2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Tampa Area Private Clubs

nyclifevicarious

Hi Everyone,

We are considering relocating from Long Island (Nassau) to the Tampa Area. A big reason for that is better access to golf, and a longer season (if one can bear to play in the summer that is). I really want to join a private club, but not finding great info on them, and most clubs seems public. The reason I am leaning private is really want an active mens club, would like to be able to play in mens club tournaments, club championships, etc., and typically private clubs are in better condition then public tracks. If there are public courses that offer that, as well as rounds consistently under 4.5 hours, I am totally open to that. Budget for a club (full family golf) would be up to $800 a month so Avila is out.

So in the end, looking for the following:

Family Friendly Golf Course Community (we have two young girls who I hope will play, but wife does play)

Active Mens Club

Course in Good Condition

If Private, < $800 for dues (and cart/cart plan for me only if possible)

If public, <$70 rounds

Any recommendations? Or even good realtors that specialize in golf properties?

Thanks in advance!

Christian

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most clubs in the Tampa that actually started out private end up opening the doors for SOME outside play. You have Tampa Palms and Hunter's Green, which I was a member at for a few years. Good clubs, but still cookie-cutter developments. I grew up in Westchester County, so I got a feel for what you are accustomed to. Carrollwood is probably reasonably priced, as is Old Memorial. Overall, not a REAL strong private club market here, but as always there are several......Lake Jovita is semi-private, with open play in the afternoon, I believe.....

I spoke with Hunters Green yesterday. The price is right, $250 for executive (under 42) with no initiation. Jumps to $400 when the youngest turns 42 (in our case that would be me in March of 17). And that includes play at Hunters Green and Cross Bay and Society benefits at Tampa Palms. I haven't yet seen the course. The membership director mentioned they are about to go into a million dollar update, but I believe that was all, or mostly clubhouse renovations.

I spoke with Hunters Green yesterday. The price is right, $250 for executive (under 42) with no initiation. Jumps to $400 when the youngest turns 42 (in our case that would be me in March of 17). And that includes play at Hunters Green and Cross Bay and Society benefits at Tampa Palms. I haven't yet seen the course. The membership director mentioned they are about to go into a million dollar update, but I believe that was all, or mostly clubhouse renovations.

That's the unfortunate thing about ClubCorp courses in the Tampa market. They will spend money...just never on the course. Both East Lake Woodlands and Tampa Palms spent a bunch of money in the last couple years to create cool bar areas. If I were a member at either club, I would be extremely bummed out that those funds weren't directed towards the golf course. Both TP and Hunters Green are a pretty healthy drive if you're living on the south side.

How much many are you willing to put down? Also, location is critical. If you're looking to live in South Tampa (great schools) then your options are limited on the private side. Palma Ceia is has a great vibe and the best "family" feel of any club in the area. That said, unless you stroke a check for the corporate rate, you'll be on a wait list for a few years. Feather Sound is the next closest option.

Have you narrowed down where you'd be living or working?

Most clubs in the Tampa that actually started out private end up opening the doors for SOME outside play. You have Tampa Palms and Hunter's Green, which I was a member at for a few years. Good clubs, but still cookie-cutter developments. I grew up in Westchester County, so I got a feel for what you are accustomed to. Carrollwood is probably reasonably priced, as is Old Memorial. Overall, not a REAL strong private club market here, but as always there are several......Lake Jovita is semi-private, with open play in the afternoon, I believe.....

Old Memorial is reasonably priced? Please explain.

Carrollwood is a nice option with 27 holes and has a pretty good family vibe. However, there is quite a bit of outside play in season due to the lodging on site. Also, unless you go the private school route in that area, you're in a s*** school district.

old memorial like palma ceia doesn't need money to get in.... you need connections.

average joe can't pay to get in.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

if you lived in the st pete side, Pasadena country club and the Vinoy golf club is reasonable in price. The vinoy has an initiate fee that I think is reasonable because they break it up in payment plans.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

That's the unfortunate thing about ClubCorp courses in the Tampa market. They will spend money...just never on the course. Both East Lake Woodlands and Tampa Palms spent a bunch of money in the last couple years to create cool bar areas. If I were a member at either club, I would be extremely bummed out that those funds weren't directed towards the golf course. Both TP and Hunters Green are a pretty healthy drive if you're living on the south side.

How much many are you willing to put down? Also, location is critical. If you're looking to live in South Tampa (great schools) then your options are limited on the private side. Palma Ceia is has a great vibe and the best "family" feel of any club in the area. That said, unless you stroke a check for the corporate rate, you'll be on a wait list for a few years. Feather Sound is the next closest option.

Have you narrowed down where you'd be living or working?

I work from home so doesn't matter. My wife will travel to different places, her territory would be from Clearwater to Lakeland. Not sure how far north and south, but not that far apparently. Central between those two places, in a good school district is fine. But if skewed either east or west, don't think it's a big deal either. Preference would probably be east as wife likes the idea of being closer to Disney, but that's certainly not an absolute requirement.

As far as initiations, $0 is best, but would be willing to spend a bit for the right club. Couldn't see spending more than 25k though, and that would be a tough sell to the wife.

Carrollwood is a nice option with 27 holes and has a pretty good family vibe. However, there is quite a bit of outside play in season due to the lodging on site. Also, unless you go the private school route in that area, you're in a s*** school district.

Yeah, that's what I saw about Carrollwood. Course seems reasonably recommended, but as you say, schools suck. Don't particularly want to send kids to private.

old memorial like palma ceia doesn't need money to get in.... you need connections.

average joe can't pay to get in.

I'm definitely average joe, I don't know a soul in Tampa.

LOL, had Old Memorial on the brain because I just played there. I meant to throw in a few others as possibilities. I gave up the private club scene because frankly, they aren't the best courses around by far, IMO........

I'm a member at East Lake Woodlands. I just joined back up a few months ago. Not sure if they have put $ in the course or not lately but I really don't see what else they can do. They are adding in a creek to the front of #1 South, which actually kills me cause it is reachable in 2 for me.

As far as the men's club the average age is in the 60+ range. I am about the same age as you (I'm 42) though and I would like to get a few more people to play with closer to my age.

The development is a wide variety of priced houses, from $150k condos to $1m+ houses. Not sure on school district around there.

OP PM me if you want to try it out.

Bayou is one of the better clubs. Another potential good course is Cypress Run towards Tarpon Springs (north Clearwater area). Personally I'd not recommend considering Lake Jovita. Conditions range from good to pathetic at times. expensive plus large food and beverage minimum. Membership dropping and very very unhappy with owners.

Innesbruck is semi-private but offers memberships to homeowners there. Between Hunters green and Tampa Palms, I'd take Tampa Palms any day. Stronger course and better overall although club corp does provide many advantages.

To be honest, though, except for Old Memorial which is almost impossible to become a member of if you don't know someone, the public/semi-private courses in the tampa area are far superior to the private. Best Private beside Old Memorial is Black Diamond but its a long ways north of tampa. Way Out of normal commuting distance. Avila, and Palma Ceia are good clubs but expensive and hard to get it into.

Many of the semi-privates have membership options that cause reduced fees and practice times. TPC Tampa Bay, Fox Hollow and Southern Hills come to mind in that respect. Lots of clubs with housing developments attached in Florida.

Carrollwood if You just go there as a club is probably one of the more active type clubs for what you are looking for. Just don't live in the neighborhood.

I used to belong to Cypress Run but moved far enough away that its not practical for me to remain a member. I live at lake Jovita but play mostly all over (a lot at World Woods in Brooksville). I am a world Woods card holder as that's the best deal in the world. For about $300 i can play all the time for $40 in prime season and $25 in off season with cart at a top 100 rated course with probably the best practice area in the world.

I also have a Paradise card and an Exec card each of which give me seriously reduced rates or free rounds at a lot of the local courses, including some private courses with tournaments if I'm so interested.

Biggest consideration really should be where you will be living. That will more than anything dictate what your golf options will be. Trust me, you really don't want to be driving across tampa to clearwater or reverse to play golf all the time. The commute is not fun. If the private course isn't reasonably close, you probably won't use it as much as you think you will. Commuting in Tampa can be a nightmare.

But that said, there's lots of courses within an hour+ commute to play.

Bayou is one of the better clubs. Another potential good course is Cypress Run towards Tarpon Springs (north Clearwater area). Personally I'd not recommend considering Lake Jovita. Conditions range from good to pathetic at times. expensive plus large food and beverage minimum. Membership dropping and very very unhappy with owners.

Innesbruck is semi-private but offers memberships to homeowners there. Between Hunters green and Tampa Palms, I'd take Tampa Palms any day. Stronger course and better overall although club corp does provide many advantages.

To be honest, though, except for Old Memorial which is almost impossible to become a member of if you don't know someone, the public/semi-private courses in the tampa area are far superior to the private. Best Private beside Old Memorial is Black Diamond but its a long ways north of tampa. Way Out of normal commuting distance. Avila, and Palma Ceia are good clubs but expensive and hard to get it into.

Many of the semi-privates have membership options that cause reduced fees and practice times. TPC Tampa Bay, Fox Hollow and Southern Hills come to mind in that respect. Lots of clubs with housing developments attached in Florida.

Carrollwood if You just go there as a club is probably one of the more active type clubs for what you are looking for. Just don't live in the neighborhood.

I used to belong to Cypress Run but moved far enough away that its not practical for me to remain a member. I live at lake Jovita but play mostly all over (a lot at World Woods in Brooksville). I am a world Woods card holder as that's the best deal in the world. For about $300 i can play all the time for $40 in prime season and $25 in off season with cart at a top 100 rated course with probably the best practice area in the world.

I also have a Paradise card and an Exec card each of which give me seriously reduced rates or free rounds at a lot of the local courses, including some private courses with tournaments if I'm so interested.

Biggest consideration really should be where you will be living. That will more than anything dictate what your golf options will be. Trust me, you really don't want to be driving across tampa to clearwater or reverse to play golf all the time. The commute is not fun. If the private course isn't reasonably close, you probably won't use it as much as you think you will. Commuting in Tampa can be a nightmare.

But that said, there's lots of courses within an hour+ commute to play.

The best golf around to me, is obviously the radius around Fox Hollow, Lansbrook, Cypress Run, and East Lake Woodlands...IMO. Jovita is hit or miss, I play a lot at Northdale, mainly because the greens are the best by a mile.....Don't know much about Wentworth or Crescent Oaks.......I'm playing the Bayou in a few weeks......I had the big house in the woods 10 minutes from World Woods, or 8 by dirt bike.....lol

I am a member at Tampa Palms-- late 30s, I am a golfer, wife is a tennis player. Course is challenging and requires just about every club in your bag. Course, in my opinion, is much better than Hunters Green but you have the option to drive the couple miles up the road to play a round there (easier set up with kids at Hunters). Tampa Palms pro "gets it" and of the 3 clubs I have been a member of (move a lot for work)-- he runs the best golf program.

Very varied club membership with an active men's group- some older members (it is Florida) but also a good number of guys in 30s/40s. Also a member of Clubcorp and great family benefits (including free babysitting). Area is great with top-rated schools (we have 2 kids in elementary school). Happy to give you more info or host you for a round if you come down here to check it out. PM me if interested. Couldn't give a higher recommendation of Tampa Palms.

I've lived 2 miles from carrollwood for 20 years. The schools aren't bad at all and it is a great place to live. Carrollwood has two of the best players in the state that are members here along with some local senior sticks. Carrollwood is good for the family thing and there are 27 holes. Membership is actually pretty cheap starting the year but the best overall deal is tpc 1800 a year and pay a flat rate 30* no matter when you play. Tampa Palms is a tough track but that area is way overpriced and overcrowded. I actually live in westchase area now and still commute to carrollwood/tpc/cheval/northdale (which actually has some of the best greens right now.) Eastlake is a good choice you also have Cresent Oaks, Foxhollow,lansbrook which are solid courses. Goodluck, Tampa is amazing for golf and lots of competition.

I am a member at Tampa Palms-- late 30s, I am a golfer, wife is a tennis player. Course is challenging and requires just about every club in your bag. Course, in my opinion, is much better than Hunters Green but you have the option to drive the couple miles up the road to play a round there (easier set up with kids at Hunters). Tampa Palms pro "gets it" and of the 3 clubs I have been a member of (move a lot for work)-- he runs the best golf program.

Very varied club membership with an active men's group- some older members (it is Florida) but also a good number of guys in 30s/40s. Also a member of Clubcorp and great family benefits (including free babysitting). Area is great with top-rated schools (we have 2 kids in elementary school). Happy to give you more info or host you for a round if you come down here to check it out. PM me if interested. Couldn't give a higher recommendation of Tampa Palms.

I need to PM you when I get a chance to go over and play. Have to use my Crossbay membership at some point.

I need to PM you when I get a chance to go over and play. Have to use my Crossbay membership at some point.

Great place for golf. I just don't play enough to be a club member anymore.......

How active is the men's league at Tampa Palms? Also how is the practice facility?

Very active men's assoc. with monthly events, regular Saturday game, Friday afternoon skins, and games everyday of the week once you get to know the membership.

Practice area is biggest drawback of the club. Good putting green but driving range is not the best. As a crossbay member you also have access to Hunters Green practice area which is 5 miles up the road and pretty nice.

How active is the men's league at Tampa Palms? Also how is the practice facility?

Very active men's assoc. with monthly events, regular Saturday game, Friday afternoon skins, and games everyday of the week once you get to know the membership.

Practice area is biggest drawback of the club. Good putting green but driving range is not the best. As a crossbay member you also have access to Hunters Green practice area which is 5 miles up the road and pretty nice.

Thanks, I want to find a club with an active membership.

G400 lst digital loft at 9 playing at 8
G400 3w. Xtorsion Black 80tx
G400 5w. Ad-di 8x
20 and 24 ft worth hi
5-pw Miura BB with x100 ti
60 mack daddy forged
Nike 006 proto

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Moving to St Pete near Tropicana Field. Looking to join a club there. Best course to join?

pasadena country club is your best option. Great course, great clubhouse and just a great family atmosphere.

the vinoy has an initiation fee of 15-20k. the course isn't as good as pasadena.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Moving to St Pete near Tropicana Field. Looking to join a club there. Best course to join?

pasadena country club is your best option. Great course, great clubhouse and just a great family atmosphere.

the vinoy has an initiation fee of 15-20k. the course isn't as good as pasadena.

Thanks. Hard to tell from the web pages of these places. I played in the New Years Invite about 10 years ago in college at St Pete. Fun course...looking for something nicer. Any ideas on rates at Pasadena?

depends on how old you are. Pasadena is worth the wait over Vinoy. I know the area you're moving to. I grew up in the area and if you're a busy person as I am you want a place with a good clubhouse, locker room showers, good course and good food.

IMHO vinoy priced itself WAY out.

Pasadena initiation fee as follow since I inquired about it last year and still have the email

40 and over; 2k initial; 490 for family, 467 for couples; 441 individual

31-39 ; 1k initial; 303 for family; 288 for couples; 270 for single

21-30; 1k initial; 254 for family; 240 for couples; 224 for single

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

FYI, i've played both courses multiple times since I'm buddies with members on both sides

vinoy may be more convenient as far as staying in downtown st pete but the initiation fee isn't worth it unless you plan to permanently root yourself here

tropicana field to vinoy is about 4 miles

tropicana field to pasadena is about 6-7 miles

if you're willing to drive further then feathersound is better value and a better course than both. 10-12 miles but traffic time will be hectic.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

FYI, i've played both courses multiple times since I'm buddies with members on both sides

vinoy may be more convenient as far as staying in downtown st pete but the initiation fee isn't worth it unless you plan to permanently root yourself here

tropicana field to vinoy is about 4 miles

tropicana field to pasadena is about 6-7 miles

if you're willing to drive further then feathersound is better value and a better course than both. 10-12 miles but traffic time will be hectic.

Wow thanks for the info. My wife got a job with the WTA and will be gone most of the summer. Might do the summer membership St Pete CC is offering then phase over to Pasadena this fall. I'm 31. Those prices are incredible!!

yeah, i'm in the process of moving back to tampa permanently and will be joining feathersound but pasadena is up there with ammenities vs. cost factor

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x