf umbrella. On the days where it's 90+ degrees, you can really feel the difference

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

OK, so golf yesterday was interesting. Got smoked by city which actually wasn't too bad, because it was fun watching him play so well Halcyn and I halved which was fine because it went through 18 holes with both of us making pars on 18. City have some up and downs that are the definition of round savers and several times he had bad shots that were ending up around 15 feet from the pin.

Lows of the day are when I pumped two Outbounds on seven and on 10 when my ball landed between two sod patches and I took a full swing to move the ball about 4 feet

High of the day was birdieing 17 to square up my match

Things learned -

City and I have come full circle now and decided that at hobbits it always looks like there's more break then there is.

It's not worth trying to bang a 3 wood up on 18 when there is a front pin. Easier to have about 75 to 100 yards in to that shot

Really enjoyed the company out there and it was a really good time. Afterwords we reminisced on classic movies that make you put down the remote and block off the next hour or two.

I also enjoyed explaining the value of a post round chocolate milk after the bartender gave me the stink eye

Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

Visually, I really enjoy courses where you can see other parts of the course. For example, I think it's an awesome view when you're down on 17 green at WM, and can look way the F up at 5 green.

Playing experience wise, I enjoy courses where each hole is sort of isolated from the rest. Minus the groups on that hole, it gives you the illusion that you're out on the course by yourself.

Interesting. That gets me thinking.

Golf Talk Friday : What is your favorite view on any course in the DMV?

16th tee at Worthington.

18th tee at Clifton.

clifton-park-18th-tee-390x247-web.gif

I also enjoy courses where you can see around the course. I like to see other golfers out there too, especially at places where people walk. Like if you go to Bandon ever and see people just strolling across the wide open vistas, usually with two caddies dressed in white. . .it is awesome.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

JULY BETHPAGE TRIP UPDATE!!!!!!!!!

Ok guys here is the plan. I am scheduling the trip to play at Bethpage on Thursday, July 28. Due to the significant interest from you all in playing (approx. 17 people), the logistics are complicated as I spoke to the folks at Bethpage yesterday and they only allow one person to reserve one tee-time per day (whether you do it through their tee-time system or wait in line in the parking lot overnight). With all of that said, here is my suggestions for the trip. Everyone needs to arrange their own foursome, and make plans to either get in the tee-time system (instructions provided below) - allowing you to attempt to reserve a tee-time on Tuesday, July 26 at 7:00pm, or drive to Bethpage on Wednesday and get in line for tickets and spend the night in the car (the first hour of tee-times for the Black Course beginning at 6:00am are reserved for those in line). This may not be a bad idea for those of you interested in playing 36 that day, as you could reserve tee-times on other courses when you arrive on Wednesday.

Instructions for registering for the tee-time system: http://nysparks.com/...trationInfo.pdf

Currently, my foursome includes Eagle, Fabb, and DCMidnight and I will be attempting to get a tee time in the 10am range, as my plan is to drive up on Wednesday stay in a hotel and then come out early Thursday. We can all meet up on the patio on the backside of the clubhouse overlooking the Black for drinks and in person recaps, carnage, etc.

Here are the others who have indicated interest in making the trip in case you want to begin coordinating together (my apologies if I missed anyone):

therealsneak

mtn1414

Kent01putt

Goosehook

baddomes

oldbergkamp

vtnerf

misplacedtexan83

DT15

TerpinTime

pquarta1

davechen

jjcoop7

halcyon

Sorry to put this on everyone to make their own arrangements, but I do not see any other way of making it happen.

Let me know if you have any questions.

DT, MTN, Tex, and I are in. Well attempt to make tee times but will be ready for night in Parking lot

Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

I'm not so sure they didn't play their match, and I don't have it recorded. I know eagle beat him in an 18-hole match at Blue Mash earlier this year.

Totally unrelated - is anybody rocking (or thinking about rocking) a sunbrella on their push cart this year? I don't have any dry foot skin cancer scares to motivate me, but it just seems like an easy way to keep the sun off, and keep cool. I'm already out there with a push cart, so what the F do I care about having a sunbrella.

I have the Clic umbrella, the silver one. Makes a huge difference in temps.

I don't think it makes much difference. Where there was sand, the spot is now thick rough and you'd have to pitch over the bunker. I guess it's less penal than the 50 yard bunker shot, but it's still not a good spot to be. Makes that layup a tiny bit easier, but don't think it changes the hole in any big way.

Honestly I dont think I even noticed. We hit a couple of pretty great second shots just off the green on the right. I was already so irritated at the girl possibly sneaking down to wash our clubs that I didn't even notice.

Funny side note - D/D parked their cart down below on the left, which is seemingly a great way to hide from the club washers. She wasnt fooled. She drove her cart right down there as we were putting.

Third tee at Raspberry Falls (also 18th tee)

Third at Stonewall

Two or three different ones at Swan Point

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

i like courses that have views that change depending on the time of day, so topography is a huge selling point to me, aesthetically speaking. probably why i like arthur hills courses when the sun's going down/coming up.

too hard to pick a local favorite right now, but the tee shots at #17 and #18 at kapalua's plantation course at dusk were pretty fantastic.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

i like courses that have views that change depending on the time of day, so topography is a huge selling point to me, aesthetically speaking. probably why i like arthur hills courses when the sun's going down/coming up.

too hard to pick a local favorite right now, but the tee shots at #17 and #18 at kapalua's plantation course at dusk were pretty fantastic.

A regular old Eagle multi-answer wasn't good enough, so you had to ignore the geography of the question completely?

Check it out, superfriends. When you're placing your next order of hive-approved MG DynaGrip Elite gloves, you can grab an MG Golf Cart bag for under $100 shipped. It comes fully equipped with a valuables pocked labeled for everyone to see, hive-approved hive pattern fabric, and a putter well guaranteed to have matching tube and cap diameter!

http://www.mggolf.com/fabs/?utm_source=mgblast&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Body%20Link&utm_content=Subscriber%2381525&utm_campaign=160603%20CART%20FABS

Third tee at Raspberry Falls (also 18th tee)

Third at Stonewall

Two or three different ones at Swan Point

The 3rd at Stonewall would be better if there weren't those two huge houses just off to the right. But the view to the left of the hole is pretty for sure.

19078658988_634f9b63b4_b.jpg

The view that I always enjoy is driving into the Bull Run parking lot, seeing the club house, 18th fairway, practice green, with mountains in the background, knowing that you're on your way to play golf and not to the office.

Below is a shot from standing on the upper cart path by the practice green. It's much better if you're there in person.

27213147592_7abd84b599_b.jpg

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

A regular old Eagle multi-answer wasn't good enough, so you had to ignore the geography of the question completely?

Check it out, superfriends. When you're placing your next order of hive-approved MG DynaGrip Elite gloves, you can grab an MG Golf Cart bag for under $100 shipped. It comes fully equipped with a valuables pocked labeled for everyone to see, hive-approved hive pattern fabric, and a putter well guaranteed to have matching tube and cap diameter!

http://www.mggolf.co...60603 CART FABS

So hivey.

Nice innie. . .

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I was actually going to say Blue Mash late in the day. I've been there with the sun getting low. Great view off the 12th tee with the setting sun reflecting over the lake.

Another thing I love about golf in this area is the foliage in the fall. Westfields and Twin Lakes come to mind, but I'm sure you can find great colors on just about any course here.

2nd at Twin Lakes (Oaks)

22502442442_93a409839a_b.jpg

4th

22489913636_3fd80e9ebf_b.jpg

15th at Westfields, although this was a little later in the fall, so all the good colors were going by then.

15583259667_90f80e7ea2_b.jpg

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach