2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

To me, JKC, I don't know if you're bent over too much, but you look like a classic "bent at the waist, not at the hips". Pretend like you're a linebacker, an athlete, like you need to pop somebody, or be able to spring and move in any direction. Look at Monte and Adam Scott. Picture them with their head up. Now look at you in eagle's picture and picture yourself with your head up. They look like a more upright version of this. . .

GettyImages-159575496.jpg

Kegan Bradley is really bent over at address, but it's still athletic.

lead.jpg

Or, simply this. . .

instruction-2013-03-inar01-david-leadbetter-posture.jpg

What's funny is that during your backswing, you stand up a little and then you hold that posture pretty well throughout the rest of the swing.

The football imagery makes sense. I can also liken it to bending at the hips for squats/deadlifts too I think. But one reason I have so much rounding in the upper back is because it feels like I have no other way to reach down to the club with the lie/length the way it is. More bend in the knee/hips feels goofy. But maybe it is right.

And, I just noticed in monte's still that he wrote "bend at waist".

In my conception of the two things, he's NOT bent at the waist -- JKC is. And that's the difference.

But, that's why I'm not an instructor. I'll just shut up about this.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I'd be surprised if we don't have a couple sub 70's, but you still need to get the ball on the green, and make a couple putts. And missing a drive can add 2 no matter what tees you're playing.

I'd be surprised if we do have a couple sub 70s. You, PQ, and Eagle are the only people I give any chance of going under 70. Unless somebody who is a real stud comes out of the woodwork between now and then and decides to play, like that DYSO guy.

Mark your calendars:

The Red Rag Challenge is scheduled for July 7th, 3:00PM, at Blue Mash.

This is a Thursday afternoon and will likely be a shotgun (although that's not confirmed). Groups were booked based on interest but if you were interested, I now need confirmation from you on availability. THIS IS FIRST COME FIRST SERVE, I'm asking that you PM me with a Yes or No for that day.

We will have a Low Net and Low Gross prize, and I'm asking that everyone involved to contribute $5 on top of their course fee. This will go towards the prizes and I will set up cash skins (none of that 50/50 Give It Back shite).

Bump.

I shot 74 in the first one, my goal is to beat that this time. To JJ's question, my strategy doesn't change much. Playing irons off the tee to good wedge yardages and having a good idea where to be aggressive.

For example, everyone might have their eyes light up on the 9th hole playing 430 or so, but the water is in play with driver. You still have to hit spots. And make putts.

My off the cuff theory: diminishing returns because of putting and water hazards, the low net winner will shoot their handicap.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

when we're talking about scores now - we talking about net sub 70? or someone just shooting sub 70

Meaning if a 5 goes out and posts 5 over the course rating, they shot their handicap.

The good rounds at Northwest (64ish rating) did not break 70. Golf is golf, yardage only gives you some advantage trying to go lower.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

when we're talking about scores now - we talking about net sub 70? or someone just shooting sub 70

sub 70 gross in the RR challenge.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Tale of 2 days at Yingling's Golf Range in Hagerstown. Yesterday, I couldn't hit for nothing. Tried the Monte ways of the 'No Turn Cast' drill, 'Bump, Dump, Turn' just couldn't get anything.

Today, same thing. Agitated, I remembered another Monte feel about the ball being at your shoulder level and then bending at the waist/hips with some knee bend providing all the down I should need.

Aside from getting a metal divider to the back of my leg because of strong left to right wind, it was night and day.

Friday I'm getting my swing video'd down the line and buying a Monte lesson for maybe a way to progress.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

sub 70 gross in the RR challenge.

Thanks City - This is what I was asking

I just saw you shoot a few over. ive seen Eagle go low, I know PQ can.. Heck i shot 3 over 3-4 weeks ago..

So yea- i see someone going sub 70 gross

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

edit: i know fabb posted the usga link...

I was in the middle of a full-on implosion until you posted this edit.

my point with that was... how do you know that it's incorrect? based on what the ratings are for the men from the other tees? are all red tees only rated for women? that's dumb. no wonder men don't want to play from there. what about male kids playing from the red tees? what CR do they use? i'm not trying to argue any particular position here, genuinely asking.

follow up: worthington's scorecard only has 1 rating per set of tees. ditto needwood. clifton park has both men's and women's CR/slope for gold and red, but only men from blue and white.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

my point with that was... how do you know that it's incorrect? based on what the ratings are for the men from the other tees? are all red tees only rated for women? that's dumb. no wonder men don't want to play from there. what about male kids playing from the red tees? what CR do they use? i'm not trying to argue any particular position here, genuinely asking.

follow up: worthington's scorecard only has 1 rating per set of tees. ditto needwood. clifton park has both men's and women's CR/slope for gold and red, but only men from blue and white.

Yes, a lot of places only do one or two overlaps.

NW has men for black, blue, white, gold.

Women for white and gold.

Needwood has men black, white, green.

Women red and white (but no green).

I still have all my cards from all the courses at Bandon.

They have men for EVERY TEE all the way down to 5000 yards and ratings of 65.

They have women for all tees except the tips. But, the second to tips are like 78/140.

ETA : it's clear that that (the bluemash info) is incorrect because they're rated higher than the green tees which are longer.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

THDC posted this already. The rating/slope specify whether it's for men or women.

Here's Blue Mash.

https://ncrdb.usga.org/NCRDB/courseTeeInfo.aspx?CourseID=7687

And, I just noticed in monte's still that he wrote "bend at waist".

In my conception of the two things, he's NOT bent at the waist -- JKC is. And that's the difference.

But, that's why I'm not an instructor. I'll just shut up about this.

My 'bend at the waist' gets me way too bent. Lately Ive been walking in straight up and down then basically squatting a bit. Keeps the weight more centered and looks 'normal', it just feels different than how I used to do it.

Looking at Blue Mash scorecard, and trying to imagine how some of those holes will play.

1-3 become short par 4s, but not driveable (unless you're PQ, Goose, or somebody else that can actually pump out 300+ yard drives). The green complexes are no joke on those holes.

4 is a short 3, with another tough green complex.

5 becomes a very reachable par 5, but I'm thinking the drive will be pretty troublesome from further up. There is no way to run a ball on that green, and it's perched up.

6 is another short 3.

7 and 8 are super-short 4s, but I don't think you'll see a ton of balls on in 1 shot. Both greens are very tricky to get up and down on.

9 is another very reachable 5, but the water will be in play on the tee and the approach.

Some of the better players on here could just as easily turn in a couple under, even, or over par. If you're striking it well off the tee, and playing well on/around the greens, you could go deep. Like city said though, a bad tee shot can easily add 1-2 strokes, and there are a lot of holes on the front where the red tees bring more trouble into play.

10 is reachable with a really good poke, but you've got to take an aggressive line, with water lurking all down the right, and long grass on the left.

11 is still 142 yards. Gonna be happy to make 3 there.

12 is a stupid short par 5, but you better believe the water down the right is still gonna eat some tee balls and approach shots.

13 is another short 3.

14 should be reachable, but there are woods right on that hole.

15 becomes reachable, maybe. More than likely it just creates a really weird angle.

16 is actually a par 5, only 400 yards. Another visually intimidating tee shot here.

17 is a flip wedge, but it's still water all around that green. Balls will be swimming.

18 will be reachable, but it's still 440 uphill, to yet another tough green.

I just can't see multiple people going low. Blue Mash is gonna be tougher than Northwest for sure. I feel like you could drive, or get near just about every par 4 at Northwest, the greens there are generally less surrounded by trouble, and are less difficult green complexes overall. If somebody is really hitting driver well at Blue Mash, and clicking around the greens, and making putts, they could hang a sick round on us. Sorry, but nobody is going to lay up to 100 yards all day and hang a 68 on us. I think you're going to have to go after a lot of those greens in 1 (or 2 on the par 5s) to really post a low round.

One of our lobbyists just told me that he's going to be playing Bandon in a couple weeks for a fundraiser. Won't cost him a dime since it's a work trip. F' that guy.

My lobbyist did it this past weekend. May have had to pay for a round or 2.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

I dont see how PQ goes above par without a complete meltdown. He may have to be a little careful with the tee shot on 9 since he fades it, but thats about it.

The thing about NW is that there was a hole on each 9 where the tees didn't change the approach at all. 3 (it still had the tree then) and 14. I dont see any holes like that at BM. That doesnt equalize the courses, but I bet it ends up closer than we would think.

I just think there are going to be a lot more easy par holes than birdie holes.

PQ is by far the most likely to go under par. He's long enough that he won't need driver, or even 3 wood to get on/around holes under regulation. That, and he's got a really nice short game.

City and Eagle are also good chances to break par. They're both great on/around the greens. City's ballstriking is coming on, and Eagle is always dangerous with a wedge in his hand. Not to mention eagle knows that course in and out.

Things go south for any of them off the tee, and it's going to start adding strokes quickly, though.

Even if I hit the ball well, my short game and putting are slumping too badly for me to feel like I'd actually be able to convert a bunch of birdies. I think I'll go a couple over par.

I'd be surprised if we don't have a couple sub 70's, but you still need to get the ball on the green, and make a couple putts. And missing a drive can add 2 no matter what tees you're playing.

I'd be surprised if we do have a couple sub 70s. You, PQ, and Eagle are the only people I give any chance of going under 70. Unless somebody who is a real stud comes out of the woodwork between now and then and decides to play, like that DYSO guy.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

My course handicap for red flag will be 6. I figure “par” for me from the red tees is 66. 8 over “par” would be 74. That feels somewhere between right and maybe a little conservative.

My early analysis is that conservative play is best. Like on 9 driver is a no brainer. Just aim 40 yards right of the fairway. Who care if you have 180 in. That's way less risky than hitting Hybrid into the fairway. The goal is to make 4 not 3.

Well, a consolation for 9 & 12.

If you bomb driver and rinse it, you are taking a lateral drop and have a short iron to reach the green in regulation. The water becomes like a half stroke penalty.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

I don't think breaking 70 is going to be easy. I'm still making 3-5 bogies, I expect.

There are ways (at least from the satellite) to take trouble out of play and get into good spots.

The line on 9. . .anyone who hits it between 245 and 280 is golden.

If they try to pump one down the middle of the fairway, they're bringing water into play, but there are options.

The most "obvious" thought in general is that if I just go play in a "brain dead" fashion, and bang driver from every 320 yard hole, I'm going to have a lot of 45-75 yard wedges in.

Can I skull one or two of those and make double? sure? Can I stick them inside 25 feet all day and get 20% of them in the cup? Yes. Can I be on or near every par 5 and play them in -2? I've made 3 birdies lately from 6800 yards and 4 birdies the last time I played 6300 yards. I've played the par 5's at Pine Ridge in -2 tons of times.

If I can make 4 or 5 birdies and only get a couple bogeys, I could see 68/69 in play.

I just think that as long as you don't care about the rough, and get a couple good lies, you can find some ways to attack. . .

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Thanks for the vote of confidence.

My course handicap for red flag will be 6. I figure "par" for me from the red tees is 66. 8 over "par" would be 74. That feels somewhere between right and maybe a little conservative.

My early analysis is that conservative play is best. Like on 9 driver is a no brainer. Just aim 40 yards right of the fairway. Who care if you have 180 in. That's way less risky than hitting Hybrid into the fairway. The goal is to make 4 not 3.

I like the way you think.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

since likely going to be a shotgun start, and we're all guaranteed playing from the same tees, anyone else besides me want to try 100% random pairings vs. "typical" groupings?

i think random generated groupings would be good

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60