2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Poor Quality, Even Worst Customer Service

Evil R1

Adams Golf
I purchased an Adams Idea Pro 4h back in February and the fit and finish of the club was perfect. So I purchased a 2h and a 3h each leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

The groves on the 2h looked like they were cut but a 6 year old using a Dremmel they bought at the home depot. I figured it was a one time flaw that didn't affect performance, so who cares. So after waiting 3 months, my 3h finally comes in, guess what it's just as messed up as the 2h I purchased. Below is a picture of the 2h on the left and the 4h on the right. The 3h is actually worse than the 2h with very uneven depths in the groves.

I figured, no problem, I'll just call Adams Golf, but they wouldn't even speak to me about it, telling me just to bring it back to the Dealer, blah blah blah. I tried to explain I would rather deal with them than to get the dealer involved, but they didn't care, bye bye, and they hung up.

I bring it back to the dealer who could not warrantee the club b/c I had it re-gripped with a different grip and hit a few balls with it, so he was going to just swap it with another from his inventory. While I really appreciated his offer, he runs it's a small shop and I didn't want him to be stuck with a flawed club that was ever so slightly used.

It wasn't so much that there was a problem with the club, I can understand that, but TWO? And to top it off, their customer service was horrible. Put all this together, I will never purchase, nor recommend to anyone, any Adams Golf Products.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Performance isn't an issue, I drill all 3 of these clubs dead straight and have no problems getting spin on the ball. I'm happy with the performance, and I seem to get the same performance from the 4h as I do with the 2h and 3h.

For me the real issue is poor quality control. I purchased 3 Adams Clubs, and 2 of 3 were flawed (66%) and the company wouldn't even talk to me about it. To me, that's a formula to lose me as a customer.

This seems kinda picky to me for that to be a problem, golf clubs are made to be hit, because I doubt you cant see this from address. Like Springbok said if you hit it well who cares???, but I will say it is your money and you should get what you paid for so to each his own, but this to me seems a little nit picky. If it were mine I would never had noticed that. Just my opinion not trying to start anything, BTW those are sweet hybrids

J

To be honest, I don't know what the big deal is. It doesn't affect anything and I don't believe too many, if any, people will see the bottom of the grooves. It doesn't appear to be a defect, just a manufacturing process. And just because someone doesn't solve what you perceive to be a problem the way you want doesn't mean bad customer service. They did give you an option to resolve your issue, just not the way you wanted.

I don't want to come across as attacking you but you did post this wanting our opinions. In this case I just don't agree that this is anything to get all wound up about.

I understand what everyone is saying and appreciate your input. I agree that it's 100% nit picky since it doesn't seem to affect performance at all. It's not something like the shaft popped out, the ferrle was cracked, or my 20º was really 22.5º's. It's something I noticed when cleaning my 2h when I first got it and probably never would have thought about it again.

In the end, it really was that I was just taken back a bit by the quality control/attention to detail from Adams. It's not like I'm going to return them or sell the because of this, I just would have assumed that at least cosmetically, all clubs on the shelf should be equal, but maybe my expecatations are too high and I really am that much of a pain in the Word not allowed as a customer (my wife would say so). I was also surprised by Adams lack of interest in dealing directly with their customers.

Oh well, life goes on...

OEM's have distributors/retailers for a reason. It is to handle issues for them in addition to selling their gear. Adams is not unique in this regard. If they were willing to rectify the situation by going through the normal channels of doing business, why not take them up on it? I've attempted to deal directly with other OEM's directly in the past, and gotten the same answer. It's just part of doing business, not bad service.

Besides, Adams may be interested in seeing the clubs for themselves so they CAN improve their QC.

Was this an Ebay/forum purchase by any chance? For what it's worth, my 1H, 3H, and 4H are all the same (purchased separately) and perform beautifully.

Can someone edumakate me?

Except for the "nipples" in the very end of grooves of the left club, I can't tell a difference. And those all look the same, so they look intentional to me.

What am I missing?

More than the "nipples" The groves on the left are alot deeperadn no where near as unifored (Doesn't really show it very well on the picture) than the "good" 4h on the right. Acutally, looking at the photo's it doesn't really show how the uneven the grooves are/etc.

But, I'm done with the topic, I was just throwing out my expirience with Adams, and I'm moving on with my day. :friends:

Can someone edumakate me?

Except for the "nipples" in the very end of grooves of the left club, I can't tell a difference. And those all look the same, so they look intentional to me.

What am I missing?

More than the "nipples" The groves on the left are alot deeperadn no where near as unifored (Doesn't really show it very well on the picture) than the "good" 4h on the right. Acutally, looking at the photo's it doesn't really show how the uneven the grooves are/etc.

But, I'm done with the topic, I was just throwing out my expirience with Adams, and I'm moving on with my day. :friends:

Okay, now that you explain it, I do see now how the grooves on the left club get deeper the closer they get to the nipples.

I do agree with you about Adams customer service! I had a problem with the TECH OS irons! I send them an e-mail and they gave me the usual BA BA BA! THEY COULD HAVE CARED LESS! I will not buy any more clubs from a company that will not stand behind their products! Thankfully I had purchased them from GOLFSMITH so I had the 90/90 policy so they took them back and I lost 10%! To me ADAMS is a second rate company with terrible customer service!

The problem is Evil. I think you're use to dealing with the best in the biz at customer service...Callaway. Even though guys are kinda jumping on you, hey its your money. Golf equipment isF$#@%^&g expensive, lets face it. We spend tons of $$$ on extremely small improvements year to year the least these oem's could do is be helpful when a guy calls in. If we all invested in stocks, what we spent on golf where would we be in 30 years ? ... that just wouldn't be that fun though lol

I am not a complainer and I think Adams mostly makes good clubs. However, in my two experiences just asking them a basic question re their product (via customer service line), they were rude and not very happy to be bothered. Other OEMs are friendly. Also, their Web site is outdated, their newsletter has not been updated since 2005, their brochures and collateral have mistakes...in other words, not quite up to Callaway, Taylor Made, Cleveland, etc. in customer service...and doing the small things right. Writing them does no good, you won't get a response, based on my experience.

roberthd
Menlo Park, Calif.

* Cobra F-Max Superlite 11.5-degree 
* Wilson Launch Pad 3-wood
* Wilson Launch Pad Fybrid

* Cobra F-Max 5-6-7 Hybrid 
* Cobra F-Max One Length 8-9-PW-GW
* Cleveland CBX 2 54, Smart Sole 58
* Some old Odyssey putter

OEM's have distributors/retailers for a reason. It is to handle issues for them in addition to selling their gear. Adams is not unique in this regard. If they were willing to rectify the situation by going through the normal channels of doing business, why not take them up on it? I've attempted to deal directly with other OEM's directly in the past, and gotten the same answer. It's just part of doing business, not bad service.

Besides, Adams may be interested in seeing the clubs for themselves so they CAN improve their QC.

Was this an Ebay/forum purchase by any chance? For what it's worth, my 1H, 3H, and 4H are all the same (purchased separately) and perform beautifully.

Exactly right! We retailers are their link to the consumer. I just met w/ my Adams rep today and there is nothing that he wouldn't do to make sure a loyal customer was happy...even if it had to come out of his own pocket. Adams is one of the best companies to work with. There is a reason you can't order dierectly from the manufacturer.

BDL

This is the reason retail golf shops are in business. If you have a problem, talk to the retailer you bought them from. They will call the company and remedy the problem(at least I would.) Most of the time the you will get nowhere with a company(other than callaway/ping) through their customer service line, they want to talk to the retailer. If you want to send them to me I will get you new ones if you are unhappy. It will just take me some time to send them in and get some new ones. Also, Adams has a 30 day no questions asked playability guarantee if you arnt satisfied with the performance/quality of the product. Why didnt you excercise this feature? The big question is where did you buy them?

Steve

Callaway? Are you nuts? Last season they ran out of head for X-18 irons. Did they tell customers who ordered them there would be a six- to eight-week delay? Heck no. Ping seems to offer the best customer service in the business. Perhaps because they use many US manufacturing sites?

Nothing against several other companies out there; Titleist/Cobra, Mizuno, Cleveland/Never Compromise all seem fine, too.