Fishing

Warrick

Well, fishing is done, just finished a big walleye dinner.

We had some weather issues again, one day 84 and 0 wind, was a rough one, then had thunderstorms 2 times after midnight.

My cousin and I did pretty good for the time we had out, think we caught about 20 or so between us, few Pike, 2 rock bass, rest walleye, but multiple in the slot that had to go back.

The main thing is, we had a blast at a great cabin, some killer meals, and got trashed a few nights with 3 great guys. I only took one pic, this was a 23.5" walleye I caught. Most of my others were between 17-20, so was not stopping for pics, in the live well and rebait.

This one went back.

IMG_0519_zps631p7txe.jpg

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, fishing is done, just finished a big walleye dinner.

We had some weather issues again, one day 84 and 0 wind, was a rough one, then had thunderstorms 2 times after midnight.

My cousin and I did pretty good for the time we had out, think we caught about 20 or so between us, few Pike, 2 rock bass, rest walleye, but multiple in the slot that had to go back.

The main thing is, we had a blast at a great cabin, some killer meals, and got trashed a few nights with 3 great guys. I only took one pic, this was a 23.5" walleye I caught. Most of my others were between 17-20, so was not stopping for pics, in the live well and rebait.

This one went back.

IMG_0519_zps631p7txe.jpg

Sounds like a fun trip. Good job War. I've had walleye only once and it was delicious.

How in the hell did I miss a fishing thread?

Looks like you had a great trip, bud :superman:

You gotta get out more LP.

Did you see some of the great pics here? I hope to be posting up some stripes after next weekend. What do you fish for?

Yes. Yes I do, LOL.

I hope to be chasing some of the striped ones shortly. Just have to catch up on a few beach recon missions that have been sorely lacking in my schedule this year.

How in the hell did I miss a fishing thread?

Looks like you had a great trip, bud :superman:

You gotta get out more LP.

Did you see some of the great pics here? I hope to be posting up some stripes after next weekend. What do you fish for?

Yes. Yes I do, LOL.

I hope to be chasing some of the striped ones shortly. Just have to catch up on a few beach recon missions that have been sorely lacking in my schedule this year.

You're a surf dog? I used to do a lot of surf fishing. I love getting out to the bars and troughs during low tide. You can see them with polarized glasses. Haven't been in the surf though since I started yak fishing 7 yrs ago. I get my share of fatties in the inlets/bays.

I'm thinking of getting a yak, as I just don't have the schedule to allow the late night/early AM weekday routines required for some of my preferred locations. It'd be nice to be able to catch and not be a vampire for a change lol.

Just a thought - are you in the south where cape cod bay creates calmer conditions, or up north where the Atlantic takes effect? Being in open water where the ocean has significant effect can be sketchy. Plus it cuts down on your fishing effectiveness because you can spend a lot of energy just getting into position. I mainly keep my venues to back bays, rivers, and inlets.

There is a huge community of yakkers up in the Boston area. As a matter of fact they have a huge tourney called the Mass. Bay Striper shootout up in Salem. I'm not sure of the dates this year. I've never gone due to the obnoxious tolls I'd have to pay but it's on my bucket list! Also Google North East Kayak Fishing, they have a ton of folk up your way. And from what I've seen online a great fishery. If you do get a yak, see if you can find a demo day. Just like anything all kayaks are not created equal. LOL

I'm thinking of getting a yak, as I just don't have the schedule to allow the late night/early AM weekday routines required for some of my preferred locations. It'd be nice to be able to catch and not be a vampire for a change lol.

Just a thought - are you in the south where cape cod bay creates calmer conditions, or up north where the Atlantic takes effect? Being in open water where the ocean has significant effect can be sketchy. Plus it cuts down on your fishing effectiveness because you can spend a lot of energy just getting into position. I mainly keep my venues to back bays, rivers, and inlets.

There is a huge community of yakkers up in the Boston area. As a matter of fact they have a huge tourney called the Mass. Bay Striper shootout up in Salem. I'm not sure of the dates this year. I've never gone due to the obnoxious tolls I'd have to pay but it's on my bucket list! Also Google North East Kayak Fishing, they have a ton of folk up your way. And from what I've seen online a great fishery. If you do get a yak, see if you can find a demo day. Just like anything all kayaks are not created equal. LOL

I'm located just outside of Boston, so pretty much any area can be in play. I also do some freshwater, so I'd have a bit of a decision to make as a 14' kayak for open water crossings is quite different than an 11-12' one best suited for maneuvering in tight spots. Lots of models to test and play with. :D

Well we got back to Des Moines at 5:30 today after getting up at 4:30 and leaving the island at 4:50. In our 4 days of fishing we caught 110 walleye/sauger (we take a clicker to keep track) and 13 walleye being 20" or longer. The longest was 25".

Before those 4 days of fishing on the canada side of LOTW we fished on the Minnesota side or in the Big Traverse Bay and that was not for us. The fishing is just not how we like to fish. But it was fun experience and I can check that off if my bucket list!

I have some pics but I don't really want to figure out how to post them...Yes that is laziness at its finest!

I just got out last Saturday searching for Bull Reds and Sheepshead. Caught nothing but puny Croaker and even smaller Black Sea Bass. And man it was a scorcher!!! But it was good to get out.

Thug is that an Avet SX on the bottom rod? A little beast of a reel. I've got one and love it, but my heart has been feel the tug of a Truth Reels SG. A little pricer than the Avets, but the drag is UNREAL!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I just got out last Saturday searching for Bull Reds and Sheepshead. Caught nothing but puny Croaker and even smaller Black Sea Bass. And man it was a scorcher!!! But it was good to get out.

Thug is that an Avet SX on the bottom rod? A little beast of a reel. I've got one and love it, but my heart has been feel the tug of a Truth Reels SG. A little pricer than the Avets, but the drag is UNREAL!!!

That is an Avet MC, I think I could bring in a tuna with that thing if it were bolted onto a good stiff rod. It handles big stripers well though.

I finally got out today. Very late in the season for me, I received my yak rack a few weeks back but some parts were missing so I had to call the company and wait some more while they shipped them. Assembled it, and the thing is rock solid. US Racks. Went for some flounder with the stepson. He immediately got an 18" keeper. I got a couple 16", and he lost a 20" because he insisted on using his 6lb test freshwater bass outfit. Silly kid. Didn't get any pics out on the water because the drift was pretty fast, but took this one after rinsing everything down:

??? WhyTF is it upside down?

Any way, it was great to get back out on the water. Been playing too much damn golf lately...

Nice!! I hope to get out on some flatties soon myself! I'm jealous of the pickup too... if you saw the vehicle I take my yak out on, you'd bust a gut laughing so hard!!! Ahahaha

Thanks mouse. It's actually Chevy's work truck line, their lowest trim package, no frills, no leather steering wheel, no fingertip computer or stereo controls, 4wd is a manual floor shift, regular head lamps (no led), no pretty chrome trim, but it has all the things a guy needs out of a truck - locking differential, spray-in bed liner, 6 spd trans, the 3.5L V8 and a black-out package including 20" black alloy wheels. It was only $1K more than the used LT trim trucks with 20K miles I was originally looking at. Still, have to restrict my budget to pay for it...

Man I don't need nothing pretty! I'll take functional cheap over pretty and banging my head!! LOL I've been looking hard at the Tacomas, but my pockets aren't ready just yet. So til then I'm stuck with ol' faithful. An 07 Yaris! LOL don't laugh! After my 1st car and 2nd car died on me I was on a mission to go foreign and BRAND new!! What you see below is the extent my budget could go at the time! It's puny, relatively slow, but it's a stick so I can get a lil bit out of her, and even more importantly PAID OFF. :) Gas mileage is still a beast(~39 MPG HWY) and I got over 180k miles on her. No issues. So when she's gives up the ghost I'll probably take a leap to the pickup world. But I can carry my yak and gear, plus my clubs fit. It does everything I need it to! Well except transport the family comfortably, but that's why the Misses has a van! LOL

IMAG0013.jpg

Man I don't need nothing pretty! I'll take functional cheap over pretty and banging my head!! LOL I've been looking hard at the Tacomas, but my pockets aren't ready just yet. So til then I'm stuck with ol' faithful. An 07 Yaris! LOL don't laugh! After my 1st car and 2nd car died on me I was on a mission to go foreign and BRAND new!! What you see below is the extent my budget could go at the time! It's puny, relatively slow, but it's a stick so I can get a lil bit out of her, and even more importantly PAID OFF. :) Gas mileage is still a beast(~39 MPG HWY) and I got over 180k miles on her. No issues. So when she's gives up the ghost I'll probably take a leap to the pickup world. But I can carry my yak and gear, plus my clubs fit. It does everything I need it to! Well except transport the family comfortably, but that's why the Misses has a van! LOL

IMAG0013.jpg

Mouse, that's a nice rig. Whatever gets the job done. I used to haul my 15' canoe on the roof of my VW Golf all over the place.

Do you know the ins and outs of the Susky flats? A couple others here said they fish the flats. I have always wanted to do a 3 day trip there. Maybe we should try to plan an outing next spring. Unless, do they turn back on in the fall (the back bays here at the J shore are great during the fall) or is it more lower Chesapeake bay in the fall?

Small but full of heart! LOL

I honestly have never fished the flats. I know a lot of guys that do, but it's always so hit or miss I just avoided it. It's a jumping fishery in the Spring for Stripers when the conditions are right. I always talk to old timers that reminisce on days full of 30"+ Stripers, but they seem to think those days are long gone. If it rains or they open a lot of gates from the dam the water turns into a mess! It's so brown, it looks like chocolate milk! LOL The guys I know that do well, from the yak, like to troll and they have had great success, but also have the ability to put A LOT of time in. Even some of the charter captains that used to make a living off guiding on the flats now seem to avoid it because of it's volatility. The flats were a good hour drive from home and it was hard for me to take the chance going up there just to find water unsuitable, the buoy up there was always unreliable so I sticked closer to home or to areas I knew I had a fail safe in case conditions weren't the greatest. I also need to update my profile. I've moved from Columbia down to Richmond, VA over a year ago! OOPS LOL

I haven't seen a lot of reports of stellar fishing in the Fall up that way, although I'd imagine since the water warms up much quicker due to the shallows there are still stragglers. The Fall spot is the open bay, particularly the mouth of the bay down in Virginia. That's where the Cows stack up. But you can find them making their way down in spots in MD. Kent Narrows is a cut off the bay that I have spent a lot of time fishing in the Fall. It's a spot at night where Stripers just lurk and you can get on em! The middle bay, which is where I spent a lot of my time while in MD is great. That's where the Bay Bridge is located and numerous humps and ledges. Only issue is water access. They make it so hard for shore and yak guys it's ridiculous. So a lot of spots we can hit are usually prime spots and it's hard to get to less pressured areas. But it's the nature of the beast I suppose.

You guys get a lot more saltier water up your way off the shore being close to the ocean. I would love to fish some of those areas! Focusing now down in the Tidewater area, it's probably closer to the back bays you guys have up your way. The middle and upper Chesapeake is more brackish. You can go from yanking up Stripers to hooking up with a large mouth, then a Cat on the line all in the same spot! LOL I have fished up in Cape May a couple of times. Once on a charter and another time I took the yak up for a Jamboree they have in the Fall. I love that place! Just sucks with all those tolls! LOL If I get up to the Jersey shore for some fishing I'm going to hit you up. Me and my boys always love to hit a new area!

Small but full of heart! LOL

I honestly have never fished the flats. I know a lot of guys that do, but it's always so hit or miss I just avoided it. It's a jumping fishery in the Spring for Stripers when the conditions are right. I always talk to old timers that reminisce on days full of 30"+ Stripers, but they seem to think those days are long gone. If it rains or they open a lot of gates from the dam the water turns into a mess! It's so brown, it looks like chocolate milk! LOL The guys I know that do well, from the yak, like to troll and they have had great success, but also have the ability to put A LOT of time in. Even some of the charter captains that used to make a living off guiding on the flats now seem to avoid it because of it's volatility. The flats were a good hour drive from home and it was hard for me to take the chance going up there just to find water unsuitable, the buoy up there was always unreliable so I sticked closer to home or to areas I knew I had a fail safe in case conditions weren't the greatest. I also need to update my profile. I've moved from Columbia down to Richmond, VA over a year ago! OOPS LOL

I haven't seen a lot of reports of stellar fishing in the Fall up that way, although I'd imagine since the water warms up much quicker due to the shallows there are still stragglers. The Fall spot is the open bay, particularly the mouth of the bay down in Virginia. That's where the Cows stack up. But you can find them making their way down in spots in MD. Kent Narrows is a cut off the bay that I have spent a lot of time fishing in the Fall. It's a spot at night where Stripers just lurk and you can get on em! The middle bay, which is where I spent a lot of my time while in MD is great. That's where the Bay Bridge is located and numerous humps and ledges. Only issue is water access. They make it so hard for shore and yak guys it's ridiculous. So a lot of spots we can hit are usually prime spots and it's hard to get to less pressured areas. But it's the nature of the beast I suppose.

You guys get a lot more saltier water up your way off the shore being close to the ocean. I would love to fish some of those areas! Focusing now down in the Tidewater area, it's probably closer to the back bays you guys have up your way. The middle and upper Chesapeake is more brackish. You can go from yanking up Stripers to hooking up with a large mouth, then a Cat on the line all in the same spot! LOL I have fished up in Cape May a couple of times. Once on a charter and another time I took the yak up for a Jamboree they have in the Fall. I love that place! Just sucks with all those tolls! LOL If I get up to the Jersey shore for some fishing I'm going to hit you up. Me and my boys always love to hit a new area!

That was a great assessment mouse. Educational for sure. I didn't know that the 'Peake had that much fresh water in it.

I got out again today. A lot of paddling for only two baby stripers, 16", and 1 flounder, but the weather and the water was fine, and we did a little clamming on the way in during low tide and brought home something to eat. I can't decide which I love more, golf or yak fishing.

Def if you come up to the Jersey shore shoot me a PM.

My big bass of the year, caught on a Texas rigged senko.

Driver-TM Sim 9 GD- Tour ADDI 6x

Fairway- Nike VR Pro 15- Fubuki Alpha 70x

Irons- Mizuno MP20 6-PW MMC-4,5- PJX LZ 6.5

Wedges- RTX4  50,56,60- DG s400 

Putter- Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 w/Hula Girl 2006 cover

That was a great assessment mouse. Educational for sure. I didn't know that the 'Peake had that much fresh water in it.

I got out again today. A lot of paddling for only two baby stripers, 16", and 1 flounder, but the weather and the water was fine, and we did a little clamming on the way in during low tide and brought home something to eat. I can't decide which I love more, golf or yak fishing.

Def if you come up to the Jersey shore shoot me a PM.

It's moreso the upper for the LMB. But I've seen a many of Cats being caught at the Bay Bridge when rainfall was high! Man I feel much more at home yak fishing... I still stink it up on the course! LOL I'm still on my little starter set of clubs, hence the lack of my WITB for my signature. Maybe I should just start listing my fishing gear! LOL

Nice LMB there Vince!

Thanks man!

Yeah I'm a sucker for good equipment, my reels are lews bb1 pro with duckett ghost rods, I am a bank fisherman so I have a crank setup and a worm/jig setup. I have been wanting to buy a yak for a while now. I just don't go fishing enough to justify spending that much. Lol

Driver-TM Sim 9 GD- Tour ADDI 6x

Fairway- Nike VR Pro 15- Fubuki Alpha 70x

Irons- Mizuno MP20 6-PW MMC-4,5- PJX LZ 6.5

Wedges- RTX4  50,56,60- DG s400 

Putter- Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 w/Hula Girl 2006 cover

I am and avid fisherman. I do have it good as I live within a sand wedge of the mighty Lake St. Clair where the smallmouth fishing is unbelievable. Pictures of some of my catches on their way :)

The weights might be off by a couple ounces here and there but these are to the best of my memory. Our best day ever on St. Clair we caught (and released) 24 lbs 13 ozs for our best 5 bass. It is common to go out and catch 20-30 smallmouth that are 3-4 pounds in a few hours. I haven't had one over 6 yet and the 5 pounders are tough to get on but it is so much fun some days that I don't want to come in.

2 summers ago I had a giant smallmouth hit on a jerkbait. I casted it as far as I could and I usually retrieve my jerkbait with a rhythm of 1 jerk (pause)... 2 jerks (pause)... long sweep (pause) and then back to 1... 1-2. As I went to do the first long sweep all I felt was weight. I layed into a hook set and my drag made that sweet sound of a solid hookup. He hit so far away from the boat that I didn't really know what he was but I knew it was a very big fish. After about 30 seconds of reeling and gaining no ground I thought maybe I had gotten into a big musky. Then all of a sudden he came shooting out of the water full breach about 30 yards away and he was PISSED!! From that distance I could tell he was a monster but at the same time a lot of the 5 pounders I have caught looked about the same from that distance. Finally after a few minutes of seemingly reeling nothing but drag I had him within a few feet of the boat. My friend that was out there with me was kind of a rookie at the time and did not think to get the net. I got him up to the surface for my first good look at him and I had a rush of nervousness and adrenaline. He was without a doubt at least 7 pounds and I would bet he was close to 8. He turned sideways and had to be over 25" long and a football. When he made his first run away from the boat I saw his back and it was THICK. By far the biggest smallmouth I had ever seen with my own eyes. I loosened my drag 2 clicks so he didn't break me off and I got him back up to the surface again within about 4 feet of the boat and again my friend wasn't positioned to reach him with the net. He was barely far enough that I couldn't reach with my arm but had enough fight left in him that I couldn't get him any closer. Then he turned his head again and started to run straight down. As he turned, his tail whipped around and hit my line... The hook pulled out of his mouth!!! I was and still am devastated over losing that fish. He must have been the King smallie of Lake St. Clair and he slipped away :(

I don't want to put any blame on my friend at all but I think that if my dad was out there with me, he would have netted it the first time I had him by the boat.

My equipment consists of:

Setup 1 (Texas rig mostly but this is my go to rod/reel) 7 foot medium action Daiwa Tatula casting rod with Abu Garcia Revo STX 6:4:1

Setup 2 (drop shot) 7 foot medium light action Daiwa Tatula casting rod with Abu Garcia Revo STX 6:4:1

Setup 3 (cranking) 7'6" medium heavy BPS crankin stick with Abu Garcia Revo Winch 5:4:1

Setup 4 (jerkbait) 6'6" medium heavy Abu Garcia Veritas with Abu Garcia Revo STX 7:1:1 high speed

I always use fluorocarbon and my line of choice currently is Sunline Sniper usually 12 pound test but for deep jerkbait use I will go to 8 pound test. My favorite technique to use is Texas Rig followed closely by drop shot

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

4 lbs 12 ozs

5 lbs 4 ozs

4 lbs 4 ozs Largemouth from a tournament in northern Michigan

My dad with an absolute brute

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx