2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Arccos vs GameGolf live

Is Arccos still the best of these type of products? I see other threads about ClubHub and a few other products. I'm looking mostly at the Arccos since I'd like to not do the tap thing.

Not sure if people are actually getting use from these devices or sticking with them because of the investment.

I'm sure when I pull the trigger, the company will release a new product. Guaranteed.

Quick question: what do I do when taking 2-3 clubs to my shot or greenside? Are these issues or simple things to workaround?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am an Arccos user. I love it. I used Game Golf when it first came out and was a fan of that one too, but at the time, it was not near Arccos. I think that has changed now with GGLive.

Arccos has some issues (sometimes) when I take 2-3 clubs out by registering a shot when I drop them on the ground, but its easy enough to delete a shot.

I am not sure I get any game improvement out of mine, but that is my fault for not practicing the weak areas. I like the GPS course map when I play new courses. Happy to answer any specifics you may have.

I'm mostly trying to see how it's used to get better or if it's mostly another gadget with more cool factor than benefit to my game.

I'm in the 90-96 range most days and looking to make a jump into the 80s and hope that additional information about club distance and performance will help.

I'm most worried about buying something that becomes a bigger P-I-T-A to use than it's worth. I returned a Garmin S6 for that very reason.

It definitely will disrupt your flow and your thinking when you play. If you stick with it long enough you get used to it but at first it's a distraction, no doubt.

I don't really think Game Golf (and certainly not Arccos) would ever totally fade into the background for me. I am always aware of the process of using it and the fact that it is monitoring me shot for shot. I'm not saying it's some huge distraction or anything like that, I just feel like I'm sort of watching myself over my own shoulder when I use it.

So if you want shot by shot feedback every time you play golf the technology is great. I don't think there's any need to wait for something better, either of those gadgets will give you useful information. Especially if you're patient enough to let it accumulate a few rounds before you worry about the details too much.

For my part, I just found it hard to play golf and enjoy the game while self-monitoring like that. And really there's only so much it can tell you that you don't already have a pretty good idea of in terms of your own swing and so forth. No replacement for video-based lessons for improving your swing for instance.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

Agree with most everyone's comments.

What i find I do is not look very often during the round. If I do look at it, it usually is just to make sure I get the score right. After the round, usually later in the evening, I will look back at the round.

One thing I do like, for every round it gives you your handicap by shot type (Drive, approach, putt, chip, sand) and you can monitor that. I don't understand the calculations, but when I drive it well, it shows a lower handicap....when i hit it poor its high. Over one round, I know what to work on, but where the app helps is it keep up with it over multiple rounds. No doubt it will point you to the weaknesses in your game.

I would buy it again, and that is saying something, because I would not necessarily buy the Apple Watch again. The watch is cool, but that wears off quickly, the Arccos could be (if I let it) be improvement help.

As far as disrupting the round, that is going to be up to you. The sensor requires no effort, not a tap to the belt, nothing. The only "bad" thing is you have to keep your phone on you or very near you for it to work. The GPS is in the phone and if you leave your phone 10 yards behind you, the shot will register from 10 yards behind you. It took me a little bit to get used to carrying my phone in my back pocket, but now it is no big deal.

I end up with 2-4 penalty shots. What is required to accurately reflect that?

Tap the icon on your phone to add penalty shot but you have to do it at the time or go back after round and edit.

What I haven't figured out is how to account for the loss of distance in a hazard. For example if you hit in the hazard but your ball crosses 80 yards short of where it actually landed in the hazard, your drive will register 180 instead of 260 because it registers the distance of your drive by where you hit the next shot from. Then you're five iron into the green will be from the spot where you take the drop but the machine actually register the drive is 180 yard Drive. Not sure how to deal with that.

Thanks for the tips. I found a $50 PGA Superstore gift card from a golf tourney 2years ago. Bought Arccos about 2 hours before my round. I was able to drive to course, screw in tags, pair, and warmup in time for my round.

It took about 3 holes to get comfortable with the tags and the new application (Golfshot guy). Went 8 over on first 3 holes. Very good (for me) after that.

It wasn't as obtrusive as I expected. It actually grabbed most of my shots. Penalties were easy to register (sad that I got so good at it) putts were hit or miss. If I properly addressed the ball, it worked well. It was my fault if not. Easy to fix between holes. With Golfshot, I would enter my score anyway. Now I just verify my shots and it takes about the same time for changes and just a quick glance if 100%.

I need more rounds and specifically shots with each club to find my trends. I hit more PW and 3W, so I have more info there. Other clubs are lacking.

I hit my 3W much further than I though. The 251yd average will keep the driver in my bag even more than it was previously. I thought I was around 220 and would quickly opt for a driver.

I was .2 handicap out of the sand. 28-30+ everywhere else. Here's to playing smarter based on evidence.

I end up with 2-4 penalty shots. What is required to accurately reflect that?

Tap the icon on your phone to add penalty shot but you have to do it at the time or go back after round and edit.

What I haven't figured out is how to account for the loss of distance in a hazard. For example if you hit in the hazard but your ball crosses 80 yards short of where it actually landed in the hazard, your drive will register 180 instead of 260 because it registers the distance of your drive by where you hit the next shot from. Then you're five iron into the green will be from the spot where you take the drop but the machine actually register the drive is 180 yard Drive. Not sure how to deal with that.

I figure this will work itself out with reps. I assume the system will remove outliers after so many shots are available. Not sure though.

• 2 weeks later...

I have GG, a buddy has Arccos. The amount of screwing around he does with that thing at each hole is crazy. Maybe he's doing it wrong, but he's always complaining it doesn't register a swing, or double registers.

The "tap" for me with the regular GG is a non-issue. It's part of my routine, and I don't even think about it. Played with a couple of other guys and I didn't even realize they were using their GG until I asked, it was that unobtrusive.

From what I've seen, the Arccos website is better. Nicer looking stats, and more stats and filtering. Disappointed in GG in the way their site has proceeded.

I've used Arccos for over 25 rounds this year. The best part is that it validates club distance. Once you get enough rounds in, you don't have to worry about mishits or hazards. They will be statistically eliminated. I also like that it breaks down yardage off the tee vice approach shots (e.g., types of shots taken with a 3w). I don't expect that it can break down every little peculiar shot but it does a good job overall.

Having my phone in my pocket doesn't bother me but it seems to bother others. I only refer to it when I can't see how a hole plays or the distance to hazards. Otherwise, I tend to rely on my Apple Watch to give me FMB distances or a rangefinder to get the flag. I also don't tend to use the app to keep score throughout the round. Most of the time, I use a scorecard and then go back through my rounds later and add penalties, etc. I don't get precise with the pin since I'm not going on the tour anytime soon. I'm more interested in the numbers of putts I take and why. I also enjoy going back over the map and looking at my shots to remember how I played over a round. This has helped my course management particularly by eliminating hero shots.

There were a lot of reports originally about battery life but Arccos issued a software update recently that seems to have gotten rid of/reduced that problem. I also occasionally experience misregistrations due to dropping or banging a club against something. All are negligible if you're paying attention.

GBB Epic 9.0*
Srixon 17*
Taylormade M1 19*
Srixon U65 20*, 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*
Taylormade Tour Spider

How does Arccos handle practice swings?

In essence it uses the last swing from any given spot. You can also hit multiple balls if you want. When you get the ball you want to use, and hit it, Arccos uses that point for a distance for a single stroke. Just don't go hit the second one or you "WILL" register a second shot from the point where you just hit the first of the two balls.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Taylormade M2[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Nike Sumo 3w, 5w[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Nike CPR 26*[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged, 5-PW[/size][/font][/color]
[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]Cleveland 588 RTX 50,54,58[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Scotty Futura X7M DB[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Precision Pro NX7 Pro[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Arccos Game Tracker[/size][/font][/color]