Do you hit irons above your handicap?

[quote name='Little Ned' timestamp='1432082380' post='11589848']
I'm a 20+ handicap. I've been thinking I should be looking at GI irons exclusively. You know - Ping Gs, Mizuno JPX, etc. Today might have changed my mind.

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)][color="#2c2c2c"][size=4]I went to Goldsmith to hit the G30s & 850 Cast. However, I had time to hit several clubs. I hit the 850 forged just as well as the cast. And I'm not really a Taylor Made guy but I grabbed an RSi 2 laying around ... I hit this 7i better than my own G2, the two 850s or either AP1/AP2. With the RSi 2 being a "player's iron", it gives you something to think about. Maybe I have more options than I originally thought.[/size][/color][/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)][color="#2c2c2c"][size=4]I'm not making a decision to buy a club based off of one day, but is it common for guys to hit clubs "[/size][/color][/background][color="#2c2c2c"][size=4]above" their handicap? Or do you play with clubs that match your handicap?[/size][/color]
[/quote]

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a 20+ handicap. I've been thinking I should be looking at GI irons exclusively. You know - Ping Gs, Mizuno JPX, etc. Today might have changed my mind.

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)][color=#2c2c2c][size=4]I went to Goldsmith to hit the G30s & 850 Cast. However, I had time to hit several clubs. I hit the 850 forged just as well as the cast. And I'm not really a Taylor Made guy but I grabbed an RSi 2 laying around ... I hit this 7i better than my own G2, the two 850s or either AP1/AP2. With the RSi 2 being a "player's iron", it gives you something to think about. Maybe I have more options than I originally thought.[/size][/color][/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)][color=#2c2c2c][size=4]I'm not making a decision to buy a club based off of one day, but is it common for guys to hit clubs "[/size][/color][/background][color=#2c2c2c][size=4]above" their handicap? Or do you play with clubs that match your handicap?[/size][/color]
[/quote]

Not meaning to rain on your enlightened parade, but this man has a different opinion on RSi 2s. I recently hit them, RSi TP, Tour Preferred CB, among others and bought RSi TP 2-PW with PX shafts. If I think about it, my view of RSi 2 coincides with TM's own statement on RSi 1&2 page... "TaylorMade studies show that 76% of shots hit by golfers are mis-hits." That about says it all, as to their purpose.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)][color="#2c2c2c"][size=4]I went to Goldsmith to hit the G30s & 850 Cast. However, I had time to hit several clubs. I hit the 850 forged just as well as the cast. And I'm not really a Taylor Made guy but I grabbed an RSi 2 laying around ... I hit this 7i better than my own G2, the two 850s or either AP1/AP2. With the RSi 2 being a "player's iron", it gives you something to think about. Maybe I have more options than I originally thought.[/size][/color][/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)][color="#2c2c2c"][size=4]I'm not making a decision to buy a club based off of one day, but is it common for guys to hit clubs "[/size][/color][/background][color="#2c2c2c"][size=4]above" their handicap? Or do you play with clubs that match your handicap?[/size][/color]
[/quote][quote name='Little Ned' timestamp='1432082380' post='11589848']

[/quote]

I am a 4-6 capper and I like GI irons the best.

I just got done testing the majority of the irons on the racks for an online site that I write reviews for and I really enjoyed my testing time with the GI heads and the Super GI heads more than any of the other categories. I was also surprised with my results from the Players category thinking that I don't strike well enough to warrant these anymore, but I had no issues with the Players heads even though I have been playing Burner 2.0's for the past two years.

It's all about your face contact.....if your all over the face, better not go with something that will help you. If your sorta around the sweet spot, you can look at the next step up from GI heads if they look and feel good to ya.

Of all the irons I tested the Bridgestone line up really surprised me the most.

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1432170108' post='11597568']
[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1432167020' post='11597178']
You guys sure do love blade vs cb commentary here......good god.....

There are plenty of cbs that are targeted for 0 caps and plenty of blades that are being used just as intended by 10s. So back to the spirit of this thread, I believe that all this handicap = you should play x is to a certain point the garbage in our brains from advertising etc. if you aren't producing with ANY iron, you are not buying one that magically is putting you to 15 ft for birdie on every hole, ain't happening, the problem is the stick in the mirror, not the one in your hand.

No matter what you play, hit the ball crisply, then learn to hit it straight, and always keep working 70% of the time on chipping and putting. When I started breaking 80 consistently, the only difference in my game was breaking that barrier by me believing, really knowing deep down, I was going to make putts, and they started falling. At one time, I used to dread 8 foot putts, now I step up to them excited to drill them, and I am a 30 putt a round average player. I am saving a putting lesson for a in person lesson with my pro, and my boy thinks I am crazy to blow $100 on that becuase I am such a "good putter" in his mind, but I always leave the course thinking I left 3 putts out there, and IMO until you average 18 putts a round, you can make more putts. Eliminate 3 putts and 1 put 8 holes and see where your scores go regardless the irons in your bag.

You want to shoot good scores, stop thinking about your stupid irons and work on your overall swing and get really excited about putting, it is amazing how many you will even drop from 20ft.
[/quote]

solid advice above^^^^ let me tell you what I have done lately..... My 6 year old nephew and I have been practicing after school and work every day it isn't raining...all winter and all spring... we take a 2 gallon bucket .... place it in any given spot (changes every game and is random) we then pick out a spot to hit from..sometimes 10 yards..sometimes 30 yards etc.... sometimes from deeper cut Bermuda , and sometimes form a tighter mown area I have cut down ... (this is at my home) we each get 20 balls and we practice hitting that bucket .taking turns one shot at a time.. can be on a hop or on the fly...but we don't count rollers or skulled line drives ...... To make it interesting we play for a piece of candy or a $1 etc.... he a very competitive kid... believe it or not he beats me plenty of times ..... Now I said that to say this... My short game which I have always been confident with has gone up a whole different notch ...I cant tell you how much this daily routine and minor competition has improved my muscle memory and confidence... and the kid...well hes not human I don't think..lol hes now amazing himself opening up his 56 and hitting flop shots.... he still has a ways to go..but hes got plenty of raw talent... best thing is neither of us feel like we are "practicing" he begs me to play and what he doesn't know is I look forward to it more then he does..lol repetition of the proper action no matter what club is the key.... find a way to make it fun and do it often!!
[/quote]

I love this.

My wedges have been suffering with swing changes. Lately every night I walk down the canal behind my house. It is a myriad of lies from sand to fluffy weed beds. It is about 12 yards wide between wet or big lining hedge. I take my 56 or 59 and just hit balls at random crap, or just have a shot in mind (flop, lower ball etc.) and it it at the center, from 25 yards to full swings. I walk about 600 yards doing this a few times back and forth. It is calming and a healthy walk after dinner. Sometimes my 5 year old pounds his 7 with me, he has picked up my mantra given to him to not to swing hard, but hit the center of the face and the ball goes far, and when it does he looks at me and says "I hit the center and it was a good shot". Tonight I was alone and for the first time I didn't skull a shot, or hit one a little fat. All my shots were pure and more or less distance correct. Again, this is the side of a canal, we are not talking even muni course condition, so it really does prove the practice is doing something. Now will this effect my score this weekend, probably not, but I am becoming more comfortable with new wedges and more importantly short game swings with my recent big swing changes, and that will translate into something.

Anyway, I know this stuff is boring compared to playing proper clubs for your handicap, but BH had a good story and what's funny is I have been doing something similar myself, and making it a daily routine as well. Everyone has a yard or field or side of a canal or something, and logging in a few hundred ball contacts a week may be better energy spent than being concerned about your handicap to iron ratio...

[quote name='Pepperturbo' timestamp='1432170321' post='11597594']
Not meaning to rain on your enlightened parade, but this man has a different opinion on RSi 2s. I recently hit them, RSi TP, Tour Preferred CB, among others and bought RSi TP 2-PW with PX shafts. If I think about it, my view of RSi 2 coincides with TM's own statement on RSi 1&2 page... "TaylorMade studies show that 76% of shots hit by golfers are mis-hits." That about says it all, as to their purpose.[/quote]

☔️ Parade rained upon ... But id rather hear the truth.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

I'm a 7 or 8 handicap, and I play AP1's most of the time. But, if you are a 22 and enjoy playing AP2's, by all means, keep on playing them. Your needs when it comes to irons may be completely different than my needs.

To elaborate; I am distance challenged. I hit my driver about 235 - but I am pretty straight with it and I can hit the ball right to left if I have to, and make the right swing for that. My short game is pretty consistent, but not so wonderful that I am a 4 handicap or lower. My lag putting is very good, but I hardly ever make putts outside of 8 feet because I can't seem to get the ball online often enough.

If you are stronger than me - hit your 7-iron over 155 - you might be a perfect candidate for AP2's. I hit my 7-iron a bit short - 145 or so - and I need the added carry that the Ap1 provides me. You might have a slight over the top move, but stronger, and the AP2's might help you hit your irons, particularly from 6-iron to PW, on a more penetrating trajectory.

Funny game. Play what works.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Absolutely not, and don't know anyone who does. I play mostly with mid handicappers. Even the ones who are relatively strong iron players (compared to the rest of their game), which I consider myself, don't play irons that are more difficult to hit because, although we could probably get away with it, it would require more practice. I would rather devote more time to working on the trouble areas of my game, like putting.

[quote name='gvogel' timestamp='1432171810' post='11597790']
I'm a 7 or 8 handicap, and I play AP1's most of the time. But, if you are a 22 and enjoy playing AP2's, by all means, keep on playing them. Your needs when it comes to irons may be completely different than my needs.

To elaborate; I am distance challenged. I hit my driver about 235 - but I am pretty straight with it and I can hit the ball right to left if I have to, and make the right swing for that. My short game is pretty consistent, but not so wonderful that I am a 4 handicap or lower. My lag putting is very good, but I hardly ever make putts outside of 8 feet because I can't seem to get the ball online often enough.

[b]If you are stronger than me - hit your 7-iron over 155 - you might be a perfect candidate for AP2's. I hit my 7-iron a bit short - 145 or so - and I need the added carry that the Ap1 provides me. You might have a slight over the top move, but stronger, and the AP2's might help you hit your irons, particularly from 6-iron to PW, on a more penetrating trajectory. [/b]

Funny game. Play what works.
[/quote]

I prefer the opposite. I had j15 CB's, 7 iron carry was 167, prior to these were i25s and it was my 162 club... I much prefer the 162 7iron because it worked better for me in terms of yardages. I don't like hitting 138-142 PW's, I prefer 125-130 PW's... this is all my own preference. Like you said, funny game! Play whatever works.

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1432171541' post='11597752']
My wedges have been suffering with swing changes.
[/quote]

My high irons and wedges are killing me right now for the same reasons.

And as well as swing changes I've recently moved to a 55 from 100 yards an in instead of the trusty 51 I grew up with. Having played the local par 3 courses to death as a teenager, inside 120 yards was what could save me from a terrible round. I'm up the creek with out a paddle right now. It's almost worth considering to try and lay back to 150 yards.

Why I'm posting, range time has made a drastic shift towards my wedge game, and I think the trend is going to continue for as long as it takes. I wish I had a local field to walk through like that, sounds perfect.

[quote name='Wknd_Warrior' timestamp='1432172256' post='11597832']
[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1432171541' post='11597752']
My wedges have been suffering with swing changes.
[/quote]

My high irons and wedges are killing me right now for the same reasons.

And as well as swing changes I've recently moved to a 55 from 100 yards an in instead of the trusty 51 I grew up with. Having played the local par 3 courses to death as a teenager, inside 120 yards was what could save me from a terrible round. I'm up the creek with out a paddle right now. It's almost worth considering to try and lay back to 150 yards.

Why I'm posting, range time has made a drastic shift towards my wedge game, and I think the trend is going to continue for as long as it takes. I wish I had a local field to walk through like that, sounds perfect.
[/quote]

When I was a 7.5 index it was because I had a great short game from constant practice. Over the last three years I have focused solely on improving driving and iron striking, at the expense of my short game, and lo and behold, my index is 10.1 now. But I can hit my irons better than ever! Much better than three years ago for sure.

To Bigmean's (earlier) point, putting is typically the highest percentage of # of total strokes in a round so definitely that is the area where your handicap will improve the most, statistically speaking. Wedges and driver are up there too. And when you look at # of long iron shots, where forgiveness *may* matter, assuming every one of those strokes is saved (<-big assumption here), there are only a handful within a single round.

Statistically long irons are the least significant club type to help lower your score, whether they really do or don't.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1432170163' post='11597574']
My handicap is lower then the Mizuno recommended range....so i guess i'm the opposite
[/quote]

Same here. If G25's are the equivalents to the EZ line, they should theoretically be COSTING me 3 strokes/round at the minimum and a whopping 28 strokes/round on the high end! (EZ's are for 10-35 cappers according to mizuno's site)

I'm a 12 and play AP1 irons. I have a Scratch 47* which is essentially a blade (don't normally game this wedge). What I've found is that from a fairway lie, I hit the blade wedge as good as I hit the comparable wedge that came with the set. HOWEVER, from the rough, it is no contest.....I hit the AP1 club of a similar loft much better. Because I don't hit every fairway, I feel that the forgiveness of the cavity backed AP1 is the right choice for me.

I've got a friend that is truly a club ho.......he brings all kinds of irons to the range on a regular basis......I get to have a demo day often. Again, from a good lie, I hit the players irons pretty well. Because I don't hit every fairway, I am more comfortable with the game improvement irons.

To each his own, play whatever makes you happy :)

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1432172731' post='11597894']
To Bigmean's (earlier) point, putting is typically the highest percentage of # of total strokes in a round so definitely that is the area where your handicap will improve the most, statistically speaking. Wedges and driver are up there too. And when you look at # of long iron shots, where forgiveness *may* matter, assuming every one of those strokes is saved (<-big assumption here), there are only a handful within a single round.

Statistically long irons are the least significant club type to help lower your score, whether they really do or don't.
[/quote]

Some of the things I used to think separated me from guys that might have had a better long game was pitching, chipping and lag putting. They are all tourniquets. Nothing closes down a bad hole better than chipping it to 14 inches when you are just off the fringe. Between the odd tight chip and leaving some 4 footers to get up and down, I used to have half a chance of bailing myself out a few times a round. I'm not seeing much of that action yet this year.

For the topic, ya I play clubs out of my range strictly speaking. I've gone through "eras" where I was probably playing to mid SD inside 175 yards. Right now I'm not hitting it quite that good but the real problem is I'm skanking wedge shots :(. I'm just so used to hacking those off my back foot for 35 years. Not much anything can do about that seeing as how I'm either missing the bloody grooves or turning the sod over the ball.

[quote name='wlargen' timestamp='1432176280' post='11598324']
I'm a 12 and play AP1 irons. I have a Scratch 47* which is essentially a blade (don't normally game this wedge). What I've found is that from a fairway lie, I hit the blade wedge as good as I hit the comparable wedge that came with the set. HOWEVER, from the rough, it is no contest.....I hit the AP1 club of a similar loft much better. Because I don't hit every fairway, I feel that the forgiveness of the cavity backed AP1 is the right choice for me.
[/quote]

that's interesting, I would have guessed the other way around. Is it because the scratch is too diggy?

I'm a 10 and all I know is i want a set of MP 69's.
Always looking for a deal on a slightly used set........

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I've got a friend that is truly a club ho.......he brings all kinds of irons to the range on a regular basis......I get to have a demo day often. Again, from a good lie, I hit the players irons pretty well. Because I don't hit every fairway, I am more comfortable with the game improvement irons.

[/quote]

Interesting. I find hitting a [u][i]small[/i][/u] club gives me better results from the long grass.

[quote name='Marand' timestamp='1432180535' post='11598688']

[/quote]

Interesting. I find hitting a [u][i]small[/i][/u] club gives me better results from the long grass.
[/quote]

That's my experience too. Baby blades are by far the easiest clubs to hit from out of the rough than anything else. A smaller clubhead will have less friction from cutting through tall grass than a larger clubhead. A thinner sole also is better. All this is backed by the physics. The forces of friction will be proportional to the surface area of the club in contact with the grass. My SGI hybrid irons (with largest surface area) were the worst from out of the rough compared to my MP-67s and MP-60s at the time.

Registered Bladeocrat

Some of these posts are hard to read. It almost hurts. Play whatever you guys like. No one will honestly care apart from people reading the justification on this site. If you like what you are playing, then play it and forget about it. If you like yours clubs then that should be all the justification you need. Unless you prefer to post about it on here just to have people tell you to play GI/SGI. If you dont hit the center of the face often...do YOURSELF a favor and either learn to live with that, or play bigger irons. Thats what it will boil down to every time. No need fpr anymore of these threads.... Lol

[quote name='CDSchalch' timestamp='1432182136' post='11598794']
Some of these posts are hard to read. It almost hurts. Play whatever you guys like. No one will honestly care apart from people reading the justification on this site. If you like what you are playing, then play it and forget about it. If you like yours clubs then that should be all the justification you need. Unless you prefer to post about it on here just to have people tell you to play GI/SGI. If you dont hit the center of the face often...do YOURSELF a favor and either learn to live with that, or play bigger irons. Thats what it will boil down to every time. No need fpr anymore of these threads.... Lol
[/quote]

But what if my baby blade 4 iron hit outside the grooves on the toe goes 160 yards (lol yea right) and I totally meant for it to go 165. That means GI forgiveness is a myth.

[quote name='J40' timestamp='1432182504' post='11598820']
[/quote]

But what if my baby blade 4 iron hit outside the grooves on the toe goes 160 yards (lol yea right) and I totally meant for it to go 165. That means GI forgiveness is a myth.
[/quote]

Go Vols with your baby blades! When did you get them? I had a similar experience.

Registered Bladeocrat

[/quote]

[/quote]

Shaking my head...LOL.

Everyone please just take my advice. Dont post anymore reasoning and just play whatever you want. IF YOU HAVE TO QUESTION IT OR POST YOUR REASONING TO JUSTIFY THEN DONT PLAY THEM. Or live with it. Thats completely up to you. Forgiveness is no joke. It is simple and it works. More weight distribution in places where mishits happen isnt a fluke.

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1432182736' post='11598832']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Go Vols with your baby blades! When did you get them? I had a similar experience.
[/quote]

I thought he was being sarcastic...just throwing that out there...

[quote name='CDSchalch' timestamp='1432182928' post='11598844']
I thought he was being sarcastic...just throwing that out there...
[/quote]

Oh I thought the point of the thread was to post in your own experience what kind of irons you hit and some of us are doing that as per the OP first post. Just throwing that out there..

Registered Bladeocrat

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)][color=#2c2c2c][size=4]I went to Goldsmith to hit the G30s & 850 Cast. However, I had time to hit several clubs. I hit the 850 forged just as well as the cast. And I'm not really a Taylor Made guy but I grabbed an RSi 2 laying around ... I hit this 7i better than my own G2, the two 850s or either AP1/AP2. With the RSi 2 being a "player's iron", it gives you something to think about. Maybe I have more options than I originally thought.[/size][/color][/background]

[background=rgb(250, 250, 250)][color=#2c2c2c][size=4]I'm not making a decision to buy a club based off of one day, but is it common for guys to hit clubs "[/size][/color][/background][color=#2c2c2c][size=4]above" their handicap? Or do you play with clubs that match your handicap?[/size][/color]
[/quote]

I'm 74. I play blades now.

After a hiatus of 20 years from golf when I realized my old Ping Eye2+ irons with their standard EZ Lite shafts (extra stiff was the only choice) simply didn't work for a senior's swing speed, I first tested a bunch of highly rated irons, all the major brands, all game improvement, to make a change. I first settled on Titleist AP-2s as the best fit for my rusty swing - and my eye, but then, after hitting a few thousand range balls and a few rounds in the 90's, and reading some of the reviews here and elsewhere, tested, then moved to Mizuno's MP-64s which I found I hit better (further and tighter dispersion), and yes, the rumors of their 'buttery feel' are true. Finally after thousands of range balls more, and a couple dozen rounds (mostly a mix of mid 80's to mid/high 90's) I started testing highly regarded blades, and found them to be better for me than any of their predecessors. It's simply not about handicap, it's about what fits your eye and gives you the confidence you must have to play your best. Those might be Ping G30s, or TaylorMade RSi 2s, Nike Vapor Speeds, or Titleist muscle backs. Try them [i]all[/i] outdoors off of grass, range or course. Trackman indoors is [i]not[/i] going to give you the answer. Take your time. In my case, after buying a set of blades my scores dropped immediately - by quite a lot actually.

And if it doesn't work, make a change.

[quote name='Marand' timestamp='1432185950' post='11599030'][quote name='Little Ned' timestamp='1432082380' post='11589848']

[/quote]

After a hiatus of 20 years from golf when I realized my old Ping Eye2+ irons with their standard EZ Lite shafts (extra stiff was the only choice) simply didn't work for a senior's swing speed, I first tested a bunch of highly rated irons, all the major brands, all game improvement, to make a change. I first settled on Titleist AP-2s as the best fit for my rusty swing - and my eye, but then, after hitting a few thousand range balls and a few rounds in the 90's, and reading some of the reviews here and elsewhere, tested, then moved to Mizuno's MP-64s which I found I hit better (further and tighter dispersion), and yes, the rumors of their 'buttery feel' are true. Finally after thousands of range balls more, and a couple dozen rounds (mostly a mix of mid 80's to mid/high 90's) I started testing highly regarded blades, and found them to be better for me than any of their predecessors. It's simply not about handicap, it's about what fits your eye and gives you the confidence you must have to play your best. Those might be Ping G30s, or TaylorMade RSi 2s, Nike Vapor Speeds, or Titleist muscle backs. Try them [i]all[/i] outdoors off of grass, range or course. Trackman indoors is [i]not[/i] going to give you the answer. Take your time. In my case, after buying a set of blades my scores dropped immediately - by quite a lot actually.

And if it doesn't work, make a change.[/quote]

I completely agree. I went through a similar journey with my iron choice- thankfully I have an understanding wife:) Although I did not end up in a true muscle back iron I did end up in something similar- Ping S55s. After some testing indoors on Trackman, almost all my results with the irons "looked" about the same. After hitting some really nice golf balls (ProV 1, etc) outside off a grass range, the results were unequivocal. As both my fitter (who I have known for quite sometime) and Ping reps eloquently pointed out, "The proof is in the pudding."
As Marand said, take your time, test outside, and let the results speak for themselves.
I would humbly add that after you find the iron, get the shaft fitted, lie angles adjusted, etc. The father of my brother-in-law once gave me some really great advice, "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right."
Good luck again! I would be very interested to see what you end up with.

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

[quote name='Marand' timestamp='1432185950' post='11599030']

And if it doesn't work, make a change.
[/quote]

Appreciate the post and every post in this thread for that matter. It's not I'm aiming to hit blades or play something out of my league. It's that I've got a baby on the way, a new house, and my wife is starting her doctorate. I won't be buying new irons for a while. Thus, I need to do my best to get this set right. And I don't know what that set might be. I thought it'd likely be G30s or JPX 850s or maybe some GI of the like. But my experience the other day coupled with this thread has me opening my horizons. At least to begin with anyway. I don't know where I'll end up, but I do know that I'll open up every door along the way. This thread has helped me more than I could have imagined and I thank you guys for that.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Cobra F8 7W
Cobra F8 4H
Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
Callaway MD3 54*
Callaway MD PM 58*
Ping Sigma G Tyne

[quote name='J40' timestamp='1432219285' post='11600734']
[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1432205356' post='11599410']
Does anyone else think that major brand oem executives ever log on here and read this sorta stuff and laugh their butts off and feel a sense of pride about how successful their marketing machine is?
[/quote]

Like a lot of us they probably just laugh
[/quote]

Or shrug. Threads like this are full of people justifying why they are playing clubs that conventional wisdom suggests are beyond their ability. Same people, same arguments. Play what you want people.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Does anyone else think that major brand oem executives ever log on here and read this sorta stuff and laugh their butts off and feel a sense of pride about how successful their marketing machine is?
[/quote]

Yes, clearly they pump money into R&D and marketing for multiple types of irons solely because they want to trick people into believing in the science behind GI clubs, and then laugh at them on an internet message board.

[quote name='SeaOfGreen10' timestamp='1432220474' post='11600874']
[/quote]

Yes, clearly they pump money into R&D and marketing for multiple types of irons solely because they want to trick people into believing in the science behind GI clubs, and then laugh at them on an internet message board.
[/quote]

They realize it's gonna be hopeless for some segments. Nobody cares what anybody plays imo it's just the argument and "rationale" they provide. Also how something just suits "their swing" while hitting it all over the face and shooting in the 90s. They try to argue forgiveness is a myth and MOI is the devil but based on their own provided data of mishits, 160 5 irons, 180 3 irons, etc how could these things be bad especially for them? I know there's good players on here that play blades but I think most stay out of these conversations.