2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

The Put up or Shut Up Challenge - Got a beef, Settle it with your Game!

Hey Gang,

So I seriously wanted to try this....... I know I cant make this perfect, but its in the spirit of trying to "play" with different people, settling some differences, and testing theories that some of us may have.

What do I mean, well, LETS challenge each other to a round of golf.

I generally play once a week, At some what similar courses, If someone wants to "Play Me" I will take a picture of my score card, and we can compare our scores based on our handicaps, Match play style or medal style etc.

Again this wont be perfect, but the Idea, is to have more challenges to Strengthen our mental game knowing that we are playing against someone else.

The second part is to some what settle squabbles that are within the forums. If you think you are as good as you think you are, put your money where your mouth is and play. Or if you have a Blades vs GI/SGI challenge, lets try it and see!

think, this will build some camaraderie with people, settle some differences and maybe even be fun.

I am also going to see if I can work out some kind of "gift", If you beat me, I can try and have a GolfWRX "gift" shipped to your house, or Ebay something, if you are willing to give me your address.

Again, just thinking outside of the box and thought it would be fun to direct some people this way if they have an internet squabble that they want to settle!.

So I play a round Today! Does anyone WANT TO TAKE MY CHALLENGE????

Please respond, The first challenger if they beat me and are willing to give me their home address, I will have a small "Gift" Shipped to your house? I say small again this is not meant to make us broke, but just some fun online competition?

Of course this will be purely honor system, it is in my hopes that everyone "does the right thing" when working out the Score Cards and Handicaps.

Thanks for your time!!!!

*Edit*

Put up or Shut up thread.... Want to Challenge someone do it, Drop your Handi and a scorecard..... Man up or tuck your tail choose one!!!!!

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Knock it close Cool Beans, I was going to look for something on the bay that can ship easy, regardless thought this might be fun!

I will be heading out in 1 hour.

My current GHIN is 10.4

I will be playing a course that is

71.6 - 131 slope,

since you are a +1.7 LOL I will need some strokes HAHAHAH..... Anyways we can figure it out, I will post my score card later tonight! Good Luck to you Knock it!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Solid idea, but honor system + Internet forum debate = not good.

Other than that I like gambling a lot :)

Hey Bigmean, yeah was dreaming about it last night and was thinking how fun would it be to settle our differnces online... like the Blades Vs GI debate, I will play whatever set of clubs you want, my blades and GIs to prove that it wont make that much of a difference.....

I know what you mean about the Honor system but I assumed that its GolfWRX a little more honesty here then in the real world heheeh.

Lastly NO gambling =), I am offering a "Gift" not a prize or a bet =) Purely fun loving from the bottom of my heart. Again it isnt meant to break the bank, hey it might be a bag of tees, could be a ball marker, a towel, a sleeve of golf balls who knows what I feel like that day or how bad I get beat by someone!

Hopefully trying to start a movement here, You got a beef, put up or shut up =)

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I'm playing tomorrow so I'll give it a go if I remember to take a picture of my card before I submit it. No need to post gift as in the UK...not that I'll be in with a chance the way I've been playing lately ;-)

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

I'm playing tomorrow so I'll give it a go if I remember to take a picture of my card before I submit it. No need to post gift as in the UK...not that I'll be in with a chance the way I've been playing lately ;-)

HEHEHE This is going to be fun!!!!!!!!!!!!

I listed my course specs, and GHIN for comparison. Good Luck!!!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Knock it close Cool Beans, I was going to look for something on the bay that can ship easy, regardless thought this might be fun!

I will be heading out in 1 hour.

My current GHIN is 10.4

I will be playing a course that is

71.6 - 131 slope,

since you are a +1.7 LOL I will need some strokes HAHAHAH..... Anyways we can figure it out, I will post my score card later tonight! Good Luck to you Knock it!

Sounds good, hahaha don't worry you get some, I haven't been able to post any of my 3 scores this year as my course deactivated my account but I should be able to get it reset up tomorrow, don't think it would really affect it that much.

Mine is 74.6/144

Play well. we'll have to do it like pars halve pars cause obviously the par for each hole ain't gonna match.

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

Hmmm Ok this will be interesting, we will need to do a couple test runs to make this fair..... I will need some of you better experienced guys on scoring to chime in on this one....

Knock it close as an Example

74.6 /144 slope

Vs

71.6 /131 slope

Im giving back 3 strokes to him right?

So Im a 10 per say hes, a +1,

Im looking @ 11 strokes - 3, So 8 strokes, in essence? 4 and adjust? based on the easier score card or the harder score card? What do you guys think? Im thinking on the harder score card right? because he is giving me strokes so I should play off him?

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Hmmm Ok this will be interesting, we will need to do a couple test runs to make this fair..... I will need some of you better experienced guys on scoring to chime in on this one....

74.6 /144 slope

Vs

71.6 /131 slope

Im looking @ 11 strokes - 3, So 8 strokes, in essence? 4 and adjust? based on the easier score card or the harder score card? What do you guys think? Im thinking on the harder score card right? because he is giving me strokes so I should play off him?

Yea idk there will obviously be some things to iron out, I'll give you 5 a side

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

74.6 /144 slope

Vs

71.6 /131 slope

Yea idk there will obviously be some things to iron out, I'll give you 5 a side

Trial Run!!! Wow you are Generous ahahahaha We ok heading ok Good luck to all!!!!!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I think it only makes sense if the player getting any strokes (after adding course rating difference and hc difference) gets the strokes on his course. Plus, I don't think you can do match play, right? In any case, I'm in. E, let us know what the rules are. As a 9.6, I shot a 76 last weekend and an 84 today, so you never know what you're gonna get from me..

Well !@##$^^ I was a basket case today...... No excuse.... but the greens were HORRRRIIIIBBBLLLLEEEEE, punched, I swear it was like putting on a cobble stone road.....and freaking 30mph gust today.... gawt damn .........

anyways here is my horrendous round......

BTW, SGI, GI or Blades would not have saved my round LOL

Im JO BTW

Also My Fault the Course number I put was wrong its

71.6 / 118 Sorry about that!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

I am liking this, and I think it will be cooler with people here where there is no beef and thus no incentives to not keep it real. I guess I should try to actually stick with a handicap this year, I don't play competitively and between that, not caring other than scores and adhd, yeah.

So what about non handicap guys? I think most of us just kinda go off of avg above par and don't account slope and rating. Maybe a non official handicap tier? I could play nard straight up I think, depending on the damage and recovery time from my lesson today.

Also, maybe exactice and moderate, meaning, let's say I play nard, we both can't play same days maybe, but we pm him photos of the cards, and then when he has both he can post them so we don't know what the other did who played first. Not trying to give you more work, but that could be fun I and allow for one to play on Thursday let's say and another on Saturday with no clue. Just thinking......

Well !@##$^^ I was a basket case today...... No excuse.... but the greens were HORRRRIIIIBBBLLLLEEEEE, punched, I swear it was like putting on a cobble stone road.....and freaking 30mph gust today.... gawt damn .........

anyways here is my horrendous round......

BTW, SGI, GI or Blades would not have saved my round LOL

Im JO BTW

Also My Fault the Course number I put was wrong its

71.6 / 118 Sorry about that!

Exactice, you beat me this time...well done! I had a very poor round playing with my CBs (MacGregor MT Pro Cs) and a couple of four putts for a gross score of 95, nett score of 83 on a par 71 course so 12 over my handicap :-(. I'm playing again on Wednesday and have already put the MP4s back in the bag for a bit of a back-to-back comparison.

Bear with me on this and I will try and partly explain how handicapping works in the UK. It is far too complicated to fully explain. We don't quantify courses by 'slope.' Our course has a Standard Scratch Score (SSS) of 71 which is the same as the par. Some courses may have SSS that is a stroke or two different to their par score depending on how hard or easy the course is, but generally the SSS is the same as the par. When competitions are played, an assessment is calculated of the Competition Scratch Score (CSS) based on all the rounds played in the competition. This takes account how hard or easy the course is playing on the day. Today, with the wind blowing, scores were high and the CSS was calculated at 73 (bearing in mind the par is 71, it shows that the course was playing two shots harder than normal). Any changes to handicaps are then calculated against the CSS. So today my handicap has gone from 12.1 to 12.2 :-(

Radius Classic 8

I am liking this, and I think it will be cooler with people here where there is no beef and thus no incentives to not keep it real. I guess I should try to actually stick with a handicap this year, I don't play competitively and between that, not caring other than scores and adhd, yeah.

So what about non handicap guys? I think most of us just kinda go off of avg above par and don't account slope and rating. Maybe a non official handicap tier? I could play nard straight up I think, depending on the damage and recovery time from my lesson today.

Also, maybe exactice and moderate, meaning, let's say I play nard, we both can't play same days maybe, but we pm him photos of the cards, and then when he has both he can post them so we don't know what the other did who played first. Not trying to give you more work, but that could be fun I and allow for one to play on Thursday let's say and another on Saturday with no clue. Just thinking......

Hey Bigmean, Yes!!!!! This was kinda of the idea, it was not meant to be soooo serious but yet to put a little stress and even a little pride on the table if you are gutsy enough to post your actual score. Lets face it there are some Vanity Handicap players here and what they post is BS........

As for guys without an official handicap, I would say you play with the best number you can think of. Of course at the end when the scores come down if you are way of we can adjust for the next round. Again its totally an honor system....... I mean common, how dumb to I feel, having a GHIN of 10.4 yet, I shoot 91 on a par 71 course...10 over my Handicap LOL DOUBLE my handicap........ yet....I have statistical proof, while playing with AP2's, I have a higher percentage GIR yet, I 40 putted.....=( and 2 penalties....thats my 10 strokes right there LOL!!!!

Anyways...... Bigmean thank you.....I also wanted to point out other members can challenge other members. Not just me heheheh so I would say......post up who wants to play who, and then you guys can negotiate the terms of the round, match, medal, handicap etc!

Exactice, you beat me this time...well done! I had a very poor round playing with my CBs (MacGregor MT Pro Cs) and a couple of four putts for a gross score of 95, nett score of 83 on a par 71 course so 12 over my handicap :-(. I'm playing again on Wednesday and have already put the MP4s back in the bag for a bit of a back-to-back comparison.

Bear with me on this and I will try and partly explain how handicapping works in the UK. It is far too complicated to fully explain. We don't quantify courses by 'slope.' Our course has a Standard Scratch Score (SSS) of 71 which is the same as the par. Some courses may have SSS that is a stroke or two different to their par score depending on how hard or easy the course is, but generally the SSS is the same as the par. When competitions are played, an assessment is calculated of the Competition Scratch Score (CSS) based on all the rounds played in the competition. This takes account how hard or easy the course is playing on the day. Today, with the wind blowing, scores were high and the CSS was calculated at 73 (bearing in mind the par is 71, it shows that the course was playing two shots harder than normal). Any changes to handicaps are then calculated against the CSS. So today my handicap has gone from 12.1 to 12.2 :-(

Damn Mahonie, you are not kidding that is some complicated handicap system LOL!.......

since this is nothing official I wonder how simple we can keep this.......

I think......

Stated Handicap per player, whatever it is. 10hdcp vd 20 hdcp

Average course rating - 71.2 vs 73.2

Stroke differential - 10 strokes with a 2 stroke difference for courses, so net 8 strokes

Handicap - 4 a side for the 20hdcp

Keep it to this rating?

As for the schedules, I am wondering if it will make so much of a difference as I am assuming we are all trying to play the best round we can, I would be surprised if someone would total base their round off a random internet person like me! I know knock it close plays today and has seen my score prior hand but I dont think he will "relax" just because I shot a bad round, I would hope he plays to his handicap and or better!!!

Anyways...this is a test run and again something fun. Again if you want to add an incentive like a "gift" I think that would also be cool too, as I have lots of stuff from Hawaii like, ball markers, tees, etc etc... nothing expensive, but how cool if mahonie from the UK got a Hawaiian ball marker? Something so random LOL

anyways suggestions, Ideas, etc... keep and rolling, keep up the scoring and lets make a movement!!!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Hey apologies we got hail today and a little snow so my course shut it down for the day. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get out next, maybe tomorrow but I will let you know.

No problem, again nothing serious, just kind fun to see how we can do this!

Also I realized a couple more holes in the scoring....so I thought about it this weekend,

We wont be able to "Match" up cards per say since the par3 and par 5 will be mixed in. I would say this..... you read off the par 4's in order and when the first par 3 or Par 5 shows up you pull the next available par 3 or Par 5 score and then keep going down the line with the par 4's.

Knock it close, Its a new week =) I play on Wednesday, I think I will use that score card ehehehehehe, but I will give you fair play, as the course I play on Wednesday is 100X harder than the course I played last week Friday.

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Hey apologies we got hail today and a little snow so my course shut it down for the day. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get out next, maybe tomorrow but I will let you know.

Also I realized a couple more holes in the scoring....so I thought about it this weekend,

We wont be able to "Match" up cards per say since the par3 and par 5 will be mixed in. I would say this..... you read off the par 4's in order and when the first par 3 or Par 5 shows up you pull the next available par 3 or Par 5 score and then keep going down the line with the par 4's.

Knock it close, Its a new week =) I play on Wednesday, I think I will use that score card ehehehehehe, but I will give you fair play, as the course I play on Wednesday is 100X harder than the course I played last week Friday.

You could always look at the Stableford format...it would make things a lot easier I think

Radius Classic 8

You could always look at the Stableford format...it would make things a lot easier I think

Gotta look that up? BRB!!! Suggestions are truly appreciated, Totally thought this would be easy...... was easier laying in bed...than it is thinking about it LOL!!!!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

We play Stableford a lot in the UK. This article should explain it:

http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/features/the-game/stableford-explained-77797

Radius Classic 8

I'll jump in for a quick explanation if you want to play Net with different course ratings, slope, and handicaps. First you should divide the slope by 113. So, for Exactice's course and tees, you would divide 118 / 113 and get 1.04. Multiply that times you index at 10.4 and get 10.9. Add 10.9 to your course rating at 71.6 and you get 82.5 so your target differential is 10.5 strokes. Your numbers are so close to "standard" that it's pretty much your index.

For KIC, you can just subtract his plus handicap from the course rating, so his target differential would be .9 over par at 72.9. Turns out to be pretty dang close to 10 strokes as you guys guessed.

I'm probably playing Wednesday if anyone wants to play...

We play up a box for the skins for the older guys so I'll be playing a course rated at 69.4 with 123 slope with an index of 9.8. So, my target score is 80 to beat my handicap.

Stableford puts less emphasis on bad hole scores and more emphasis on good holes (bogey = 0 pts rather than 1 stroke over).

Might be interesting to compare stroke play vs Stableford..

Just checked my rounds over the last 5 years and all competitions are calculated both stroke and Stableford and I cannot see any correlation. It may be that my scoring is so erratic that it would be impossible to spot any trends at all ;-)

Radius Classic 8

BM, I just saw this. I am in. I am playing Friday. Do not know particulars here but I am up for it.