2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Confessions 12 --- Exploding Heads

Conrad1953

I have to get my putter going. Had absolute control over my golf ball yesterday, but had 34 putts. Could have easily been 26 or 27. That's going to be my big focus over the winter.

I assume that, like me, Winter implies no outside practice facility. I find that, although better than nothing at all, in house/garage practice is limited to a very few repetitive set-up opportunities, which can lead to habit vs management, taking all of the fun (concentration) out of putting practice.

May I suggest, even if it means going out of your way a few times a week, an inside mini-golf/putt-putt, or try to find a golf teaching academy with a multi-holes practice green? If push comes to shove, most big box retailers have a putter section...You could alternate between them.

Winter Putting practice is not as easy as it's said to be. I concentrate more on grip, stance, impact spot and direction, (set up) than on speed. (Those artificial greens are like a pool table)

The more I relax, the easier it gets.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

Send us your cool air, your rain, your snow, and all the things that go along with it. FINALLY below 85 today and I am not one to believe the weather guy who says it will be in the 70's this week.

Hopefully I will get a chance to hit a ball this week too. Things have been a bit off around here with some chest infection and getting the new car hit by a wheel, getting it into the shop, and before I took it back there were 4 new damage spots FROM THE SHOP. Yeah... one of those weeks.

In some exciting breaking news 3 Oregon WRXers are slated to play a round together next Saturday. Stay tuned for pictures and stories. Should the Confessioners determine the wager and handicapping?

The Skinz Game!

The course...

http://birdieeye.com/courses/langdon-farms

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Sounds like you guys are gonna have some fun!

That course looks awesome!!

There is a good chance it will be a foursome now.

Registered Bladeocrat

They say it only takes three weeks to end the dependency that we can have on a habit forming substance, be it alcohol, tobacco or the like. The first three weeks will be hell, but if you can get past that point, chances are pretty good that you can have the problem licked if you are disciplined!

My wife and I just returned last night from a fortnight in Europe enjoying a river cruise with addition days tacked on the ends at Prague and Budapest. Yes, the former Eastern bloc countries. They aren't Eastern bloc anymore! There are still a few stark reminders, but the Soviet domination that was so deeply entrenched is but a distant, yet troubling memory. AS Hungarians are quick to say; they have been very poor when it comes to picking sides in European conflicts over the centuries!

The confession I have to make is that during our trip not once did a thought of golf even enter my mind! It was truly refreshing because even in the off-season, I certainly think about golf even if I'm not able to play.

It has been at least a full three weeks since I have picked up a club. I doubt I will play this week as I'm trying to get over one of those nasty respiratory infections that tends to propagate on cruise ships. Truth is that I'm not missing it, mind you I have had my mind occupied by other things. With true fall conditions here and the curling season opening this week at my club, it wouldn't be hard to keep on ignoring golf.

Perhaps that's why I'm back here on the interwebs conversing over a virtual beer -- I'm still on Euro time so the bars are definitely serving. I had arranged to get a late season driver fitting in, but after that sort of a layoff, it seems ill advised even if I was getting a pretty fair offer on a warranty allowance. Truth is that I don't even care about that at this point because my 3W remains a perfectly serviceable option of a man of my talents and I can't imagine getting in more than a handful of games, if that, to close out the season. Why bother?

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

They say it only takes three weeks to end the dependency that we can have on a habit forming substance, be it alcohol, tobacco or the like. The first three weeks will be hell, but if you can get past that point, chances are pretty good that you can have the problem licked if you are disciplined!

My wife and I just returned last night from a fortnight in Europe enjoying a river cruise with addition days tacked on the ends at Prague and Budapest. Yes, the former Eastern bloc countries. They aren't Eastern bloc anymore! There are still a few stark reminders, but the Soviet domination that was so deeply entrenched is but a distant, yet troubling memory. AS Hungarians are quick to say; they have been very poor when it comes to picking sides in European conflicts over the centuries!

The confession I have to make is that during our trip not once did a thought of golf even enter my mind! It was truly refreshing because even in the off-season, I certainly think about golf even if I'm not able to play.

It has been at least a full three weeks since I have picked up a club. I doubt I will play this week as I'm trying to get over one of those nasty respiratory infections that tends to propagate on cruise ships. Truth is that I'm not missing it, mind you I have had my mind occupied by other things. With true fall conditions here and the curling season opening this week at my club, it wouldn't be hard to keep on ignoring golf.

Perhaps that's why I'm back here on the interwebs conversing over a virtual beer -- I'm still on Euro time so the bars are definitely serving. I had arranged to get a late season driver fitting in, but after that sort of a layoff, it seems ill advised even if I was getting a pretty fair offer on a warranty allowance. Truth is that I don't even care about that at this point because my 3W remains a perfectly serviceable option of a man of my talents and I can't imagine getting in more than a handful of games, if that, to close out the season. Why bother?

Sacrilege post and great confession.

I confess I *may* forget about golf if surrounded by Eastern bloc hotties. Or Scandinavian.

The longest I've gone without golf in the last 10 years has been 2 weeks.

Registered Bladeocrat

Must have been a GREAT trip, I find it hard to not think about golf for 5 minutes LOL! I'm sure the break was very refreshing and needed. I always see those ads for river cruises, perhaps one day I'll get to experience one for myself!

In Maui now. Last year in Durango when 26 inches of rain fell on our chucktown townhouse. Now Matt. Hoping is gets more east. Stay safe papa. At least we hav flood and the association has a great policy which actually includes wind damage. Hope it is not needed. We don't get back til th 26th. Not much we can do but enjoy Maui which isn't hard.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

In Maui now. Last year in Durango when 26 inches of rain fell on our chucktown townhouse. Now Matt. Hoping is gets more east. Stay safe papa. At least we hav flood and the association has a great policy which actually includes wind damage. Hope it is not needed. We don't get back til th 26th. Not much we can do but enjoy Maui which isn't hard.

thanks buddy. the family and I are hunkered down in our house. should be ok.

Forever Changing at this point.......

LOL Pal-o-mine Hummer knows how to weather storms.

Registered Bladeocrat

LOL Pal-o-mine Hummer knows how to weather storms.

Gotta say we've been REAL lucky out here, in the last 14 years I've noticed they form on top of us then head to the Philippines, Taiwan, Okinawa, or Japan. But yes, I've been through some doozies here, Super Typhoon Omar, Super Typhoon Paka ( probably the worst I've been through 195mph peak gusts recorded) and Typhoon Pongsona. Last year we had Typhoon Dolphin but it was small potatoes really. It's been 14 years since we've had a "big one" it's only a matter of time.

For all you East Coasters, be safe, and while there is still time make sure you have everything you need. I'll be sending thoughts and prayers your way!

All safe here in the papa household. Ended up with 4 extra people who didn't want to get out but needed to get away from their homes. Hard wind. A few downed trees but nothing serious. Thanks all and hope everyone in MB is safe

Thanks for letting us know Papa, and glad everything is good out there!

WRX outing was fun. Nice fall weather, a little wind, a well conditioned layout, lots of great conversation. More to come...

Yes it was very fun indeed. LOL and you tried to parlay for strokes and shoot 80 to my 83. LMAO nice try!

Hey everyone, check out MJ's nice on plane drive. LOL and that is just about the top of his backswing. His swing is so efficient it is sick. Also that's spud3 in the background.

Here is spud3 just after hitting 50 yard wedge approach on the same hole. He stuck it to 3' and made the putt.

Here is Matt J, spud3, and dan360 staring down Matt J's woefully short putt.

And lastly here is dan360 after hitting his final approach 2nd shot on #18. He clocked a 3w onto the green for a 30' eagle putt (made birdie). Look at him staring it down. That's Matt J in the background.

It was a great day of golf.

Registered Bladeocrat

One of these years I will get up that way and take on the Ninja... a battle of the blades to come! :)

Worst case, if anyone hits SoCal let me know and I will see what I can do about getting out. Most courses here are not worth the price so I drive out into the Inland Empire for MUCH better courses.

One of these years I will get up that way and take on the Ninja... a battle of the blades to come! :)

Worst case, if anyone hits SoCal let me know and I will see what I can do about getting out. Most courses here are not worth the price so I drive out into the Inland Empire for MUCH better courses.

I'll see what I can do when I head out, I have friends in SoCal, I'd love to tee it up with you Gaucho!

There is a good chance we can play down in SoCal too. I have family there. I would love to exchange blade shots with you. That was a lot of the fun yesterday. I confess at first I was nervous about not representing the bladeocrats well but luckily it was a good day with the baby blades. The turf was nice and soft too. Pure strikes felt mah-velous.

Registered Bladeocrat

Hopefully I will have this swing modification all fixed by then. When I was out in Vegas to play Rio Secco and Cascata through an offer via another site I do reviews for, I was in between like I am now, but it was a different part of the change. By day 2 it was working pretty well (Cascata), but the 2 way miss was killing me... got to see plenty of bunkers though. :)

One of these days I will get that winning lotto ticket and then I can get the game going with consistency.

It was fun golf and even better conversation. Thanks for allowing my fat arse to tag along at the back of the pack.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

It was fun golf and even better conversation. Thanks for allowing my fat arse to tag along at the back of the pack.

Good too see you Mr. 360! Hoping all is well your way good Sir!

Btw, next year is the year for me, I'll be out there. We must go hack it around!

Brolauan Homer we need somebody that can out drive our man Dan. He can make mashed potatoes. Get out here ASAP!

Registered Bladeocrat

how about a little east coast action geeze hahaha. Our courses are pretty nice, although the bermuda may mess yall up a bit. Pretty different from the grasses you NW people play with ;)

I have family in North Carolina, Jacksonville and Raleigh. I have played at Paradise Point at Camp LeJeune and Duke U's course...You never know when you may get a pm from me to play out there...

And yeah bermuda is like velcro on your wedges.

Registered Bladeocrat