2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

The only holes I'd think about hitting less than driver on are 3, 15, and 17. You can smash driver on any or all of those holes as well, if you want. I'll probably smash it on at least one of them, if not more. 7 is short, but it's so massively wide open, there's no reason to hold back from smashing.

Just follow city's advice, puppet. I'm sure he won't be shy about sharing his thoughts. Also, don't sniffle during his backswing on 18 tee, or he'll cold top one.

Hive Golf Alert!

THDC is going to be unable to make it to the fourball this Thursday, which leaves one spot open. If anybody is available to fill-in, please let me know. I'm sure David30 will be eternally grateful to have to play as a one-man fourball wrecking machine.

Also, bump.

Hive logo bigger.

Ground wasps at Piedmont.

Finished second to last place in member member.

Stuck three wedges from 100 yards inside 20 feet off a mat on the back patio last night and won 80 bucks.

Taking some time off from playing golf and just focusing on practice.

Played well with an e6 again today.

I can't believe everybody likes the big logo better.

Whatcha working on with the game? Just focusing on the swing changes from the lesson?

Yep just need more time practicing instead of playing. Got the pull hooks now. Will bring it up on Tuesday.

Post morning coffee round re-recaps and random ramblings. Components in my game are firing at different times and it's frustrating. This weekend I drove the ball exceptionally well, but my irons, wedge game, and even putting to an extent, deserted me. In the previous rounds, those were all generally solid. Still hoping that things come together before the season is over, but also need to relax and play the game. Ball here, hit to hole there. Period. Looking forward to playing at UMD this week, but will have to do a little homework

I've played out there too many time to count on the front 9. Back 9 only 3 times.

I'll let you know what is up on each hole

I don't hit driver on 1 and 2 as well with the hazards

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

Post morning coffee round re-recaps and random ramblings. Components in my game are firing at different times and it's frustrating. This weekend I drove the ball exceptionally well, but my irons, wedge game, and even putting to an extent, deserted me. In the previous rounds, those were all generally solid. Still hoping that things come together before the season is over, but also need to relax and play the game. Ball here, hit to hole there. Period. Looking forward to playing at UMD this week, but will have to do a little homework since I've never been out there.

Edit - turns out I did have a highlight from Westfields - pushed my drive above the fairway bunkers on the par 5 11th, sitting in some trampled down heather. Ball is below my feet, with a lone tree 40 yards in front of me, but the pin is back left. Aimed well left, almost at the 12th tee, and hit a high cut 4-iron to 8 feet. Grazed the hole with the eagle putt, but got a tap-in birdie. Closest I've come to an eagle in a long time. Well, other than Awkward Bro Hug Eagle1997, that is.

I've played out there too many time to count on the front 9. Back 9 only 3 times.

I'll let you know what is up on each hole

Don't listen to JJ, Puppet. He's the enemy on Thursday. He and Kenty will have you hitting 5-iron off the tee on every hole.

#incitywetrust

Since JJ only completed half the humble brag, I'll finish it for him: the hazards he is talking about are 290 from the tee.

I have no idea what to do at UMD. Can't find the pics since I got a new phone, but the last and only time I played there was with Vince/Boogs/GregH over the winter and there was literally ice on the greens.

So I need to be ready for theCityTips and JJKent7 mind games? I'm already mentally fragile as it is.

Better add one of these to the WITB...

31s9jJmd7DL.jpg

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Since JJ only completed half the humble brag, I'll finish it for him: the hazards he is talking about are 290 from the tee.

I have no idea what to do at UMD. Can't find the pics since I got a new phone, but the last and only time I played there was with Vince/Boogs/GregH over the winter and there was literally ice on the greens.

I was noticing that too, because I looked up the yardage initially and saw no hazards in my range.

https://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/universitymarylandgc/tour.htm

http://www.terpgolf.umd.edu/coursetour

Toulon Palm Beach

Played Belgrade Lakes in Maine yesterday. Beautiful course and dogs are allowed, so I walked with two hounds and my girlfriend.

Hit the ball the best I have this year. Had an 80 and could have easily been 77-78 if I didn't mis-club a couple of times. Flew the green twice with flushed irons, which led to two of my doubles. Had a six foot downhill sliding eagle putt on a short par 5 that barely missed. Birdied the par 3 second hole after nearly dunking the tee shot in the cup. Maybe I need to play with dogs more often.

This is the view from the patio outside the clubhouse - 9th hole on the left and 18 on the right.

Played Belgrade Lakes in Maine yesterday. Beautiful course and dogs are allowed, so I walked with two hounds and my girlfriend.

Hit the ball the best I have this year. Had an 80 and could have easily been 77-78 if I didn't mis-club a couple of times. Flew the green twice with flushed irons, which led to two of my doubles. Had a six foot downhill sliding eagle putt on a short par 5 that barely missed. Birdied the par 3 second hole after nearly dunking the tee shot in the cup. Maybe I need to play with dogs more often.

This is the view from the patio outside the clubhouse - 9th hole on the left and 18 on the right.

Played there last year, great course, friendly staff and gorgeous views. One of the best courses I've played so far.

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Nike VR TW blade/split cavity- 4-PW

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

I bet they aren't firm after all that rain on Saturday. I still can't believe the pictures and videos of Ellicott City from the storm.

Good call about the rain

And yea- crazy about EC downtown - tough to image being there two weekends ago and then seeing places you walked now gone

Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

So I need to be ready for theCityTips and JJKent7 mind games? I'm already mentally fragile as it is.

Better add one of these to the WITB...

31s9jJmd7DL.jpg

Oh yes. Kent will definately try and mindf*** you. Just ask PAMatt.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

And don't worry Puppet. I won't pull a goose on you and sit by my bag while everyone hits driver and then pull out an iron 15...

Yep I still remember Goose

Haha. I think Nicklaus said he did that as a match play strategy. If he was hitting 2nd, he'd stand around with a driver on a hole he wasn't hitting driver, or vice versa, to try to make his opponent take notice, and then switch after his opponent hit.

Toulon Palm Beach

I bet they aren't firm after all that rain on Saturday. I still can't believe the pictures and videos of Ellicott City from the storm.

I think some reports had them getting 6-8 inches of rain in less than 2 hours. That's freaking terrifying.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

The following is 4/5ths humblebrag, 1/5th question. 5/5ths too long

Broke 80* (*explanation to follow) for the first time on Friday. Same as half of the thread denizens, I was up in Maine this past week. Pops turned 70 on Thursday so we headed up for an extended weekend trip after work on Wednesday night. Find out when I get up to the island that the club championship is Friday AM. f*** it, why not? This is not a big club and definitely skews older. This is a "I use 'summer' and 'winter' as verbs" type of place. There were only 14 players and I think the age range was about 20-85. So with a 13 cap, I'm probably one of the four or five lowest caps in the tournament.

And here we get to the asterisk. The course is only 9 holes. To play an 18 hole championship, we played the whites for the front nine and the blues for the back nine. It's also a very short course -- about 6000 or just under with the combined white/blues. With one notable exception, the par 4s play driver/3w/hybrid followed by 9i/wedge. Totally old-school course and I don't mean in a fancy country club sort of way. It's more like a british links course in that you can bomb a drive straight down the middle and land on a rock and kick it an extra 50 yards forward or kick it 90* into the woods. The course is easy with two exceptions. The third is a 430 yard par four that, from the blues, requires a blind drive over a big hill with woods moving in from the right (local rule has them as a lateral not OB), driving range on the left, a 30 yard wide ditch protecting the green and a second ditch behind. Carry the first but catch a hard bounce and you're in the back ditch. Because of the hill most players are almost always hitting their second from 190 or +. The other is the par 3 7th which plays about 195/218 from the whites/blues except that it's uphill and there's no where to miss left or right that doesn't risk a hard bounce into the woods.

I went out in 36 with one bogey and one birdie. Was driving the ball decently and got up and down on 2 and 3. Caught a member bounce off a branch on 9 to stay out of woods and avoid having to punch. Made the turn and started off well leaving it about 25 yards off the front on 10(#1). Proceed to get VERY luck on 11 when I badly pulled a 3w off the tee but the woods open up on the left and I ended up having a clean look with about 50 yards in. Right woods plays as lateral but left is not so I had to hit a provisional. Was extremely pleased to find that first ball. Struggled on 12, the aforementioned long par 4, when I topped a driver into the hill. Had to go hybrid-hybrid but ended up on the side slope of the 13th tee box. Hit a great pitch to about 8 feet but couldn't save bogey. Three putted for bogey on 13. Pull up to the par 5 14th. Right woods play as a lateral, left do not. Proceed to hook first drive deep left. Second drive. Fade. Right woods. Now I'm f*****. So now I'm dropping four, hitting five at about 225 out. Put the hybrid to about 10 yards off on the front right but proceed to slightly over hit the chip. Now I gotta drop a side hill 12 footer to save double. Bury it. Currently +5. Bogey 16 from 85 out when I short the approach and can't up and down. +6. On to 16, the par 3 at 218 and uphill. Hit a hybrid to 10 feet. Drop the sidehill putt. Back to +5.

Club pro is watched us play 16 and while walking to the par 5 17th he asks if we want to know the leader in the club house. *internal thoughts* I'm probably pretty close to the top, do I want to know? Yes. Pro - It's your cousin who is in with a 79. My cousin is training to be a club pro and I think his cap is about a 4 right now. Game f*****g on.

On 17 I stomp a driver down the middle. Let's do this. Get to the ball about 230 out and find that I'm in 4in of grass with sidehill lie. Like I said, it's funky course. Best I can do is knock the hybrid to 150 out. Smooth 9i to 15ft. Drop the bird. +4. On to 18 -- mental note, just stay out of the woods. Clean hybrid to 150. Smooth 9i to 15ft.

connery_thedayismine.png

Almost drop the bird and settle for a tap in. Club champion. I am the greatest golfer in history. Please go back to your regularly scheduled programming.

So now we get to the 1/5 question(s). Does the Hive consider this a legit break of 80 (for the record I do)? and to Comrade Eagle, is there a way to calculate and enter this in the CCCP?

Club champ plus gratuitous pic of the old man and I. (Fabb - that's the CC Team hat in the second pic. And yes, I do have an unfortunate sunburn at the moment as a result).

The only holes I'd think about hitting less than driver on are 3, 15, and 17. You can smash driver on any or all of those holes as well, if you want. I'll probably smash it on at least one of them, if not more. 7 is short, but it's so massively wide open, there's no reason to hold back from smashing.

Just follow city's advice, puppet. I'm sure he won't be shy about sharing his thoughts. Also, don't sniffle during his backswing on 18 tee, or he'll cold top one.

Hive Golf Alert!

THDC is going to be unable to make it to the fourball this Thursday, which leaves one spot open. If anybody is available to fill-in, please let me know. I'm sure David30 will be eternally grateful to have to play as a one-man fourball wrecking machine.

Also, bump.

I'll add 7 to the list but that's just b ecause I'm not much of a strong driver and the deuce banger has done me well every time i use it there.

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Nike VR TW blade/split cavity- 4-PW

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

1. yes. absolutely a legit BREAK80 round. *pops champagne*

2. yes. absolutely can post to CCCP. ask fabb to do the math for you. *pops champagne*

3. yes. absolutely i can photoshop your picture in hilarious ways. *pops champagne*

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Changing subject to the season long match play

I had been in and out of pocket last week or so and haven't been able to really follow. But any quick updates or who lost to who and how the finals played it to get to THDC vs Hal?

Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

I had been in and out of pocket last week or so and haven't been able to really follow. But any quick updates or who lost to who and how the finals played it to get to THDC vs Hal?

THDC vs. Halcyan is just one semifinal. THDC defeated DT at Blue Mash, and Halcyan took out Domes in the heat at Waverly.

I've got Siegel in the other semifinal match. I beat city at Hobbits a couple weeks back, just before his hot streak started. Siegel just beat eagle on Sunday at NW.

THDC vs. Halcyan is just one semifinal. THDC defeated DT at Blue Mash, and Halcyan took out Domes in the heat at Waverly.

I've got Siegel in the other semifinal match. I beat city at Hobbits a couple weeks back, just before his hot streak started. Siegel just beat eagle on Sunday at NW.

Thanks

Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60