Do you hit irons above your handicap?

I am a handicap of 14 ATM and use Mizuno MP62/52. I came from G20's and the second time using the Mizuno'a I beat my best previous round by 7 strokes.

I learned to play golf when I was younger with blades. I just couldn't get use to the big chunk out the back and the offset of the Ping,s. I still have a G20 3 iron that I take to the range, and hit from time to time. It is easy to hit but can't put it in the bag because of the huge offset that just puts me off.

There is some truth to GI irons helping higher handicapped players. But, I say play what you like and screw all of the people saying you shouldn't be playing such and such clubs because you are not good enough.

Ping G25 10.5* Stock Stiff
Ping G25 4 Wood Stock Stiff
Ping G25 20* Hybrid Stock Stiff
Mizuno MP-52 4-6, MP-62 7-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM5 50/12/F, 54/14/F, 58/7/S
Ping Greyhawk TR

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='J40' timestamp='1432242677' post='11603784']
Without quoting:

Well obviously the "class system" varies from person to person. Like you choose to go by score and handicap because you can beat it around the course in 90 shots with any given set....that's fine. But when choosing irons the most critical aspect should be your ball striking which you are quick to dismiss. Feel, trajectory, shot shape, etc mean nothing when playing a blade if you're not pounding the sweet spot far more often than not. (Heck it's optimal to do this with any club) You try and argue this time and time again but it's the undeniable truth. Then you try to debunk the forgiveness factor of clubs or build up the forgiveness of a club that isn't true. You actually said you lost 5 yards of intended carry with a 5 iron hit off the extreme toe....not even in the grooves! If your "real world experience" says you can shoot 90 with any set of clubs I'll believe that. If you tell me that blades are forgiving just for you or their optimal just for you hitting it all over the face then I'm not buying it.
[/quote]
With quoting. You haven't played a blade for any length of time to substantiate your undeniable claims so I'm not buying it.

You continue to make your own points and they have nothing to do with mine. (Likely why you don't quote anything.)

I have explained my toe shot (which YOU brought into this thread) time and again and yet you continue to take it out of context.

You can only assume what is needed to play a blade well. Experience on the course may change your perspective.

You claim I shoot in the 90s yet I am a 10.1 and have been as low as 7.5. And by your logic, since I was playing blades to establish these, I *should* be losing strokes so I'm actually better if I were to use GI clubs (by your logic).

That's a lot of writing to "not care". In a thread about posting why YOU play YOUR clubs.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1432241299' post='11603604']
You've already bought into the fact that you fit their class system. Hook, line, and sinker by your own admission.

You may want to reread my words in detail lest you continue to argue out of context to what I specifically stated. It seems you missed some key words like "enables the POTENTIAL for future sales" and "set up the golfer to buy". This wording was intentional because I anticipated already that my points would be taken out of context.
[/quote]

I have never bought clubs based on what handicap range I fit into. I am not going to purchase clubs above my handicap, that I don't hit well, simply because you say so. If buying the clubs I hit the best is somehow falling for their marketing....well, only you would believe that.

[quote name='Exactice808' timestamp='1432241709' post='11603646']
[quote name='SeaOfGreen10' timestamp='1432240749' post='11603530']
The quoted above is just shocking to me. No way OEMs pump massive amounts of money into developing and marketing multiple sets of irons every year so they can potentially "trick" a customer into[u][i][b] buying a new set every time they jump a "class[/b][/i][/u]". The vast majority of the golfing public won't even reach the highest recommended level, many won't even get out of the first class.

Serious golfers buy irons more frequently than this. Casual golfers aren't going to improve enough, and if they do, [u][i][b]aren't going to instantly shell out money for a new iron set [/b][/i][/u]when they hit a certain level. That is simply a terrible, money-bleeding strategy, and I'd be shocked if an OEM even considered it.
[/quote]

I hate to derail this thread.... but the tracks are !@#$% ahead any ways....

1) Every year they release a new Club and every year...people will buy into the new clubs for the X added benefits that the manufacture spew.
2) The Sunday hacker is probably what keeps the manufactures in the money as they DO BUY new crap every year. They probably have to pay Pros and convince them just to use new stuff.
3) We have a Club HOing problem and it is widely discussed here on GolfWRX
4) People sometimes dont buy clubs for the gaming aspect, they sometimes just like collecting
5) Manufactures do a pretty good job to convince people to buy new clubs for X handicap. Especially with the talk about distance. Many of the Hackers are looking for distance, guess what they sell distance in SGIs, GI's and hell even talking about distance in CB too.

So you say they wont instantly shell out the money, I disagree, people are shelling out the money and people are buying into the marketing BS..... and with the "Handicap" lvls people lie to themselves that they are good enough based on their own perceived handicaps not actually skill.

We see 100's of threads about blades because they "Feel" they got better and can play them. But in reality they are not asking WHY they should play as in needed benefits, But they are playing because someone set a "standard" to play them.

Marketing Marketing Marketing..... Did I mention Marketing........ TM, Nike, Callaway, Titleist etc..... They aint broke and why? Because people shell out the money.......if not they would not be releasing crap every year.....
[/quote]

Just to clarify, I don't consider people on here "casual" golfers. By casual, I mean people that play a few times per year to have fun, and aren't all that concerned about scores.

In my experience, most serious golfers don't buy a new club because they think there has been an advancement in technology in the past year, and they will hit it 20 yards longer suddenly. They buy it because it happens to fit their swing, or they want to try new equipment, or they like the looks/feel.

[quote name='mahonie' timestamp='1432242982' post='11603822']
[quote name='SeaOfGreen10' timestamp='1432237716' post='11603192']
[quote name='mahonie' timestamp='1432235325' post='11602944'] If the OEMs can claim 17 yards further than last year's driver, why can't they say that this year's GI club will hit the ball x yards closer on mishits than last year's version? The OEMs do a great job of masking what 'forgiveness' is all about, namely getting the ball closer to the hole on a mishit. I can't say that I have ever seen any empirical data to substantiate 'forgiveness.' I've said it elsewhere, I honestly believe perimeter weighted clubs will only help on mishits when the clubhead is travelling square to the target path and it is then only a real benefit when the length of the clubhead from heel to toe is longer than average. I think this is why lots of players rave about the Bridgestone J40 DPC. [/quote]

True, but to be fair, there is a clear motivation for OEMs claiming better performance from last years club - they want you to buy the latest and greatest. There is no clear motivation for OEMs claiming their GI set is better for a 15 handicap than their blades if it's not the case.
[/quote]

It's all to do with profit margins. GI clubs are generally cheaper to make, so the OEMs want to shift more of these clubs in order to maximise their profit. Blurring the lines between SGI or 'player's clubs' widens the market place allowing them the potential to sell more clubs and skewing the natural distribution curve in their favour. Before Ping came along the marketplace was less crowded with the size of OEM being significantly smaller than today's massive corporations. The result is that each OEM has to market its own USP to the same group of golfers. Eventually the general public will cotton on that the OEMs are all peddling the same story with different words. It's already happening in the UK where golf participation is falling rapidly because people are realising that you can't buy a game. TaylorMade's sales were down 28% last year...people are getting wise to them that their marketing claims will not directly lead to better golf.
[/quote]

What is the difference in profit margin between the two? It seems GI clubs generally retail for cheaper as well, so without more info, its hard to say whether this makes sense.

Also, if that were the case, why do the handicap ranges generally have a low end? I.e., I believe some of mizunos GI irons say they are for handicaps of 10 and up - why not say its for everybody in the hopes that low handicaps buy the cheaper-to-make clubs?

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='stratdogg_pro' timestamp='1432087640' post='11590574']
As a scrawny 125 pound 17 year old with an 8 handicap I started playing forged blade irons...

On my 36th birthday I was a +4 handicap playing forged blade irons....

Last March I had a mild stroke and plummeted to a zero handicap early this year playing forged blade irons...

I plan on being back to a +4 handicap or better playing forged blade irons...

End of story
[/quote]

Your a Hero and also have a Superman suit?

• 3 weeks later...

Personally its about how the club suits my eye when standing over the ball. If I look down and I like the look of the club it gives me more confidence. When I first started I was an equipment junky. I would read all day long about different clubs and what they are supposed to do for your game. I would never get any better regardless of what new club I would buy. After about 2 years of that crap. I just buckled in with my AP1's and started devoting all my time to the practice range. Hopefully I will someday get that repeatable swing that will allow me to really distinguish the characteristics of what the different clubs have to offer. But for now my attention is on Practice, Practice, and more Practice.

[quote name='Golf4lifer' timestamp='1432142055' post='11594522']
[quote name='J40' timestamp='1432107334' post='11591970']
[quote name='rcain1us' timestamp='1432105600' post='11591912']
In my mind handicap is more about your putter and wedges than the type of irons you play.
[/quote]

I personally don't know of any player that is really good at one aspect of their game yet so terrible at another that they're a mid-high handicap. If you're a 20 handicap then imo you're probably not that great at anything. You could hit a wedge to 25 feet and 2 putt all day and be a scratch to low single digit player. The good golfers I know have pretty good all around games, hit a lot of quality shots, score well, but still have a blunder here and there. The average golfers I know are inconsistent and what's working one day might not be the next and vice versa. The bad ones I know pretty much suck at everything but have that one shot or two that keeps them coming back.
[/quote]
I hit my irons fairly consistent no matter the iron and they save my rounds for the most part. I am a 25 handicap.

Most of struggle at one part of the game and mine is putting.

Play what you like!
[/quote]

Your experience sounds like mine...I use what a lot of people call "shovels" and my irons are the most consistent part of my game. My driving and putting are keeping me around a 25 right now. I can't tell you how many times this season I've missed a fairway but still hit the green in regulation. If only I could putt worth anything...

Nike VR-S 10.5 w/Fubuki Regular
Nike SQ Dymo2 3W 15 Degrees
Nike SQ Dymo2 5W 19 Degrees
Nike SQ Machspeed X 4-AW Steel
Nike V-Rev 56/10 and 60/8
Nike IC20-10B Mallet

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a 6.2, play ap2 710's - In my mind? no. In reality? most likely. When I play a lot, I hit them great, have no problem hitting anything down to a 3 iron from any lie, when I'm not playing well or I am off, they are a challenge to hit especially anything lower than a 6 iron, short irons 8-wedges rarely give me any issues, 7 once in a blue moon, probably from a consistency standpoint it would benefit to take a step back to something a little more forgiving, but where's the fun in that?

Callaway X2 Hot Pro - Tour Green 65x
R11 TP - 18.5* - Project X Black 6.5
Titleist AP2 - 710 - 3-PW - Proj. X Flig 6.0
Cleveland 588 CB RTX - 50* - S400
Cleveland CG14 Tour Issues 54/58 - S400
Scotty Cameron - Studio Newport 1.5

"Greatness Courts Failure, Romeo"

Handicap doesn't take into account how good of an iron player someone is. I was around a 2-3 handi this time last year and my iron game was great. I played whole rounds without taking a wood out of the bag because I had so much more confidence in taking a 2i off the tee and have a slightly longer shot in. I have since changed my swing slightly and feel that my iron game is much inferior to what it was this time last year yet my handicap is lower because of better play with my driver and putter. Golf is confusing enough as it is. A certain type of club shouldn't be put with a certain level of player. It doesn't work like that unfortunately.

Driver- Taylormade M2 10.5* set open 3* playing at 9* W/ Hzrdus Black 75X 44"
Fairway Metal- TEE XCG7 13* W/ Matrix Black Tie 7M3 X 42"
Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron W/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course and conditions)
Irons- Tour Issue Mizuno FliHi 3i with Mitsubishi Rayon Bassara 465ct X
Ben Hogan PTx irons 23*-47* in 4* increments w/ PX 6.5 painted black
Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set. 50*, 56* bent to 54* and 58* w/ rifle spinner shafts
Putter- Never Compromise Dinero Mogul
Ball- ProV1X
Bag- Ogio Aquatech Cart Bag

• 4 weeks later...

In my opinion, for most golfers, it comes down to look and feel which will always be a personal preference.

If you feel comfortable over the ball because of a thicker or thinner top line, more or less offset, then that is what counts.

What's just as important is having your clubs adjusted for your swing - in my case my clubs were too long for a few years until I went to get fitted properly.... Once the clubs were shortened I started hitting the ball much better.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Every golfer should play clubs that look good to them at setup. It is too easy to get into the silliness of players irons vs GI irons. It has gotten me a few times. I am not a huge fan of how GI irons look at setup. But recently I transitioned some of my hybrids back to irons. I thought heck, a hybrid looks pretty chunky compared to the biggest GI iron out there, so get over how they look at setup.

For me, playing GI irons 4-6 works best. I absolutely love to hit my Taylormade Burner Plus 4 and 5 irons. GI irons have a lower center of gravity (COG) which gets the ball up in the air more. This makes for a softer landing and less run out. Good for staying on the green.

You should play clubs you enjoy hitting. My MP 25's are supposed to be "players" clubs. Compared to my Investor II irons from a by gone era the MP 25's are very forgiving.

If you do not have a lot a time to practice and only get out a few times a month GI irons are a great choice. If you have a lot of time to practice and play going with a set of "players" clubs can be a good thing as they can help you dial in your swing. I will from time to time take my Investor II irons out to my cage and swing them. Those clubs have a small sweet spot and give me good feedback on how close to the sweet spot I am striking.

When all is said and done what you want in your bag are 13 clubs you absolutely love to hit.