2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ever have a guy who won't shutup at the range

So I take my daughter to piano practice and it gives me an hour to shoot over to the range and get in some practice. Go through my normal progression, lots of wedges, and work through irons and then to woods. So in come a couple of guys and the one I swear had the hots for the other because they are hitting drivers to start and the one guys ooing and ahhing on how his partner is hitting his driver out about 225. It's like oh that fabulous it goes so far and you hit it so straight, I wish I could hit that well. Well I give a few evil glares to shut the hell up, but nope he keeps the crap up, and he's loud. I then gently ask him to keep his comments down a little, but he doesn't even recoginize I ask and keeps blaring away.

So I decide to break my progression, break out the driver, hit a few draws out a little past 250 just to warm up and that seems to quiet him a little, but he keeps it up, just not as loud. So again, I decide what the hell and drop a few into the trees at the end, propably about 290+ in the air. Well he shuts up and then the two leave before they even finish hitting their buckets. Got to go back to my progression and work through the rest of my irons and woods. But damn, I now understand why Steve goes after folks in the gallery. I also hate doing that because I don't want to throw anything out before I am warmed up.

What do you guys do when the idiots won't shut up on the range?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Usually break out the big stick and drown them out ;) Dont really mind people talking at the range. If im by myself ill quite often listen to music anyway, I kinda like practicing with a distraction, makes me concentrate all the more. What i don't like is familys with young children and what not stopping and watching people hit balls, makes me uncomfortable. Im there to practice, not to be watched.

I've tried the music thing, just don't like earplugs and wires hanging from me. I usually go to the ends so it tends to keep the watchers, and families away. That's kind of what pissed me off with these two, I know it was busy but the one guy was barely hitting, just stood there talking. Oh and it was busy so there wasn't really anywhere else to go.

I don't see why it matters if people talk on the range, actually its one of the few places where you can actually have a conversation on the golf course. Nothing depends on it, all you are doing is practicing. There is no quiet rule at the range at PGA Tournaments, why would you need silence? Just get in a rhythm and go.

I dont use earplugs when practicing, just use the mp3 player on my phone, its quite loud ;) I'm not a fan of people talking on course, but at the range its totally different for me. Once the grass bays open up at the local range(at the opposite end of the range, where no one can be arsed to walk to), its very quiet and worthwhile. Just have to watch out for the odd long-baller that can knock it from the top of the range down to you, b*stards :clapping:

On this topic, I see both sides, as sometimes, I'm there with my girlfriend or younger siblings and actively coaching and talking with them, so maybe I'm THAT GUY every now and then (but I should note, I always [try to] find an empty spot on the range, and if some dude comes and tries to hit next to us then I kind of feel like he knows what he's getting into [unless it's packed])...but as for toolbags who seem to gauk at mediocrity at obscenely disturbing noise levels, then just pity them and give them as many hints as you can (such as the aformentioned evil eye) and usually they'll shut up. If not, try this trick- it worked great for me the other day when apparently one of the local frats decided to have a day at the range and some sort of misguided gimme-attention competition of who can hit it the ugliest (or maybe the best, couldn't seem to tell)...as they're screaming "get in the hole" after every swing (uhhh, there are no holes out there geniuses) seemed to ruin other's relaxation on the range, I figured I should do something, especially since they were right behind me and I sure as heck didn't want to be associated with their nonsense...

So after it becomes obvious that people moving away and giving them bad stares won't shut these guys up or make them monitor their volume level, I grabbed my phone in my pocket and answered a fake call and as loudly as I could w/o being fake said, "Yeah, hey, I'm at the range, but I should get off my phone because it might interfere with other people, but actually, that doesn't seem to matter because they're are a bunch of punks here annoying everyone anyhow...oh, no, don't worry about it, they're just morons, and yeah, you're right- they're Godawful and you should hear them talk like they know what they're doing, seriously, you should see their swings, it's scary...yeah, total losers...alright, see you in a bit."

I hung up and pointedly returned the stares the oversized douches were giving me. Then I acted like nothing happened, pulled out my 5 wood, sent a few to the the other side of the range (almost a hundred yards past where these dorks were hitting their drives) all the whole while laughing to myself that these kids didn't even come up with some stupid reply.

Anyhow, I greatly encourage the fake phone call on the range to make fun of morons, unless they're bigger than you...j/k

And on an aside, how come every loser golfer in the world has it in his head that he's going to somehow steal a guy's woman at the range if he can act like he's good??? I'm fortunate to have a good looking lady, and I swear, when I go to the range, on a quiet day, and hit by myself in a remote side (it's a huge range where I go most of the time), no one else comes next to me, but EVERY DARN TIME I go to the range with my girl, even after going to a slot with no one 4-5 spots next to us, there's always some moron who comes up, puts his bag down right next to us, and then yanks out his driver and tries to impress us (her) with his "swing/distance/etc."...it never fails...it's always kind of fun b/c she knows exactly what's going on and she'll say loudly so they can hear, "maybe we should find a range where you can actually hit a driver w/o having to worry about people on the other side," or "is it only safe on this range to hit driver if you can't hit it very far?"...she's a keeper...

So I take my daughter to piano practice and it gives me an hour to shoot over to the range and get in some practice. Go through my normal progression, lots of wedges, and work through irons and then to woods. So in come a couple of guys and the one I swear had the hots for the other because they are hitting drivers to start and the one guys ooing and ahhing on how his partner is hitting his driver out about 225. It's like oh that fabulous it goes so far and you hit it so straight, I wish I could hit that well. Well I give a few evil glares to shut the hell up, but nope he keeps the crap up, and he's loud. I then gently ask him to keep his comments down a little, but he doesn't even recoginize I ask and keeps blaring away.

So I decide to break my progression, break out the driver, hit a few draws out a little past 250 just to warm up and that seems to quiet him a little, but he keeps it up, just not as loud. So again, I decide what the hell and drop a few into the trees at the end, propably about 290+ in the air. Well he shuts up and then the two leave before they even finish hitting their buckets. Got to go back to my progression and work through the rest of my irons and woods. But damn, I now understand why Steve goes after folks in the gallery. I also hate doing that because I don't want to throw anything out before I am warmed up.

What do you guys do when the idiots won't shut up on the range?

Damn, your bad a** ;)

It's the golf range...some people go out there to have a good time. I'm glad you can inflate your ego because you can apparently carry a drive 290+ down the pipe with a range ball...that's what, 300 carry with 20 yards roll with a Pro V?

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

yeah right- at the public range I'm at most of the time- if you carry it 290 with a range ball then you could carry it ~320 with a normal ball, if not more...ahhh, the joy of hitting balls at Augusta- where they've got ProV range balls (I've got a few if anyone wants to buy them if you're that much of a fan- kinda cool if you're more of a die-hard Augusta fan than I am: ProV1's, Augusta logo, stamped PRACTICE...I'm sure everyone who plays there steals as many as they can like me so maybe not much demand)...the good courses I play at are now really making a strive to provide newer and better balls...my home away from home range (Quail Hollow) uses Callaway HXs and Titleist NXT Tour's, which everyone appreciates.

I don't see why it matters if people talk on the range, actually its one of the few places where you can actually have a conversation on the golf course. Nothing depends on it, all you are doing is practicing. There is no quiet rule at the range at PGA Tournaments, why would you need silence? Just get in a rhythm and go.

Great point. Some of you "quiet on the range" guys need to lighten up. You don't own it, and nobody gives a crap if you fly it 290 into the woods. Go to a PGA event or a Nationwide Tour event and it is rarely quiet. Always people talking, Reps buzzing around, people watching us, and yes, talking. Lots of talking. If some jack*** is out there bothering you, look at it as an opportunity to work on your concentration and focus.

Damn, your bad a** ;)

It's the golf range...some people go out there to have a good time. I'm glad you can inflate your ego because you can apparently carry a drive 290+ down the pipe with a range ball...that's what, 300 carry with 20 yards roll with a Pro V?

Actually on the course I don't average that far. It's a lot easier to smash range balls because they use rock pinnacles and the range is a lot wider. Don't have to worry about overdrawing/hooking or pushing too much. Course is a lot narrower and therefore I have to control my swing. I'll hit a one or two 300 in a round, if the course allows, but usually I am probably averaging closer to 280.

As far as on the range talking, I have no issue with the coaching, hell even the talking with your GF/wife. I take issue with the "Oh my gawd, you are so wondeful because you can hit a driver 200 yards" morons. The one who is overpraising and overhyping either himself or the person he is there with. And all the time being way too loud. There is talking and there is too much. This was way too much.

Oh BTW, I don't like ProV's I lose distance with them. :clapping:

On yet another aside, and I don't really care if I offend anyone by stating something like this-

I think the types of golfers who demand absolute quiet in their backswings are punks. I completely respect the need for quiet, but once you're out there the four of you having fun and talking/whispering, as long as you're not shouting suddenly in someone's backswing to screw them up, then lighten up if people are ok having a conversation in other people's backswings when you're 30some yards away...I think it's a feeling out process when playing with new people- some people can handle an ongoing conversation and don't need a quiet gallery sign of sorts before each and every shot...

I only went on this rant because some guy I was paired with spent 12 holes making us feel bad for him duffing an approach shot on #6 b/c he "could hear us talking" from at least 50 yards away...dude, we were barely whispering; the trees in the wind were louder than we were...he didn't stop complaining for the remaining 12 holes that we should use better manners or else we'd ruin others' rounds...dude; chill pill.

Simply because you should fight like you train and train like you fight! Would you like a guy yacking on his phone or to a buddy while youre teeing off! I hate when the grass spots are full and youre nearing the end of your bucket and the guys walks right behind you and begins warming up right behind you. Im like back the heck up and let me finish! The guy was in my rear sight view!

Agree, ranges are very social places so one can expect talking/cell phones/and general buzzing if it's a busy one.

No big deal as it's all white noise...its not like dudes are setting off firecrackers in your backswing...

Anyway I think it's pretty "elitist" to demand total silence on a public range. As was said, check out any tour stop and head to the range and see first hand how loud and busy a range can be.

To add, most amatures get flak for not practicing enough and just "hacking it around" on the course. When players head to the range I applaud them....no need to pull down your pants and get into a dick measuring contest....

Callaway GBB Epic 9* w/ Ahina 70x
Taylormade SIM Ti 15* w/ Ahina 80x

Srixon Z U85 18* Driving Iron w/ Ahina 80x
Callaway XHot Pro Hybrid w/ Ahina 80x
Mizuno MP60 3-PW w/ DG X100
Odyssey Black Series i #2
Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 60*, Vokey 64*

I must add my voice to the ... um ... "lighten up" camp.

Golf has always been more than just a sport - it is also (and at times, primarily) social. Its actually one of the things I love about the game.

There are rare circumstances where being completely quiet, and following all the rules is important ... during tournaments for instance. And certainly the is a great deal of etiquette that is just the correct thing to do on a course. But I guess after countless rounds over 40 years or so, I draw a strong distinction between tournament play, casual play ... and even further, the range.

In tourney play - I damn well follow the Rules of Golf to the letter, and am extreme about etiquette. I want everyone else to be also. The people that run tournamnets want this - and it is correct to comply with it.

In casuel golf ... well, I play with some buddies that are fanatic golfers. Playing with them is close to playing tournaments. I have other buddies, however, that are weekenders. They'll take 3 or 4 Mulligans off the tee during 18. They'll hit two balls if one goes in the water from the fairway. They'll improve their lies. And they'll bullxxxx for 18 holes ... generally trying to be quiet when someone is teeing off or putting, but not worrying too much about anything. Golf is more social than anything else to them. They are businesspeople, or fathers or mothers with young children ... they get to play once a month at best ... and they don't do so because they need to shoot 70's to have a good day.. It is an escape, with friends. There's warmth. There's laughter. And I have have as much fun in those foursomes as I do wih my fanatic friends.

Point is, though, all of this is "golf". Its why I love this game so damn much.

On ranges? I was at a range with my nephew a few weeks ago. Teaching him. We talked the whole time. Not loudly, but still, I certainly don't expect silence. There may be some folks there that are intense about golf as a sport - but they've got to understand that if they want silence ... they should build their own private range. Just because they go there with a single-minded purpose to work through their "progression" doesn't mean that's everypne else's purpose. And those people paid the same dollars for the bucket of balls.

Why the need to prove to them they were not good golfers? Someone was complimenting someone else on a 220 yard drive? Good. Who cares why? I compliment my father when he hits it 200. Because he's 80, and and for him that is great. Sounds like the two guys were having fun ... why the need to try to humilate them with some driving display? They were talking too loud? Ever thought to just ask them to speak quieter? (I've done that before ... and when its done with courtesy and respect and the right spirit, have never had anyone be anything other than courteous back - in fact, usually apologetic).

Its a driving range. Not a course, not a charity tourney, and not the bloody US Open.

Fact is, at most ranges I go to, it isn't the people havin fun. Talking. Its not the lessons going on, the couples, or groups laughing and hitting balls that is most irritating ... it is the few testosterone-ridden golf fanatics that act like the sesson is the final one before they're as Tiger Woods, have to show every other golfer how great they are, and try to guilt trip anyone that doesn't act like the driving range at a public course is Augusta.

Last paragraph is where I agree. Some of these testosterone driven males act as if the spotlight's on them every time they enter the driving range.

well said, well said indeed...

I must say I dont' really care what people do on the range, but in fact I would actually like it if people would talk more just because I am a friendly guy and enjoy talking golf.

Really I just wanted to say I like the way in your signature where your bag goes... good way to get people in your area to be able to ask you how that course plays.. very nice thanks

I hope other people do it, but don't know how much actual bandwith it takes up.

Cheers,

Jason

sometimes at our local range we'll get the normal group of 2-4 guys, taking turns at one mat, using their dads old driver, swinging as though theit very life depended on getting that ball past that 200 yard marker. and every now and then one of them will actually hit it on the screws and send it flying. ooooo, aaahhhh.

thats when I pull out my driver (if I didn't already have it out) and let some fly. does it pump up my ego to outdrive them? well, of course it does. I've worked hard to be able to hit a ball 300 yards consistently.

but theres more to it than that. I think it'll be good for them to see that what their doing is really nothing special. neither is what I do, of course, but its a hell of a lot better than what their doing.

and I also think it'll be good for them to see that I'm hitting the ball 100 yards further than they are on their best hits, and I'm doing it with a slow controled tempo, barely swinging at all. but mostly, it inflates my ego, and theirs no point lying about it. ;)

i had a really loud guy at the range closest to my house,

he was with this girl probably 15 years younger than him(he was about 45)

and was oohin and aahhing at her hitting a hundred yard driver, and yelling at it to roll

he then went onto a 5 minute speech about the aerodynamics of golf, which included him comparing a golf ball traveling off her driver to a nuclear missile. i was having trouble trying not to shank it from laughing so hard

I don't mind the talking at the driving range but I do get frusterated when I see groups of guys being disrespectful to the facilities that I regularly use. For example, when guys want to practice their Happy Gilmore swing and then are just gouging out huge divots and then laughing about how the grass when farther then the ball and then doing it over and over. Then these same people will often try to hit multiple balls all at the same time, which also happens to be dangerous for everyone around. Then to top it off this is usually couple with obscen language. There is no place for that type of behavior.

I am still not sure exactly how me hitting a bunch of good shots is going to make the idiots next to me at the range have good etiquette. Maybe I don't have the same golf "force" as some others here do. Honestly, it sounds kind of silly to think that hitting nice shots at the range is going to affect the behavior of those around me. I would be giving myself way too much credit to think that people around me care what I am doing that much, let alone to think my golf swing has the influence to shut everyone up around me.

today i was at the range and after a lesson (my first official)

i was hitting some more balls.

two tees down was a husband and wife and her friend.

the wife was standing behind her husband, and after every shot

was making comments like:

"look at that shot"

"what a ball"

"oh my god honey, that was great"

i felt like i was in rocky II when apollo's trainer was telling him

"women love you, men love you, children love you" while he was

warming up.

i had to take a moment because it was so funny, i didn't know what

to do.

I prefer to have people talking rather than it being really quiet. On the other hand, I've had j4ck4sses doing the Happy Gilmore right BEHIND ME and I've also had the redneck driver session combined with beer-guzzling and belching next to me. I can live without either one of those experiences repeating.

In my golf league this week past, the guys tend to chat with the other groups (there's one Par3 that always backs up). But if you're talking during someone else's routine, then you better not complain if someone else talks during yours :russian_roulette:

I'm one that doesn't really care about mindless banter on the driving range...I'm pretty good about going into my own world, having my iPod and listening to music and really not giving much thought about what is going on around me...however...

I sure hope that you "Fore on the tee, please..." guys don't show up around me when I take my 7 yr. old son and 4 yr. old daughter to the range. I'm out there trying to introduce them to the greatest game on the face of the planet and help them to get to where they appreciate and respect this great game. I encourage them, praise them and sometimes make a general a** of myself with how much attention that I pay to them and what they are doing. We only go on Sunday afternoon around 4 o'clock, try to go to the end of the range, stay out of the way of others and be respectful to those that are trying to work on their game.

I have something that I want to pass on to my kids...my love of the game. If someone wants to try to take that away from me, they better be prepared to give me a damn good reason why I shouldn't be out there teaching my kids about a game that will possibly help them in life...

And some of you people wonder why golf isn't a growing game? The way you admit to acting is enough to make new people think that the game is just for elitist arrogant people.

i was tempted before to reply to this thread with a comment exactly like the one above. being a snob and showing up boisterous range goers just perpetuates the stigma golf has of being a game only for the privileged and pretentious.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd