2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ever have a guy who won't shutup at the range

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful, some of the marshalls on here take offense when you make fun of bad asses like that, I know this from experience. I really hope you don't get suspended because i like your sarcasm

Actually, most of the marshalls don't really care about friendly jests. It's the terms like 'douches' or 'dick' that do not play well here. So if some of you can find other ways to express your frustrations that would make my 'job' easier and I can remain hands off. After all, like the range, this site is a family atmosphere. Cheers.

first off i dont mind people talking on hte range. i expect it and never have expected complete silence. like many people have said its a social game. also im a big guy 6 4 200 lbs and i dont hit the ball that far for my size. i say i average 270. but when im one the range and see someone hit the ball 30 yrds past me i dont care because they could suck at everything else. to end my post driving distance does not matter, its a good thing to have but it all comes down to on and around the greens. and if some of you need to pull out driver and hit 330 yrd bombs then you need to get your ego in check because if you were that good youd be on tour.

kyle

16 yrs old

I must admit that I have been one of the people telling their girlfriend that they are hitting really well when they are not (by this site's standards.) "Good" is really relative, for some people just making contact is a step in the right direction. It is encouraging to have someone tell you that you are improving otherwise this sport can just seem too unapproachable.

Now me personally, on the range I worry enough about my own game. I'll let someone else worry about the others.

I don't see why it matters if people talk on the range, actually its one of the few places where you can actually have a conversation on the golf course. Nothing depends on it, all you are doing is practicing. There is no quiet rule at the range at PGA Tournaments, why would you need silence? Just get in a rhythm and go.

Great point. Some of you "quiet on the range" guys need to lighten up. You don't own it, and nobody gives a crap if you fly it 290 into the woods. Go to a PGA event or a Nationwide Tour event and it is rarely quiet. Always people talking, Reps buzzing around, people watching us, and yes, talking. Lots of talking. If some jack*** is out there bothering you, look at it as an opportunity to work on your concentration and focus.

Couldn't agree more. What's with all these guys with "rabbit ears" on the range? For Christ's sake, how can you be bothered by talking when every time the guy next to you hits his titanium driver it sounds like a cannon firing? Grow some thicker skin!

The only time talking on the range bothers me is when I see some know-nothing, overbearing parent giving some poor kid (bad) swing advice after every single swing. I always wonder to myself when that kid is going to snap and put his 6 iron through papa's skull!

I don't see why it matters if people talk on the range, actually its one of the few places where you can actually have a conversation on the golf course. Nothing depends on it, all you are doing is practicing. There is no quiet rule at the range at PGA Tournaments, why would you need silence? Just get in a rhythm and go.

Great point. Some of you "quiet on the range" guys need to lighten up. You don't own it, and nobody gives a crap if you fly it 290 into the woods. Go to a PGA event or a Nationwide Tour event and it is rarely quiet. Always people talking, Reps buzzing around, people watching us, and yes, talking. Lots of talking. If some jack*** is out there bothering you, look at it as an opportunity to work on your concentration and focus.

Couldn't agree more. What's with all these guys with "rabbit ears" on the range? For Christ's sake, how can you be bothered by talking when every time the guy next to you hits his titanium driver it sounds like a cannon firing? Grow some thicker skin!

The only time talking on the range bothers me is when I see some know-nothing, overbearing parent giving some poor kid (bad) swing advice after every single swing. I always wonder to myself when that kid is going to snap and put his 6 iron through papa's skull!

oh yeah. . .drives me up a wall. some days I'll see as many as 3 or 4 parents "teaching" their kids, then grabbing the big stick and taking some of the worst swings I've every seen. saw a guy the other day who had obviously never heard the term "wrist ****". I understand that they are trying to share something they like with their child, and I can appreciate that, but they should atleast understand the basics of a good swing before they try to teach anyone else, including thier kid.

• 3 weeks later...

i usually attend the range with a few friends, and we talk a little, try and give each other some help with allignment and stuff, but we're never obnoxious. As a junior, i try to be as respectful as i can, because a lot of adult players i think look down on junior players, and i dislike the fact but i think its true, but i try to earn what respect i can get.

I hate going the range and hearing little children screaming and things.Talking is ok but how do you concentrate when people are yelling?

Last time i went to the range with my girlfriend shes only around 5''3 and very thin but she was htting them 165 easily with my 983k.Theres these 2 guys with all the latest taylormade gear and theyre yelling at each other from 4 bays away walking behind bays to change clubs with each other all the time.Shanking balls into the side net.

Could you put up with this?

Someone commented about not beating down people who yell and things at the range.

This is not golfers being snobs this is basic golf ettiquette and they should learn about ettiquette before attending

a range full of people.

I hate going the range and hearing little children screaming and things.Talking is ok but how do you concentrate when people are yelling?

Last time i went to the range with my girlfriend shes only around 5''3 and very thin but she was htting them 165 easily with my 983k.Theres these 2 guys with all the latest taylormade gear and theyre yelling at each other from 4 bays away walking behind bays to change clubs with each other all the time.Shanking balls into the side net.

Could you put up with this?

Someone commented about not beating down people who yell and things at the range.

This is not golfers being snobs this is basic golf ettiquette and they should learn about ettiquette before attending

a range full of people.

Better at the range than on the golf course....

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

• 3 weeks later...

But no one is talking about the different types of ranges... I don't believe that what is fine at a buck a bucket roadside range is appropriate on a nice grass range at an upscale muni and certainly not acceptable at a separate members only, expert or otherwise private range.

When I'm paying big bucks to practice, I should be able to practice in peace.

There's talking, then there's being a jackass with no social skills who somehow managed to get away with the men in white coats for the afternoon.

What has happened to common courtesy in this world? Since when did all behavior become acceptable behavior? Does someone 5 stalls down need to hear how you made your only birdie in the last 20 rounds?

I'm sure if you were yelling across the range to your buddy at a PGA tournament event, you'd be asked to quiet down.

As far as the guys that don't see an issue with talking during someone's swing, what can I say? I hope we're never paired together. What makes it so difficult to shut up for the 10-15 seconds of my preshot routine and stroke? Is your voice that soothing to yourself?

• 1 month later...

I can't stand the excessively audible "instructor". I've been teaching my girlfriend to play golf, which has been quite the experience. I want to get her lessons, but for now we're just going over the basics. I try to keep my voice as low as possible to keep myself from looking like a jackass, and to keep her from feeling uncomfortable. I too, encourage her when she gets the ball in the air. Sometimes a little bit of encouragement for someone just beginning the game goes a really long way.

I must add my voice to the ... um ... "lighten up" camp.

Fact is, at most ranges I go to, it isn't the people havin fun. Talking. Its not the lessons going on, the couples, or groups laughing and hitting balls that is most irritating ... it is the few testosterone-ridden golf fanatics that act like the sesson is the final one before they're as Tiger Woods, have to show every other golfer how great they are, and try to guilt trip anyone that doesn't act like the driving range at a public course is Augusta.

Last paragraph is where I agree. Some of these testosterone driven males act as if the spotlight's on them every time they enter the driving range.

That's absolutely spot on. Agree 100%.

At my driving range they just made a mini golf course behind the mats...usually there's a parent with a couple of young kids that make some noise, but that's no big deal at all. Its actually nice to have the atmosphere where people are having fun and kids are laughing...I'd certainly rather have that than a silent range...how boring would that be?

If the guy is really being that obnoxious and loud...do you really think he notices that you're hitting 300 yard drives next to him? He's too into himself to notice you or anyone else. Ignore him and laugh it off.

the driving range i go to is next to a train station and every now and then a train rolls through so people talking hasnt really affected me much. with that said, every now and then there have been few things that have really bug me while i was practicing.

the first was when a father was yelling at his kid for whatever reason and the kid had the same name as me, it gets iritating when you hear your name screamed out every 30 seconds from six feet away.

the second was a guy who brought his baby and his buddy to the range, kept yapping to his friend, and ignored the kid crying in the stroller. this went on for about half an hour until me and the guy in the booth beside me started conversing about why people shouldn't bring babys to the driving range loud enough so he could hear us. he got the hint and left shortly after.

i agree that a driving range is a social environment and noise is going to occur and you have to let most of it go. while most of the time it isnt that difficult to focus on my practice, those two situations are really the only things that get to me on the range.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to get in on this thread so late.

I had an awful experience once where a group of 4 18/19 year olds grabbed the mat next to mine at my local range (since closed) - 3 guys and a girl. My range was affiliated with a local golf shop (Plaza Golf, of Scotty Cameron fame), and as such had a small satellite store on the premises where you can demo any club they have in stock for as long as you want, just by leaving your driver's license.

These kids were demoing a Nike SQ driver, and it was pretty obvious it was the first time any of them had swung a club. Horrible swings, shanked every shot, etc. They absolutely abused the crap out of that poor driver. And to make things worse, all of the guys were crude loudmouths - loud talking/crude jokes/trash talking, and cursing, despite there being young kids nearby with their folks. And whenever one of the guys hit a semi-straight shot that went about 150 yards, he'd yell "OH YEAH, TIME FOR MY NIKE CONTRACT, WATCH OUT TIGER!", which set off his friends even more.

I would have moved to a different mat, but it was crowded and there were no other spots open. When I started hitting my driver and bombing balls way past anywhere these kids were hitting, they stopped and stared, and would even heckle me if I hit a not-so-perfect drive. I was ready to wrap a shaft around their necks.

And finally, one guy interrupts me in the middle of a backswing with "hey dude, can you show me how to hit balls that far?" I stopped, looked at them, and told them "how about you all start by shutting the hell up?" One of the idiots actually replied with "hey calm down dude, this is a family establishment!" It took all the self-control I had to not swing my driver at his head. Thankfully, they left soon afterwards.

That said, I don't mind talking/instruction/etc. at the range. Heck, a buddy of mine even brings a small wind-up radio and plays soft music while we practice. It's the morons that talk/yell on their cellphones and the kids whose parents never taught them any basic courtesy that annoy me. Oh, and the guys who smoke cigars right next to you at the range.

Cobra LTDx LS 9*
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3W
TaylorMade Sim2 Max 3H
TaylorMade P-790 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM5 52

Titleist Vokey SM8 56
Titleist Vokey SM7 60
Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 2

I don't mind people talking on the range at all. I do get miffed when people talk to ME though. I don't know what it is but quite often the random guy next to me will just start talking to me and then KEEP talking to me until one of us is out of balls. I try to stifle the "conversation" by repeatedly giving one-word responses but they never seem to get it.

Screaming kids bug me a little bit, too.

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t mind a bit of banter between mates or a few people chatting, even phones don’t bother me but yesterday I had the loudest twosome on the planet three bays away form me.

I’ve had a week and a half off due to trying too hard and jarring my back – so I’m taking it easy, trying to get back into the swing of it (pun intended!) and remember what my pro said to me last time I saw him and then these two guys (about 30ish) and an older guy (50 ish) come strolling up the range and the two younger guys proceed to shout loudly about how great they are. One claims his 8 iron is magic and he can hit anything from 10 to 180 yards with it etc. etc. and then they start having “friendly” competitions (closest to the flag) etc, where every shot is followed by gloating and high fives. The guy who I assume was at least one of their dads, kept his head down and completely disowned them, and I decided to call it a day.

W@nkers like that are everywhere – so I guess why would golf be any different?