Tour AD GP

dchoi87

It was finally warm enough to hit balls today. I hit it against a whiteboard 80 tx. Both are untipped.

For me the GP 8x launched higher and spin seemed the same. I hit them both in an 815 DBD 9 degree and the whiteboard 80 tx I had set to +1 loft and the GP 8x set at standard loft was just a tad higher.

The GP felt way smoother than the whiteboard, not nearly as stiff, and I was able to work the ball more with the GP. The whiteboard for me goes dead straight no matter what.

I need more time with the GP though.

TSi3  10* Tour AD VR 7x

TSr2+ 14.5* Tour AD DI 9x

TSi3 20* Hybrid Tour AD DI 115tx

u500 4, t100 5-PW, GW Dynamic Gold x100

SM8 54s, 60d Dynamic Gold s400

Scotty Classic Newport 

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was finally warm enough to hit balls today. I hit it against a whiteboard 80 tx. Both are untipped.

For me the GP 8x launched higher and spin seemed the same. I hit them both in an 815 DBD 9 degree and the whiteboard 80 tx I had set to +1 loft and the GP 8x set at standard loft was just a tad higher.

The GP felt way smoother than the whiteboard, not nearly as stiff, and I was able to work the ball more with the GP. The whiteboard for me goes dead straight no matter what.

I need more time with the GP though.

Wow, that bag in your siggy!! C10's!! Yes. You playing the X? Those are some stout shafts man. I have S in my wedges, love them. X was a little much in the short irons. I never could get the 9003 to cooperate in a driver. P9003, man, it's gonna take something special to get those out of my FWY woods.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Yes I have the c10 in x flex. I've only had them since the fall and I might go back to x100. I am a range junkie and they are almost too heavy. I get wore out after 150 balls.

TSi3  10* Tour AD VR 7x

Scotty Classic Newport 

My Pro is ordering some new shafts for his TM Demo kit and he asked me what I would like him to order. Like any good Wrx'er I had to say the GP!! We'll see how it turns out when all the new shafts arrive as he is also putting in an Aldila 2KXV Green in his Demo kit too, so it will be fascinating to see how they both compare and perform.

he is also putting in an Aldila 2KXV Green in his Demo kit too

I hit absolute lasers with this shaft. It feels a bit too light for my liking, but I got good enough numbers with it to consider gaming one.

I'm kind of meh on Aldila, but this shaft is extremely lively.

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

Yes I have the c10 in x flex. I've only had them since the fall and I might go back to x100. I am a range junkie and they are almost too heavy. I get wore out after 150 balls.

This is why I have 2 sets of 2S14 Stiff in my closet collecting dust. Too heavy. They are heavier than C10. Played them for like 2-3 years but finally came down to earth on weight. C10 S are bonkers in wedges. Smooth heavy feel with the perfect amount of heft to get through sand and grass.

he is also putting in an Aldila 2KXV Green in his Demo kit too

I hit absolute lasers with this shaft. It feels a bit too light for my liking, but I got good enough numbers with it to consider gaming one.

I'm kind of meh on Aldila, but this shaft is extremely lively.

I've always been a bit like that about Aldila too. For some reason they never have the high end cache of some of the other shaft manufacturers, but the trouble is, that they keep giving me the best numbers, and practical results, so I keep buying them, but I do want to see how the GP compares to it. Should be here by Friday, so hopefully I can give a detailed write up over the weekend. :nyam:

So who has the scoop on the GP TX flex? Just stiffer? Specs? Saw this picture of them https://www.instagram.com/p/BERdo2aymKA/?taken-by=pure745

TSi3  10* Tour AD VR 7x

Scotty Classic Newport 

So who has the scoop on the GP TX flex? Just stiffer? Specs?

Lol. Most of my driver swings are 120-123mph, and I absolutely cannot imagine trying to play this thing in a TX flex.

TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Toulon Atlanta 35"

Swing speed is ~105. Stiff or X?

Given how expensive these shafts are, I'd do a fitting before pulling the trigger. It wouldn't surprise me if you loved the R flex (and please do not take that as a personal affront—this shaft is extremely rigid and barely bends in the mid profile).

TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Toulon Atlanta 35"

Given how expensive these shafts are, I'd do a fitting before pulling the trigger. It wouldn't surprise me if you loved the R flex (and please do not take that as a personal affront—this shaft is extremely rigid and barely bends in the mid profile).

Wow, really? Looks like I won't be able to get the off the floor then. I mean, I know I play almost all of my Golf on Links Courses, but that's ridiculous. Oh well 2KXV Green it is then! Lol.

Wow, really? Looks like I won't be able to get the off the floor then. I mean, I know I play almost all of my Golf on Links Courses, but that's ridiculous. Oh well 2KXV Green it is then! Lol.

I'm around 105 and have a 6s being tipped up right now. I talked to a couple fitters and both said it was a really nice shaft and less boardy than they expected from early reviews.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

I'm around 105 and have a 6s being tipped up right now. I talked to a couple fitters and both said it was a really nice shaft and less boardy than they expected from early reviews.

A little hope restored then! Haha. seriously though, as I mentioned in a previous post my Pro is getting a few extra shafts for his Demo/Fitting carts so he's getting a AD GP amongst some other nice offerings so I'm going over to try a load of them out at the weekend. But open minded I must try and keep. But it's always useful and enjoyable to read a few opinions.

Well, that was a funny ol' range session! Firstly, all the shafts I tried were in the 60g-65g range with TM M2 head set at 10.5*. My SS hovers around 103mph on average depending on what side of the bed I get out of.

I tried the Tour AD GP 6S, Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff, Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 Stiff, and Fuji Speeder 661 Evolution II Stiff.

Firstly the Fuji Evo II was spin machine for me. I couldn't get anything below 3000rpm, without going down in loft 2 notches and the resulting ball flight and launch angle suffered. Gone!

Kuro Kage Silver is a nice feeling shaft, just a nice smooth kick, and although ball speeds were the best of the bunch and so was overall distance by 3-5 yards, the dispersion was unpredictable. (Maybe the 70g version would suit me better in that respect).

The Aldila NV 2KXV Green and Tour AD GP were similar shafts in terms of the results but at different ends of the swing spectrum. Neither do what they say on the tin in terms of feel.

The Aldila feels firm during transition, but the most consistent results came from me swinging easier, whereas the GD Tour Ad GP is at the other end of that feel spectrum in that it feels great, quite smooth actually, typical GD, yet I had to swing harder to get anything out of it. Launch angle were very similar between the two and so was spin rates (averaging 2800rpm) So slightly on the high side but with my SS certainly playable. But neither quite had the ball speed of the Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 ( Iah one swing that jumped up to 109.7mph). But with the Kuro Kages' dispersion and unpredictable ball flight was killing me.

As for the Tour AD GP, feeling like I have to swing harder when it feels so smooth is an odd swing thought, not one which I enjoy, but it's equally as bad as the Aldila NV 2KXV Green in having a firm feeling shaft but feeling like I have to swing it easier. They're both just.....well.....odd. So the search for the right partner for a new M2 continues. Possibly Rogue Silver 60 or Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70g. Or Hazrdus Black 65. We'll see.

Great feedback Jay65, thank you! I really wish I could try a bunch of shafts without having to buy them, it just goes to show that you will never know how a shaft will work for you until you actually try it out. The fact that I have no option but to buy blind makes selecting a new driver shaft a pain, my short list now contains 7 shafts lol

Great feedback Jay65, thank you! I really wish I could try a bunch of shafts without having to buy them, it just goes to show that you will never know how a shaft will work for you until you actually try it out. The fact that I have no option but to buy blind makes selecting a new driver shaft a pain, my short list now contains 7 shafts lol

It is incredibly frustrating when you have to buy 'blind' as it were, because of Fitters or Pros' with decent Demo kits are so far away as to make travel virtually impossible. Fortunately for me, I have a great relationship with my Pro, who I've known for years who is always happy to add whatever shaft that is on an OEM's shaft option list to his Demo kit, just so I can try it. I feel very privileged to have that luxury, but it's a mutually rewarding thing, because he always knows and trusts me that I will always buy from him, and oh boy......I've bought plenty over the years! Lol.

Seriously though, if you like a shaft with a little 'life' in it but will hold up to virtually any swing speed you want to put on it, then the GP is excellent. It just feels odd to me, that a shaft that feels so easy needs a little heat to get it working. Maybe that explains why someone like Ernie Els had a stint with it I recall. On the other side of the coin, the Aldila NV 2KXV Green feels firmer throughout the swing, yet if you put too much heat on it, you may find you lose the consistency, so swing smooth with it, and it's a good shaft. Maybe I was trying too hard to swing faster with the Aldila though, purely because of it's firmer feel, and it was that fact that was the reason my results could get wacky if I swung too hard. FWIW, I had to go up 1 click on the adaptor for the Aldila, but could happily play the GP at either the standard loft or 1 click higher. If I played the GP at standard loft the LA was around 14* and 2500rpm, and if I went to the same loft at 1 click higher as on the Aldila the LA was around 14.5* and 2800rpm, whereas the LA with the Aldila was 14* and 2800rpm.

Another thing that also may effect outcomes is the head weight. Personally I prefer the heavier head weight of the M1 over M2, but I can always buy a heavier weight for the head of the M2 and things like that can effect feel and results quite a bit for some people. Though I would also like to try the Kuro Kage Silver TiNi in a 70g and the Hazrdus Black 65g before committing either way.

I like that you describe the feeling of the GP as having a little "life" but able to handle what you throw at it. I basically keep coming back to the GP as the shaft to just buy on a whim. If for some reason it doesn't work I'll sell it. I've been using the Whiteboard forever so it'll be a nice change. Cool relationship you have with your fitter! If we had one out here I would definitely be making suggestions of shafts to bring in LOL. As a matter of fact I should probably look into becoming a fitter, this island needs one. Lots of golfers, lots of serious ones too, no fitters.

Thanks again for the feedback, and best of luck on your search for "the one"!

I like that you describe the feeling of the GP as having a little "life" but able to handle what you throw at it. I basically keep coming back to the GP as the shaft to just buy on a whim. If for some reason it doesn't work I'll sell it. I've been using the Whiteboard forever so it'll be a nice change. Cool relationship you have with your fitter! If we had one out here I would definitely be making suggestions of shafts to bring in LOL. As a matter of fact I should probably look into becoming a fitter, this island needs one. Lots of golfers, lots of serious ones too, no fitters.

Thanks again for the feedback, and best of luck on your search for "the one"!

Pleasure! Whatever you decide, I was glad to just give you some insight, and enjoy your golf.

I've been using the GP 6x since October 2015 on my Callaway 816 DBD. This is my first Tour AD shaft and my 2 previous shafts are the Diamana B and Kurokage XT Prototype.

Compared to the 2 Mitsubishi Rayon shafts, I would say the GP is the lowest launching of them. Maybe it's an unfair comparison because at the time I was using the B series on a Titleist 913 D2, and the Kurokage on the Callaway Alpha, but I feel like in terms of total distance, there really is no difference. Only difference is how it got there. Based on what I experienced, the Kurokage relatively out of the 3 had most carry and spin, the B series in between, and the GP has most roll, which actually benefits me because of the soft conditions in Indonesia where too much spin or too high of a flight can end up with the ball not rolling or even worse plugged into the fairway. Based on trackman my spin numbers in general are around 2800-2900 rpm, so as long as I'm keeping it below 3200 I'm happy.

My friends who have trouble with ballooning or high spin numbers when trying my driver we have seen drastic ball flight changes. Much lower flight and penetrating too. The GP and B series are definitely great for those who don't have problem hitting it high, but just need a bit lower and penetrating ball flight. For the opposite, we noticed the ball just wouldn't fly for those who don't have problem with higher spin numbers.

Just an additional note, I wouldn't tip the GP. I believe it also says the same on the website. This shaft's tip is already very stiff. I don't have mine tipped, and it already feels a bit stiffer than the B and Kurokage, which I had both tipped 1".

Titleist TSi3, Diamana X Series 60x

Titleist TSi3 FW, Tensei Orange 70x

Titleist 690 MB, 3- Pw, DG x100

Ping Glide 2.0, 52 & 56

Axis1 Joey Putter

Well finally hit the M1 FWY with the GP 7x yesterday. Low/Medium height and low to low/mid spin. I think it is actually lower and more penetrating than my P9003 but maybe just a touch more spin than p9003. But I'm comparing the GP in an M1 to the P9003 in a 2008 Burner head. Head wise, the M1 is extremely solid feeling and very muted.

The GP 7X has a bit more hefty feeling but is comparable in weight to the P9003 I believe. GP 7x being 76.5g and P9003 at 80. Not much difference. GP seems to be a little firmer in the lower mid section where the P9003 has a bit more action in the lower mid area. I feel like the p9003 creates a delofted face at impact and the stiffer butt and tip section knocks spin off. GP seems to be slightly softer butt which helps you get some forward shaft lean and deloft the club but then the mid and tip are equally as stiff as the P9003 if not more and really drops the spin.

I dont' have LM numbers but I am pretty sure both FWY's are about the same overall distance. M1/GP might have a bit more roll (low/mid launch and low/mid spin) where the Burner/P9003 is all carry. mid/high launch low spin. I need to hit them side by side with a LM to get spin and launch data to back up what I'm seeing and feeling.

So far the GP will stay for some more testing. I may shaft up one of my extra P9003's for my M1 head too and I have an MT 7X coming too which I feel is slightly higher launch and spin than GP, so more mid/mid launch/spin. Might be a better fit with the M1 head. We'll see.

Well, that was a funny ol' range session! Firstly, all the shafts I tried were in the 60g-65g range with TM M2 head set at 10.5*. My SS hovers around 103mph on average depending on what side of the bed I get out of.

I tried the Tour AD GP 6S, Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 Stiff, Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 Stiff, and Fuji Speeder 661 Evolution II Stiff.

Firstly the Fuji Evo II was spin machine for me. I couldn't get anything below 3000rpm, without going down in loft 2 notches and the resulting ball flight and launch angle suffered. Gone!

Kuro Kage Silver is a nice feeling shaft, just a nice smooth kick, and although ball speeds were the best of the bunch and so was overall distance by 3-5 yards, the dispersion was unpredictable. (Maybe the 70g version would suit me better in that respect).

The Aldila NV 2KXV Green and Tour AD GP were similar shafts in terms of the results but at different ends of the swing spectrum. Neither do what they say on the tin in terms of feel.

The Aldila feels firm during transition, but the most consistent results came from me swinging easier, whereas the GD Tour Ad GP is at the other end of that feel spectrum in that it feels great, quite smooth actually, typical GD, yet I had to swing harder to get anything out of it. Launch angle were very similar between the two and so was spin rates (averaging 2800rpm) So slightly on the high side but with my SS certainly playable. But neither quite had the ball speed of the Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 60 ( Iah one swing that jumped up to 109.7mph). But with the Kuro Kages' dispersion and unpredictable ball flight was killing me.

As for the Tour AD GP, feeling like I have to swing harder when it feels so smooth is an odd swing thought, not one which I enjoy, but it's equally as bad as the Aldila NV 2KXV Green in having a firm feeling shaft but feeling like I have to swing it easier. They're both just.....well.....odd. So the search for the right partner for a new M2 continues. Possibly Rogue Silver 60 or Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70g. Or Hazrdus Black 65. We'll see.

If you are liking the KK Silver, but are having dispersion Issues, then you might want to try the KK XT. It plays a little tighter than the Silver.

G430 max 10.5, Accra TZ Five 60s
Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 16, AD-IZ 75S
Callaway Rogue X 20, Oban Devotion 85S
Cobra King utility 25, Accra TZ6 95di
Ping I210 5-U, black dot

Callaway Jaws 56, W grind

Vokey 60, M grind
Scotty Newport 1.5

I picked up a gp 6x for a callaway head off eBay from thepeoplesclubs. I've hit the tour di but always thought it felt loose and was chicken to tip one enough to firm it up, so I'm hoping this gp will fit the build. Anyone compare this to Fuji speeder 6.2 x ts? I'm going to throw it in a sub zero head. The Fuji gives me great numbers but feels a little loose. I like the hzrduz but I thought that shaft just felt dead, not boardy but just kinda blah. Hoping the graphite design gives me some feel with a little lower trajectory.

I picked up a gp 6x for a callaway head off eBay from thepeoplesclubs. I've hit the tour di but always thought it felt loose and was chicken to tip one enough to firm it up, so I'm hoping this gp will fit the build. Anyone compare this to Fuji speeder 6.2 x ts? I'm going to throw it in a sub zero head. The Fuji gives me great numbers but feels a little loose. I like the hzrduz but I thought that shaft just felt dead, not boardy but just kinda blah. Hoping the graphite design gives me some feel with a little lower trajectory.

Agreed on HZRDUS a bit dead. Had that in the same M1 head as my GP and went GP over it.

As far as Speeder 6.2 TS, I'd expect a much smoother feel. GP is a very smooth shaft and I find it is easy to hit on cruise control or going after it. Speeder 6.2 I always felt like I had to go at it and had a tendency to pull it left and the shaft had zero remorse. GP feels much more user friendly. But tighter than DI. DI was like a wet noodle with no feel.

Agreed on HZRDUS a bit dead. Had that in the same M1 head as my GP and went GP over it.

As far as Speeder 6.2 TS, I'd expect a much smoother feel. GP is a very smooth shaft and I find it is easy to hit on cruise control or going after it. Speeder 6.2 I always felt like I had to go at it and had a tendency to pull it left and the shaft had zero remorse. GP feels much more user friendly. But tighter than DI. DI was like a wet noodle with no feel.

Awesome thanks for the feedback exactly what I was hoping to hear, It comes tomorrow and I'm playing Thursday so I'm hoping for the best. If not there will be a gp 6x in classifieds next week .. Lol

• 2 weeks later...

If you are liking the KK Silver, but are having dispersion Issues, then you might want to try the KK XT. It plays a little tighter than the Silver.

Thanks for the 'call'.

I actually went back and had another bash at my Pro's place. The results second time around were very different in terms of the Tour AD GP. Just goes to show how much any level of consistency is 'off' in my swing right now. Lol.

Seriously though, the Tour AD GP performed pretty awesome second time around. Still lovely and smooth (typical Graphite Design) Doesn't feel too firm or harsh. Ball speeds were 2-3mph quicker than just about anything else I tried in the M2 head. So I bit the bullet and went and ordered an M2 10.5 with Tour AD GP 6 Stiff Balck Edition (my SS was right around 104-105mph on Flightscope). Ball flight is Mid for me, and very low spin c.2000rpm. I've had the Driver in my hands now for about a week and couldn't be happier. Fabulous Combo.

I'm currently in LOVE with my AD GP 7x, coming from a D+ 70 X (which was my favorite for a while!).

I did NOT get along with the BB 7X AT ALL FWIW

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke MAX 10.5*  GD Tour AD XC-6X
TM M2 16.5* VEYLIX ROME 888
PXG 0317X 20* Oban Devotion S
Mizuno Fli-Hi #4
Mizuno Pro 225 5-G Modus 120
Mizuno T24 RAW 52/58 Modus 120
 Limited Edition PING PLD Prime Tyne 4 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/530023/ladahls-witb-pxg-callaway-titleist-taylormade-trying-graphite-in-irons-updates-on-last-pag

Took GP 7X and MT 7X to course Sunday and tried both. Hit some absolute rockets with both shafts. GP seems to have less movement left. MT I could really sling that hook big time. MT felt a little softer overall, similar to slightly higher launch and for sure higher spin.

I hit a few GP's around that 260y mark. Seems off the tee I can hit it 260-280 depending on course condition. MT I slammed one off the deck, downslope, 280y and rolled up on a par 5 while people were putting. Had no thought I'd reach. Absolutely blistered it. My wife was walking with me, which she never does, but she's 9months pregnant and wanted to walk. When I hit that ball she gasped and said "Wow, oh man you might hit them." Haha.

I think I'll probably stick with the GP in the end. Want to go to a range session and get some solid numbers but appears MT is too much spin. A touch too close to DI for me. Next I'll be shafting up a P9003 for the M1 to compare head to head (literally and figuratively) against GP 7x.