Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

Conrad1953

I've never had a club mix up before (except when I chosen the wrong one LOL) I can tell what club I have in my hand by looking down at it from the address position. I know, I know,... I have a gift :cheesy: :drag: :D

Keep on thinking that. :pardon:

Nothing surpasses the belief in the supernatural. :yess:

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

With the topic "Exploding heads" I thought I might stumble on a headache cure.

I has been, so far, a casual trend to start a new chapter using the end of the last chapter as a Theme.

It's sad that this 12th Chapter could be the last of the Confessions Thread.

Confessions don't die. They grow strong or fade away.

Confession: I played like the hind end of a horse today. But, I won. Making it into my first flighted championship (3rd flight). Confession: the guy I play tomorrow will own me. But, he's the nicest guy in town and dare I say friend.

So, the nights have been getting longer and the turf was soft at 9:30 when we pegged it up. It took me about 13 holes and 20 chunked shots to start hitting knockdown cuts and finding greens. That has certainly been a down side to becoming a draw player. I'm trapping the ball and getting steep. We took it to 18 where I finally played like I wanted to win. Good tee ball, then a bad lay up has me 145 out behind some trees. I see a window, test the turf with a practice swing nearby, and it just feel right. The right club, the right shot, and the right moment. I think I might have pulled it a touch because it didn't go through the gap I picked, but 80% air and all, a few leaves fell of the tree and I saw it coming in just left of the pin over the elevated front of the green. Hear some applause and some "great shots" from the gallery and walk around the side to find it pin high about 15 feet slightly above the hole. Never had to hit the putt.

It'll be my first Monday tomorrow and I'm getting crystal either big or small, so really I've already won in my mind. Lots of great sticks in our flight this year. Everybody that didn't make the "cut" into the top 32 including my opponent tomorrow that just won our Club Championship.

Don't think I won't give it a go. He can spray it, but he also hit a drive 380 this week. Yeah. You read that right.

You guys have helped me come a long way and I've appreciated every moment!

The last? Why?

I'll let some of the few others left explain.

You don't want to hear it from a still bitter, raging animal.

Great stuff MJ! The pressure is off then, go out and have fun. Free wheel it, and who knows right??? IMO ALL the pressure is on him. Par him to death LOL . Stick to your game, let him make the mistakes and hand you the bigger crystal. :D

He took it on 18. We battled hard. I don't think either of us ever went more than 1 up. I hit some clutch putts. He dropped some bombs. We had an amazing day with incredible weather, tons of friends, probably a gallery of 10 to 20 people all day. Nothing like hitting a great shot and having 8 or 10 people instantly clap and say, "nice shot!" Made a ton of great memories and a ton of new friends. Golf wins Labor Day in my town. The awards ceremony is special, too. Getting a piece of crystal is nice. My first and hopefully not my last!

Great stuff MJ! The pressure is off then, go out and have fun. Free wheel it, and who knows right??? IMO ALL the pressure is on him. Par him to death LOL . Stick to your game, let him make the mistakes and hand you the bigger crystal. :D

He took it on 18. We battled hard. I don't think either of us ever went more than 1 up. I hit some clutch putts. He dropped some bombs. We had an amazing day with incredible weather, tons of friends, probably a gallery of 10 to 20 people all day. Nothing like hitting a great shot and having 8 or 10 people instantly clap and say, "nice shot!" Made a ton of great memories and a ton of new friends. Golf wins Labor Day in my town. The awards ceremony is special, too. Getting a piece of crystal is nice. My first and hopefully not my last!

Great stuff!!! Each and every time your in the heat of competition it's a notch on your belt and it does get easier in my experience. Cool thing is it NEVER stops being fun. It's nice to practice hard for something and see the fruits of your labor (pun intended??) I REALLY REALLY REALLY miss that feeling of competition. Congrats on the well fought match, and let this be motivation to play more competitions. You'll win one I'm sure.

Way to hang tough, MJ. Very nice.

Okay, our post cycle has slowed considerably in our little WRX haven, so I thought I'd bore you all with a lengthy write up of the Championship match last Monday...

First tee: they announce your name, butterflies in the stomach, peg it up and let rip. Tough tee shot, trees left, the right side of the fairway slopes towards OB, par 5 I can't reach, I'm first on the tee and pipe 3 wood about 240 center cut. Partner pushes a LONG drive right, we hear it hit a tree, red flag goes up from the spotter and he pulls another into the tree jail left. I'm feeling pretty good, until we find his first out in the fairway. Turns out it hit a tree and the spotter lost sight and threw the flag up. I blow the lay up too far right and get stuck with branches in the ball's projected path. Get too aggressive on the knockdown and hit the limb so the ball drops straight into the bunker, plugged under the lip. I consider an unplayable but gouge it out, a shot down I end up conceding to his par.

Second hole he gives it back blowing one far right into the road OB. Back to even. Third hole is the number one handicap hole and I give myself a 12 foot look uphill for bird. He saves par with an incredible escape from behind some trees and I miss the putt. Still even. Fourth hole we both butcher the long uphill par 3 tee shot, but I send my recovery OB and concede another to go 1 down. We're both playing nervous on an extremely tight course. Ugly golf.

I come back on 5 with a sand save after he has to play out of the woods and misses his par save. I take the 6th after saving par from the bunker. I'm one up. 7th is a debacle and I concede that one. We tie with pars on both 8 and 9. Even at the turn.

I get out of position on the 10th tee, but hit a pretty amazing hook out of the trees about 190 that hits before the surface but rolls off the back. He sinks a long birdie, so I'm one down. 11 he gets way out of position again, I save par to win. Back to even. 12 he hits a drive about 310 leaving himself 90. I hit a 3 wood hard but it balloons into the wind and leaves me 225. I crush a 3 wood back into the wind pin high off the surface but with 20 yards of green to work with. He misses his birdie putt and I save par with a 15 footer. Still even.

13 is a hard hole. Crazy old school slope from back to front on the green that you really can't stop a ball on the surface from above the hole. He takes it after I leave a hard chip about 7 feet downhill but underplay the slope on the putt. I come back on 14 with a big cut approach into a back pin. Lag a downhill putt that he concedes the tap in for par.

15 is where I lose the golf tournament. I miss right he misses left on a 195 yard uphill par 3. My side is against the grain and I two putt, he makes a great save and goes one up. I tie it on 16 after he chunks a pitch shot, but then once again I drop the par 3 17th after he gets up and down with a bomb of about 18 feet above the hole. We go into 18 with me down 1.

He crushes a drive about two holes over from the fairway and I pipe mine into the A position. He hits an amazing recovery and finds the fairway about 100 yards out. I fat my lay up and leave myself 145 with a real weird lie. There's an undulation in the first cut that puts my feet 6 inches below the ball. I have to take an extra club and choke down a ton. Hit an amazing shot, but it has no spin and rolls into the first cut behind the hole. My caddie and I do a terrible job reading the pitch shot, but I throw it out there and sink the 15 footer coming back. He's lying 3 (par 5) about 9 or 10 feet above the hole with a putt that probably breaks 4 or 5 inches. I take my hat off and ask him, "you're not going to three putt are you?" We both laugh, he gets back in there and grinds the putt, center cup for birdie.

We're both almost in tears when we hug on the putting green. Friendship solidified. We had a gallery that varied in size from 12 or 15 to 30 or 35 spectators at times. I've never shaken so many hands after a round of golf. Life changing day. By far the most fun and nervous I've ever been on a golf course.

Matt,

If I read this right, had you left the nerves in the car, you'd have taken this. :yess:

But, now you know it can be done, and it's not your game, just nerves. :yahoo:

Matt J I like this discussion on nerves and performing under pressure. I think first and foremost is that you MUST WANT it in order to perform well under it. It is OK to be nervous, it is only natural, and just like you state it is how you channel the nerves. You can either freak out and let it wreck your motor skills or you channel it towards increased focus and determination. I'm not saying you should have no fear or nerves and that you will always perform well under it, but what I am saying is that if you let that fear get the best of you, then it will, and then you have no chance of performing well.

And then once you have that confidence to WANT and relish the pressure, then it is a matter of putting yourself in that situation as much as possible so that you can perform under it.

I think you sharing this experience is also part of it. I like how you shared all of it, even before the match, and I'm thinking in some ways that it helped you prepare mentally.

I call it all being "clutch". There is physical talent/skill and then there is this "clutch" talent to perform in the face of adversity. The two can most definitely be mutually exclusive. If you don't have the latter, then most definitely you shouldn't compete.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Nerves work both ways. Playing in front of hundreds of people is going to make you nervous, but you have to channel it...

More later!

The Course I belonged to, as a member, are VERY serious about the Club Championship. (Including, heavy betting)

I'm on the first tee, and I muff it something cute. (Nothing this ugly, can't be cute) I walk ±150 yrds to my ball, pull out my 3+W, and nuke it. Even I, was wondering who hit that. I hear hooos & haaaas and some applause. :yess: I looked up and said, loud enough for everyone to hear: "The moral of this story is: Always hit your second shot FIRST!" :cheesy: (The crowd went wild, :yahoo: )

By inter-acting with the gallery, it put me in the same frame of mind (zone) as when I walk up to the green, glance at my ball and think: "I can do this", before setting foot on there.

The only golfer I know, who could block out the gallery is Tiger. IMHO, I might as well engage them. ""Can't beat them--join them--"" :rofl:

The gallery didn't come to see ME! They came to see a *show*, (to be entertained) whether it's hilarious or amazing, makes "no never mind" to them. :taunt:

I like "clutch"..............................Yep! I reaaaaallly like "clutch"!

Well stated, Ninja. I'd say most folks are scared they're going to hit a real skunker, but in reality that happens to all golfers why worry about it. I've never been scared I was going to just fall to pieces, but in match play you can just scream pick it up and march to the next tee, haha.

I think most of us have an exhibitionist side we have to tap into and enjoy the spotlight. I hit some of the best shots of hit in months out there, but I hit some pretty poor ones too.

I love good nerves, it makes you feel alive! Great stuff guys!

Before golf I was a competitive bowler, got to play some pretty big tournaments, my last tournament was the World Tenpin Bowling Championships held in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, this was in 2003. Anyway, throughout all my travels I've had many moments where I needed to "pull a rabbit out the hat", weather it was a tough spare to make the cut, 4 strikes in a row to win, and this is for both individual and team. I've learned that nerves will happen, your body will do some funky things. Like when I bowled 300 I knew what was happening, my hands where shaking terribly, the whole alley was silent, everyone was watching. BUT I just let my hours of practice and instincts take over. Also I kept to my routine,three tosses of the rosen bag, dry hand over blower, wipe ball tossing and spinning it 3 times with my towel, visualize the ball rolling down the lane into the pocket.

After bowling drumming came along. Performing in front of people 5+ nights a week for 10+ years really made being under the microscope very normal, and trust me I've had my moments where I've made mistakes. I've felt like I was drowning in nerves while trying to right the ship. I used to get really angry and embarrassed when making mistakes, and it effected the rest of my night. Once I learned nerves, and mistakes are inevitable I learned to accept them. Instead of anger, I smiled and just kept going. I also realized only the most trained ear could really tell you missed a beat.

Performance under pressure gets a little easier each time you go through it. In those nervous moments early on I would wish they were over, but I soon learned that when things are going wrong or when the nerves are getting the best of you it's really the time to be more aware. Kinda like hitting the range AFTER a terrible round. Gotta catch the evil while it's happening so you can be better prepared and make the necessary adjustments the next go around.

AHHHHHHHHH I can't wait to compete again LOL

Sorry for the mini novel guys :D

Your novels are great Hambone.

The only thing worse than the spotlight is the absence of it. :)

I sometimes claim to be an omnivert because I can enjoy and embrace public attention, but I don't get lonely very easily and truly like solitary activities. I guess that's part of the beauty of growing up on a farm. You make things up to have fun. Well, the countdown to next year has started. I established last year and played as a 12, this year I was as low as a 5, but played as an 8. This year, I think I'd be pleased to get under 3 and play at around a 5. I really want to be competitive in gross events. I think I'm two years away.

Your novels are great Hambone.

The only thing worse than the spotlight is the absence of it. :)

I sometimes claim to be an omnivert because I can enjoy and embrace public attention, but I don't get lonely very easily and truly like solitary activities. I guess that's part of the beauty of growing up on a farm. You make things up to have fun. Well, the countdown to next year has started. I established last year and played as a 12, this year I was as low as a 5, but played as an 8. This year, I think I'd be pleased to get under 3 and play at around a 5. I really want to be competitive in gross events. I think I'm two years away.

Thanks MJ!

I enjoy being somewhat in the spotlight, I did start off as a lead singer but couldn't stand being the absolute center of attention, I like the drums. The drums allow me to control things and let my performance do all the talking LOL , I guess....

This year, believe it or not I feel like I got better at golf LOL, my swing feels great, and my body feels better. 2017 is gonna be a big year I can feel it!!

Mattskee, I think your goals are most definitely achievable! Keep practicing, and playing. Most of all enjoy the process, perhaps you should fly out here and play a tournament LOL Actually if any of you ever feel like stopping by I'll take you out for a round or 4! I'm only a $2700.00 round trip ticket away :beach:

I have a big member / guest tourney next week and we could definitely win it. I don't know what the tournament did to me, but I'm striking the ball the best I have in 4 or 5 months at least.

I'd love to come for a visit, but I'd need to hit the lotto to buy that ticket right now. I gotta keep grinding away at work and stash some cash then make some fun stuff happen. I'd like to get up to Chamber's Bay in the next week or two before the rains hit, might fly up there for just the day. Come stateside, bro!

That tournament just made you realize you have game. Plus after feeling tournament pressure a casual round feels sooo much easier. I say just keep it going, don't overthink it and keep your killer instinct, go win it!

No worries, it's pretty damn expensive to fly anywhere from here, except the Philippines. I'll DEFINITELY be coming out. Could be March, but most definitely June/July next year. My whole family is going out to Seattle I think so I might tag along then. Chambers was fun, I wish I could go play it now. You should give it a whirl, fun course!

Well guys I hate to admit it but I may have to drag the forged CBs out for money matches. Have played 2 big matches this week and ended up even by scrambling and luck. I am off just a little with the old blades. What is funny is I am dead nuts on with the driver and found me an more modern (Adams 15* with the slot in the top) 3 wood that is a rocket. My buddy the Miura dealer told me that I do not practice and play every day and that i am getting older and my hand eye coordnation is not what it used to be. Well my CBs are not all that bad after all they were custom ground for me and they are forged and do not look clunky at address and they do hit good The reason I have been hitting the driver and fairways so good is the fact I have been messing around some with the persimmons. I am going to hit the CBs some today after church and see. I will continue to play my old blades in fun and vintage matches and practice with them but in the money matches I guess I may go the CB route. My partner for the last 2 days who is the top Amateur Super senior player in SC said yeah you hit the ball good for no more than you play or practice any more but that I have gave up 3 shots a side playing the blades the last two days and you have been off a tick or so. He also shot under his age for the umpteenth time yesterday he is 72 and shot 69 from the seniors tees with get this Three 3 putts!! The 3 holes he messed up on I managed to wake up long enough to make 2 pars and a birdie. I actually scrambled my butt off on one after a nasty snap hook with the driver. In two days and 45 holes I missed the fairway 2 times with the driver and that was one of them. hope I do not get kicked out of the Bladeocrats Association for this but like 3 or 4 good players told me I am giving up a competetive edge playing the old stuff with this crowd.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Well guys I hate to admit it but I may have to drag the forged CBs out for money matches. Have played 2 big matches this week and ended up even by scrambling and luck. I am off just a little with the old blades. What is funny is I am dead nuts on with the driver and found me an more modern (Adams 15* with the slot in the top) 3 wood that is a rocket. My buddy the Miura dealer told me that I do not practice and play every day and that i am getting older and my hand eye coordnation is not what it used to be. Well my CBs are not all that bad after all they were custom ground for me and they are forged and do not look clunky at address and they do hit good The reason I have been hitting the driver and fairways so good is the fact I have been messing around some with the persimmons. I am going to hit the CBs some today after church and see. I will continue to play my old blades in fun and vintage matches and practice with them but in the money matches I guess I may go the CB route. My partner for the last 2 days who is the top Amateur Super senior player in SC said yeah you hit the ball good for no more than you play or practice any more but that I have gave up 3 shots a side playing the blades the last two days and you have been off a tick or so. He also shot under his age for the umpteenth time yesterday he is 72 and shot 69 from the seniors tees with get this Three 3 putts!! The 3 holes he messed up on I managed to wake up long enough to make 2 pars and a birdie. I actually scrambled my butt off on one after a nasty snap hook with the driver. In two days and 45 holes I missed the fairway 2 times with the driver and that was one of them. hope I do not get kicked out of the Bladeocrats Association for this but like 3 or 4 good players told me I am giving up a competetive edge playing the old stuff with this crowd.

I won't lie, I've always had a soft spot for the 2013 Callaway X Forged irons, those are my dream CB's

And don't sweat it STU, play what you believe in, especially if it's for money!! :)

S...M...H...!!!

Registered Bladeocrat

Well I hit the CBs pretty good today. Even with the sole relief in the past I had dug them some. Come to find out my buddy the Miura dealer is an Infiniti dealer too. Now he told me my other buddy who built those clubs had a reputation for extreme jacking of lofts. I had them up on my machine last night and they were jacked to the hilt 3* strong. I have the stock factory specs and they are real close to what we call traditional lofts so I set them at spec. I hit them pretty good today even though my ball striking is off I got away with a couple and was putting for birdie. When you hit those on the button they will go though especially the long irons. I flat nutted the 4 iron into a cross breeze today Hit it about 185 up a hill on the green. Surprised the heck out of me.

We figured out that in the experimental /promotional stages why I was told and it was a part of the agreement that i was not to put the clubs on my machine and modify them in any way. He had them jacked and told people how far I hit them. If I had put them on my machine i would have known. Back on spec like they are made to be they hit fine with no digging. Only got to play 9 because a big storm came up that is why there was such a breeze on #9. I just have to get used to them again because overall they are somewhat lighter than the VIPs but the shaft kicks good at the bottom mainly because they are FST 90 shafts. It just feels a little different. I hit them ok before but never had the confidence to play them in a money match

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

BIG STU, you are going to take a minor hit in the workability and feel department with those CBs. And every now and then you are going to nuke one like that 4i.

Registered Bladeocrat