Fishing

Warrick

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waiting for weather to clear. Been way cold and snowing in Indiana

Went out a couple of weeks ago on a very windy Tuesday evening just to wet a line and caught one small LM bass.

Mowed twice now but can't even fish... or golf... sux.

Titleist TSi3 D Smoke Black 60 5.5
Titleist TSi2 3w/7w Tensei Blue 65
Callaway Apex DCB/DG AMT Red
Titleist Vokey SM7 (Raw)
TM Spider Tour Black
Titleist ProV1
Titleist Hybrid 14
Bag Boy Nitron

North Fork of the South Holston:

3 hours, I caught 21, pops caught 17.

First cast we each catch the same trout. This is the 2nd time it has happened to us.

I should add** these trout are stream born / stream bred Browns. No stocking.

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

First cast we each catch the same trout. This is the 2nd time it has happened to us.

That is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

Native browns (although they are not native to N America) are gorgeous. Did you keep any? Pan fried in butter and garlic they are delicious.

Beautiful fish! Looks like a great outing! Today is opening day for trout in NJ despite the forecasted snow. For the next week or so, it's like trying to get a sub-5 hour round of golf on Father's Day. I'll be on the lakes and ponds until the frenzy ends.

TBD

Callaway XHot 4 Wood

Cleveland Mashie Hybrid 23

Cleveland Mashie Hybrid 26

Mizuno Comp EZ 5-PW

Vokey Satin 50
Vokey Satin 58

Kingston KP1 custom stamped
ProV1x/KSig

I'm a flyfisherman - brown & rainbow trout and I tie my own flies. Where I live the water is too warm for trout so I travel down south and up in altitude to the colder streams around the New England area, or Lake Jindabyne, King Valley in Victoria, Corryong streams (the home of the man from Snowy River). I've also extensively fished New Zealand, The rivers around Lake Taupo in the north island, Taihape, the Tongariro river in particular - been fishing there since the early 1980's. and a lot of mountain rivers & streams of the south island, especially around Canterbury where I lived for a while. Also good fishing down in north Otago, Lake Tekapo etc. I haven't fished Tasmania here in Australia yet but I intend to as I think it will be the best place for wild fish in this country (as well as the seafood and wine). Flyfishing and golfing have some similarities - both tools of the trade have handles, back swings and numbers, distance and position are important - a take on the first cast is equivalent to a hole_in_one. I have 3 flyrods, a #10, 6 and 4 weight. Some of my favourite dry flies - Adams, Red tag,

Greenwells Glory, Dads Favourite, Governor. Nymphs - Halfback, Olive, Hares Ear Spider (deadly in the evenings) and the waterboatman for spring creeks. I had the pleasure of fishing with Norman Marsh in the Nelson district when I was there last and I wish I could tie flies like he can. another southern fly man and superb fly tyer I've had the privilege of fishing with is landscape architect John Morton (Christchurch NZ) and Malcolm Bell also of Christchurch (The Complete Angler).

The worst scenario I strike is going to a place where there is not only a superb trout stream but also a great golf course - oh the conflict - however the golf course will be there tomorrow but the trout may not be. Tight lines.

pics: Staceys Bridge Corryong

Caddis nymphs

Tongariro rainbow trout - keeper

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Now this is a thread I can get with!! LOL I'm a wayyy better fisherman than I am a golfer. *sigh* But maybe one day. LOL!!

I'm a kayak fisherman as well. I fish mostly the Chesapeake bay from the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel up to the Bay bridge. I am from MD so that's where most of my Bay experience comes from. As of last year I relocated to Richmond, VA so I'm a lot closer to the tidewater area now. Me and some buddies of mine are actually headed up to Brooklyn, NY for a huge kayak fishing tourney targeting Stripers, Blues, and weakfish just a stones throw from JFK airport in Jamaica bay! It's amazing how rich of a fishery there is right within a huge city.

I haven't had the chance to get out this year yet. A tog trip I booked in Cape May was blown out and the winds haven't cooperated with me getting out yet. But as soon as I see some low winds you bet I'll be out there! ;) Since I can't boast on any recent trips. Here's a pic of my boat(well as close as a boat my pockets will ever get me anyway) and a Striper I caught out of Sandy Point State Point from shore a couple of years ago from shore.

919945_10100570211772983_1195756552_o_zpswtyyld5z.jpg

893108_10100321087475073_338067147_o_zpsk3du0gfw.jpg

nice brownies

Current Bag:

TM R7 425 driver 11.5

Cleveland Launcher #4 wood

Cobra King Hyper Steel #7 wood

BB Heavenwood # 9 wood

Titlelst DCI Black O/S irons 7 8 9 W SW, Lovett chipper

McGregor putter

Titleist Tour Soft balls

Now this is a thread I can get with!! LOL I'm a wayyy better fisherman than I am a golfer. *sigh* But maybe one day. LOL!!

I'm a kayak fisherman as well. I fish mostly the Chesapeake bay from the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel up to the Bay bridge. I am from MD so that's where most of my Bay experience comes from. As of last year I relocated to Richmond, VA so I'm a lot closer to the tidewater area now. Me and some buddies of mine are actually headed up to Brooklyn, NY for a huge kayak fishing tourney targeting Stripers, Blues, and weakfish just a stones throw from JFK airport in Jamaica bay! It's amazing how rich of a fishery there is right within a huge city.

I haven't had the chance to get out this year yet. A tog trip I booked in Cape May was blown out and the winds haven't cooperated with me getting out yet. But as soon as I see some low winds you bet I'll be out there! ;) Since I can't boast on any recent trips. Here's a pic of my boat(well as close as a boat my pockets will ever get me anyway) and a Striper I caught out of Sandy Point State Point from shore a couple of years ago from shore.

919945_10100570211772983_1195756552_o_zpswtyyld5z.jpg

893108_10100321087475073_338067147_o_zpsk3du0gfw.jpg

Nice fish! I grew up in MD and did a lot of fishing in the Chesapeake with my dad. Great pics!

TBD

Callaway XHot 4 Wood

Cleveland Mashie Hybrid 23

Cleveland Mashie Hybrid 26

Mizuno Comp EZ 5-PW

Vokey Satin 50
Vokey Satin 58

Kingston KP1 custom stamped
ProV1x/KSig

Thanks fellas! I can't wait to get back out there. As far as pictures, I really need to do a better job taking them. I get so caught up in fishing that I forget to take a few snaps to reflect on. And lately, it seems that's all I have. With 5 year old twins it gets tougher and tougher to get out. God only knows how I'm going to regularly squeeze golf in. Luckily a LONGGGG lunch doesn't affect the wife as bad as a Sunday morning/afternoon! LOL

Have yet to really get out into the surf lately. But my poles are ready to go. Just need to get out. Haha right now golf is taking up most of my free days but I should have a complete day off here soon that will allow me to get out to the beach and fish for 6 hours or so :)

Forever Changing at this point.......

• 4 weeks later...

Gotta keep this alive, will be on the lake walleye fishing 2 weeks from today. We could not make opening weekend work, so up a week later. The weather looks to be better already. It was 80's and dead calm last time we went, not good for Eyes...

As of now, looks to be 60's and 70's, much better. The best part is, this group of 4 is our normal golf group, we return for 4 days of golf.

As for the Striper fishing, my step dad runs a guide service up in in PA (Cassville/Altoona) area. He took me out the first time, and I got an 18 and a 24. Those are some strong fish and like to keep that head down like a walleye, can't wait to get back and go for a 30-40 lb monster.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Yup, stripers are the hardest pulling fish IMO. Sometimes, when my hole is on fire (yea I know that didn't sound right) my left arm gets worn out and I know I still have a 4 mi paddle to get home so I have to stop fishing.

I have always loved the fight with a nice Northern Pike, love when they make a run. I always wondered what it would be like to fight a heavy strong fish like a striper, combined with the speed and anger of a Pike.

I suppose that might be what it is like to catch a great white shark...lol.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Love fishing the surf and flats in Florida. Try to make a trip twice a year.

Where at in Florida? I've always watched fishing shows with trips like this and it looks awesome.

Destinations vary year to year - last Christmas was Pine Island for some backcountry snook, snapper and reds. Also caught a ton of sea trout, very tasty. The keys are awesome for a wide variety of flats to deep sea. We have also gone to the panhandle area, always great surf fushing for whiting, black drum and reds for some reason. For a once in a great while trip - hit either the keys or ft Myers/sanibel/pine island sound.

Yup, stripers are the hardest pulling fish IMO. Sometimes, when my hole is on fire (yea I know that didn't sound right) my left arm gets worn out and I know I still have a 4 mi paddle to get home so I have to stop fishing.

I have always loved the fight with a nice Northern Pike, love when they make a run. I always wondered what it would be like to fight a heavy strong fish like a striper, combined with the speed and anger of a Pike.

I suppose that might be what it is like to catch a great white shark...lol.

Actually, a good cruiser 28" bluefish is like that, feels like they are going to break your line or your rod at first, but after a few minutes you pretty much reel them in. I have fought the same sized striper for 10 min sometimes.

My dad has a 31 lb Pike on his wall he caught at the Mckenzie river in Canada, almost spooled him 3 times, had to chase it. He was not using a real heavy rig at the time. He said it took over 40 minutes to get in the boat.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Aaaaaah, just found this thread.

Another passion. Fluff chucking, as we call it here, in the 'chalk streams' of the UK.

One of my 'Wands'. A probable work of Art.

Say hello to my 'Little Friend'.....

Sage SLT - CA, #1.......

Wow, fine scotch and fly fishing. Bend, you know how to live..