2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Classic putters

[quote name='scomac2002' timestamp='1441719345' post='12280308']
[quote name='Jgb333' timestamp='1441711598' post='12279794']
The wealth of knowledge on this particular forum is astounding...I know it's an impossible question to answer...but I thought it would be a fun mental exercise...as I get older I'm tending to gravitate back towards more classic clubs....blade styled putters....forged irons....I wonder if it's nostalgia or if modern technology really has not advanced all that much...or maybe I'm cheap
[/quote]

Nostalgia can be a powerful motivator. I think it's what drives a lot of us on this corner of the site and there's nothing wrong with that. In some ways, I tend to agree that modern technology is not so advanced more from the perspective of what is sacrificed in the name of gain in some other area.

To my way of thinking a putter is a putter and a wedge is a wedge. Not a lot has changed in these clubs over the past half century beyond the insert thing and grooves and face treatments. In the hands of the average human, gains could be fleeting.

With irons, I think launch and forgiveness in terms of loss of ball speed across the face are the biggest advances. The more bits and bobbles you add to an iron head, the less feel you get, even more so with a graphite shaft for a handle. Once you get beyond the distance factor there are arguments to be made either way, but in terms of ease of use has anything materially been gained since the Ping G2...or even further back to the Eye2?

Outside of the ball, woods are where the biggest advances have been made IMO both from a distance and forgiveness perspective. My modern metal woods vintage 2010 are longer and more forgiving than my old War birds with those having similar advantages over the laminates and persimmons that preceded them.

Where vintage truly can shine is in the value department. Does that make us cheap? I don't know, but as many have said there is a certain measure of satisfaction from outplaying a competitor with a small fortune tied up in his bag of the latest and greatest! It does seem fanciful to spend $500 on a putter that will sink no more putts than $50 vintage flat stick via eBay auction from an equally gifted craftsman as our own Tad Moore. Unless there's a collectibility factor built in, one can put together a very playable and satisfying bag of clubs on the cheap by mixing and matching old and newer; perhaps not thrift store cheap, but you get the idea.

Strangely enough, for me at least, the move to vintage golf has more or less extinguished the flame that was continually driving me to search for the next better thing that might help my game. Now, I just want to play with whatever is lying around and moves me to give it a go. Sure there are vintage clubs I'd like to give a try; perhaps a set of Hogans or Ram blades just to see what they're all about or a Cleveland Classic, but that's more out of curiosity than any notion that my game will be necessarily better for it. That in and of itself has freed my mind to truly enjoy the game for what it is. There in lies the true beauty of playing vintage clubs!
[/quote]
That was well stated...you've articulated exactly how I feel...I also find that playing vintage clubs relieves me of the burden to produce lower and lower scores...Reaching a skill level or attitude level were score does not really matter that much enables me to play for pure enjoyment...and I find vintage clubs enjoyable...a pure strike on a wilson fg-17 or the thud of a well struck persimmon...who cares how far it goes

Driver: Cobra King F8 Nardo 
5w: Cobra King F8 5-6 Nardo
Hybrid: Cobra King F7 4-5
Irons: Ping G 6-UW

Wedge: TaylorMade milled grind 56
Putter: Cleveland Classic #7

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='scomac2002' timestamp='1441719345' post='12280308']

Strangely enough, for me at least, [b]the move to vintage golf has more or less extinguished the flame that was continually driving me to search for the next better thing that might help my game. [/b] Now, I just want to play with whatever is lying around and moves me to give it a go. Sure there are vintage clubs I'd like to give a try; perhaps a set of Hogans or Ram blades just to see what they're all about or a Cleveland Classic, but that's more out of curiosity than any notion that my game will be necessarily better for it.
[/quote]

Very true. But I'm sure I'm not the only one here for whom trying to "buy a game" has been replaced by trying to buy a "full set" of Hogans. And I'm not talking 3 - E, or even 1 - S. No, we're talking 54 - 94, and maybe a little more besides.... And similar, for MacGregor, Wilson etc...

One of the best feeling classic putters around is Mr Moore's " Woosie" blade!

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

[quote name='birly-shirly' timestamp='1441487435' post='12268950']
Now, I like an Anser as much as the next guy, but really? Is that the definition, be-all and end-all of classic design now?
[/quote]
While having a lazy day, I thought I'd put the telly on for some Walker Cup action.
Seems to me, the best reason for answer style putters is so these guys can flick the ball up with the back side and catch it.

[quote name='pdgolferman' timestamp='1442142704' post='12306892']
While having a lazy day, I thought I'd put the telly on for some Walker Cup action.
Seems to me, the best reason for answer style putters is so these guys can flick the ball up with the back side and catch it.
[/quote]

There are other handy uses as well like a walking stick when scaling steep embankments from green to cart path at the local links course particularly in wet conditions. BTW a Zing works just as well. Also, I found it very handy for scooping and flinging balls out of the rough to my playing partners across the green. Call it a new fangled form of hurling. ;)

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

[quote name='pdgolferman' timestamp='1442142704' post='12306892']
........the best reason for answer style putters is so these guys can flick the ball up with the back side and catch it.
[/quote]

An important design criteria in evaluating a putter. The ability to scoop w/o bending makes one look like a playa. Also, the 10' flick of a buddy's ball back to 'em takes a deft touch.

Took a couple of seasons to teach the Mrs. the fine points of a well executed scoop. She is now quite proficient at it. Impresses her gal friends during their weekly round, so she tells me.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

[quote name='birly-shirly' timestamp='1441723893' post='12280850']

Very true. But I'm sure I'm not the only one here for whom trying to "buy a game" has been replaced by trying to buy a "full set" of Hogans. And I'm not talking 3 - E, or even 1 - S. No, we're talking 54 - 94, and maybe a little more besides.... And similar, for MacGregor, Wilson etc...
[/quote]

Oh yes .... a thousand curses on Kaplan, and that bloke who did the Hogan iron chart ... between them they have cost me far too much money :)

Having said that, the only Hogan irons I want now are the new ones ... and maybe a set of Personals lol

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

All very good interesting comments, i am now coming to the end of my season after next weekends club champs, where i put away all the new fangled gear and crack out the old.

I personally love playing with the freedom of the old equipment, frees the mind of the ability/expectation of scoring well, and allows you to just play golf.

That said, i still want to improve, by nature im competitive, so if i see a persimmon driver that costs £100 that i really like the look of and think yeah I could hit that i will chase after it. So is that any different to chasing after the new driver taylormade have just brought out, no course it isnt, just camouflageing it up under merely a different nostalgic era.

As for Putters, well to me they are unique, they are your best friend, even lover! Yet can cause you more hurt than all the others put together! I think Karsten Solheim created the perfect design for a putter, it is very difficult to improve on perfection, and As Liam Gallagher (Oasis) said when asked why none of the subsequent albums were as good as their debut album, he responded, "no your right, but neither has anyone else created anything better"

[quote name='MoaningM' timestamp='1442221698' post='12310388']
All very good interesting comments, i am now coming to the end of my season after next weekends club champs, where i put away all the new fangled gear and crack out the old.

[/quote]

Good luck for the Club Champs Dave !

One year you should try your hand at that with the vintage kit. I reckon you'd do all right judging from how you hit that Joe Powell driver when we had a few holes at Tenby back in March :)

[quote name='Blade Junkie' timestamp='1442227500' post='12310470']
[quote name='MoaningM' timestamp='1442221698' post='12310388']

[/quote]

Good luck for the Club Champs Dave !

One year you should try your hand at that with the vintage kit. I reckon you'd do all right judging from how you hit that Joe Powell driver when we had a few holes at Tenby back in March :)
[/quote]

Cheers Geoff,

Really am looking forward to cracking out the vintage again this year, picked up a dozen nice 384 tour's balatas ready, along with my hickory sets expanding very quickly. I will get our pro out this year using the hickory sets, we have been meaning to do a video in the indoor studio comparing hickory to retro (persimmon) to modern gear all with trackman numbers etc. we will get there, when we do ill post the vid up, topps and shanks included

Are you playing aberdovey next year?

[quote name='MoaningM' timestamp='1442231352' post='12310576']

Cheers Geoff,

Really am looking forward to cracking out the vintage again this year, picked up a dozen nice 384 tour's balatas ready, along with my hickory sets expanding very quickly. I will get our pro out this year using the hickory sets, we have been meaning to do a video in the indoor studio comparing hickory to retro (persimmon) to modern gear all with trackman numbers etc. we will get there, when we do ill post the vid up, topps and shanks included ����

Are you playing aberdovey next year?
[/quote]

Sounds like an interesting video in prospect !

And yes - definitely be at Aberdovey again .... are you going to join BGCS and play ? Christian McMillan just signed up FYI